test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How big will the Neverwinter get??

alex1g007alex1g007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I was wondering if eventually they will create a Waterdeep, Icewind Dale, and the Dalelands areas for this game. I would love to visit Phlan once more.
Post edited by alex1g007 on

Comments

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    The developers have said that they had been talking about Waterdeep and would like to add it. But that is all the teaser they gave.

Here is a current (note I said "current") map of Neverwinter and surrounding areas:
    (Note, this is an overview map of the Zone Transfer and not a Zone map!)
    sword_coast_mpxfer01.jpg
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    alex1g007 wrote: »
    I was wondering if eventually they will create a Waterdeep, Icewind Dale, and the Dalelands areas for this game. I would love to visit Phlan once more.

While at launch the devs have said that it will only have Neverwinter and surrounding areas, but subsequently there are some desires to include more locations like Waterdeep in updates.

Ofcourse with foundry, you can include any place you want.
  • Options
    sliversparksliverspark Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think they are going to under-estimate the community and their ability to create whatever they want; and hopefully from this they will expand the game into being a full-on Forgotten Realms MMO. That's what I would like to see; open world, because the most fantastic medieval worlds I can think of off-hand are Lord of the Rings and Forgotten Realms.
  • Options
    swandashierswandashier Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    Just guess, but I would think all would depend on a) just how popular the game becomes. If they can attract and hold onto a large enough audience it will encourage them to expand beyond their current goals. b) How much money are you willing to invest. Since they will be faced with expansions, there is a likelihood that they will be forced to consider giving things up for free or charging a fee.
  • Options
    zerilliumzerillium Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    lol well this looks like an epic fail version of the game 13yrs ago.. only difference is now instead of min requirement of 256mb of ram it's 2gigs .. graphics still look pretty much the same, game went under then, it'll probably go under now, but as far as how "big" the game will get, this is PWE we're talking about so they'll release 1/8th of the game now (for no reason) btw there were like 7 classes back then, funny to only see 3 now...
    the game was huge back then area wise... but the game crash n burned back then b/c of hacking problems... ppl kept editing the .dat files which i'm sure pwe has fixed that issue..

jus found my old neverwinter night game from 13yrs ago ... lol.. wonder if single player mode still works
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    zerillium wrote: »
    lol well this looks like an epic fail version of the game 13yrs ago.. only difference is now instead of min requirement of 256mb of ram it's 2gigs .. graphics still look pretty much the same, game went under then, it'll probably go under now, but as far as how "big" the game will get, this is PWE we're talking about so they'll release 1/8th of the game now (for no reason) btw there were like 7 classes back then, funny to only see 3 now...
    the game was huge back then area wise... but the game crash n burned back then b/c of hacking problems... ppl kept editing the .dat files which i'm sure pwe has fixed that issue..

jus found my old neverwinter night game from 13yrs ago ... lol.. wonder if single player mode still works

I don't understand your post at all.
    "version of game 13 yrs ago"? What do you mean? It is a fresh new game just released - inception was about 4 years ago probably if you listen to its first podcast interview.
    "game went under then"? They have not yet released it.
    "Only 3 classes"? There are already 5 confirmed classes (actually just 4 as 2 are similar).
    Your post seems to be very misinformed due to inconsistencies and contradictions.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    brand new game? lol
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights

game's been out for ... well according wiki 11years but i was 17 when it came out, 13yrs ago...
    tho the mod will probably delete my wiki link, it's cool jus google neverwinter nights wiki and u'll find it... really old game
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    brand new game? lol

game's been out for ... well according wiki 11years but i was 17 when it came out, 13yrs ago...
    tho the mod will probably delete my wiki link, it's cool jus google neverwinter nights wiki and u'll find it... really old game

I think you missed perception check when you failed to notice the 'Nights' word behind it. And seriously, "game went under then," - you are seriously saying NWN 'went under'?

I hope I own a few companies which go under like that, I would be filthy rich!!$$!!

Not that NWN has anything to do with D&D:Neverwinter - apples are not oranges.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    so they removed the word "nights" from the end of it and suddenly it's a whole new game? lol

i should create a game called super mario... leave the brothers off... i'll be rich
  • Options
    arkonagadearkonagade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    brand new game? lol

looking for this ?
    sKGY7Ny.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    like how the mod posted a "teaser" to neverwinter showing neverwinter woods, and this guy shows the map from the 2002 game, probably same exact map lol hey look it has neverwinter woods right there...

yep... definately a different game...
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    don't feed the troll
  • Options
    bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    don't feed the troll

better to beat them with a hammer.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    u rolled a 1, critical failed and smashed ur foot instead. u take 3 damage.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    so they removed the word "nights" from the end of it and suddenly it's a whole new game? lol

i should create a game called super mario... leave the brothers off... i'll be rich

I think you are unaware of the fact of what Neverwinter, or rather what D&D is. Neverwinter is a city in one of the verse in multiverse of fictional world collectively called Dungeons and Dragons. This world was created long ago and constantly added. Hence it has a very long fictional heritage.

Forgotten Realms is a plane in this multi-verse. In the world of Forgotten Realms, there are many cities, and Neverwinter is one of those cities. There have been many games near this city, based on this city or those around it. Neverwinter Online, was one of the old games. Later another series on the city was launched called NWN series. It is a single player game(can be played with friends) but not an MMORPG. Many other games like NWN series were released and had astounding financial success like NWN did. BG series, PS:Torment series etc to name a few. The success of NWN1 also spawned a sequel to it. People still play NWN1 - the success and longevity of the game has astonished game developers. Thee games like BG, NWN renewed the interest of other game developers in Fantasy - when they realized that people do like Fantasy games.

