test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Disabling Mounts in UGC

mokahmokah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Simple question with the confirmation of mounts such as the armored spider...

Will UGC authors be able to disable mounts from being used in UGC content?
Mokah - The Grumpy Strumpet
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by mokah on

Comments

• Options
    soth007soth007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    what does UGC stand for?
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    soth007 wrote: »
    what does UGC stand for?
    User Generated Content
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    No. UGC authors cannot influence player behavior.

Players are free to choose to do anything the game allows

EDIT:

The reason I say it is not a modding tool but a Story editor.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    We can't influence monsters, players or rewarded treasures to stop exploiting. Can you imagine if we could enhance instead of disable mounts to now attack? I realize you may hate some "ridiculous" mounts, but when users enter the foundry mission, you wont be witnessing it. Ever.

So let the drow-sy wousey with their kitties and wolfies and furry leg crawlies have fun even if you hate it, and nobody will subsequently try to disable YOUR companions even if they hate some kind of [insert biased against type here.]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    elveelve Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 336
    edited January 2013
    I have seen several games not allowing mounts in dungeons and as UGC is pretty much that I can imagine that the mounts will be disabled to begin with.
  • Options
    tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    We can't influence monsters, players or rewarded treasures to stop exploiting. Can you imagine if we could enhance instead of disable mounts to now attack? I realize you may hate some "ridiculous" mounts, but when users enter the foundry mission, you wont be witnessing it. Ever.

So let the drow-sy wousey with their kitties and wolfies and furry leg crawlies have fun even if you hate it, and nobody will subsequently try to disable YOUR companions even if they hate some kind of [insert biased against type here.]

What is wrong with trying to create a certain atmosphere in your story? I would certainly hope that mounts are disabled in some locations. Game would lose some immersion and fun for me if I saw someone riding a horse in what was supposed to be a small twisty cave.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • Options
    bluesteel8bluesteel8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What is wrong with trying to create a certain atmosphere in your story? I would certainly hope that mounts are disabled in some locations. Game would lose some immersion and fun for me if I saw someone riding a horse in what was supposed to be a small twisty cave.

Even a spider mount? ;)
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    The Older Gamers (25+) - Never too old to play games
  • Options
    tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    bluesteel8 wrote: »
    Even a spider mount? ;)

Well when I find a place wide enough to get around the spider I will go and find where it scraped you off on a stalagtite.:)

Actually a spider mount in a cave, provided it is big enough, seems appropriate to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Actually a spider mount in a cave, provided it is big enough, seems appropriate to me.

And what is wrong with elephant in the room?

They cannot enforce opinions of others to others. It is your opinion and what is fine to you - it cannot be basis for what you think is RP to be correct RP.

In short, you do your stuff, let others do others. Respecting freedom of others is first rule of good RP.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    And what is wrong with elephant in the room?

They cannot enforce opinions of others to others. It is your opinion and what is fine to you - it cannot be basis for what you think is RP to be correct RP.

In short, you do your stuff, let others do others. Respecting freedom of others is first rule of good RP.

Correct, which is why if a designer of a quest wants no mounts you should repect that opinion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Correct, which is why if a designer of a quest wants no mounts you should repect that opinion.

You are free to play your PC as you like - do not use mounts when in your instance with your party.

How can you call forcing others to not mount as opinion? Seems clearly "forced RP" to me. And I a against 'forced RP' as much as I am against 'forced PvP'.

When doing your own foundry instances, find a party of people who play like you and do quests with them. Why bothers others not in your party?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    When I play in someone elses sandbox I play by their rules. I'm not discussing playing as you are right I will play with a group whose style I enjoy. I just think it is as wrong for me to tell you how to play in the content created by the Devs as it is wrong to tell a creator of UGC how they should build.

Personally I hope a few creators create situations where even the oder your party is marching in is important.

Going to avoid the whole RP thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • Options
    sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I figure that certain region types in the core game will disable mounts, such as civilized interiors. If a foundry author designs a map of that type, the GAME rules should disable mounts.

Vast Underground Caverns should allow mounts, as should underground city "exteriors"

All interiors (in the context of shops, houses, inns, etc) should disallow mounts. But like I said, it should be the game rules that dictate when and where mounts are disabled, not the foundry author.

Unless the Foundry grants authors the ability to create persistant worlds, in which case the author should be able to set the rules. That could use its own thread for discussion, though.
    I'm not really a John Galt,
    but I play one on the forums...
    :P
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    When I play in someone elses sandbox I play by their rules....

Then you misunderstand foundry. You create missions - that is the function of foundry. You do not and cannot create rules.

All you do is design campaign like go there, kill it, get loot, talk and leave.

That is the function of foundry. Rest whatever extra is done, is imagination of authors and not what foundry is designed to do.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Moderator Notice: This thread has been cleansed. If one cannot post their opinions and feedback without insulting anyone, single or broad, then refrain from posting. It is really that simple.

Because some of the replied were a mix of good info and what I stated above, the removed posts now are serving a life sentence in the
    Lower Depths. Responses to this notice will be removed, please contact us via PM to discuss or complain.

Thank you,
    Zebular, PWE Community Moderator
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Remember, if an author can decide what a character can get with their inventory that is and can be used as exploiting, and will not be allowed. Again, I don't care what your personal opinion is, you don't have ANY right to it once it starts influencing OTHER characters, especially when it can effect tens of thousands of players.

If Cryptic allows mods that can allow or disallow what a player has in posession, then we'll bring this discussion up again with me. I'll abstain from future personal comments on the thread most likely.

For now professionally, we will tolerate the discussion, but repeated insults will not only have the thread locked, if done deliberately by the supporters and/or detractors of this topic (no derailing to close it) it MAY cause review for infractions depending on the offenses. You all are now informally warned.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    adamantium1adamantium1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The foundry is limited thus one cannot make 4 foot tall 2 foot narrow corridors which would not allow a mount to pass through it. There is not one P&P dungeon/adventure that i have created over the last 35 years which i will be able to create. They are very complex and there are many outcomes dependent on what the party does or does not do. Its not as simple as success or failure. One could fail and still triumph in the end.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The foundry is limited thus one cannot make 4 foot tall 2 foot narrow corridors ....

Umm.... actually you can :)

But if mounts are allowed inside or not - you can't decide. And in such passages you cannot have fights and encounter as they need space.

Besides player will simply mount outside of that area.

EDIT:
    If it is similar to STO foundry
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    The foundry is limited thus one cannot make 4 foot tall 2 foot narrow corridors which would not allow a mount to pass through it.

You absolutely can.

As for the rest of the details...I think you should get your hands on it before you assume it can't do anything.
    You may be surprised.
  • Options
    mokahmokah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Actually the initial question was asked based on possible story options and abilities for authors. Can someone confirm that mounts or other larger players couldn't fit through certain passages? That actually opens other building possibilities if true.

Edit: I see gillrmn, answered again with how that would work, or function.
    Mokah - The Grumpy Strumpet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    adamantium1adamantium1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    You absolutely can.

As for the rest of the details...I think you should get your hands on it before you assume it can't do anything.
    You may be surprised.

So a larger character will have to crouch or crawl through the corridor?

Will i be able to put conditional events ie if a party fails at A event F happens, it a party fails at B event G happens, If party fails at C event H happens. If the party fails in part A but succeeds with event F they continue with the adventure. If the party fails at B and fails the event G event X happens.