test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lets make a deal PWE & Cryptic

joseph7777joseph7777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I played the beta, very fun game indeed. Now let's make a deal, announce/talk/release info about Raids so I can tell my Community/Guild to buy your founder packs.

No multiple Raids tier day one, no deal. This is the only thing holding me from paying the $200. Seriously I'm a PvP nutcase but I know for a fact without Raids the game will run it course for me & my guild rather fast.
Post edited by joseph7777 on

Comments

• ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited February 2013
    From the Q&A at f2p.com :

Q. Anything for larger groups, instead? I know raids aren’t on the table right now, but maybe post launch? Or something like big dynamic events in GW2/Rift?
    A. We haven’t announced anything yet/ We do have a pretty awesome large group end-game content that we haven’t talked about.

I'd like to hear more about this as well, I'm also into PvP, end game content, and large scale stuff like raids.
  • joseph7777joseph7777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    From the Q&A at f2p.com :

Q. Anything for larger groups, instead? I know raids aren’t on the table right now, but maybe post launch? Or something like big dynamic events in GW2/Rift?
    A. We haven’t announced anything yet/ We do have a pretty awesome large group end-game content that we haven’t talked about.

I'd like to hear more about this as well, I'm also into PvP, end game content, and large scale stuff like raids.

Yes I read that, ty for posting it. However, far from enough. I need it to be confirmed with details. After GW2 I know exactly how important raids are for Guilds. I have been asking them to add raids since it came out with no luck. Result: Almost my entire guild left the game :( even though most of us are hardcore PvPers.
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    You're going to have to beta test yourself and see, or just wait until the game comes out. Nobody working for Cryptic is going to disclose details. Kinda goes against the name. Also goes against their track record.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
    edited February 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    You're going to have to beta test yourself and see, or just wait until the game comes out. Nobody working for Cryptic is going to disclose details. Kinda goes against the name. Also goes against their track record.

I'm on the beta, I just couldn't see anything to do with Raids so far :(
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited February 2013
    Take solace in the fact that this is the very first wave of closed beta testing: hopefully there will be some of the content many of us are looking for before Open Beta takes place, tho perhaps not til Live Launch.
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Hopefully they never add anything larger then 5 man dungeons. From my recolection I never remembered sittign aroudn the kitchen table playing D&D with 39 of my closest friends.

Please Cryptic stay true to the lore, let 5 man dungeo ndelving be your bread and butter. The moment that raids and all the hassles with communication and organization that comes with it is the day I look for another game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • torniotornio Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited February 2013
    Zylaxx - They could put in 10 man Raids.

Keep them the same as 5 man Raids, just buff the encounters and offer better loot.

Raids will keep their playerbase. Otherwise there would be no progression and content.
    19bat_zps7fc6fad1.png
    // What we do Alive // ToRN \\ Echoes in Eternity \\
    The 19th Battalion
    "Captain's Company"
    [CURRENTLY RECRUITING]
    CAPT.png
    edited February 2013
    * 8-10 is a good number and easy to mange, 5 man raids even if harder than dungeons won't keep me or my guild going. I'm sure it is the same case for many.
  • horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Even if they had everything I wanted, I'm not sure why I would have to buy the $200 option. I'd just buy what I need, when I need. After this weekend, there will be several avenues to get into the next beta's.
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    Hopefully they never add anything larger then 5 man dungeons. From my recolection I never remembered sittign aroudn the kitchen table playing D&D with 39 of my closest friends.

Please Cryptic stay true to the lore, let 5 man dungeo ndelving be your bread and butter. The moment that raids and all the hassles with communication and organization that comes with it is the day I look for another game.

While I agree that 40 people raids are overboard, I have sat in a room with 9 friends and had sessions as well as 4-5 friends running multiple characters each. Sometimes as a DM I would not allow 5 people to double up for an adventure and ask them to choose just 1 character a piece as the adventure I had planned was suited for this size party.

10 is a good number for raid type scenarios in a dungeon for end game. Facing a dragon with 5 people seems too few IMO and dragon are not something I believe should be presented to anyone aside from higher level tiers. They're freaking dragons!

That said, I am a very firm believer of the 5 man dungeon being the majority of the content for all level ranges. My personal group of friends from other MMOs is relatively small, although I am and have been in very large guilds throughout my WoW career, the true friends I socialize with on a personal level is 4-5 people and those are the people I want to spend most of my adventuring time with in this game.