Now this new game, which has not been released, has been allowed to use the name of this Forgotten Realm city which is owned by WotC - the PnP publisher and owner of the IP of the D&D world.

NWN was a great successful game with a large playerbase who still love that game, but that game was oranges, this game is apple. This game is not that game. That game when released would have a name like NWN3 or something.

The fact that you think that NWN "went under" already shows you need more homework before you start criticising something - for at least you need to get your facts right.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    lol u obviously never played it. the reason i say "it went under" b/c they got rid of all online capabilities "multiplayer" 6 months after it's release. it wasn't just "can be played with friends" your taking wiki to heart, it had a multiplayer function where u could search and join Any multiplayer game in play that wasn't full.
    the game went under because people would join ur game, (after they edited the .dat files to make them gods) and kill you, repeatedly til you quit out of the game.

yes i've "done my homework" because i actually own the D&D books. but the fact still remains all they did was buy rights to this game, tweak it a little, and re-release it, to say it's a completely new game never been thought up/ or made before is obsurd.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    i guess for the sake of this conversation i'll say this is like super mario upgrading to mario 64... both games were great.
  • Options
    viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I played NWN 1 for close to 5 years on a persistent world or PW, you probably joined a PW that was PvP based and poorly made at that to enable griefing right outta the gate. NWN 1 infact didn't stop their support of the PW's until about a year ago when the main server was hacked and bioware/ gamespy brought it down to repair and just never repaired it. NWN was hugely successful, but this game D&D: Neverwinter Online is NOT a rehashed version of NWN, nor is it connected to the publisher of NWN which was Bioware. This game is a stand alone product that has been given licence from Wizards of the Coast to use their Intellectual Property ie: the name Neverwinter and/ or D&D along with historic and famous names from those IP's.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    lol u obviously never played it. the reason i say "it went under" b/c they got rid of all online capabilities "multiplayer" 6 months after it's release. it wasn't just "can be played with friends" your taking wiki to heart, it had a multiplayer function where u could search and join Any multiplayer game in play that wasn't full.
    the game went under because people would join ur game, (after they edited the .dat files to make them gods) and kill you, repeatedly til you quit out of the game.

yes i've "done my homework" because i actually own the D&D books. but the fact still remains all they did was buy rights to this game, tweak it a little, and re-release it, to say it's a completely new game never been thought up/ or made before is obsurd.
    The thousands of people playing NWN1/2 online right now disagree.
  • Options
    gilbeggerbgilbeggerb Member Posts: 40
    edited February 2013
    I think this has become a troll thread.

Only question left is how long it'll take to be moved to "The Lower Depths"!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Credit for image to Shiaika. I just stole it!
  • Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    All trolling aside (btw you kill a troll with fire. not hammers) I hope they do expand the game world to include Luskan, Port Llast and Waterdeep (which means The Undermountain **** yeah!) and eventually maybe even as far out as Silverymoon.

Hell why not go for broke and throw in Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate down the line. It would make this FR enthusiast very happy!

There just needs to be a Forgotten Realms MMO and include all of Faerun.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Sigh. I played Baldurs Gate games which were at their time their best games.
    I played Nevewinter Nights 1 when it was released 2002. I still played Neverwinter Nights 1 the year 2005 on online persistent player driven servers! What difficulties might have occured temporary 6 months after release mean little when people enjoyed it years after! I played Neverwinter Nights 2 when it was released 2006 etc.

Well I don't say Neverwinter Nights 1 was perfect. I played it partly also since my ancient computer could not run newer games. After experiencing the ruthles and unfriendly hardcore roleplayer player driven servers I am very happy Cryptic is the server holders this time.

Nobody is arguing Neverwinter Nights was great.

However this is a MMO! WOW was great but after playing it 3.5 years I eventually got bored since I have seen everything in WOW.
    Neverwinter MMO:
    + You can create 1-5 player PvE adventures.
    + In future sooner or later after release you can create PvP Battlegrounds. Tell me in how many MMO:s you can create PvP Battlegrounds? I have heard of none.
    + It is the new 4th editon rules and Wizards of The Coast is a partner. On top of that one of their most succesful and famous authors R.A Salvatore supports this game!
    + It is Action combat. Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 and WOW were great games to me, but they did not have Action Combat in same way as Neverwinter has.
    + It is a free game! Yeah Beta Access costs money, but that is acceptable.

I am a Neverwinter Nights veteran and I can assure while there are similarities it is clearly different games. Time to move on and this game is what I want to play!

On to topic: I wish Baldurs Gate and Waterdeep cities would be added in detail. I also wish that more outside terrain will be added i.e wilderness.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I was going to explain the original PnP game origin which was converted to the AOL portal game which Bioware was influenced from in their version with two games which this was INSPIRED from but is NOT a persistent server game or co op but an MMO...

But I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Good day to you all. I'm outta here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    elewyndyl wrote: »
    It is a free game! Yeah Beta Access costs money, but that is acceptable.

It doesn't, actually. Money gets you EARLIER access to beta, but money is not necessary for beta access.
  • Options
    alsarothalsaroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would be happy if they included Warlocks Crypt near the Mere of dead men (I think).

But I guess it
    "A rare display of intelligence, undoubtedly fleeting." - Edwin Odesseiron
  • Options
    aeriocaerioc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Your judging a game right now that has not even left closed beta. Food for thought.
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    It will get exactly THIS big: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo0i9iisAPo

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.