test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can't interact with anything in-game

ooznynkooooznynkoo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone else was having this issue. I downloaded and patched the game without problems, rolled a character and played through the tutorial section (got to level 4). Once I appeared in the next area I found I could not interact with the NPC to return the quest and then that I couldn't even logout (exit game works). All commands seem unresponsive, even though I can move around and I can see other players moving about.

So it seems I'm connected but can't do anything. Exiting the game and relogging did not change this. Any ideas?
Post edited by ooznynkoo on

Comments

• arontimesarontimes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I can confirm that I am also having this issue. I'm playing the halfling guardian fighter, Juan Tamad, and I can't interact with anything, and there is no chat visible. Also, if I try to follow my quest route, I get teleported back to my starting location like I'm lagging or something.
    Member of Grievance.

Taking a break from Neverwinter indefinitely...
  • ooznynkooooznynkoo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yeah I got that same thing - getting teleported back to the spot where I began. Also at one point the game said I'd been away from the keyboard for over ten minutes, even though I was trying to do stuff the whole time. At that point I exited the game and tried to relog, but it didn't help.
  • bloodcrownbalgarbloodcrownbalgar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am also having these issues, Remade 3 characters and always having issues with interacting with the npc's, chat and being rubber banded back to the entrance after the sewer quest, Quite frustrating.
  • cmpinpointerrorcmpinpointerror Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 646
    edited February 2013
    Can you move the cursor around or is it something else? Can you be more specific?
  • bloodcrownbalgarbloodcrownbalgar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    From what Iv'e found out I can move about and use skills but when it comes to interacting with npc's the "click F" is not there, also I have also noticed it will flag me for being AFK after being on for about 2-3 mins or so, I'm from the UK so maybe its just a lag issue?
  • ooznynkooooznynkoo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    At least for me, the game seems to respond as normal, but nothing actually happens. I can right click on another player and choose inspect, but the window that pops up doesn't have any actual info in it. I can click on the button to report a bug, and type in a term to search for in the reported issues, but the search doesn't seem to ever happen - nothing happens. So all I can do is run around and even then, I get teleported back to where I started maybe every minute or so.

I'm in Finland, if that makes a difference.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sounds like they are not updating the data in the zone they are in and it's as if they are in an instance shard not the persistent updated area. If other players are also stuck in this area, I think they could then see each other but not exchange info.

Completely hypothetical.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dimoniquedimonique Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Lagging...is anyone having issues. I interact fine, but when it comes to attacking and stuff, I start lagging and nothing...???
  • arontimesarontimes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Is there an ETA on a fix for this? I've only finished the first quest, taking me to level 4, and it sucks that I've already gone through the first day of this beta weekend not being able to play.
    Member of Grievance.

• typhoid242typhoid242 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Same issue here.. Cannot interact with environment and getting ported back to same spot and flagged as afk after 2-3 minutes. Been like this the last7 hours. Restarted game 10+ times. Stupid!
  • zuvielezuviele Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 42
    edited February 2013
    Same, I made another thread not realizing this is everyone's problem

Update: Working now
    The Harper series (NWS-DG3ALMAAC):
    • Part 1: The Rescue (NW-DHWDQZ9YD)
  • typhoid242typhoid242 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    After annother 10 restarts or so I managed to enter Blacklake distr. Quested for a whole hour without any issues. But when returning to Protectors Enclave same story as mentioned in above post... Frustrating but very beta.

Been at it for almost 8 hours now, restarted crazymany times, still not able to interact with any npc's etc. Cannot write ticket to get any help from gm's or community.
    I live in Sweden, starting to think Its an latency issue for europeans maybe?
    edited February 2013
    I got it to work for a bit when I let the game kick me out for being AFK - which it does as it doesn't seem to recognize any of the actions I attempt. Before I'd always exit the game myself, since that was the only command that worked.
    I got to play for maybe ten minutes, did a quest and started another one, but then it started all over again. Now I'm stuck in a sewer for the quest "Nest egg". I'll let the game kick me out again and see if that helps this time.

Update: After waiting for the game to log me out and relogging after that, the game worked fine for another 10-15 minutes. Completed the quest I was on and clicked the door to exit the quest area, only to get stuck again once I appeared outside. So I figure the bug has something to do with entering new areas, as well as maybe some sort of latency issue.
    edited February 2013
    Tried that, did not help me atleast. Goodluck
    edited February 2013
    Also been trying that ooznynkoo but I think you are right it must be a zoning issue mixed with latency problems, tried playing again today and the same issues are still there but I've noticed more people just standing about also rubber banding when they try moving to far away from where they spawned, guess we just have to wait until they get EU servers up and running.
  • ds3chromeds3chrome Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've been having the exact same problems which makes the game unplayable for me (UK) :(
  • zuvielezuviele Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 42
    edited February 2013
    I had mine working for about one quest, but like the others, all my characters are now stuck. I'm near San Francisco, so it's not just European people
    edited February 2013
    I also managed to play quite a bit in and around blacklake, but immediately upon return to Protector's Enclave the same thing started again. Could it be that the issue only affects this starting area? For me at least it's always happened when entering protector's enclave or one of the quest areas connected to it.