But I also would love to see encounters that can involve anyone in the persistent zones to participate in, much like GW2. I know GW2's difficulty scales with the number of people in the encounter but I do not know if NWO has such a system in place. This is the only time I feel that a large number of people (20+) should be able to actively contribute to.

Ok this is bigger than I expected it to be when I hit reply. :o
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • daxiongmao87daxiongmao87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited February 2013
    Perhaps world events would be more appropriate to foster raids instead of static dungeons? Such as a Dracolich attacking Neverwinter or wreaking havoc in Neverwinter Wood, or something just as epic?
  • elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    chili1179 wrote: »
    While I agree that 40 people raids are overboard, I have sat in a room with 9 friends and had sessions as well as 4-5 friends running multiple characters each. Sometimes as a DM I would not allow 5 people to double up for an adventure and ask them to choose just 1 character a piece as the adventure I had planned was suited for this size party.

10 is a good number for raid type scenarios in a dungeon for end game. Facing a dragon with 5 people seems too few IMO and dragon are not something I believe should be presented to anyone aside from higher level tiers. They're freaking dragons!

That said, I am a very firm believer of the 5 man dungeon being the majority of the content for all level ranges. My personal group of friends from other MMOs is relatively small, although I am and have been in very large guilds throughout my WoW career, the true friends I socialize with on a personal level is 4-5 people and those are the people I want to spend most of my adventuring time with in this game.
    Well I know 100% sure there will be Heroic PvE Dungeons. Means when you hit ENDGAME which thank god this game will have i.e when you are max level you can do Dungeons in Heroic mode. I am not sure if it means all Dungeons can be done in Heroic mode. Likely it is only some specific Cryptic made Dungeons.

That is however not all of endgame! I would suspect and/or PvE Raids or Big PvP Battleground content. PvP will NOT be limited to some 5 vs 5 Structured PvP like Guild Wars 2 and also likely not same same silly equal power gear.

However Neverwinter will not have so big PvP content as Mist PvP in Guild Wars 2 with 2000 players. However that is a good thing since that would increase system requirements to much for my liking. While NOTHING has been showed from PvP I would suspect that largest Battlegrounds are maybe like the big Battleground in WOW Alterac Valley 40 vs 40.

However for PvE part yeah I agree 10 people is best Raid size. I am NOT sure this game will have raids it is still unknown. Please also note I am not sure how big PvP Battlegrounds but I know they have said big PvP Battlegrounds.

Heroic PvE Dungeons are 100% confirmed though from Beta event with press only. Please be patient. The only thing 100 % sure is that there will sooner or later be PvE Heroic Dungeons and at release for certain some form of PvP.
  • nec0enec0e Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i wouldn't mind raids...no no 40 man stuff...as was said 10 man...MAYBE 15 man but that's where i'd draw the line.

ideally i'd love epic events like rift's invasions
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They wont add a 40man raids. I havent even seen 40man raids since WoW back in like 2004-05 range and even WoW stopped that. If i had to guess it will be two combined parties worth so 10man.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sliversparksliverspark Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I will say this: With the player potential to create end-game dungeons that CAN be excessively difficult enough to rival WoW end-game raids - NOT having any type of raid for PvE would be a serious fail on the part of Cryptic. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me on that, because it WILL happen, it's just a numbers game. Eventually someone is going to start making the best content you've ever seen. I would even go as far as to say people will start forming teams of designers to craft in-game campaigns.
  • deads6667deads6667 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 112 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    joseph7777 wrote: »
    I played the beta, very fun game indeed. Now let's make a deal, announce/talk/release info about Raids so I can tell my Community/Guild to buy your founder packs.

No multiple Raids tier day one, no deal. This is the only thing holding me from paying the $200. Seriously I'm a PvP nutcase but I know for a fact without Raids the game will run it course for me & my guild rather fast.

Perfect World (Nasdaq: PWRD) is a publicly traded company, take a look at their annual revenue... i think they can do without your money for now. theyll release the details when theyre ready not when youre ready im sorry to say. Their company has been growing solidly for the last decade... they kinda know what theyre doing.
  • johnny305johnny305 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They said there are only 5 man dungeons for now and at release. I don't think they are planning to add big raids like in a normal MMORPG. They want party oriented stuff for smaller groups how D&D is played.

Later on they may add 10 man, but that would be max IMO.

Maybe the player made stuff can be for bigger raids though, so who knows.
    edited February 2013
    johnny305 wrote: »
    They said there are only 5 man dungeons for now and at release. I don't think they are planning to add big raids like in a normal MMORPG. They want party oriented stuff for smaller groups how D&D is played.

