test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Only Greatswords?

Comments

• melanderimelanderi Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users, Silverstars Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    A dwarf would certainly be an improvised weapon, so unless you have a feat for that (or you are inexplicably trained in throwing dwarves) you'd have to get incredibly lucky to even hit your target.

By the time you've gotten the dwarf into throwing position, your enemy might already be <5ft away, and then you'll provoke an attack of opportunity for using a ranged weapon. So not only would you probably miss, but you might die in the process!

Add to this the fact that the... inconvenienced.... dwarf will likely be protesting- loudly. If you're in a den filled with bandits, any stealth you may have had beforehand has gone out the window...

33271289.jpg
    Pixilated Community Entity
    @Effreet in game
    Terms of Service and Rules of Conduct. Learn them, Love them
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I can't find the dwarf throwing feat path screenshots anywhere......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    melanderi wrote: »

Add to this the fact that the... inconvenienced.... dwarf will likely be protesting- loudly. If you're in a den filled with bandits, any stealth you may have had beforehand has gone out the window...

Oh! You bring a very good point in discussion. I only have experience with halflings hurling weapons so am not proficient in dwarven throwing weapons.

I guess using halfling is best after all - considering gnomes are cursed weapons for intelligent creatures (while perfectly convenient for non-intelligent creatures or those who can't understand their language)...
  • ghosty2aghosty2a Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    melanderi wrote: »
    A dwarf would certainly be an improvised weapon, so unless you have a feat for that (or you are inexplicably trained in throwing dwarves) you'd have to get incredibly lucky to even hit your target.

Ehhh, if'n i'ma play me Half-Orc, I ainta gunna woery about which end of a Dwarf i grad, though fur tatical reson, see later, i'da purfur ta grab'em by da hairs uv his hayed.

By the time you've gotten the dwarf into throwing position, your enemy might already be <5ft away, and then you'll provoke an attack of opportunity for using a ranged weapon. So not only would you probably miss, but you might die in the process!

Five feet, all tha behtur.. see tactical reason.

If,n I'ma have'n ta grab one uhv mah Bubas ta swing a'roun an commence ta fite'en, then stealth has long since been gone. An all that beller'in he be make'n with'un his yap, prorb'ly wont be neer as loud, or effective, as theh sounds cumin frum theh uther end. See, we Half-Orcs an Dwarfs both share a love of the Beers, Ales an Meads, as well as things like cabbage, <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, unnyuns and maybe Dwarfs even likes ramps too. An a good swing'in 'roun by thuh haed'll jush, ummm.. speed up thuh... results. That thar there iz thuh tatical resuns fur the above ansurs.
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Oh! You bring a very good point in discussion. I only have experience with halflings hurling weapons so am not proficient in dwarven throwing weapons.

I guess using halfling is best after all - considering gnomes are cursed weapons for intelligent creatures (while perfectly convenient for non-intelligent creatures or those who can't understand their language)...
    Hmm being a Half-Orc has it advantages at times,... yeah, a Gnome'll work

Man, I realy realy realy whish they would put Half-Orcs in at launch.... sigh
  • zenzeezenzee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    You guys are terrible...
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    This thread is nothing short of glorious.

Is there an official archive? :)
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    This thread is nothing short of glorious.

Is there an official archive? :)

Agreed 100%

Thanks for the mirth and humor fella's. This is going to be a nice community I can already tell.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
    edited January 2013
    ghosty2a wrote: »
    Man, I realy realy realy whish they would put Half-Orcs in at launch.... sigh

Half orcs are a rare race as a player character in NW (as they are usually too busy with gnome juggling than go to adventure).
    Common Races of Forgotten Realms:
    Drow, Dragonborn, dwarves, eladrin, elves, Genasi, half-elves, half-lings, humans and tieflings

These are the common classes you can find in most cities in forgotten realms. They are all common. More will be explained later.

