test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wonder why Great Weapon Fighter isn't just a Barbarian

shinzelshinzel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
edited March 2013 in The Militia Barracks
...Mainly because I think it'll feel redundant to a lot of folks to have two fighter classes. Not that the Guardian Fighter and the Great Weapon Fighter are the same at all; I Just figure a person interested in the game but not yet sold would get tripped up on the titling. I know it had me confused at first: "So are these two different specs? They're different classes? Then why are they called the same thing?"

Barbarian could still do the off-tank/DPS thing. Add in some kind of damage resist mechanics and a rage mechanic, change some of the aesthetics on Great Weapon Fighter armor (and the armor class, too, I guess, so it's not platemail).

I dunno. Just strikes me as weird every time I try to talk about the GW Fighter. Anyone else have similar thoughts?
Post edited by shinzel on

Comments

• quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Probably to avoid "Fighters aren't just tanks!" complaints.
  • shinzelshinzel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yeah but couldn't that have been solved with Prestige classes? I get it, but I dunno. Just seemed like a weird thing to do.
  • percyxenospercyxenos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The Great Weapon Fighter is actually a class in 4e D&D that's probably why. In the actual 4e book, you can choose to have either a Great Weapon Fighter or Guardian fighter.
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    percyxenos wrote: »
    The Great Weapon Fighter is actually a class in 4e D&D that's probably why. In the actual 4e book, you can choose to have either a Great Weapon Fighter or Guardian fighter.

Yeah, except that 4E's Great Weapon Fighter is still a tank, just one with slightly better damage output, and slightly worse AC. He's not a striker like the Rogue and Ranger.

There was no Fighter striker build until Essentials brought the Slayer. Although Fighters do tend to have higher damage output than other defenders.
    edited February 2013
    Well, I was thinking about it mostly in terms of naming. Just seems to make more sense to just name the Great Weapon Fighter something different because the naming wouldn't be redundant. This is a different class, so it should have a different name, seems to me. It'd make more sense in terms of the medium, too.
  • percyxenospercyxenos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well it seems as if they're going with a lot of the names and terms from 4e. As far as I can see, all of the other class names are straight from the 4e Players Handbook.

And the GW fighter from the description of the site sounds like he could be used as an off-tank. Then again, I haven't seen his skill setup or talent trees, so I don't know how effective he can be. But it seems he can have some degree of tanking. Kind of like a Swordmaster from Warhammer Online.
  • gammanshadowrushgammanshadowrush Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The Great Weapon Fighter is named the way it is because all the classes in Neverwinter are based on D&D 4E Builds. And if they plan to add more classes based on these they most likely need to follow the convention.

For example in D&D, for fighters you have stuff like:

- Guardian Fighter (currently in game)
    - Great Weapon Fighter (currently in game)
    - Tempest Fighter
    - Battlerager Fighter

Some examples of Rogue builds in 4th ed D&D are:

- Trickster Rogue (currently in game)
    - Brawny Rogue

Some examples of clerics from 4th ed D&D are:

- Devoted Cleric (currently in game)
    - Battle Cleric

And so on and so forth. So they can't really name a fighter build as a barbarian. For one thing there are actually Barbarian builds in D&D 4th edition. Some examples from 4th ed are:

- Rageblood Barbarian
    - Thaneborn Barbarian

I'm pretty sure Cryptic wants the possibility open to them of adding more of these builds and as many them as possible as classes in Neverwinter, for the future. That's most likely why they are sticking with the naming convention from D&D.
  • razorjack156razorjack156 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    With their relatively small number of powers for each class and narrowed advancement, it should hopefully not take too much effort to add classes as time goes on, since they can easily draw on the armor and weapons existing for future careers. Of course, animations and spell effects will continue to be the main sticking point but hopefully it will take care of the feeling that the game is too restrictive to many that would have preferred the other build of the class currently available be in game.
  • virkules1virkules1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Would be awesome to see a Battle Cleric in game it just does not feel right to not have a cleric with a sheild and mace.
    edited February 2013
    The Great Weapon Fighter is named the way it is because all the classes in Neverwinter are based on D&D 4E Builds. And if they plan to add more classes based on these they most likely need to follow the convention.

- Tempest Fighter
    - Battlerager Fighter

- Brawny Rogue

- Battle Cleric

And so on and so forth. So they can't really name a fighter build as a barbarian. For one thing there are actually Barbarian builds in D&D 4th edition. Some examples from 4th ed are:

- Rageblood Barbarian
    - Thaneborn Barbarian

I'm pretty sure Cryptic wants the possibility open to them of adding more of these builds and as many them as possible as classes in Neverwinter, for the future. That's most likely why they are sticking with the naming convention from D&D.

