test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Only Greatswords?

Comments

• gasgiantmotugasgiantmotu Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    tethiyel wrote: »
    I'm all for wielding scythes. I loved Dark Knights in FFXI.

I also approve of using Halflings as improvised melee weapons.

Why have them relegated to improvised melee weapons?

Feat: Exotic Weapon Proficiency Humanoid - Humanoid creatures of one size category or smaller than the attacking creature can be used as melee weapons without the -4 penalty of using an improvised weapon. There's some grapple rules in there and what not.

Long story short I BSed a DM in a game I was in to let me take that as a feat for my Dwarven Ranger... No Goblin was safe mwua! ha! ha!
  • tethiyeltethiyel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31
    edited January 2013
    I guess I have other things I would spend feats on. Though that sounds like a great feat for a dwarven monk I know...
    "What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause? To use their own knowledge against them?"
  • drizzt1814drizzt1814 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It wouldn't be DnD without being able to get an assortment of different armor and weapons.
    I'm sure this detail won't be overlooked.
  • vagrantzerovagrantzero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well I'm fairly easy to please. Greatswords is really the only thing I want. I actually stopped playing Guild Wars 2 because to be truly at your peak you had to switch between weapon types on the fly...and I only like greatswords.
  • markfalconemarkfalcone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    "When all else fails, USE A BIGGER HAMMER!"
  • lawfulstupidlawfulstupid Member Posts: 55
    edited January 2013
    How about Shoulder pauldrons with two angry little gnomes with spears chained to them? That would be useful for keeping all of those sneaky little backstabbers away.
    The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
  • swedishtrexswedishtrex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    so alot of funny posts but not an answer to the original question :/

trying to picture my proud delzoun with a sword and keep finding myself hitting the gag reflex... 2handed axes and maces IS a must.
  • lawfulstupidlawfulstupid Member Posts: 55
    edited January 2013
    Personally, I'm holding out for halberts. I like kicking it real school with weapons that ancient men-at-arms actually preferred :)
    The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    so alot of funny posts but not an answer to the original question :/

trying to picture my proud delzoun with a sword and keep finding myself hitting the gag reflex... 2handed axes and maces IS a must.

That's not a question.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mazarenmazaren Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 67
    edited February 2013
    so will we see a multitude of different 2Handed weapons as seen in previous posts. truth might you have any information on this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    mazaren wrote: »
    so will we see a multitude of different 2Handed weapons as seen in previous posts. truth might you have any information on this.

We should be ... perhaps.

We were told so I mean - that you can use similar and different weapons.

*fidgets for scythe*
  • aeternys123aeternys123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    We should be ... perhaps.

We were told so I mean - that you can use similar and different weapons.

*fidgets for scythe*

Seriously though, scythe please.
  • maliusnightmaliusnight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Bah Great Swords are Great! You want an Scythe? You gonna get harvest a wheat field with that?
    I'll stick with the sword. I mean its Great after all, says so in the name. I'm sure we will have to live with them adding Axes at some point, but I'm hoping they don't cave, and just keep Great Weapon Fighters Great with Great Swords.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Allegedly, but not to start. Looks like it starts as sword unless the devs want to admit something later for the class will be released with other weapons?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    Bah Great Swords are Great! You want an Scythe? You gonna get harvest a wheat field with that?
    I'll stick with the sword. I mean its Great after all, says so in the name. I'm sure we will have to live with them adding Axes at some point, but I'm hoping they don't cave, and just keep Great Weapon Fighters Great with Great Swords.
    I hope to see you in thundertree where Flora undead will be using you as manure - I will just walk by there and ask you, "Hey Wazzup!" and walk away safely with my Scythe.

And them undead plants are more slimy than oozes.
    edited February 2013
    I hope to see you in thundertree where Flora undead will be using you as manure - I will just walk by there and ask you, "Hey Wazzup!" and walk away safely with my Scythe.

And them undead plants are more slimy than oozes.

