test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

200$ pack is 268,59$ in EU WTF!?!?

gapamangapaman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
k i like waht i see so i went and use 200$ on it, i know it Alot of money 2 day's after i log on my bank account and see i pay 268,59$ WTF? so i went to Perfect World Support and ask WTF why dit i pay 68,59$ more???

and now here it get F... Perfect World Support say well you live in EU so you pay whit € not $

WTF Perfect World ?!?
Post edited by gapaman on

Comments

• Options
    vyrennvyrenn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    be happy you are fortunate enough to have the money money to even purchase the 200$ pack i myself cant even purchase the lowest priced pack due to money problems so all i can really say is get a refund if not satisfied or just deal with it =/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vyrennvyrenn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    hopefully everything turns out the best for you sorry to hear you are upset man
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lostboyashlostboyash Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think its taxes, dude. They sucks. I don't live in the EU and had to jump through a dozen hoops on a Euro purchase to get the tax refunded(For some reason they wouldn't charge me in dollars, even though I'm not in the EU). In the end, it was quite a significant amount of money.
  • Options
    shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I paid 189,99€. :)
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Probably VAT tax.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    maybe his purchase bugged or he accidently ordered other packs at the same time?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    simpathicsimpathic Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would be willing to purchase the Collector's ED Heros of the North but not before I have even had a chance to try the game. I don't understand why anyone would be willing to shell out 200 dollars for a game they haven't even tried yet. I am sure that I'm not the only one who has made the mistake of getting a collector ed in the past for a game that ended up being totally fail, even though it looked good in previews and such. Case in point Final Fantasy 14, Star Trek Online, Age of Conan just to name a few. So even though this looks to be a promising game why do I as a player spend that much money on a game that I haven't even had the opertunity to try?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    simpathic wrote: »
    I would be willing to purchase the Collector's ED Heros of the North but not before I have even had a chance to try the game. I don't understand why anyone would be willing to shell out 200 dollars for a game they haven't even tried yet. I am sure that I'm not the only one who has made the mistake of getting a collector ed in the past for a game that ended up being totally fail, even though it looked good in previews and such. Case in point Final Fantasy 14, Star Trek Online, Age of Conan just to name a few. So even though this looks to be a promising game why do I as a player spend that much money on a game that I haven't even had the opertunity to try?

I know, right?! I mean, I was looking forward to playing this game and now they selling Founders pack's for $200. I was so looking forward to this game but now I'll never be able to play!

Edit: Scratch that, sorry for the rant, everyone. simpathic, you had me going there. I was thinking that you had to buy a founders pack to try the game. Apparently, that is not the case. You can still play at launch, even if you don't buy now.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    The price increase is due to the Eurpean Value Added Tax. Cryptic gets nothing from that price increase.

Sadly the only thing you can do is complain to your government officials because Cryptic has absolutely no control of it.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    lostboyash wrote: »
    I know, right?! I mean, I was looking forward to playing this game and now they selling Founders pack's for $200. I was so looking forward to this game but now I'll never be able to play!

Edit: Scratch that, sorry for the rant, everyone. simpathic, you had me going there. I was thinking that you had to buy a founders pack to try the game. Apparently, that is not the case. You can still play at launch, even if you don't buy now.

Yea I was just complaining how they want us to spend all this money with out having a chance to try the game first.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    @simpathic: Have you made any attempt to get a beta key?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I signed up for the beta, and I checked my gamestop to see if they had any key giveaways but, I have come up empty.
  • Options
    shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    simpathic wrote: »
    Yea I was just complaining how they want us to spend all this money with out having a chance to try the game first.
    They want, so? You have the choice of spending it or not. The game will be F2P no matter what you or others do. Some people will play the game for years without spending a single cent. Others will spend thousands (of cents :p ) over the years.

The packs are more of a "kind of" pre-purchase of Collector Edition. (With questionable prices/content depending to who you ask) As there is no box (toally free to play), they cannot offer such a thing as a CE so just some items and bonuses as exclusive (till they are not anymore... like any other MMO?). Agree? Pay (if you can). Don't agree? Don't pay.