Rare races, supporting cast of forgotten realms:
    Gnomes, Goblins, Lycanthropes and Shifters, Half-Orcs and Orcs, Devas, Goliaths and Shade.
    These races are very rare in the realms and you may not encounter them in most adventuring parties.

Rest of the races like kobolds, bugbears, bladelings etc. are rarest of rare as a player character.

but they are not rarest of rare. I would think that cryptic will allow you to unlock that race by playing any common race character to high level (or let us pay to unlock it) so that they remain rare.

I hope orcs, half-orcs and goliaths are available at launch. But I think the three races in green might be implemented first for they are common to realms.

EDIT:
    In short, stop juggling that gnome and put on your adventure gear if you want to make it at launch.

EDIT 2:
    zenzee wrote: »
    You guys are terrible...

Its ok. I told the orc to put you down. there there.

Soft gnomy, warm gnomy, Svirfneblin wears no fur.
    Happy gnomy, sleepy gnomy, shut shut up!
    Little gnomy, nice gnomy, shut shut up!
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Dragonborn,genasi and eladrin at release would be excelent. We all love them.
  • draxonflydraxonfly Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Looking forward to a 2 handed axe!!
    draxonflynw1.jpg
    edited January 2013
    I'm looking forward to killin' stuff!
  • zynk0zynk0 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Am I the only one that wants Falchion?
  • kheallerkhealler Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    looking forward to spears and polearms.
  • shredstallion33shredstallion33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 66
    edited January 2013
    The only two fighter builds that I know of are guardian fighter and greatweapon fighter, but thats based on my d&d 4E for dummies.
    edited January 2013
    zynk0 wrote: »
    Am I the only one that wants Falchion?

That's not a Falchion. This is:
    9-10.jpg

And it's a weapon for the Guardian Fighter.
  • zynk0zynk0 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    9-10.jpg

LINK

In D&D that would be a Scimitar a 1 handed sword.

The Falchoin in D&D has always been a 2 handed sword.

A Greatsword does 1d10 damage.
    A Falchoin does 2d4 damage but has a higher crit then the greatsword.

D&D3.5

The falchion looks much like a big scimitar with a wide blade curved toward the tip. The blade is one-sided and heavy, weighing as much as some greatswords. The pommel, cross guard, and grip are similar to a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> sword.
  • spectralhuntspectralhunt Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    9-10.jpg

A bit of a tangent but this post reminded me of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLS3RGesIFQ
  • adamantium1adamantium1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    A Dane axe,; is that like a Bearded Axe? I'd love that. I get tired of the double bit axes so popular in fantasy. My one worry is that the class will be limited to edged weapons. I personally prefer Mauls, and huge Maces, or even a Tetsubo would be great.

google wiki dane axe has a picture. And yep i never use the double bladed axes either. Most later medieval great axes such as the sparth axe and poleaxe were influenced by the Dane Axe.
  • rickmanrickman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    A bit of a tangent but this post reminded me of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLS3RGesIFQ

..... Conversly.... I'd Like a Donk

Edit: Getting of Topic i think..... I'd Like the Option of Greathammers and Flails/Maces... Even if i don't intend to use them often myself
    Diplomancy: Sometimes "I hit it with my Axe" is the only Answer.
    A Challenge is something interesting and awkward until you beat it... then it's called "Repetative"

Neverwinter on TVTropes(Needs some loving)
    Neverwinter Nights on TVTropes
  • vuechangzvuechangz Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I do hope they implemented Spears in the game, if they do you got yourself lots of spear players XD
  • killacaseykillacasey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I want a giant log for a weapon... not some puny greatsword, that or a giant hammer :D
    Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot protect themselves.
  • morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Probably be most realistic to wield an elf...don't they have some sort of ability to be light-footed or is that just the Tolkien elf?
    edited January 2013
    morbic wrote: »
    Probably be most realistic to wield an elf...don't they have some sort of ability to be light-footed or is that just the Tolkien elf?

