test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Naming Conventions

chadillac5chadillac5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 61
edited March 2013 in Art and Fiction
Greetings friends,

I have searched far and wide to find how races in Forgotten Realms are named. I am currently working on the backgrounds for a Dwarf and Halfling. I am new to the FR world, but not to D&D. In the player's handbook it states that Dwarves get their names passed down to them and the "surname" is the clan's name. It gave some examples but I wondered if there is a list of Dwarf clans to draw my backstory from? I haven't researched the Halfling as in depth but would love some help.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    elminbanelminban Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Do you get a first and surname at character creation?
    2.jpg
  • Options
    chadillac5chadillac5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 61
    edited February 2013
    It isn't defined. But I was able to name my character with a space between his first and surname. So in a way yes.
  • Options
    archiloniarchiloni Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    chadillac5 wrote: »
    It isn't defined. But I was able to name my character with a space between his first and surname. So in a way yes.

yeah you can make spaces in your name and with that, create a first and a sir name. you will also get a handle name, which is your account name so a character like mine could be Theresa@archiloni or theresa archiloni@silvernest depending on what my account will be, the reason is that when you wisper ingame, you can just wisper me at @silvernest and i would get the wisper on whatever chari'm on.

hope that helpes.

as far as lore goes, i'm as lost as you are. i'm a dragonlance oriented player. but i did just make my own house and background story without geografical refrences. haven't been corrected yet.

Best regards:
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ditto on the naming convention. Also, if you play STO and CO - in-game email and chat is across games, too (I see a lot of chat from my STO Fleet and email, too).

I'm a Krynn expatriate also LOL I created a halfling and named it Tasslehoff - no complaints from anyone!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thanks, well perhaps this is not the place to seek answers. But I will continue my search.
  • Options
    rackhamgreg74rackhamgreg74 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    The Wizards site does have a name generator:
    http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article5.asp?x=dnd/dx20010202b,0',500,630)

Which may help you get a sense of the style of names for each race.

For something more specific to the Forgotten Realms setting, this name generator has a number of options for both race and gender:
    http://gos.heaven.is/dnd/randomnames.php

For specific Dwarf clans in the FR setting, you could try here:
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Dwarven_clans

It's 3rd edition I think, but I wouldn't see the clan names changing much between editions.

Hope this helps you in your quest!
    rackham_dane_stag_zps4f4c6695.jpg
  • Options
    ladydwarfladydwarf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Here are the clan names from the Forgotten Realms Dwarves Deep sourcebook (2nd Edition):

Shield Dwarves (aka Northern Dwarves, Mountain Dwarves)
    Arnskull, Battlehammer, Blackbanner, Blackhammer, Bucklebar, Darkfell, Deepaxe, Deepdelve, Eaglecleft, Foehammer, Gallowglar, Hillsafar, Horn, Jundeth, Narlagh, Orothiar, Quarrymaster, Rockfist, Stoneshoulder, Stoneshield, Trueforger, Watchever, Worldthrone, Wyrmslayer, Yund

Gold Dwarves (aka Southern Dwarves, Hill Dwarves)
    Belindorn, Bladebite, Breakadder, Crownshield, Gemscepter, Ghalkin, Goldthumb, Gordrivver, Malthin, Mastemyr, Sorndar, Talnoth, Undurr, Velm, Zord

It seems both styles of clan name (compound word and "realistic") are acceptable for both Shield and Gold dwarves. The book also provides a huge list of possible first names common to each subrace. There's also a page explaining under what circumstances they'll share their clan names and append honorifics, etc. I'm considering doing a separate post about dwarven names in general, since there's lots of interesting lore to learn. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Learn more about this heretical halfling on the Neverwinter Hall of Records or Neverwinter Roleplayers
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Thank you both very much, quite informative. Now I feel like I am making progress.