test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Menzoberranzan

alex1g007alex1g007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
Any chances we will see the great city of Menzoberranzan in the game?
Post edited by alex1g007 on

Comments

• babylonbabylon Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Is this thread a place for us to guess the odds, or is it a suggestion to the devs?

My guess...95% chance.
    THIS IS CLERIC AGGRO IN BW3
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yeah can't see how we won't seriously, the opportunity to sell all of these Underdark themed items won't be passed up.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    babylon wrote: »
    Is this thread a place for us to guess the odds, or is it a suggestion to the devs?

My guess...95% chance.

I think it totally depends on how well financially the game does. If it does really well I expect to see lots of new cities and locations. If it does poorly.....:(
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    alex1g007 wrote: »
    By Cryptic, by players using the Foundry or by both?
  • evilfish82evilfish82 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    shiaika wrote: »
    By Cryptic, by players using the Foundry or by both?

Let's face it, unless it's by Cryptic it won't be as good (I am aware there are talented people out there but they won't have all the resources at their disposal while Cryptic will).

I expect they'll add it along with the Underdark at some point (porbably qute soon) cause the underdark theme sells well, if not the best.
  • viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Menzoberranzan is the place I want to see most, followed very very closely by Gauntylgrym.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • razorrxgdbrazorrxgdb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am sure Menzo will be created either by cryptic or many times by foundry users.

Me, I am not that into Menzo myself, I would prefer to wander the sword coast, maybe head to the inner sea, walk the woods of Myth Drannor, etc.
  • jpdegraafjpdegraaf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 48
    edited February 2013
    I'd say you'll see it sooner in the Foundry. Most likely Cryptic will focus on expanding Faerun's surface world before touching the Underdark. Played on a NWN2 server for a while set in the Silver Marches that had a pretty good version of Menzo. And it took forever to get there if you weren't an UD race.
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."
  • firesnakeariesfiresnakearies Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'd love to see Menzoberranzan added eventually. That would be really cool.

Gauntylgrym is already in the game, and at least one of the large open zones in the game is an Underdark zone.
  • ashrox10ashrox10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    alex1g007 wrote: »

The fact we see the race suggests at one point we shall see the city. :)
    Vuxadin@Kaelangx on Mindflayer.
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
  • noolidnerdnoolidnerd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    It would be great to see some Drow themed resources in the Foundry Utility.

Though I wonder to what extent did the Spellplague affect the Underdark.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • neppanaattorineppanaattori Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'd love to see Menzoberranzan added eventually.

I'd rather not, because i have an imaginary image of how it looks and i rather not it be spoiled by anyone.
  • jdk2011jdk2011 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 89
    edited February 2013

Gauntylgrym is already in the game, and at least one of the large open zones in the game is an Underdark zone.

How do you know this?
  • jdk2011jdk2011 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 89
    edited February 2013
    I'd rather not, because i have an imaginary image of how it looks and i rather not it be spoiled by anyone.

Why play the game at all then?
  • neppanaattorineppanaattori Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jdk2011 wrote: »
    Why play the game at all then?

I'm not entirely sure how i'm supposed to take that comment, if you're referring to "the books cover forgotten realms" and the game is about forgotten realms.. sure, i can live with that.
    But Menzoberranzan is a 'sacred' place to me as a reader and only a handful of surface-dwellers have ever been down there and lived to talk about it. It'd be sacrilegious to let hundreds of thousand of surface-dwellers to go there and "live to talk about it".

Bare in mind that i've not read Gauntlgrym yet (Ghost king was the last i read), so if there is something i'm talking about that i don't know, just say so, but please, refrain from spoiling :)

Nevertheless, if Menzo would to this day be occupied by the houses, i doubt a 5-man party would survive 5 minutes down there, let alone ever get back to surface to tell the wonders of the city.

To answers your question, as an honest question? Because it's Dungeons and Dragons in the Forgotten Realms!

ps. my previous post was a personal remark, i like how i see menzo in my mind, i rather no one spoil it visually for me, but if it comes to that, i'll live.
    edited February 2013
    Based on the fact that there will be thousands of Renegade Drow Drizzt wannabes running around, I dont really think its possible to keep anything "sacred". You have to take the game for what it is, a chance to live out the fantasy of being a hero in forgotten realms. They wont be re-writing any of the books and I understand that this is Neverwinter from the artists and developers perspective, so I take it for what its worth. So far I think their vision of it is great and pretty damn good. I personally would love to visit Menzo and every other place I've read about. In my experience, the level of detail and creativity that they can create beats what I had in my head anyway. Thats why they get paid the big bucks!
  • wulfster42wulfster42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 183 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Gauntylgrym is in the game. I think I heard it in one of the interviews but also the Neverwinter books by R A Salvator are made to work with this game, and Gauntylgrym is a big part of those books.

