test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What Happens When We Die?

meldrothmeldroth Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Death is an important part of MMORPGs, and needs to have tough enough consequences to make players avoid it and not use it, say, as a means of quickie transport, and yet not so stiff to cause players to ragequit or get discouraged.

Personally, I really dislike deaths that cost me too much gold, large amounts of XP, or my nice items. All that just pushes me back, and makes me not want to explore, or even play. Who wants to work down a massive XP debt in a game? Debts are for real life, not for what should be a fun diversion and/or hobby. :( On the other hand, no penalty deaths ruin some of the immersion.

I'd like to see a short character ban whenever my character dies and is not resurrected. For instance, a fifteen minute ban for dying for all characters level 10 and up. Or maybe 30 seconds of ban time for every level (a level ten player would be banned for five minutes, and a level sixty for half an hour). This would not be too discouraging, and would encourage breaks. It would be much better to just have to take a few minute break than have to get set back hours of XP. Different, laxer rules might apply for players killed in instances. They might just be dead in that instance, but still able to play another instance or in the open world.

Do we know what happens when we die in the game? What penalties (if any) would you like to see for death?
"Truth is absolute, so if you truly seek it, you can find only one answer."
Post edited by meldroth on

Comments

• Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    One sec Ill link the old thread about this
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Ok look at this before giving anymore post info please. It is the old thread.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Eeek! It's resurrected again! Nooooo!
    And this time I can't blame Truthseeker!

They really haven't released any information on what happens when we die. Feel free to read that thread but don't reply to it
    In fact I'm taking the opportunity now to lock it. Any further discussion can take place in this thread :)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Eeek! It's resurected again! Nooooo!
    And this time I can't blame Truthseeker!

They really haven't release any information on what happens when we die. Feel free to read that thread but don't reply to it
    In fact I'm taking the opportunity now to lock it. Any further discussion can take place in this thread :)

Sorry didnt mean that you should post just read, but thanks for locking it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    No worries. Besides I was happily surprised it wasn't the one I was thinking of which was just...havoc. Still older than 30 days though so I did lock it anyway.

But back on topic there's really no information given out yet except that there will be various respawn locations. No information about the death penalty has been given or what effect deaths will have on the gameplay as a whole.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    No worries. Besides I was happily surprised it wasn't the one I was thinking of which was just...havoc. ...

I think I know what you are thinking.

*An Illithid in suit is seen in background*
  • Options
    sarcon89sarcon89 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    being an older MMO player i never really hated on everquests corpse run policy just the massive exp loss without being ressed, on the flip side i didnt like UOs system where anyone could loot your corpse. In modern MMOs though those kinds of penalties could obviously sink a MMO so i am expecting it to be some sort of exp debt, gear repair cost thingy or stat debuff for X time (or combo of the previous). personally i would like to see something new and refreshing to the system like a respawn timer that can be bypassed with a simple mind puzzle. that or scale death penalties depending on what your activity was (i dont think UGC should have strict death penalties simply because people can stack high difficulty encounters).
  • Options
    giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Our characters aren't going to die, it's going to be zerg all the way to endgame, as it should be.
  • Options
    meldrothmeldroth Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Ok look at this before giving anymore post info please. It is the old thread.

Thanks for linking it.

And sorry moderators if I unintentionally opened a can of worms...

Too bad there is no information on death. :/
    "Truth is absolute, so if you truly seek it, you can find only one answer."
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    I think I know what you are thinking.

*An Illithid in suit is seen in background*

That reminds me, what happened to our favorite Illithid ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    maddmistermaddmister Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I am in favor of a death penalty. Should be like a death timer in game, die once ever 2 hrs for free (no penalty incurred) but any more than once penalties start adding up...decrease stats for xx min and x amount of xp lost for each death over the first, the more you die the bigger/longer the penalty is. Avoid the death penalty by getting rezzed, but the more times you get rezzed the longer and more your stats are decreased for x amount of time
    Devs
    Are My Masters!
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Surf, for reasons beyond my sanity, they are actively looking for you :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What Happens When We Die?

The gray rain curtain of this world folds back and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it:
    White shores. And a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Wait a minute...

Wrong IP ;)
    I'm not really a John Galt,
    but I play one on the forums...
    :P
  • Options
    chaddiwickerchaddiwicker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think WoW did this okay. Equipment damage and you have to return your spirit to your body.

