test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The great cleric Q&A thread.

aragoharagoh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2013 in The Temple
Alright everyone just got done doing beta weekend one and I leveled the cleric from level 1-30 and played a lot on it since its most likely going to be my main now go figure. If anyone has any cleric questions that didn't get into the beta this weekend I am opening up this thread to answer and and all questions.

Remember that since this is from beta weekend number one all the information and stuff in subject to be changed so be aware but let the questions come!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Credit: Syreian: Devient Art
Post edited by aragoh on

Comments

• denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Can you tell me the progression of Encounter and Daily powers?

And, if you are able to remember that kind of details, could you tell me the difference between normal and divine powered powers?

Thanks in advance.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Did it feel like it was "missing" anything as far as rituals, importance of deity, powers, cleansing areas, turning undead, or general roleplaying was concerned? I'm not talking about gear, couldn't equip this or that, kind of thing (it was only in beta, I understand). Or is that too broad?
  • nec0enec0e Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    daily powers were guardian of the faith, hallowed ground and firestrike (name could be wrong), heal, buff/debuff and dmg. there were no non-divine powers.
    edited February 2013
    nec0e wrote: »
    daily powers were guardian of the faith, hallowed ground and firestrike (name could be wrong), heal, buff/debuff and dmg. there were no non-divine powers.

It should be flame strike or firestorm (probably the first one).

Thanks, but what i wanted to know was the difference between divine charged and non charged powers.

St. Augustinus
  • tehsigtehsig Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 54
    edited February 2013
    Divine was impressive power jump for the encounter abilities. Generally a boost in effect came with each powered ability. Ifsomething had charge up time before release, divine power made it instant and bigger. The PBAOE heal/damage spell also got significant knock back added.
    edited February 2013
    Since we're already in a Q&A thread, i'd ask you if you have seen the paragon paths alternatives.

St. Augustinus
  • monthre53monthre53 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I played to 17 and enjoyed the healer.
  • aragoharagoh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    @ denkasaeba : The progression of daily powers goes from the first one you get that does dmg and heals allies around the target that gets hit. The second and third ones you get are a straight dmg cool down basically and the large area buff that helps your teammates. If I can find where screen shots go I can post some of the abilities here but I need to find them first.

Now encounter powers are different, they tier between dmg and healing all the way down to 30 then they change depending on which paragon path you choose at lvl 30,there was only one path available for beta so I got some spells that were all about shielding dmg on your friends and absorbs.

To answer your last question the difference between normal powers apposed to divine charge abilities is pretty cool. a normal ability will have dmg or healing on it depending on the spell and might have some charge time before it goes off, but when you are in your divine state those spells are augmented to do editional dmg and possibly have an added affect tacked on to the ability. Sunburst comes to mind, when you hit targets with sunburst normally it just does dmg and heals allies around you, when its divine charged it does the same thing except more powerful and now it knocks back enemies after it goes off. Hope that answered all your questions.

@ruinedmirage: Not to broad at all, so cleric in this game is based off of 4e so its a ranged caster type cleric, in 4e the importance of god and alignment were basically taken out in favor of being able to tell richer stories without people arguing about what their god or alignment would allow them to do so deity choice and back story are just there for you to build your character a bit and have no impact on the game as of yet.

I didn't see anything about turning undead but that might come with another paragon path or something we didn't have access to this weekend and the general role play aspect of cleric is intact you have some daily powers and even some encounter abilities that "cleanse" the area healing your team or buffing them with divine light to aid your in your adventures. Hope I answered your question correctly if I didn't feel free to comment again and ask for clarification.
  • kerogikerogi Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    A quick question on the healing side, Are you required to do a fair amount of dps to heal effectivly? Also how does healing work with the no mouse clicky way of healing, i.e for direct heals on a player?
    edited February 2013
    @Kerogi I figured a lot of people would have questions about this, you are not required to do a ton of dps with cleric to heal good at the higher levels, but before you get higher in the levels you need to make sure you keep your seal skill up that you saw in the cleric reveal video and hit all the mobs you can with it and hit stuff to heal your friends with spear of light and sunburst really comes in handy for healing earlier on for dungeons like cloak tower and the first event Orc Assault.

The way you heal takes a bit of time to get used to you need to make sure you have good control of your key binds and really watch how people are moving around so you can aim some of you direct heals at them. A lot of the big heals that I was starting to get though without gear were large AoE heals that can dmg enemies and heal allies (your daily powers are a prime example). Also when you have divine charges all the way up you can channel a healing beam into a teammate for good single target heal. Hope I answered your question correctly if I didn't just post again for clarification.

denkasaeba
    During the beta only one paragon path that you got to choose was available they said that more are coming soon. But if you mean the talent tree stuff then most of them dealt with healing but some of the talents since you can end up taking a lot of different stuff, you could end up a lot of different cleric builds at the end. Feats and gear choice are what are really going to make your character different from other people.
  • morgonttimorgontti Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I find you don't have to do a great deal of DPS to heal alright, however it helps alot. My Cleric, used all the AE heal/DPS spells he had and I never had to actively heal anyone. I'm sure it changes eventually, but so long as the DPS and tanks stay close together, healing will be cake.
    Dwarven women have no beard, and if a dwarf woman has beard, there is always beer to make it better.