I have experience in wielding light-footed halflings - if that is what you mean. However aavarius(being evil and stuff) usually chases me with dwarven thrown weapon called Drunk Dwarf...
  • godofthornsgodofthorns Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have experience in wielding light-footed halflings - if that is what you mean. However aavarius(being evil and stuff) usually chases me with dwarven thrown weapon called Drunk Dwarf...

I certainly hope the Devs add new gear for this in mind:
    +3 Girdle of Dwarf-Throwing
    +2 Gauntlets of Halfling-Wielding
    +1 Boots of Gnome-Punting
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thorn
    edited January 2013

Thorn

Actually, if you can convince your DM, you "can" technically use them as 'Improvised Weapons' btw.

And if there is halfling-abuse prevention authority present in audience I wish to clarify that I totally did not wield halfling in a dungeon who got hit by sleep spell ... oops! I already confessed.

*makes a run for it*
  • adeshiradeshir Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hey!! They showed a great Weapons fighter Wielding a large 2handed axe in one of the other videos. It was a Dwarf. So look for it. With that said I am sure that wielding anything from a Scythe, to a 2handed sword, and a halfling is possibly already in the game.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What's that over there?

What, where? *asks the Person for the Ethical Treatment of Halflings or PETH as they look where I point and get sapped into unconsciousness*

Okay, resume halfling wielding!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    Ok. Now I can safely present a story I 'have not' played.

DM: So the monk of Shar uses a skill to disarm your weapon. Your weapon flies away as you were swinging and falls into the abyss. Now, what do you do?

Me: What? How can ... don't I get saves?

DM: Its a plot thing. He has developed years honing that one skill and can use it at-will very effectively.

Me: We have no mage, can I play my cleric?

DM: You can play two characters, but you left your cleric back at tavern asleep remember - he is not even aware what you are doing.

Me: ... hm... can I use a rock as a weapon? I can't face a monk with fists?

DM: You have to search for a rock which is loose from the ground.

Me: Grrr... Can I use my gauntlet? The monk can't disarm that, right?

DM: Well, as I said he has honed his skill. So if you use gauntlet as a weapon, he can easily disarm it as you are not proficient in it.

Me: Ok. I will wield the rogue.

DM: What?

Me: I can wield him right? He is a medium race - I am a strong muscular fighter. Like you know-circus. While I wield him he can do all sorts of crazy attacks and parry the monk easily to stab him. My power and his agility will stack up. Monk can't stand to that with practice.

DM: *long silence* you could have, but he is asleep. You have to wake him up. It is a magical sleep which will only break after the monk is defeated or you are dead.

Me: I can wield him as asleep halfling then. And he won't wake up and will behave just like a sword. And monk wants to recruit the rogue to Shar so he can't kill him - so he will not disarm me.

DM: *confused* *gives up* Ok. But only as an improvised weapon, with penalty as he is heavier.
  • morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    snip

Nice, I love driving DMs crazy with scenarios like that from time to time.
    edited January 2013
    +3 Girdle of Dwarf-Throwing
    +2 Gauntlets of Halfling-Wielding
    +1 Boots of Gnome-Punting

Thorn

In D&D, back in the 2e are there was magical weapon called the +3 Hammer, Dwarven Thrower. Now in the hands of anyone else than an Dwarf, it was a +2 weapon. But in the hands of a Dwarf it was +3 to hit and you could throw it for it's normal damage + 3.

In an April Fools magazine, there was a list of slightly altered magical items. One of which was a +3Dwarven Thrower (along with a Robe of Blending, which has four settings. Mix, blend, whip and puree. We lost an Elf Wizard to that.) As you'll note it's not quite the same grammar. And in the hands of anyone else it was a simple +2 Hammer. In the hands of a Dwarf, however, it would pick him up and throw HIM for +3 to hit and damage. The Dwarf would take half damage, the target full damage.