test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

We need song! We need dance! BARDS!

markfalconemarkfalcone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4
edited March 2013 in The Thieves' Den
Where are the hybrid classes in the list of future classes? Particularly the bards. Always a fun play in my book. Monks, not bad, but always had issues with rules that didn't make it fun. Bards? ALways fun to play, even the 2nd edition bard kits. Hoping to hear about bards here. Did I mention bards?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    You do not need to be lawful anymore to be a monk. The alignment locks do not apply to 4e. Though discipline is important for every psion.
  • grassette07grassette07 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I am completely with you, I love bards.
  • markfalconemarkfalcone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    To be honest, Gillrmn, I never had a problem with playing a Lawful character. The monks from 1st edition into 2nd edition and then into the expansions just didn't... play right. Does that make any sense? They didn't feel like monks. Oriental Adventures solved a few problems only to create a huge mess with regards to martial arts in general.
    edited January 2013
    To be honest, Gillrmn, I never had a problem with playing a Lawful character. The monks from 1st edition into 2nd edition and then into the expansions just didn't... play right. Does that make any sense? They didn't feel like monks. Oriental Adventures solved a few problems only to create a huge mess with regards to martial arts in general.

I don't know about earlier monks, but 3e monks were bad for me, 3.5e monks were just ok but not anything much - however 4e monks are Fun Fun!!! Happy happy joy joy!

So you should try it. 4e monk is different :)

Although monks in FR are rare.

EDIT: FR monks are those earlier real monks who used to write books and not do any fights and stuff. Yeah monks are oriental, but if you make a background a bit differently, you can role play as anything. Point is monks are people who live among peasents and fight for peasents. So their weapons are more like peasent weapons and dirt poor kind of thingies... thats why they have no money for armor or swords ... :p
  • markfalconemarkfalcone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    EDIT: FR monks are those earlier real monks who used to write books and not do any fights and stuff. Yeah monks are oriental, but if you make a background a bit differently, you can role play as anything. Point is monks are people who live among peasents and fight for peasents. So their weapons are more like peasent weapons and dirt poor kind of thingies... thats why they have no money for armor or swords ... :p

Love this notation because according to research I did for a paper my Freshman year of college, that is exactly what ninja really were, particularly the Iga ninja. 99% of what they were doing to earn a reputation was trickery designed to frighten people from the mountains of Iga so the military powers would leave them alone. Poisons were not elaborate chemistry but simple things such as dung to cause long and drawn out infections that would eventually kill. It is hypothesized that a majority of tengu or demon legends come from the Iga's use of masks, smoke, and strange sounds to scare away strangers. Koga, on the other hand, were a family hired by Tokugawa. They were more like rogues and bandits, learning ways of assassination and theft from necessity and then honing such abilities under a military-like secret training. It is said Tokugawa's castle staff was made up of the members from the Koga province who took him up on his offer to pay them to do what they'd always been best at. Even they never used anything that couldn't easily be had, from building nails (shuriken) to threshers (nunchaku). That is also why ninjato, swords, were short and never very sharp. They were recast farming implements.
  • hellhammerhellhammer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Agreed with the Bard. Oddly enough it's one of me and my wife's favorite classes.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Could I have your support on this thread?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Am I the only one that doesn't have any interest in the bard class....I never understood the concept of it. The definition of a bard is a poet who traditionally recites epics...I don't know by the time he finished I would have hit him with a shield smashed his instrument, broke his hands, and chopped at his larynx...problem solved you are no longer a bard...
  • jackherrerrjackherrerr Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No I completely agree the concept of a bard sounds alright at first, then you think about trying to make the class complex and it would be just a guy standing there playing the flute the whole time. No movement technique, super squishy.. no dynamic ability that I can think of besides just giving them crazy songs to stun/sleep/fear or something.. but that seems lame in a sense.
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Am I the only one that doesn't have any interest in the bard class....I never understood the concept of it. The definition of a bard is a poet who traditionally recites epics...I don't know by the time he finished I would have hit him with a shield smashed his instrument, broke his hands, and chopped at his larynx...problem solved you are no longer a bard...

I know that feels, bro. The good (or bad) thing about bards is that they can range from being bottom feeders on my boots to OPed untouchables through their multiclassing, depending on the player.
  • ichbinichbin Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Bard's one of those classes that not too many play as, but ppl will love you for it. Multiple games have bards (DDO, Rift, FF11, etc), and while being a great jack-of-all-trades, ultimately becomes a support tool. Ahh, but the power of being loved. Its a great feeling standing around, sipping a drink, reading blogs, all the while being praised by your teammates... just for being there.

I'll be looking forward to it...
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    *holds back small mob* Bard detractors have the right to state their opinion!

we'll get em when they leave the thread
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • elpumamanelpumaman Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well to me, a bard has magical music just like wizards and sorcerers have magical... magic. It might not be traditional magic, but they can put so much emotion into their music that it has powerful effects on the listeners, positive or negative. I think it could fit into the framework of the game, but it is tough to make it useful but neither too strong nor weak.
  • barachielangelbarachielangel Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Unfortunately, this game is based on 4th Edition, and Bards are the red-headed step-child, relegated to a supplemental Player's Guide sequel somewhere down the line. It was replaced with Warlord, who fulfills all the same functions, but with the flavor of being a tactical leader rather than an entertainer.
  • chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would love to see bards get added. Most games that deviate from the tank-healer-damager type do so best with the hybrid classes.
  • javipal1javipal1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The onlyone class for rogue is the trickster rogue? nothing more?, only 5 class
    edited February 2013
    Unfortunately, this game is based on 4th Edition, and Bards are the red-headed step-child, relegated to a supplemental Player's Guide sequel somewhere down the line. It was replaced with Warlord, who fulfills all the same functions, but with the flavor of being a tactical leader rather than an entertainer.