I heard that Las Vegas is quite successful. If we consider the nature of gambling, compared to the people playing there, my money is far better "investment".:p Certainly better than spending it on beers (I love water anyways).
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    shiaika wrote: »
    They want, so? You have the choice of spending it or not. The game will be F2P no matter what you or others do. Some people will play the game for years without spending a single cent. Others will spend thousands (of cents :p ) over the years.

The packs are more of a "kind of" pre-purchase of Collector Edition. (With questionable prices/content depending to who you ask) As there is no box (toally free to play), they cannot offer such a thing as a CE so just some items and bonuses as exclusive (till they are not anymore... like any other MMO?). Agree? Pay (if you can). Don't agree? Don't pay.

I heard that Las Vegas is quite successful. If we consider the nature of gambling, compared to the people playing there, my money is far better "investment".:p Certainly better than spending it on beers (I love water anyways).

I don't have a problem with spending the money and if the game is any good I would love to have the pack. I don't feel how ever that I should pay 200 dollars only to find out its as bad or worse then what Startrek online was.
  • Options
    kellax3kellax3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As of today, $200 is €149.47. I am going to assume their system is having some difficulty correctly translating the exchange rates; I think the system inversely exchanged the currencies because €200 is $267.62 today. And the exchange rate was higher yesterday, so yeah... they screwed up.

However, using profanity is a poor way of asking for a refund or credit.
  • Options
    kellax3kellax3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    shiaika wrote: »
    Certainly better than spending it on beers (I love water anyways).

You sir need a beer. The right beer will cure you of your predilection for water.
  • Options
    dodgingmetdodgingmet Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've got a question which is relevant to this. Why the hell am I being charged via the Euro when I clearly write in the address bar that I'm from England, we don't use that currency and it costs a lot more if I pay via Euro. We used British Sterling my friends, charge me in it or you'll get none of my money.
  • Options
    solidxgoldsolidxgold Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well I just bought the game in the UK, and I'm about to cancel it.

The game (The founders pack) is $199.99 a lot of cash, which I don't mind paying.

Paid by Paypal, and they have charged me in Euro's, so I have ended up paying a lot more for the game than paying in USD.

199.99USD = 189.99EUR (What it cost in Euro's)

199.99USD = 127.69GBP (What it should have cost in GBP)

189.99EUR = 164.06GBP (What I paid in GBP)

36.35GBP (What I paid extra by them taking payment in Euro's)

257.63USD (What l actually paid for the game)

Exchange rates by Expedia. (They will vary slightly)

British buyers BEWARE.

Either I find a way to pay in USD or I ain't going to bother with the game yet, the price will soon drop.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I kind of understand here. They should make it clear to EU users that it will cost them much more than 200$ due to whatever reason. It is ethically wrong not to advertise that information.

Whenever a price is displayed anywhere, it usually refers to the cost to users. And "it is US game" argument does not hold as they have made it clear with localizations, EU betas and EU conferences (and Auzzie conferences) that the game is intended to be international.
  • Options
    htf123htf123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yeah it sucks but I bought it anyway as it is not their fault ^^
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    I kind of understand here. They should make it clear to EU users that it will cost them much more than 200$ due to whatever reason. It is ethically wrong not to advertise that information.

Whenever a price is displayed anywhere, it usually refers to the cost to users. And "it is US game" argument does not hold as they have made it clear with localizations, EU betas and EU conferences (and Auzzie conferences) that the game is intended to be international.

It's nothing to with EU users paying more, they are NOT paying any more than the the asking price $199.99

It's to do with exchange rates, if you wanted to buy $199.99 with Euro's you would pay 147.87EUR for them, so the game is not any more expensive, and it's nothing to do with European taxes as they would have to state a tax has been added.

It's $199.99 and you have to allow for varying exchange rates.

The problem arises when you convert GBP into EUR and then into USD

Actually having just checked the exchange rates again $199.99 = 147.87EUR = 127.69GBP <<< Now I wouldn't have mind paying that>

However they charged me 189.99EUR or 168.09GBP <<<< Way over the top.

The have the exchange rate as 1GBP = 1.13028EUR when UKForex have it as 1.1733EUR.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    htf123 wrote: »
    Yeah it sucks but I bought it anyway as it is not their fault ^^

It IS their fault by not letting GB buyers pay in US Dollars.
  • Options
    htf123htf123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They add a 25% VAT on top of it so your 150 EUR + 25% = 189.99 so they charged correctly. The issue really is that our UK tax is 20% not 25% so we have been overcharged by 5%.