Ahh, I see. Thanks. I didn't realize that, and it does make sense. Kind of wish this sort of thing was filed under "Fighter" or something, but I guess there currently aren't enough variant builds to do that.
  • sirnamedsirnamed Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 102 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Calling a build of fighter a barbarian would be far more confusing. Barbarians wear medium armour, have inherent damage reduction, movement speed and reflex perks as well as the rage system, pivotal to their DPS output. To brand a two handed fighter as simply a barbarian would be an unfortunate loss to the flavour of the game, should they have chosen to eventually add a proper Barbarian.

What is annoying me, and what I sincerely hope they change once the classes are expanded, is that they have chosen to refer to two builds of fighter as being two separate classes. It's a strange choice that only contributes to the plethora of complaints about the apparent lack of class customisation. A source of complaints with such simple solution.... Make them one class.
    edited February 2013
    sirnamed wrote: »
    What is annoying me, and what I sincerely hope they change once the classes are expanded, is that they have chosen to refer to two builds of fighter as being two separate classes. It's a strange choice that only contributes to the plethora of complaints about the apparent lack of class customisation.

I'm not saying to call a fighter build barbarian at all; I'm saying why isn't the GWF a Barbarian instead? I'm presuming the decision was made earlier in the design process, but I'm wondering why that decision was made. Since the classes are based on builds, it makes more sense, but I still think it would feel more diverse if they'd started off with Barbarian or Ranger (preferably a Bow Ranger so all flavors of combat would be covered for the launch).
  • bringthenoise001bringthenoise001 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well, hopefully both Barbarian and Bow Ranger will come soon after launch
  • bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    From what we've seen so far it looks like each of the two builds that have been published in the PHB's will be released in game. So far we've seen Trickster Rogue, Control Wizard, Both Fighter builds, and Devoted Cleric. We've also heard that Archery Ranger, and Scourge Warlock should be the next two classes. Though who knows if that'll be at launch.

Which means we should see the Battle Cleric, Avenging Paladin, Protecting Paladin, Two-Blade Ranger, Brawny Rogue, Deceptive Warlock, Inspiring Warlord, Tactical Warlord, and War Wizard at some point. That's not including the PHB 2, and 3 classes.
  • kimonagikimonagi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

- Tempest Fighter
    - Battlerager Fighter

- Brawny Rogue

- Battle Cleric

- Rageblood Barbarian
    - Thaneborn Barbarian

We will know more when we can play the GWF.

in4th All Fighters use plate, GWF use Scail mail i think in NW. They look like a more mobile melee warrior that would fit a Barbarian archetype well.

They dont have to do both builds of every class they will release. I would rather have Builds from different original base class. They already look like a Beserker type of Warrior and i think Barbarian clans are part of the lore of the area and story so it would make sense Making it a Barb.

Besides, GFW and Barbs would look and play almost the same so if one makes it in, i doubt they would make the other. And it eliminates the possibily of having a Barbarian moving forward.
  • congestivecongestive Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    virkules1 wrote: »
    Would be awesome to see a Battle Cleric in game it just does not feel right to not have a cleric with a sheild and mace.

Agreed!
    Battle Clerics have been my favorite class ever since Baldur's Gate I
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    4e never really worked on pnp gaming (I know a lot of gamers and 90% are still using 3.5) largely because it tried to turn pnp gamers into "template" characters and well basically roleplayers are smarter than that.
    they say
    Hey why can't my fighter put down his sword and shield and hit someone with a two handed hammer?
    or why can't me Wizard throw a chair?
    Live long and Prosper
  • bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Well most people have either moved onto 3.75 which is Pathfinder, or 4th.
  • thelickingtoadthelickingtoad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 51
    edited February 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    4e never really worked on pnp gaming (I know a lot of gamers and 90% are still using 3.5) largely because it tried to turn pnp gamers into "template" characters and well basically roleplayers are smarter than that.
    they say
    Hey why can't my fighter put down his sword and shield and hit someone with a two handed hammer?
    or why can't me Wizard throw a chair?
    They can. Any DM who says otherwise is a poor DM who needs to actually read through the DMG. That's for the Wizard, anyway. The Fighter thing is your own fault. Any Fighter can use any simple or military weapon. Superior weapons require special training via feats. A Fighter who starts out sword-and-board can easily switch to a two-hander later on if he wants to do so. He might want to retrain a few powers at that point, but most Fighter powers work for any weapon--even a bare fist.