As far as Mez, I think we are going to be seeing more of it in the next book, which might make it more likely to see it in this game as well. Even when I eventually make a two weapon ranger, I won't be making him a drow...cause there is only (and should only) be one drizzt. I'll be making my 2 weapon ranger a halfling for sure.
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    wulfster42 wrote: »
    Even when I eventually make a two weapon ranger, I won't be making him a drow...cause there is only (and should only) be one drizzt.
    Sorry but Drizzt doesn't have Two-blade Ranger as exclusive class. It'll be available for the rest of races, included other drows (that are not clones of that character).:)
  • asumah1asumah1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited February 2013
    Cant have FR game without Menzoberranzan, would be insanity. They even shoe-horned the Underdark into DDO.
  • kingslayer74kingslayer74 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 75
    edited February 2013
    As long as we get Beholders, Mind Flayers, Umberhulks, and the other regular denizens of the Underdark, I'll be extremely happy if we get Menzoberranzan. Because let's face it...the Underdark is so much more than just Drow running around.
  • eljacko56eljacko56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If we do get to go to Menzoberranzan, it will most likely be as a dungeon, rather than an explorable hub. Unfortunately, the game seems to make the assumption that the player character is good-aligned. No evil gods are available and the promotional material for the drow pretty clearly paints the drow player character as an exception to the drow-are-evil rule. Conversely, Menzoberranzan is inhabited almost exclusively by evil-aligned characters, so I doubt we'll get to interact with it beyond slaughtering things against a Menzoberranzan-shaped backdrop.
  • wulfster42wulfster42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 183 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    shiaika wrote: »
    Sorry but Drizzt doesn't have Two-blade Ranger as exclusive class. It'll be available for the rest of races, included other drows (that are not clones of that character).:)

While I understand what you are saying, there really is only 1 two weapon ranger drow in FR...and making another such character combination would seem....wrong to me. Drow on the surface are extremely rare, but drow that also happen to be trained to revere nature and have the temperment to be a ranger? Pretty much unique.

Anyway it's just a personal choice, not saying anyone else couldn't or shouldn't make one, I just won't be making my ranger a drow.

I like my rangers pint sized please:)
    edited February 2013
    Speaking of beholders etc.....

Are saving throws even in the game? I did get poisoned etc in the game, but I'm not sure if I was ever making saving throws at all to be honest.

How does a beholder even work without saving throws?
  • kingslayer74kingslayer74 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 75
    edited February 2013
    wulfster42 wrote: »
    Speaking of beholders etc.....

Are saving throws even in the game? I did get poisoned etc in the game, but I'm not sure if I was ever making saving throws at all to be honest.

How does a beholder even work without saving throws?

That's a good question and I'm not sure what the answer is. However, here's to hoping they have some kind of mechanic that either is for saving throws or something similar. I'm really hoping the content of this game isn't dumbed down to lame & boring because it's just point & click gameplay.
  • dunnlangdunnlang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Beholders in 4e were a pale shadow of what they were in previous editions. Most of the effects of their eye rays were not easily replicated in the new system.

There are saves in 4e, but not really by any specific type. Essentially at the end of a turn, you get a roll against each effect. Baring situational bonuses, you have a flat 55% chance to save against any given effect.

Since there is not really any such thing as magic in 4e, the Anti-Magic ray of the Beholders was the most difficult to adapt.
    [SIGPIC]Want to know more about Cryptic's hidden lottery odds and outcomes? Read my posts below.[/SIGPIC]
    Lock Boxes: The true value - (thread link)
    Jem'Hadar Bug Odds - (thread link)
    Galor Creation Rate - (thread link)
    Find me in TSW - TSW Chronicle Profile
  • stormy1981stormy1981 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    looking forward to any underdark exploration
  • bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I'd expect us to see Chad Nesad before we ever see Menzo.
  • raist31raist31 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    YOu will definitely be seeing it through the foundry from us. We were a Hall of Fame Neverwinter Nights Design team and plan to put the same effort if not more into this version. That being said, a lot of that will rely on what options the Foundry will have available to us, and what sort of custom content we will be allowed to add of our own. We are always looking for new team members to help with the build of it as well if anyone is wanting to help reach their goal of seeing the great city in game at some point.

Please feel free to PM either me or Rizogue if you have any interest in being in our Menzoberranzan guild or on our build team. We will be more than willing to talk to any level of help. there are always small jobs that can be done in the building process :)

Hope to see you guys in game soon!
  • pariahsevenx2pariahsevenx2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Agree with u guys... As a FR game it is appropriate to have Menzoberranzan (or more parts of Underdark).. Waiting to fight the damned Illithids and Beholders, or at least in storyline-driven quest like helping Drizzt going through Menzoberranzan once more...
  • wardenmwardenm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited April 2013
    I'd expect us to see Chad Nesad before we ever see Menzo.

That was kind of my thought, too. Menzo is a living, thriving city whereas Ched Nassad is as far as I'm aware now just a ruin... making it much more suitable for a dungeon crawl.