test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Random Rolls??

2»

Comments

• Options
    aerodt1aerodt1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i like the idea of random rools
  • Options
    malagarrmalagarr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think I'd prefer a point buy system. I'll be the first to admit that I could sit there for eight hours straight trying to get the perfect roll for the character I am creating. Hence, a true "random roll" system would be more painful than anything else, imho.
  • Options
    sutekhonesutekhone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    what is the point of a random roll if players will re-roll continuously until they get the best point allocations? Since you are not limited to how many times you can roll, then may as well continue using limited point distributions optimized for each class.
  • Options
    castagyrecastagyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'd rather not spend hours rolling to be honest, but the system in place with the pretense of rolling is kind of lame. A point buy seems like a better way to do it.
    Remembering Hanlon's Razor can save one a lot on aspirines.
  • Options
    quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The current fake rolls are stupid and needlessly obfuscated, which only serves to hurt new players.

But actual random rolls would be utterly insane.

At the very least, the existing arrays should be made available through a transparent interface. Even just arrow buttons to cycle through the arrays would be fine.

Ideally, I'd like to see either actual 4E arrays, which you can arrange however you like, or even better, point buy.
  • Options
    lordryexlordryex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I kinda understand the frustration of seeing only two sets of re rolls appearing but I will really bet on it that they will apply the standard re roll engines in NW Nights where you can reroll until you are satisfied with your starting stats....unless of course they offer a price for it. *wink wink*

/hopes to get a cut from the profit of PW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    uberguberuberguber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Random rolls cause people to spend hours to get the perfect roll. Look at Wizardry Online. People have spent untold hours trying to get max bonus points even though the odds there are about 1 in 10,000. A set amount of points to spend as we wish sounds like the best way to me.
    Noli sinere te ab improbis opprimi
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Anything would be better than prebuilts. Rolling for hours does suck, but it is still better than a prebuild. Otherwise, obviously, everyone is the same. So devs, if you are listening, either random rolls or a point allocation system please. Like, I would add, pretty much every successful rpg on the planet;).
  • Options
    ddmac69ddmac69 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    why not a choice.. arrays, random rolls, or point buy.. user assigned arrays for those who dont want to roll for hours, random rolls for the gamblers trying to get their perfect rolls, and point buy for the min/maxers.. everybody is happy, and it doesnt take all that much coding, considering all the games that already have these systems
  • Options
    javierenoirjavierenoir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Aye, no MMOer will accept being any intrinsically better or worse than anyone else though - it always has to end up level, so the rolling needs to be optional, for people who jsut want flavour, and buying ability scores is more sane for most people, rather than madly clicking reroll a heap.
  • Options
    martyanyamartyanya Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It could just be a temp situation for beta...
  • Options
    jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I was looking at my Clerics Wis stat while rolling and it varied from +16 - +18. I was also looking at another stat and it was either +17/+18 or +18/+17 but I couldn't get both to +18.

To say there were 2 options is incorrect.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • Options
    sirglenosirgleno Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 75
    edited March 2013
    hadmatter wrote: »
    It's in the User CP. Go to Permission Groups.

Yay! Yay! Yay!
    Dystopia - Impact Cleric
    Nyx - Divine Cleric
    Medusa - Brush Wizard
    Spinnerella - Combat Wizard

Don't forget to update the Wiki!
  • Options
    elthuzarelthuzar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I like the concept of random rolling and definitely prefer it over DDOs point buy, I just feel they need a much larger pool of numbers for the RNG. There is only so many times you can end up with 18,13,13,10,10 and pull your hair out in frustration knowing full well that it is not random at all. Of all D&D computer games, Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil is the only one to have done it right ImO. I'm quite fine rolling a character with 2 or 3 scores under 9 for fun, I'm also not bothered by people that would spend several hours trying to get two natural 18s. It's not going to break anything, let it happen.
  • Options
    christovaochristovao Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My Sugestion: follow the second method of Customizing Scores on D&D Essentials Rules Compendium, page 78.
  • Options
    sand1972sand1972 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 69
    edited March 2013
    hadmatter wrote: »
    Calling it a "roll" is just insulting our intelligence. It's completely transparent and needs to be re-thought. I can't see why a point-buy system wouldn't work.

^ The bolded part. I agree. Same as the "stat increases" on the low level magic gear not actually doing anything other than tricking us into thinking "ooooh I got a shiny!"
  • Options
    joebaejoebae Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 40
    edited March 2013
    With real D&D rules there should be rolls every time a character can get stats upgrades, and that without rerolls.
  • Options
    quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    joebae wrote: »
    With real D&D rules there should be rolls every time a character can get stats upgrades, and that without rerolls.

What edition of D&D has rolls for upgrading stats?
  • Options
    jogoskanindragonjogoskanindragon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 143 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Only roll i can remeber now is when we level up in D&D and receive new Hit Dices.
  • Options
    braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I was glad to see more variety in the "random rolls" in Beta 2... it seemed like the total of all the stat points ranged from 76 to 81 and the total of the three superstats ranged from 44 to 46. So if you had a 20 primary superstat, you could get two 13s for the other two or a 14 and a 12 or a 15 and an 11... although I don't recall the secondary superstats dropping below 13 (but I could be mis-remembering). Non-superstats seemed to never go below 8, as I recall. I listed the various combinations and it looked like over a dozen possibilities or so --- plenty enough to pick the configuration you prefer. MUCH improved over beta-1 :)
  • Options
    ikuruyoikuruyo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    For 4E the main methods of determining your stats (in LFR at least) where either using point buy or arrays. The Arrays were actually the same total value as the point buy, just set in easy to choose sets.

Judging by my "rolls" the max you could get before mods were 18, 13, 13, 10, 10, 8 with the 18 set to your primary and the 13s set to your secondary and tretriary scores. The 8 would wander back and forth among the other 3 stats. That was the only array with an 18, just the 8 was moved around. It was unfortunate that you could not choose to dump the stats in your tretriary score if you wanted to use the 13 is something else, like CON. Was rolling up a Control Wizard and basically rolled until I got the 8 in STR.

Hoping we get more options later.
  • Options
    venomdemmevenomdemme Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 42
    edited March 2013
    dark0v wrote: »
    Quite frankly, it is rubbish how they've handled it.

If they aren't going to give us real random rolls then they should just let us assign a fixed number of points as we see fit.

I agree with this. I was hoping for something like Baldur's Gate. Which is was almost impossible to get the prefect stats. Making me super sad to see this junk. This set up only punish players when it comes down to it. As we will be force to pick races base on what based on the class we plan to play. If we want to get the most out of out characters.
  • Options
    tehsilphtehsilph Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    im also for a point buy system.
  • Options
    stormhammystormhammy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    True random roll is just silly especially in a game with PvP.
    You'll have intrinsically superior players because they got lucky or because they were willing to spend hours/days rolling until they achieve perfect stats.
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows./Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope.
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
  • Options
    im4peaceim4peace Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah They should get rid of the roll and allow you to allocate points because after re-rolling a hundred times you only get a few options of either maxing out the primary attribute (20) with low (10) to okay (12) secondary skills or having a good primary attribute score (17 -18) but with a decent (13 -14) secondary attribute score. It is obvious they are not allowing people to re-reroll until the get a perfect so what they should do is have all attributes at start with a score of 10 and give the user 16 points to add therefore they would end up with the same results and a better user experience.
  • Options
    thaniithanii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think the "roll a dice" effect is just here to make things "D&D like". All set of stats are premade...
    But make a true dice roll for stats is a bad idea we all have more imporant things to do in this game than rolling dice the entire day !
    8.jpg