test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

My Wishlist: The Warlord

pwrobert722pwrobert722 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
edited March 2013 in PvE Discussion
One of my favorite classes in DnD 4e. His attacks, let other people take attacks on his turn, and he provided some good single target heals through his "Inspiring Word" power. To me, the core of this character was his ability to let other people do their cool stuff more often. This made him, IMO the epitome of the "Leader Role"

How would this translate to Neverwinter? To me, it screams "Cooldown Manipulation" Encounter powers that speed up encouter cool downs for the entire party, dailies that immediately refresh encounter cool downs. At will powers that add to a player/partie'd daily refresh counter.

And of course, some lower level buffs, and minor healing. This would, IMO, capture the heart of the Warlord from 4e.
Post edited by pwrobert722 on

Comments

• Options
    rickmanrickman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I Would Love to play a Warlord too, looks to be the most interesting of the 4th Edition Martial Classes... (Then again I haven't got any of the other Books other then the Core 4th Edition, May look at getting the Forgotten Realms book).
    Diplomancy: Sometimes "I hit it with my Axe" is the only Answer.
    A Challenge is something interesting and awkward until you beat it... then it's called "Repetative"

Neverwinter on TVTropes(Needs some loving)
    Neverwinter Nights on TVTropes
  • Options
    goose1009goose1009 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This is easily #1 on my "most wished for" class in the game. They need a 2nd healer eventually, and the Warlord would very much fit that bill!!
    iCW4wKwOat1oO.png
  • Options
    rickmanrickman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    To Me is sounds and i think it should Feel like Either the Disiple of Khaine or the Warpriest of Sigmar from Warhammer Online, I could be wrong though.
    Diplomancy: Sometimes "I hit it with my Axe" is the only Answer.
    A Challenge is something interesting and awkward until you beat it... then it's called "Repetative"

Neverwinter on TVTropes(Needs some loving)
    Neverwinter Nights on TVTropes
  • Options
    doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Since the Devoted Cleric is a ranged healer, I'm hoping the Warlord is on tap as a Melee Healer class. I realize that in 4E he can heal at range exactly as the Cleric can, in Neverwinter every class needs to play differently than the rest, and this becomes an easy way to differentiate one healer from another.

I love the Warlord and played one in a 4E Dark Sun campaign for a year. Tons of fun. And the idea of "cool down reduction" as a class feature is a great one. If it doesn't break play balance, I'd love to see it.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Since the Devoted Cleric is a ranged healer, I'm hoping the Warlord is on tap as a Melee Healer class. I realize that in 4E he can heal at range exactly as the Cleric can, in Neverwinter every class needs to play differently than the rest, and this becomes an easy way to differentiate one healer from another.

I love the Warlord and played one in a 4E Dark Sun campaign for a year. Tons of fun. And the idea of "cool down reduction" as a class feature is a great one. If it doesn't break play balance, I'd love to see it.

Game balance would be a key. :) I just thought of something insane. High level power, AOE Daily refresh (daily of course) 2 warlords just alternating use, keeping everyone else's dailies up and being used....

Obviously game breaking.
  • Options
    sirvantraxsirvantrax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Wait and see, my understanding is there are many more classes being developed and we will test more as we head towards open beta.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Indeed. Some we know of, others we don't. It just becomes how fast will they be able to release the new ones post-release?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I would make them "Short range" vice Melee when it comes to healing. That being said, the Warlords place in the game is up there swinging a sword. So, I would have his healing be a "Tab" ability, that is either PBAOE or Cone AOE and charged by being in melee combat. To me, the warlord had healing ability, but that was never his main purpose in the game.
    :)
  • Options
    lordarkainelordarkaine Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I just wish we had another class instead of two fighters. Why the defender couldn't be a paladin is beyond me.
  • Options
    doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Paladin is very iconic class; I'd be shocked if one was not in development right now, as we speak. The trick with developing these classes seems to be their specific class mechanic. Each must be different, must still evoke the IP, and must be fun. They've probably already gone through three different versions of Paladin trying to find the right mix.