Remy Rockhammer@morgontti - 30th Dwarven Cleric

7vtbanner.jpg
  • nethershadowsnethershadows Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Although I don't know the most about DnD I do know MMOs, that said with the cleric do I have the ability that, if I so choose I can be a hybrid of DPS with a few big heals to help out the party as we go along? Or at later levels will I be diverted to the same stand back and be the heal <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, so to speak? I've always wanted to play a healer class that I can DPS as e.e
  • pugdaddypugdaddy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 249 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Any Rez spell?
  • zeruinzeruin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So I recall seeing a screenshot of the 3 Paragon paths somewhere.. can you clarify what they were?

I don't remember the names, but I think it was something like this:
    1) Offensive magic cleric, heals
    2) Heals and buffs
    3) Temporary HP buffs, heals

The first path is for those who may want to be a magical dps Cleric or play off-healer. The 2nd path seemed like the closest thing to a true support healer.. but the 3rd path could be a close contender from the sounds of it.. without seeing the following skill trees, it's hard to say.
  • klaw10klaw10 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Although I don't know the most about DnD I do know MMOs, that said with the cleric do I have the ability that, if I so choose I can be a hybrid of DPS with a few big heals to help out the party as we go along? Or at later levels will I be diverted to the same stand back and be the heal <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, so to speak? I've always wanted to play a healer class that I can DPS as e.e

Most of the early powers do both together which I found handy in the orc attack mission. There looked like some nice aoe attacks later in the dailies tree, so yes.
    Sig_zpse9729709.png
  • klaw10klaw10 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    pugdaddy wrote: »
    Any Rez spell?

Everyone can rez (takes time though).
    Sig_zpse9729709.png
  • foolishlobsterfoolishlobster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zeruin wrote: »
    So I recall seeing a screenshot of the 3 Paragon paths somewhere.. can you clarify what they were?

I don't remember the names, but I think it was something like this:
    1) Offensive magic cleric, heals
    2) Heals and buffs
    3) Temporary HP buffs, heals

The first path is for those who may want to be a magical dps Cleric or play off-healer. The 2nd path seemed like the closest thing to a true support healer.. but the 3rd path could be a close contender from the sounds of it.. without seeing the following skill trees, it's hard to say.

It was weird. In the feat tree, the Paragon paths were called something different than the Power tree Paragon paths. The only true name revealed was for the DPS Cleric, the Divine Oracle, and their feat tree was called Virtuous. So not sure what the other two paths are called but you are right about what each of them do. Personally I can't wait to hit the second Paragon path.
  • tehsigtehsig Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 54
    edited February 2013
    Direct heals on a player is ridiculous. In the level 30 Queue to defend whatever, which I only played with 20 minutes left of server time, keeping any one person up was a crapshoot because of how the targeting reticule works. If they move or you move, you lose target and the spell that should hit both of you with a HoT instead pops on just you.
    Now, there is ONE means of altering that. if you hold down control the ENTIRE TIME, you can lock your present target in and not let go until you release CTRL. As you move around, that person will stay camera center, rotating you around him or her. Pinky fatigue!
    edited February 2013
    I got used to targeting my heals quite quickly to be honest, I think everyone will just need some time healing with the cleric to really get used to the action style combat healing.
  • nik80nik80 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    kerogi wrote: »
    Also how does healing work with the no mouse clicky way of healing, i.e for direct heals on a player?

This is pretty much my question. I watched a fair amount of cleric beta footage, specifically in the cloak tower dungeon, and it seemed that at times it could be very difficult to target specific players for direct heals. I thought this seemed like it would be especially difficult when trying to aim direct heals at the trickster rogue given that the mechanics of the class involve a large amount of moving around, stealthing and flanking. What are your thoughts on the targeting of allies for direct heals and how, if at all, were you able to mitigate any difficulties in this area?
    edited February 2013
    thanks for the gentle reply, Aragoh.

St. Augustinus
    edited February 2013
    nik80 wrote: »
    This is pretty much my question. I watched a fair amount of cleric beta footage, specifically in the cloak tower dungeon, and it seemed that at times it could be very difficult to target specific players for direct heals. I thought this seemed like it would be especially difficult when trying to aim direct heals at the trickster rogue given that the mechanics of the class involve a large amount of moving around, stealthing and flanking. What are your thoughts on the targeting of allies for direct heals and how, if at all, were you able to mitigate any difficulties in this area?

Think I answered this in another reply but I cant remember so I can explain a bit, most of the good heals you will get in this game will be AoE based for your big stuff, you get some single target heals that are on charges and will put a HoT on your target and you and the way you sticky target someone is hold the alt key down while aiming at someone and you will "lock" on them until you release the alt key.