Later on they may add 10 man, but that would be max IMO.

Maybe the player made stuff can be for bigger raids though, so who knows.

That's very sad :(
  • deads6667deads6667 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 112 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    A lot of guessing in this thread. All anyone knows is that they have something awesome planned for more than 5 people to play for pve, and nobody has a clue what it is yet. theyll tell us when theyre ready and until then theyre comfortable with the risk that people go and try other games in the meanwhile lol. by the way im not a fanboy im a stockholder but ill be playing this game for sure.
  • kormaikormai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 91
    edited February 2013
    Well with the foundry ingame i dont know if they really NEED raids.
    The foundry (and especially if you have someone in the guild who makes missions) can keep people going on for an extremely long time
  • snorri30snorri30 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    kormai wrote: »
    The foundry (and especially if you have someone in the guild who makes missions) can keep people going on for an extremely long time

Agree with that, no need raids, this is NOT WoW. The foundry's gonna be awesome and gonna give longevity at the game, in my opinion.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    snorri30 wrote: »
    Agree with that, no need raids, this is NOT WoW. The foundry's gonna be awesome and gonna give longevity at the game, in my opinion.

Oh they absolutely need raids, or they're leaving money on the table. The key is to develop it in ways that don't monopolize developer resources for fringe content.

One way to do this is make things that expand. You make a 5-man thing that's accessible to casual players, you expand it to a Heroic version that's accessible to very skilled casual players, and expand that to a 10+ man thing that's, as Andy mentions in TotalBiscuit's walkthough, "not done until it's too hard for the developers", because the experienced raiding guilds are better at clearing a raid than the devs are.

That way most of your developer effort went into the stuff everybody can use, and a smaller portion went into making it something for the raiders. Everybody gets what they want, and development resources were allocated efficiently, meaning more total content for everyone.

It's not easy, but it's possible, and Cryptic's got a large enough team now.
  • kormaikormai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 91
    edited February 2013
    They said that ALL content will be free to play, shop will be for convenience items and customizable aspects.
    So i dont see how they could EARN with raids
  • aethandor8785aethandor8785 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 103 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I would like to see ten person raids myself. IMHO anything over ten becomes a pain.
    Tyrs Paladium
    A Cleric has 99 problems, but a Lich aint one!
  • trikirantrikiran Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    joseph7777 wrote: »
    Yes I read that, ty for posting it. However, far from enough. I need it to be confirmed with details. After GW2 I know exactly how important raids are for Guilds. I have been asking them to add raids since it came out with no luck. Result: Almost my entire guild left the game :( even though most of us are hardcore PvPers.

I know how you feel. The lack of Truley hardcore raiding has left many mmo's failing. A hardcore raid teir and progressive content gives players the day to day week to week month to month filler that is needed to hold large guilds together in a gaming clan. Failure to have this in the game is just inviting people to leave within a month. GW2 has now learned the hard way that were there is no challenge in pve there is not much to hold players in the game. If they were subscription they would have crashed SOOOO hard come october.

The community needs a challenege, If everyone that went to the olympics got gold medals and each event was dumbed down to the lowest person there to complete and finish it I very much doubt it would be worth watching or if ANY pro-sports would be worth watching.
  • mensarmensar Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    tornio wrote: »
    Zylaxx - They could put in 10 man Raids.

Keep them the same as 5 man Raids, just buff the encounters and offer better loot.

Raids will keep their playerbase. Otherwise there would be no progression and content.

I'm going to guess the people posting in this thread aren't familiar with Cryptic's work.

Allow me to tantalize you with the thought of 100-man raids. Now.. let me explain.

When cryptic does a big event, they do it instance-wide. So if you're in the city, for instance, and a 10 story robot attacks. Or a very large caravan of Klingon Warbirds.. they do it so that everyone can help out. And typically it TAKES everyone helping out. They don't really play with the whole WOW kiddie version of raids where you pick 10 people and go have an instance with a miniboss.

Granted, nobody knows what's in store for this game. But based on their past, I'd say we're in for a lot bigger than 40-man events.

This message brought to you by the superhero:
    Bacon Overlord

All available action figures, check.
    Hit the global cap, check.
    All lore and event perks done, check.
    All 1K mob perks done, check.
    All nemesis mob perks done, check.
    Break 20,000 perk points, check.
    Complete all 5K perk points, stay tuned!

