test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Random Rolls??

bcomptonbcompton Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2013 in PvE Discussion
During Character creation when it is time to "roll" your stats (*wink wink) I find that all that is really happening is that you just get to pick between a couple different roll sets and nothing is really a "roll" at all. I suppose this is to prevent one from just "re-rolling" until you get the perfect stats however I would have liked something with a more "luck of the die" feel to it. Perhaps something like a truely random roll for all stats with a cap on the total off all stat points to include racial bonus (perhaps 80-85 points total).

very happy though with I see so far as far as game play goes
Post edited by bcompton on

Comments

• dark0vdark0v Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 46
    edited February 2013
    Quite frankly, it is rubbish how they've handled it.

If they aren't going to give us real random rolls then they should just let us assign a fixed number of points as we see fit.
  • virindivirindi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yeah. the more I think about it, the more I see that we will get an option to pay to get fully customized characters.
  • malaviniousmalavinious Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I noticed the same thing - on certain race/class combos it came down to only 2 different options no matter how many times you click to "roll" the die.
  • godofthornsgodofthorns Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    dark0v wrote: »

If they aren't going to give us real random rolls then they should just let us assign a fixed number of points as we see fit.

I wholeheartedly agree. We should be allowed to assign our stats instead of "rolling" only two choices. Or, have the game just assign us our initial stats automatically.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thorn
  • sparhawksparhawk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    dark0v wrote: »

Indeed, I agree.
  • hadmatterhadmatter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Calling it a "roll" is just insulting our intelligence. It's completely transparent and needs to be re-thought. I can't see why a point-buy system wouldn't work.
  • torg69torg69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I agree..doesnt seem like rolling at all...its pick option A or B for most characters..maybe C tossed in for some.

Also, does anyone know why my Hero of the North isnt on my forum title?
    Ranger down!!
  • sshatesshate Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 33
    edited February 2013
    Yeah. A lot of silly things in this game. Fake rolling is one of them. (the dumbing down of utility power to mean dodge/block, and the whole "you got a new power! but it's really just the power you already got.")

The designers may think they're giving us "flavor", but it really feel like an insult than anything else. It's like grabbing milk that turned sour and selling it as "soured milk."
  • phytobardphytobard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I guess if they VIP (like DDO) then rather than points I would like to see a random roll (it's part of the joy of tabletop when you roll and can re-roll but you may do worse or better).
  • wraithstormwraithstorm Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I strongly think the re-roll should be removed completely, done away with and use the point system like DDO. Gives you the full control of creating your character and not being forced to accept the "two options"which is currently given to us now.
  • keneringkenering Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sign me in, manual customizing would be much better than this 'roll'.
  • quetumquetum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This feature is still under development. More roll options will be added. I've seen this question asked and answered before.
  • kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited February 2013
    I expect its still a working progress and they just given us a few premade stat rolls for beta weekend.
  • kimbyrkimbyr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I also think they should remove the re-roll system; just give us points to assign to the abilities we want.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Dark Wizard Campaign
    Search for @kimbyr
  • foxtsilverukfoxtsilveruk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 77
    edited February 2013
    I would like to see a couple more skills added to the action bar, 3 skills and 2 daily things is going to get very boring very quickly, I imagine it will be more so for wizards and clerics which could have buffs, AOE and DOT spells. and can only pick a couple to use...
  • draxonflydraxonfly Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Rather see the point system for D&D video games then die rolls... Even on table-top games when people use a 'die role app' it irks me (what's wrong with real dice?)...

I think a point system would be better and make you feel more 'involved' with your character..
    draxonflynw1.jpg
  • wraithynwraithyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 53
    edited February 2013
    I agree as well. The assigning of ability points tends to work best and adds to the customiztion of twink builds. Although these are more cookie cutter pre-mades than anything.

Thats my only real complaint about the game so far. I don't like the pre-made feel to the character creation. Hell, I can't even have a Battle Axe as a dwarf character. It just doesn't feel right... :cool:
  • samanthyasamanthya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 98
    edited February 2013
    I do hope for more options in this or just a fixed stat for everyone, two choices won't be enough
  • snorri30snorri30 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Re-Roll or re-spend our stats points totally free in building would be great.
    i vote for that.
  • svijany12svijany12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited February 2013
    Truly random rolls would only force people who want to minmax and munchkin their characters (everyone) to keep rolling untill the get the MAX BEST 20/20/20... although it could take hours. -> that is terrible

I actually do think that this option they opted for works great and is much more interesting than straight numbers for each race/class.
    'Onoronodonovon takes you!'
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It appears to be stat arrays.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gr1mmangr1mman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Wholeheartedly agree with everyone else. Give us true random rolls. The two-option system in place is a bit insulting.
  • squibshotsquibshot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 34
    edited February 2013
    Many things are extremely limited right now - available items to name one - and will most surely be added to. It is Beta, after all.

That said, like truthseeker mentioned, hopefully they will add the remaining stat arrays that one would see if you look in the 4th edition handbooks. There are too many to mention here.

edit: making a point buy system would yield the same result as available stat arrays.
  • rollhacksrollhacks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    torg69 wrote: »
    I agree..doesnt seem like rolling at all...its pick option A or B for most characters..maybe C tossed in for some.

Also, does anyone know why my Hero of the North isnt on my forum title?

I see it now, but I didn't get mine either yet
    Those who worship the light have never seen what shadow can do.
  • cmgreenwald1cmgreenwald1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I just wanted to add I agree with everyone else and it should be a point buy system like ddo.

I don't know how to show my blue title either, is there something you have to do to set it up?
  • hadmatterhadmatter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's in the User CP. Go to Permission Groups.
  • silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think they just need to add more arrays into the rotation and give us the ability to assign the scores in the array as we please.
  • hankdashankhankdashank Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    People are "insulted" over the difference of a point or two in the starting stats, that is hilarious.
    I thought it was just a funny nod towards the way we used to create characters on paper.
    There are better topics to waste your outrage on. lol.
  • morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'd say keep the variable stat arrays which are common for most builds and just change it from dice to a toggle instead.
  • iamzelpexiamzelpex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I hope they will make it random as in really random not the same if you re-role 2 times