Bob like curvy sword too!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rickmanrickman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by maliusnight View Post

It'd Be fine if it was a War Scythe, Since ya know... they are used for combat (Repurposed Farming tools for the Win).
    On the Other Hand Actual Scythes are getting really popular with various Groups for a "Reaping" Weapon... Something Sinister about them i think
    Diplomancy: Sometimes "I hit it with my Axe" is the only Answer.
    A Challenge is something interesting and awkward until you beat it... then it's called "Repetative"

Neverwinter on TVTropes(Needs some loving)
    Neverwinter Nights on TVTropes
  • volcxxxvolcxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I remember in one of the podcast dev told something about 2-h axe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8vNMqSWF1aU#

~19.55
    5cm82e.jpg
    Old "Blood and Sand: Unchained" quest
    Played more than 100 000 times!
    > TRY IT NOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ecy4o6JqLc
  • denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    In 4e there aren't many builds as strong as a Polearm fighter. Coupled with a more aggressive role, it can really turn the table for the party, with powerful damage and control. I'm going to play it, if it's possible.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
    edited February 2013
    rickman wrote: »
    Quote Originally Posted by maliusnight View Post

It'd Be fine if it was a War Scythe, Since ya know... they are used for combat (Repurposed Farming tools for the Win).
    On the Other Hand Actual Scythes are getting really popular with various Groups for a "Reaping" Weapon... Something Sinister about them i think
    I already explained the reason - why real scythes instead of battle scythes be used for the game because that makes more sense in 4e.
    And I believe I was told that it should be possible to use scythe with GWF fighter - though we don't know if it will be (or what "possible to" means).

The reason that scythe is used instead of battle scythe is because you use your wisdom modifier to wield it. In battle, scythe is not use because of its unpredictability. It is more or less a glorified spear which needs lesser skill to wield it.

However in 4e, you use your power of oracle to predict paths which scythe can take - hence the wisdom modifier.
    edited February 2013
    The reason that scythe is used instead of battle scythe is because you use your wisdom modifier to wield it. In battle, scythe is not use because of its unpredictability. It is more or less a glorified spear which needs lesser skill to wield it.

I don't see how, since it's a heavy blade weapon. Thus it uses Str (obiouvsly) and Dex (up to 17 for the master, 15 in the Paragon tier). It's not a really good weapon, overall, expecially for Fighters.

St. Augustinus
    edited February 2013
    denkasaeba wrote: »
    I don't see how, since it's a heavy blade weapon. Thus it uses Str (obiouvsly) and Dex (up to 17 for the master, 15 in the Paragon tier). It's not a really good weapon, overall, expecially for Fighters.
    Hmmm... maybe I confused it with Avenger's ability then. I do remember my Avenger always using wisdom modifier for Scythe weapons rolls.
    edited February 2013
    Hmmm... maybe I confused it with Avenger's ability then. I do remember my Avenger always using wisdom modifier for Scythe weapons rolls.

Yeah, unfortunately :D Avengers use wis for rolls and power damage. Fighters use wis for some weapons (polearm, for instance) and as bonus to attack rolls on Opportunity Attacks.

St. Augustinus
  • paramedicninjaparamedicninja Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I really hope we get axes and hammers atleast to go along with the greatswords.
  • ichbinichbin Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Well, the new trailer shows a guy with a greataxe...
    edited February 2013
    Don't expect it at release. Anyway, notice they also had a shield on their back, so they hybrid bastardized the classes in the video. Same with showing a class which I bet is NOT wizard throwing fire which info I know even beyond NDA and means I can't elaborate for a while.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • geddings12geddings12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    aeroth001 wrote: »
    *opens bottle of 200 years old demon blood*
    only 200 years old?
  • rabidrabbit7fiverabidrabbit7five Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    If you watch the video, the "Great Weapon Fighter" text has artwork showing a crossed sword and ax, which makes me think that they just used a basic great sword in the video out of convenience, and that a GWF will be able to use all the weapons available to the build in the 4e rules.

Also, as an aside, it is my understanding that the awful spinning animation has been changed. Cross your fingers on that.

So maybe while they are specialized in 2-handed weapons, they could still use other sorts of weapons? I certainly hope so.
    edited February 2013
    So maybe while they are specialized in 2-handed weapons, they could still use other sorts of weapons? I certainly hope so.

No, they are not.

Guardian is using sword and shield, and great is using greatsword. Sorry to be blunt about how inaccurate that video is now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No, they are not.

Guardian is using sword and shield, and great is using greatsword. Sorry to be blunt about how inaccurate that video is now.

So to make sure I follow what you're saying her Truth. GWF can ONLY use great swords, GF can ONLY use long sword and shield, TR can ONLY use 2 daggers, etc. etc.?