My only request is that no stats be kept on how many times I die as they do in WoW. I'm a perfectionist and it just reminds me about how imperfect I am. ;)

Always did like the titles given in LoTRO, though, which you gained for not dying up to level 20.
  • Options
    neoyoshineoyoshi Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    meldroth wrote: »
    What penalties (if any) would you like to see for death?

I would really love to see the old 2nd Edition rules come back into play, where you would need a 9th level Cleric to use the Raise dead spell. :P

Which is insanity of course.

But i really don't know if a game this new should be turning death into a type of penalization rather then an experience.
  • Options
    ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
  • Options
    red0beerred0beer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What i think that can happen when you die?
    Maybe a Sickness debuff, like on DA.
    Some XP loss.
    And maybe like in CO, you will have your five stars that grant you bonus in quests, and when you die, you loose one of them and will need to buy a "Star Refil" or end a quest to regain that.

Or it's silly?
    -" I Don't worry about how history will judge me..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

After all, it will be written by the winners. And i am one. "

(Please don't mind my bad english, i'm Brazilian. :) )
  • Options
    mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Never laugh as a hearse goes by,
    For you may be the next to die.
    They wrap you up in a clean white sheet,
    and bury you 'bout 6 feet deep,
    Tucked inside a wooden box,
    Covered over with dirt and rocks.

All goes well for bout a week,
    Until your coffin begins to leak,
    Then the worms crawl in,
    The worms crawl out,
    The worms play pinochle on your snout,

They eat your eyes,
    They eat your nose,
    They eat the jelly between your toes,
    And then you turn a sickening green,
    And puss comes out like whipping cream

You scoop it up on a piece of bread,
    And that's what you eat, when you are dead!
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,366 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Much of the complex answer to this crucial question I believe lies within this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Smuij7H5Yk

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    voqarvoqar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Your body is destroyed/recycled and as your last brain cell shuts down you realize religion is a lie and all that stuff about afterlife was total BS and a waste of time?

Oh, you mean in game. I'm sure you respawn with no/minimal penalty. Why would this game be any different from other post xp-loss-sucks-donkey MMOs?
  • Options
    lordgrimmwoodlordgrimmwood Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I am realllly hoping they don't implement equipment damage.....those cost can get ridiculous! lol
    tumblr_mm7g22WQog1spm248o1_1280.png

My first Foundry mission, The Valley of Darkness NW-DG9DOTZLU
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    voqar wrote: »
    Your body is destroyed/recycled and as your last brain cell shuts down you realize ...

How can you think or realize anything after brain has shut down? The statement is illogical!
  • Options
    elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    voqar wrote: »
    Your body is destroyed/recycled and as your last brain cell shuts down you realize religion is a lie and all that stuff about afterlife was total BS and a waste of time?

Oh, you mean in game. I'm sure you respawn with no/minimal penalty. Why would this game be any different from other post xp-loss-sucks-donkey MMOs?
    <Mod Edit: LOL! Sorry though, had to remove it though as there is a strict no-RL Religion clause>

Wait ah sorry this was about the game. How about as Ghost running as in WOW and some equipment damage. That works fine for me. Other option is a very small exp penalty like 1 %.

Now I don't know where I get this bright idea, but since DD4th edition rules works like that characters do not have to choose a Forgotten Realms God. For example if character has not chosen deities that I like Tempus, Tymora, Selune, Oghma(since Mystra is dead), Corellon or any other Forgotten Realms deity are considered faithless in the game.

All faithless(no FR deity selected) player characters in the game are dragged to game hell when they die with a cool trailer that reminds of this picture:
    http://i-moc.com/drag-me-to-hell-1280x720-hd-wallpaper.html
    after that their character remains locked one month with the text: You forgot to choose Deity and as our game policy faithless characters gets locked unplayable for one month in our hell every time they die.

That would absolutely make wonders to religion motivation trust me on that! Oh I am so nice:cool:.
  • Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Perma-death or be res'd IMO. Player can take your body to a temple for a res or use a scroll on you.

Let's make it interesting!

Ok seriously, I know this would drive 99% of the possible players away but man I would love it and i don't have enough money to support the game on my own.

Yes, I was one of those types of DMs. My games were challenging but rewarding (for the characters and the players).
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    mishakal1mishakal1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited January 2013
    I am not in favor of a time-based ban as proposed by the OP. How would a guild attempt to accomplish everything if people were locked out after dying.

I still am in favor of the EQ way of dealing with death - you lose experience. In my opinion, that is the most important currency in MMORPGs because it can be equated with time. It definitely made for some interesting (and fun) times back in the early 2000's - for me at least.