It is not legal for them to ask us to charge in US Dollars (thanks to a stupid EU regulation), they must use an EU currency and as they only take Euros and not GBP this was their only choice.
  • Options
    taemekegtaemekeg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    solidxgold wrote: »
    Well I just bought the game in the UK, and I'm about to cancel it.

The game (The founders pack) is $199.99 a lot of cash, which I don't mind paying.

Paid by Paypal, and they have charged me in Euro's, so I have ended up paying a lot more for the game than paying in USD.

199.99USD = 189.99EUR (What it cost in Euro's)

199.99USD = 127.69GBP (What it should have cost in GBP)

189.99EUR = 164.06GBP (What I paid in GBP)

36.35GBP (What I paid extra by them taking payment in Euro's)

257.63USD (What l actually paid for the game)

Exchange rates by Expedia. (They will vary slightly)

British buyers BEWARE.

Either I find a way to pay in USD or I ain't going to bother with the game yet, the price will soon drop.

VAT tax, move countries.
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Cryptic does not charge more to European or British customers.
    I agree that it is odd to charge a British customer in Euros, but it is irrelevant. The UK has a 20% VAT tax.
    It doesn't matter what currency you use, a 20% tax is a 20% tax.

Current Exchange Rates (as I type this)
    1 USD = 0.74 EUR (or 1 EUR = 1.35 USD)
    1 EUR = 0.86 GBP (or 1 GBP = 1.16 EUR)
    1 GBP = 1.57 USD (or 1 USD = 0.64 GBP)

199.99 USD = 127.26 GBP
    127.26 GBP + 20% VAT = 152.71 GBP

or

199.99 USD = 147.64 EUR
    147.64 EUR + 20% VAT = 177.16 EUR

or
    199.99 USD + 20% = 239.98 USD

No matter how you convert the currencies, 20% is 20%.
    At current exchange rates:
    152.71 GBP = 177.16 EUR = 239.98 USD

The UK government website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/buying.htm#5 also mentions the possibilty of handling fees.

Edit: Crrency conversions from http://coinmill.com/
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    taemekeg wrote: »
    VAT tax, move countries.

Your wrong, there is no vat tax added, I have just had a reply back from suppport and the cost is a direct conversion of the $199.99, there is NO tax added.
  • Options
    deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 185
    edited February 2013
    A mod has already posted the price increase is not due to PW or cryptic, that is simply the increased price/tax it costs via currency change. If a company charges 200 US dollars for item A. it may cost more for u to purchase it with another currency...This is common knowledge and as the mod already pointed out the company receives nothing from the increased price...they arnt trying to gouge prices for non- US residence ...You can write a letter to your government officials or ask for a refund...complaining on forums about something everyone (should) already know is a bit silly =/ and childish
  • Options
    taemekegtaemekeg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Your wrong, there is no vat tax added, I have just had a reply back from suppport and the cost is a direct conversion of the $199.99, there is NO tax added.

Support wouldn't know if there is VAT tax or not, that is controlled by your own contries region.........

By the way, it is You're.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    taemekeg wrote: »
    Support wouldn't know if there is VAT tax or not, that is controlled by your own contries region.........

By the way, it is You're.

I don't care what you say there isn't a tax, the game is $199.99 in the EU, not $199.99 + tax.

The difference is just because of the exchange rates, which vary quite regularly.

So people in the EU would theoretically pay more for it one day than another, although PW seem to have set the exchange rate at a fixed rate.

You're/your, I really don't care, are you that desperate ?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I don't care what you say there isn't a tax, the game is $199.99 in the EU, not $199.99 + tax.

The difference is just because of the exchange rates, which vary quite regularly.

So people in the EU would theoretically pay more for it one day than another, although PW seem to have set the exchange rate at a fixed rate.

You're/your, I really don't care, are you that desperate ?

Learn to read the fine print when paying a subscription, it clearly spells out there will be costs added based on your countries tax system......it will also state that those costs of service will not include said taxes................
This discussion has been closed.