With health pots and you defensive shielding abilities/AoE heals you should have no trouble keeping your group alive. Hope I answered your question.
    edited February 2013
    aragoh wrote: »
    Think I answered this in another reply but I cant remember so I can explain a bit, most of the good heals you will get in this game will be AoE based for your big stuff, you get some single target heals that are on charges and will put a HoT on your target and you and the way you sticky target someone is hold the alt key down while aiming at someone and you will "lock" on them until you release the alt key.

With health pots and you defensive shielding abilities/AoE heals you should have no trouble keeping your group alive. Hope I answered your question.

Yup this is great, thanks so much for going into some detail on this mechanic.
  • turokhammerstoneturokhammerstone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The Cleric class seems to be a class that favors Cool Downs "Recovery". Since there is no Mana or essence to worry about depleting, you can just spam away on your abilities. I'll have to do more research to see what each Ability does (WIS, CHA, CON, STR...), I think stacking Recovery and Power may be the way to go. Heal hard and heal fast. There is a cap of 40% Cool Down in the game League of Legends. I wonder if they have a cap or diminishing returns for Recovery.

If anyone has any good info on how Ability scores affect the mechanics I would love to know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    The Cleric class seems to be a class that favors Cool Downs "Recovery". Since there is no Mana or essence to worry about depleting, you can just spam away on your abilities. I'll have to do more research to see what each Ability does (WIS, CHA, CON, STR...), I think stacking Recovery and Power may be the way to go. Heal hard and heal fast. There is a cap of 40% Cool Down in the game League of Legends. I wonder if they have a cap or diminishing returns for Recovery.

If anyone has any good info on how Ability scores affect the mechanics I would love to know.

I didn't do a lot research a lot of how ability scores effect ability's since I wanted to find some better itemized gear before that, but I totally agree with your assumption of how recovery works, since recovery lowers the overall cool downs of ability's it will be a valuable stat for clerics, as well as power. But I wouldn't totally ignore some of the other stats like Critical strike and such, since heals and ability's like daily powers that do damage and heal the area around them can crit and improve their effectiveness. I can however give you a basic breakdown on the general effectiveness of some of the core stats.

STR: Believe it or not strength is actually not a terrible stat for cleric, it basically improves critical strike rating across the board for a number of different sub-section abilities. Making it a pretty good state along with Wisdom for the dps cleric.

WIS: Wisdom is your main stat, I tried to roll it as high as possible since I figured it would be pretty important, it effects power/recovery and a lot of other smaller sub-section stats as well.

CON: Pretty basic stat for most games, improves your health pool by X amount of health points depending on how many stat rolls you invest in it. Health seemed pretty good for me so I didn't put any points really into it but that might change between now and launch.

CHA: This is the only stat that I didn't really invest a lot of time in researching, I will look at it more next month but for now if anyone else has any information on that stat I would appreciate it.

Hope I answered your question correctly if I didn't make sure to post again and yell at me for clarification.
  • kojekoje Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have been trying to wrap my head around what they have done with ability scores as well and from what I have seen it is completly different than pen & paper 4e.

First thing to know is that all ability scores give some positive passive buff. The game will tell you that one ability is your primary stat and force you to make that your highest score when you "roll" but really they all are useful so there is no real dump stat for any class.

Second it seems the buffs you get from each ability differ between each class. For example, the trickster rogue gets + crit chance based on Dex score but other classes do not. Guardian gets +damage resistance from Con but other classes do not.

Here are two videos made by Ragnaruss during the beta weekend that show the tooltips from each ability in the character sheet. One is for the Guardian and the other is Trickster. You can see the list of passive buffs you get are different between the two classes.

Guardian
    http://www.twitch.tv/ragnar21583/b/366164435

Trickster
    http://www.twitch.tv/ragnar21583/b/366187825
    edited February 2013
    koje wrote: »
    Second it seems the buffs you get from each ability differ between each class. For example, the trickster rogue gets + crit chance based on Dex score but other classes do not. Guardian gets +damage resistance from Con but other classes do not.

This is a great catch, I had not noticed this in watching many videos over the past week. I guess I had not assumed that different classes would get different bonuses from the same stat, so I just wasn't looking for it. Good stuff.
    edited February 2013
    Ya classes get different bonuses from the stats, I thought it was a pretty interesting move to go with that kind of system. I feel like I do not have to stick to only one stat to be good(Stacking Wisdom would be pretty boring in my opinion). I can branch my character out depending on what I want to do an can choose to spend my points more in some of the off stats to get say (crit chance) for a dps cleric.
  • turokhammerstoneturokhammerstone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for the reply Aragoh. It was helpful. I did see INT helps on Cool Downs also on the Fighter and the Rogue with the links provided by Koje
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    Not a problem, I started this thread to not only get people more interested in cleric before the 2nd and 3rd beta weekends but to also answer any and all questions I can, and I see other people are chipping in as well so that is always nice!