Out of curiosity did you actually read the bard class?

You'll see how powerful they are if you did.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • reesekracusreesekracus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I also agree and hope thats Bards are on the short list for classes. Bards would be a great addition.

And even though bards are drastically different in 4E, they are a fun and powerful class!
  • icosagonicosagon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Bards in 4e were amazing. Sure, you kinda miss on the all the traditional stuff in 3.5, but is quickly forgotten when you gain access to some of the best party buff powers in the game. Did I mention that 4e bards get insane bonuses to all skills? A bard could legitimately replace a rogue.
    edited February 2013
    icosagon wrote: »
    Bards in 4e were amazing. Sure, you kinda miss on the all the traditional stuff in 3.5, but is quickly forgotten when you gain access to some of the best party buff powers in the game. Did I mention that 4e bards get insane bonuses to all skills? A bard could legitimately replace a rogue.
    Bard+Multiclass == Win win!!!
    edited February 2013
    The rogue is buried in a hidden grave and secretly replaced with the bard and their amazing bluff skill. :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • svijany12svijany12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited February 2013
    I am very positive that they will add bard later after the release because frankly... it won't be a proper DnD experience without bard would it.
    'Onoronodonovon takes you!'
  • morsrex22morsrex22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Would love to see bard as a playable class!
  • silknightsilknight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 199
    edited February 2013
    Yes to bards! I loved my D n D bard.
  • torqumadatorqumada Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They will put the Bard in the game, but it will be the 1st edition bard and require you to gain levels as a fighter, rogue and then druid, once it's put into the game. Then, and only then, can you become a bard.

Torqumada
  • godofthornsgodofthorns Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It is important to visualize the Bard in all its glory! Here, I think I can provide actual footage of the legendary Bard, Flynn the Fine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOUksDJCijw

You can clearly witness the Bard's skills being effectively utilized in the vid link above, at the following time intervals noted below:

17:24 to 17:47 - The Bard seduces a wild mage (fellow party member)

23:10 to 23:27 - The Bard seduces a celibate priestess

26:40 to 26:54 - The Bard pacifies a goblin horde using his music, avoiding a major violent confrontation

29:01 to 29:11 - The Bard dodges a second goblin attack

31:14 to 31:28 - The Bard seduces the barmaid

32:51 to 33:09 - The Bard buffs the party with battle music

33:13 to 33:18 - The Bard assists the party with defeating a group of zombie-ninjas

34:44 to 35:10 - The Bard convinces an NPC Paladin to leave the room

36:54 to 37:08 - The Bard obtained valuable information to assist the party regarding villain's location

39:01 to 39:35 - The Bard uses his knowledge of lore to assist the party

58:16 to 58:40 - The Bard uses his skill to break a fellow party member free from a demon's control

1:14:11 to 1:14:47 - The Bard backstabs a target to great effect

1:24:31 to 1:25:26 - The Bard uses his music to weaken the main villain's power and assist the party

1:36:20 to 1:36:29 - The Bard seduces both the priestess and the barmaid (again)

Bards - The backbone of any party...come join us, won't you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thorn
  • mo0shak3mo0shak3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    FR monks are those earlier real monks who used to write books and not do any fights and stuff. Yeah monks are oriental, but if you make a background a bit differently, you can role play as anything. Point is monks are people who live among peasents and fight for peasents. So their weapons are more like peasent weapons and dirt poor kind of thingies... thats why they have no money for armor or swords ... :p

Well iirc Cadderly the cleric in R.A. Salvatore's "The Cleric Quintet" was married to a more oriental styled monk named Danica(?). I also believe there were mentions of monk orders in Neverwinter Nights if you talked to the dwarf monk hireling about his past.

But I would love to see the 4E incarnation of Bards in the game. They were great leader role characters that buffed the party like non-other.
  • doctordoriandoctordorian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 75
    edited March 2013
    Amen. Bard is my favorite class in D&D. iconically in all games that have bards, they usually are the group buff/debuff class.

my favorite reasons for playing a bard:

1.) underrated, played less often. this makes me special :P
    2.) jack of all trades. i can cast spells, i can melee, and i have a wide variety of skills.
    3.) I like charisma based characters that can influence others.
    4.) the pied piper--controlling mobs :)
    5.) I like rocking out with my lute.
    6.) my synergetic and buffing abilities make me desired as a party member
    7.) Bardic Knowledge FTW. my favorite roll in pnp. I usually can cajole my DM into making me an expert on most things.

not to mention how the class allows for a lot of diversification by taking feats from other classes, be able to use items otherwise restricted, etc etc.
  • ricktacularricktacular Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    We've secretly replaced this party's rogue with a bard, let's see if they know the difference...

@GodofThorns: The Games is hilarious, but I hated that bard! Not that he wasn't being exactly what a bard is, only seeing that dough-boy of an actor performing those bardic feats. Then again, that's the idea behind D&D, huh? ;)
  • tormsy85tormsy85 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    mo0shak3 wrote: »
    Well iirc Cadderly the cleric in R.A. Salvatore's "The Cleric Quintet" was married to a more oriental styled monk named Danica(?). I also believe there were mentions of monk orders in Neverwinter Nights if you talked to the dwarf monk hireling about his past.
    Yes, Cadderly is married to Danica who is a monk, though I'm not entirely sure where the concept of oriental came from. And the dwarven fighter you get as your first permanent companion could be upgraded to a monk if you do the quest right. I do believe there are mentioning of monks in candle keep, though I think that's the scholarly type of monk.