4E works incredibly well for roleplaying. I DM it almost every week. It's not perfect, though. But then, I've yet to play a perfect RPG system.

When it comes to the game here, it makes more sense to have specific classes for balance.
  • sandraudiga69sandraudiga69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    To be honest, I would have preferred simply fighter and allowing you to create your own build like the pnp. In terms of names Great Weapon Fighter and Guardian Fighter are a bit lame in the naming department.

No, I take that back, extremely lame in the naming department. Why not simply call them Fighter and Guardian?
  • voidwatcherxvoidwatcherx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    To be honest, I would have preferred simply fighter and allowing you to create your own build like the pnp. In terms of names Great Weapon Fighter and Guardian Fighter are a bit lame in the naming department.

No, I take that back, extremely lame in the naming department. Why not simply call them Fighter and Guardian?

1. Barbarian is not a Fighter.
    2. The naming is not "lame" it is taken directly from the Player's Handbook (4th) edition as suggested build options in the fighter section. The Fighter class is the core while the suggested builds in the core rulebook named them GWF and GF due to the choice in powers and skills.
    dakasig.png

• kimonagikimonagi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    bah GF gets a block ressource and GWF gets Fury... Cant see barbs making it in at any point, what would be the difference between Rage and Fury?
  • elminbanelminban Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would have liked to seen Warlord versus GW Fighter. Leader versus a defender but it would have added more to the game. I agree Fighter could have had a way to be GW or Guardian if there is a need for both so badly. Would like to see all 8 of the 4th ED classes out before we see variants like a control Wizard versus a striker and GW fighter.
    2.jpg
    edited February 2013
    1. Barbarian is not a Fighter.
    2. The naming is not "lame" it is taken directly from the Player's Handbook (4th) edition as suggested build options in the fighter section. The Fighter class is the core while the suggested builds in the core rulebook named them GWF and GF due to the choice in powers and skills.

1. In my post I never mentioned Barbarian, perhaps you meant that for someone else? I fully agree naming a fighter barbarian would be a mistake as they are quite different.

2. The naming of builds in 4e rulebooks was fairly lame as well, but it more acceptable due to it being a general description of the build rather than the class itself. I dread the release of the Brawny Rogue and Archer Ranger.
    edited February 2013
    Far as I can tell Unstoppable isn't Rage but a tanking ability. Basically as they fight more their defense gets better.
    edited February 2013
    PWE EU called it Fury. Talking about the meter and the ressource you generate, not the name of the TAB ability.
  • voidwatcherxvoidwatcherx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    1. In my post I never mentioned Barbarian, perhaps you meant that for someone else? I fully agree naming a fighter barbarian would be a mistake as they are quite different.

2. The naming of builds in 4e rulebooks was fairly lame as well, but it more acceptable due to it being a general description of the build rather than the class itself. I dread the release of the Brawny Rogue and Archer Ranger.

Yes, it was intended for the OP. I structured my post poorly. My apologies. Strangely enough though, I disagree with the names being "lame". But it's already in there and I doubt they have plans on changing it.
    dakasig.png

edited February 2013
    Yes, it was intended for the OP. I structured my post poorly. My apologies. Strangely enough though, I disagree with the names being "lame". But it's already in there and I doubt they have plans on changing it.

Agreed, it's already there and despite my wishing to build my own fighter from the ground up I will happily be playing both to 60 :)
  • stoermcstoermc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 162 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I also believe that it is something to help people out, that are new to DnD in general. Imagine your first session of character creation in DnD: It was most likely completely overwhelming and you had at least one person helping you out. In most cases, you probably ended up telling your friends what kind of class you want to play (tanky, spikey melee, wizardish, etc.) and they gave you the pointers.

It is most likely that in Neverwinter. Not everyone played the Pen & Paper or the corresponding games from the Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter series, so having set class builds from the PHB helps getting new players interested in the game and the franchise as well, but at the same time shields them from making bad choices at character creation in which you would potentially end up with an completely unplayable character.

So I am pretty much fine with the class builds as they are instead of a free system.
    Neverwinter Community Moderator

Code of Conduct - Extended FAQ - PM me
  • sundraconsundracon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    kimonagi wrote: »
    PWE EU called it Fury. Talking about the meter and the ressource you generate, not the name of the TAB ability.
    They may have called it fury, but the game calls it determination. The tab ability itself is Unstoppable.
    [SIGPIC]Gayme 0n[/SIGPIC]
    Rhun, Halfing Fighter of the Greater Weapons