test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What are you going to do while you wait?

indy20indy20 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I'm planning on burning through RA Salvatore's Neverwinter Saga. I haven't gotten deep into the Forgotten Realm lore since Neverwinter Nights (the non obsidian entertainment one). I played that game for a long period of time but I haven't really played anything NWN related since. Has anything good single player come out since then that's worth trying while waiting on NWO to launch? I've tried Googling a few things such as movies or animated films regarding Forgotten Realms but didn't really get any legit results. I see there are plenty of books on the lore.

I'm planning on buying the 200$ founder pack before the next beta weekend. If I'm dropping that much on a game I want to immerse myself in the world and the lore. Any suggestions are welcomed.
Post edited by indy20 on

Comments

• ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited February 2013
    Although the game isn't based off of previous single player Faerun titles like NWN1 and 2, using those game to familiarise yourself with the lore couldn't hurt. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are also exceptional games, as are the Icewind Dale games. BG1 was recently remastered and re-released as Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. The Fourth Edition books also have a lot in them about the lore of the realms. There's already a Neverwinter Wiki that gets updated relatively frequently.
  • quetumquetum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm currently rereading my 4th edition Player's Handbooks. :p
  • pansapienpansapien Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've never read anything Forgotten Realms related. What books should I start with?
  • ragnarlawlragnarlawl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    quetum wrote: »
    I'm currently rereading my 4th edition Player's Handbooks. :p

Hah! Yeah I'll probably be chopping up clips of the footage and playing some TT 4e
    [TMG] Ragnaruss www.topmarksgaming.org
  • indy20indy20 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yeah I downloaded the 4th edition PDF's. I'm in the process of reinstalling NWN2. I'm currently reading Gauntlgrym, really loving it so far. I tried Icewind dale but I couldn't handle the graphics haha. Felt like I was playing Diablo. Yeah Baldurs gate is an epic game. I wish that the ones who did Dark Alliance 1 & 2 didn't go bankrupt. The third game in that series looked promising.
    edited February 2013
    pansapien wrote: »
    I've never read anything Forgotten Realms related. What books should I start with?

I'd probably start with the PDF's on the campaign setting.
  • arythorarythor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I will do what I did before the first beta weekend: work, go to the gym, and read various forums and blogs, in addition to watching cable series (almost done season 7 of Dexter!). I am not playing any other MMORPGs right now and there are no video games that interest me. I may read over some Forgotten Realms material to refresh my memory (and learn some new things), but I do not plan on reading very much.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Rocking back and forth in a corner.

Seriously reading over the Nevewinter Campaign guide, and doing a outline to my first module.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    indy20 wrote: »
    Yeah I downloaded the 4th edition PDF's. I'm in the process of reinstalling NWN2. I'm currently reading Gauntlgrym, really loving it so far. I tried Icewind dale but I couldn't handle the graphics haha. Felt like I was playing Diablo. Yeah Baldurs gate is an epic game. I wish that the ones who did Dark Alliance 1 & 2 didn't go bankrupt. The third game in that series looked promising.

I just finished Gauntlgrym moving on to the next one. I am also playing EQ2 inbetween.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    bobcat1313 wrote: »
    I just finished Gauntlgrym moving on to the next one. I am also playing EQ2 inbetween.

I was really surprised how good that series is, I think Salvatore lost his chops in the Transitions series but these were much more like his original novels.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
    edited February 2013
    Updating NWN2 as of now and reading Gauntlgrym. Let me know how you like the next book @bobcat.
  • jayicidejayicide Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm going to live my life.. I'm afraid it'll be over once this game is released.
    nwbeta01.png
  • bedroomjesusbedroomjesus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0
    edited February 2013
    I'd suggest R.A. Salvatore's "Dark Elf Trilogy" and "Icewind Dale Trilogy".
  • highjusticarhighjusticar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0
    edited February 2013
    I'd suggest R.A. Salvatore's "Dark Elf Trilogy" and "Icewind Dale Trilogy".

At least then you will understand why there are 50 million variations of Drizzt.

I am tempted to make a Gnome ranger when they get in and name him, Drizztelplik.
  • keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think I will get as far away from these forums as possible and work on some more ideas I have for foundry stuff. The level of childish complaining has gone up by at least an order of magnitude since before the first beta weekend. It is rivaling "mommy if you don't buy me that I am going to hold my breathe til you do" levels.
  • zeruinzeruin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Tera recently went free 2 play.. just saying :rolleyes:
  • mensarmensar Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Playing Champions Online mostly.

Love that game.

This message brought to you by the superhero:
    Bacon Overlord

All available action figures, check.
    Hit the global cap, check.
    All lore and event perks done, check.
    All 1K mob perks done, check.
    All nemesis mob perks done, check.
    Break 20,000 perk points, check.
    Complete all 5K perk points, stay tuned!

Come see me on steam (be friends, drink fine wines, clink glasses and KILL STUFF ONLINE!)
  • zeruinzeruin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Not the hijack this thread, but any idea why I can reply to posts, but not create New Topics?
  • johnny305johnny305 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Playing Tera, Path of Exile and other games. Also reading up more on Elder Scrolls Online and ArcheAge.

I hope I get to play Neverwinter soon, if not I have plenty of games to play, but would enjoy next beta weekend, I loved D&D online it just started to feel dated as hell as far as the engine, graphics.
    edited February 2013
    Went to check out MMORPG.com's twitch and saw that they were streaming some DAoC gameplay. I might play that till NWO launch.
  • arythorarythor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    zeruin wrote: »
    Not the hijack this thread, but any idea why I can reply to posts, but not create New Topics?

I believe new accounts cannot create new topics for a period of time as an anti-spam measure. I noticed your account was made this month so if it is very new that may be the reason.
  • kinkad13kinkad13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Going to watch all the press beta videos I haven't seen yet and rewatch all the ones I have so I can get a good look at the game so I can deside if I want to buy a pack before next beta.
  • pugdaddypugdaddy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 249 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I'll keep messing around on Champions Online for a while. I'm trying to save enough Zen to buy some good archetypes to play when I stop paying sub and go down to Silver.
    When is Neverwinter going live? Sometime in March?
  • kadlenakadlena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298
    edited February 2013
    1. Doing the laundry I "forgot" to do during the weekend.
    2. Catching up on paperwork at the office. I was already behind before I called in "sick" on Friday.
    3. My taxes.
    4. Other people's taxes.

Wow, that list looks sooo depressing.....really just tying up a bunch of loose ends, so I'll have more free time to play in March.

***Makes a big pouty face and cries "I want my Beta back!"***
  • deathreaper4udeathreaper4u Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Playing Wizardry online and reading salatores new trilogy neverwinter
    COME WITH ME !
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Playing CO :)
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • geddings12geddings12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    well i was smart enough to make about 16 demo files in the beta (through the demorecord/playback tool which you can actually repull up without logging in so...i may do so from time to time to "look around" the city for fun just because i can (cant play the game but basically can load up the map and freecam around ;-) seeing the sights hehe. but other then that level up more in guild wars 2 (still low level) and do the same with Star Trek Online :-D
    edited February 2013
    Yeah downloaded the Dark Age of Camelot trial. I used to play this game way back. It's interesting that there still seems to be a player base.
  • zentrasizentrasi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Playing TERA since it's F2P now and has the same type of action combat. It's also a AAA title and looks amazing. Go visit the High Elf city there to see what I'm talking about.
  • trollololloltrollolollol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Bought Skyrim expansions and Borderlands 2 recently, that should keep me occupied. Plans for the future are to play this and Defiance.