We'll get him... Soon (tm)
  • Options
    malagarrmalagarr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Personally, I'd like to see some free form classes made available. Treat it like the customizable character slots in CO and let us customize our fighters, clerics, whatever, as we see fit, the way D&D has always been meant to be played. I won't lie...I don't know much about 4th Edition. My experience with D&D does go back to the old paperback goon squad rule book, though, and I have played every edition of D&D and AD&D released over the past thirty-five years until 4E. But I am fairly certain that even 4E did not so severely restrict character creation. I get the fact that at launch it may be necessary to limit our ability to customize our characters, but I fear that if that element is completely removed a lot of veteran players will walk away from this game the instant the Pathfinder MMO launches next year.
  • Options
    goose1009goose1009 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My prediction for the next few classes to come out:

1. Ranger
    2. Warlock
    3. Paladin
    4. Druid
    5. Warlord
    iCW4wKwOat1oO.png
  • Options
    lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Assault Swordmage added to that list.

A controller-based highly mobile tank has been attempted a couple of times, but there's only been one successful implementation of it.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    goose1009 wrote: »
    My prediction for the next few classes to come out:

1. Ranger
    2. Warlock
    3. Paladin
    4. Druid
    5. Warlord

Maybe, but they might also do some other variations of the classes we have now similar to the Fighter's 2 different types.
  • Options
    keneringkenering Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'd prefer warpriest being melee healer, and warlord more utility one.
  • Options
    buz1buz1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    sirvantrax wrote: »
    Wait and see, my understanding is there are many more classes being developed and we will test more as we head towards open beta.

please say theres a Blackguard warrior/necro hybrid that will make my day
  • Options
    mistahseytanmistahseytan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I know this is Forgotten Realms not Eberron but I'd like to play an Artificer!
  • Options
    warzeriorwarzerior Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well I saw a ghost like companion... so I'm hoping they are working on the Shaman :)
  • Options
    luthyrrluthyrr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    warzerior wrote: »
    Well I saw a ghost like companion... so I'm hoping they are working on the Shaman :)

Shaman.... *starts to drool*
  • Options
    bringthenoise001bringthenoise001 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I just wish we had another class instead of two fighters. Why the defender couldn't be a paladin is beyond me.

Or the GWF being a Barbarian.

During my years playing D&D (and it has been many), the Barbarian has been my main class (when I first had rules in a edition of White Dwarf...starting to show my age).

I would so dearly love to see this class be availble realatively soon after release. Only then do I truly believe I can bring the pain!
  • Options
    ashah78ashah78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I wish for a ninja pengiun hahahahahaha
  • Options
    shaudiusshaudius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I know this is Forgotten Realms not Eberron but I'd like to play an Artificer!

Interestingly there's an article about how to fit an Artificers into Forgotten Realms in an issue of Dragon Magazine. Its called Gond's Way: Artificers of the Realm and appeared in Dragon #403.
    Neverwinter Foundry Fansite with IRC Chatroom - http://www.tavernugc.com. Chatroom also available through IRC on irc.geekshed.net, #tavernugc.
    Neverwinter Official Wiki - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/
  • Options
    robopwnrobopwn Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The Warlord class is one of my favorite additions to 4e Dungeons & Dragons and one I hope to see in Neverwinter. I've always preferred lower magic campaign settings and the idea of a "leader" type character who inspires rather than uses magic to buff people was missing from the game for a long time.
  • Options
    drizzitdude5drizzitdude5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I am still wondering where my paladin is.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited March 2013

While the heals are at range, he fights with melee weapons usually. There are also ranged builds, but the core rulebooks as him as a melee class.

It's definitely my favorite class in 4th Edition. It alone was worth all the edition wars. :)

I also believe if Order of the Stick was written after the creation of D&D4, Roy would not have been a Fighter, but a Warlord.
  • Options
    galthisgalthis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I am still wondering where my paladin is.

They have to be soon in a D&D inspired game right? Although they got a pretty extreme makeover in 4e if I recall. Now they can pillage and poison to their hearts content if they pick the right Diety. One of the 4e changes I did not like for RP reasons.
  • Options
    bismar7bismar7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Personally I always thought the Warlord was 4e's way of addressing 3e's useless bard class... but hey if you want to play an armored guy with a sword... who doesn't fight. By all means.
    26.jpg
  • Options
    darkstorn42darkstorn42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I am lending my support to this thread. I want the warlord as well. Dragonborn Warlord FTW!!!!

I love the warlord because it allows you to be a healer without any magic. You can manipulate the battlefield to allow your allys to gain total dominance in maneuverability, combat advantage, and healing through inspiration.
  • Options
    fursnakefursnake Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 84
    edited March 2013
    Bard, Paladin and Melee Cleric.
  • Options
    ancillaryancillary Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Major 'greeage. Gimme that Warlord!!