Come see me on steam (be friends, drink fine wines, clink glasses and KILL STUFF ONLINE!)
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    kormai wrote: »

I really hope that the Foundry gives authors the freedom to create PvP and high end Raid-style end game content. Because in my experience Cryptic Studios has never been good at either of those things, or even providing challenging content in general. And they've never been terribly attentive to competitive players general. All the focus is to make almost the entire content as accessible to casual, solo players as possible. Just ask any CO PvPer... if you can find one.

I'm hoping we can have something resembling open world PvP, or location capture senarios like GW2 WvW with the Foundry, since that is the type of PvP I normally like to participate on.
    You know I don't mind if they add Raids as long as it doesn't turn into raid or die, where if you want anything that looks or performs marginally well you have to do the gear grind and you are locked out of content and story that you can never see unless you are in a Raid group.
    mensar wrote: »
    I'm going to guess the people posting in this thread aren't familiar with Cryptic's work.

Allow me to tantalize you with the thought of 100-man raids. Now.. let me explain.

When cryptic does a big event, they do it instance-wide. So if you're in the city, for instance, and a 10 story robot attacks. Or a very large caravan of Klingon Warbirds.. they do it so that everyone can help out. And typically it TAKES everyone helping out. They don't really play with the whole WOW kiddie version of raids where you pick 10 people and go have an instance with a miniboss.

Granted, nobody knows what's in store for this game. But based on their past, I'd say we're in for a lot bigger than 40-man events.

This is what I'm hoping for, they could do things that are so much more epic than your ho-hum raid.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    trikiran wrote: »
    I know how you feel. The lack of Truley hardcore raiding has left many mmo's failing. A hardcore raid teir and progressive content gives players the day to day week to week month to month filler that is needed to hold large guilds together in a gaming clan. Failure to have this in the game is just inviting people to leave within a month. GW2 has now learned the hard way that were there is no challenge in pve there is not much to hold players in the game. If they were subscription they would have crashed SOOOO hard come october.

The community needs a challenege, If everyone that went to the olympics got gold medals and each event was dumbed down to the lowest person there to complete and finish it I very much doubt it would be worth watching or if ANY pro-sports would be worth watching.

I disagree I have been part of a guild that has most of the founding members for the past six years and we don't raid, I know of at least five other guilds like us, the biggest problem with gaming today are hyper-competitive people who wants everything to be a sport.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I disagree I have been part of a guild that has most of the founding members for the past six years and we don't raid, I know of at least five other guilds like us, the biggest problem with gaming today are hyper-competitive people who wants everything to be a sport.
    I disagree with you. My brother is very disppointed that I refuse to play casual carebear Guild Wars 2 that is ridiculous. In less then 2 weeks you can max a character in Guild Wars 2 in power!

We don't need yet another casual carebear game that will drive all the powergamers or hardcore players away.

Here some of my philosophy copy/pasted from Guild Wars 2 forums:
    SuLor wrote: »
    Originally Posted by SuLor View Post
    You've often flamed the "casual loot system" and I'm curious what exactly you have a problem with and why it bugs you.

What is so wrong with everyone getting a reward for completing a dungeon? Why shouldn't everyone who has progressed and improved and accomplished something get a reward? Is it really the fact that everyone gets rewarded who makes significant contributions that bothers you, or just the plateau?
    "What is so wrong with everyone getting a reward for completing a dungeon?"
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

"
    Is it really the fact that everyone gets rewarded who makes significant contributions that bothers you, or just the plateau
    "
    That everybody who makes a significant contribution gets rewarded is absolutely ok with me.

I dislike only the Power Plateau. I LOVE when I grow more powerful I mean more then simple stats ... more skills of I a spellcaster new spells or if a fighter new weapon combos. I do like also the stat increase.

Look I don't know if you play Pen an Paper rpg games? I am what people call a powergamer though roleplaying can be fun sometimes. About Elitism. Yes I am partly Elitist. Saying partly because I do not laugh at players with bad gear in WOW. It is sad some Elitists are sadists who like to hurt the feelings of other people, but thats not me. No when I say I am partly Elitist I mean I like to compete for "perfection". Maybe thats why I like sports in real life and like to watch sports from TV.

I have heard from Press event that this game will have Heroic Dungeons. They have also said that they have not showed everything of ENDGAME.

Now I don't know if WOW everlasting loot progression is paradise. However if you play hardcore 40 hours /week it should take many months to maximize a character.