So far waiting for the game to log me out after 15 min of being "afk" has worked, but I guess it's not foolproof either.
  • akapultonakapulton Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Same Problem Cant intercat with NPC or use Chat, but i ca walk around and get position reset after 1-2 mInutes -.-
  • izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This sounds exactly like a latency/bandwidth issue. I saw this problem when I tried using my cell phone as a wifi-hotspot and play the game. When the cell connection is weak, the bandwidth goes down, and I had the exact same symptoms described in this thread.
  • ds3chromeds3chrome Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've tried making multiple toons now and always have the same problem after completing the noob tutorial. It takes roughly 5-10mins before the quest marker appears above Sergeant Knox's head but I can't interact with him, then soon after I get an afk message pop up in chat even tho I'm running around trying to do stuff :/
    edited February 2013
    I was stuck for hours in the protector's enclave, finally got out and managed to play for a couple of hours. Now the same issue came up in the Tower district, so it does not seem to be limited to the first area.

Everything worked fine until the client crashed and now that I logged back in I can't do anything... again.
    edited February 2013
    Kept trying this afternoon but still having the same issues, even remade another character but upon loading into the tutorial area I couldn't see my character nor could I interact with the chap on the horse, lets hope the next bwe is more promising. ^^
    edited February 2013
    Ive spent my whole Saturday in limbo logging in and out, making and deleteing characters. Ive gotten 2 hours gameplay tops. Cant remember a beta giving me this much headache since AoCbeta.
    edited February 2013
    At first I was going to refute the idea that it's a latency problem, but then I went to speedtest and discovered my upload speed is complete <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Maybe some the rest of you should try the same. I don't know if that is the cause, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2498011704.png
    edited February 2013
    I just encountered a new bug where it gets to around 80% to 90% loaded and just stops there. The game doesn't freeze, as I still get the cycling loading tips, but it just sits there without budging. I have to minimize the window and right click on it in the taskbar and click Close Window to get it to close so I can restart the game.

After a few more failed tries, I tried disabling Folding@Home, which has been known to cause problems with some video games. I paused Folding@Home and tried again, and this time, I was able to load the Protector's Enclave with my halfling guardian fighter, Juan Tamad.

I still don't have any chat, and I still get rubberbanded every few minutes to my starting location. After a few attempts to get to my quest location, I got rubberbanded again and this time, the quest objectives were displayed below my minimap. I guess that's progress? Anyway, I didn't want to get all frustrated and all, so I quit and came here to post this. It's for the best that these gamebreaking bugs are found before release, so at least I'll sleep knowing that the full game will not be as frustrating.

Anyway... I'm going to start Neverwinter Nights 2 and log on to the Baldur's Gate server. See ya!
    Member of Grievance.

• kadlenakadlena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298
    edited February 2013
    I had about 15 mintues of what you all are describing last night. Not interacting with anything. Was targetting a mob, and it was highlighted...but I was told it was an invalid target. I exited the game, and was checking email on my phone, noticed that my wi fi was cutting out.

Rebooted my modem and router and didn't see it happen again. (yet)
    edited February 2013
    arontimes wrote: »
    I just encountered a new bug where it gets to around 80% to 90% loaded and just stops there. The game doesn't freeze, as I still get the cycling loading tips, but it just sits there without budging. I have to minimize the window and right click on it in the taskbar and click Close Window to get it to close so I can restart the game.

It does that loading thing for me as well, though maybe not all the time, and it eventually gets to the end. It seems to be stuck on that 90% loaded spot for maybe 2-5 minutes or so, before it eventually loads into the game.

If the issue has to do with bandwidth then that sucks. I have 24mb/1mb internet (1 mb upload) which is not bad for my area. It's unusual to have higher upload speeds here. On a good day my internet connection might run about 2/3 of the maximum speed, usually about half though, and if something around 0,5 mbps upload doesn't cut it, there's really nothing I can do to help it. So... hoping that's not (at least) the (only) cause.
    edited February 2013
    Another update from me.

I've tried playing off and on loads since Friday night (UK). Same thing over and over, If I get a toon to complete the first quest after taking port to enclave then that's about as far as I can get. One time I've got a toon to head to sewer? entrance but nothing there to click on and after a min or two I get ported back to where I started. Also I've seen one or two other peeps doing the exact same thing after trying to click on something that doesn't show. They end up bunny-hopping around the area probably in frustration...well I can certainly feel their pain lol.

So thats about it from me, as I can't seem to get any toon I create past lvl 4 my first impressions of this game are um..trying to find a word to describe it..oh yes..pathetic :D

..and just to make sure I don't get clobbered by the forum police my rig is high-end built by yours truly. Router is a brand new Asus DSL N55U set up properly and with the latest firmware. I've run a speetest and my connection is fine.
    edited February 2013
    I totally agree on ur description mate. Ive spent my entire weekend making chars, deleting chars, uninstalling clients, reinstalling clients. Logging in and out. restarting game close to 100 times I think. I know its beta or else this would all be in french! My inetconnection is 24/3 and is working fine and my computer is topnotch. Im throwing in the towel til next betaweekend.