test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Things that "may" be lacking at launch

stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So there is "speculation" going on with some "friends" about what we will be seeing in beta and "fears" that some basic things are being left out.

Things like Ambient music during game play especially in Dungeons and some wonky animations not being addressed like the control wizards resting animation and lack of any DM flavor text in game, and finally oversized (cryptic has long had major issues with rooms and objects just being too big) switches and levers that all look the same.

It's been my experience, that if you don't have small polish things like this by beta...you're just not going to be getting them ever, I personally really hope that these "fears" are inaccurate and that we are getting an experience that actually feels like D&D and not a "Third Person Diablo with no immersive qualities"

That would be a true shame and possibly a game killer.
Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
Post edited by stormdrag0n on

Comments

• xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have the same feeling about a lot of those little details. They really make a game pop. One thing I think that is very underrated in importance, is ambient music and sounds. The background audio has a huge effect on people. It's amazing how few people realise how much that ambient sound really influences them.

I'm really afraid the foundry wont allow me to play with the audio as much as I'd like to.
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    xearrik wrote: »
    I have the same feeling about a lot of those little details. They really make a game pop. One thing I think that is very underrated in importance, is ambient music and sounds. The background audio has a huge effect on people. It's amazing how few people realise how much that ambient sound really influences them.

I'm really afraid the foundry wont allow me to play with the audio as much as I'd like to.

I agree and I'm really afraid that we may get a bit of that in the character creator and then have a mostly quiet game...considering the guy the got to do the music was only at it for a couple days.

Pity.

Devs have listened too much to the folks that say "I always turn the music off anyway" and figure it's a wasted expense.
  • runamonkrunamonk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    One of the first things I turn off is music. I just hate it, for me it totally ruins the immersion. Lots of ambient sounds are awesome though, hearing water dripping in the distance can be quite creepy.
    edited January 2013
    runamonk wrote: »
    One of the first things I turn off is music. I just hate it, for me it totally ruins the immersion. Lots of ambient sounds are awesome though, hearing water dripping in the distance can be quite creepy.

And... I rest my case :rolleyes:
  • readymealreadymeal Member Posts: 57
    edited January 2013
    So there is "speculation" going on with some "friends" about what we will be seeing in beta and "fears" that some basic things are being left out.

Things like Ambient music during game play especially in Dungeons and some wonky animations not being addressed like the control wizards resting animation and lack of any DM flavor text in game, and finally oversized (cryptic has long had major issues with rooms and objects just being too big) switches and levers that all look the same.

It's been my experience, that if you don't have small polish things like this by beta...you're just not going to be getting them ever, I personally really hope that these "fears" are inaccurate and that we are getting an experience that actually feels like D&D and not a "Third Person Diablo with no immersive qualities"

That would be a true shame and possibly a game killer.

well yes, things are going to be missing at launch their rational will most likely be it s a MMO so it s in perpetual development.

Ambient music... most likely very limited. A friend of mine created a website broadcasting Sci-Fi music to use in the back ground when playing STO. Maybe someone can do the same for NWO?

i don t think the wizard martial art resting position is going to go....but who knows? cryptic has a new owner now. Everything is different...:rolleyes:

DM text in game? no sure what you refer to? i don t believe there s going to be any DM in game. just cryptic GM.

Over-sizing has been a major issue in STO, wanna fit 50+ people on your bridge or a corridor inside ships/caves/buildings looking like main streets in your city...no worries... there are very few exceptions where some location are more proportionate. it is then possible to make them smaller but then we ve been told of restricting camera movements and it might take more time to adjust and create small places than big open ones...and as we know time is... But you right i was surprised and never understood the huge flick switch in some of the video..

I have to agree with you oversizing and a lack of background music/sound can be detrimental to the immersion but we are talking about a free game here...can t have it all ;)
  • crashodditycrashoddity Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Is it just me, or is this whole post rather silly? You're giving life to rumors you heard from testers who are leaking information from an unfinished alpha product.

I love music in MMOs too, and every Cryptic game has music. NW seems to be higher budget than previous Cryptic titles, so I find it hard to believe it will lack an epic soundtrack. From the videos, the environments do look large, but I actually like the epicness of it all. It doesn't work in STO, but I think it will for NW. Whoever your sources are should be reminded that the game isn't even in beta yet.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Is it just me, or is this whole post rather silly? You're giving life to rumors you heard from testers who are leaking information from an unfinished alpha product.

I love music in MMOs too, and every Cryptic game has music. ...

Kind of my sentiments exactly, but one more - cutscenes/music is generally added in finished product - sometimes even after beta.
    edited January 2013
    readymeal wrote: »
    DM text in game? no sure what you refer to? i don t believe there s going to be any DM in game. just cryptic GM.

Might want to give DDo a try...to see what I'm referring to...it's one of the very few things they got right in that game.
  • meldrothmeldroth Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Of course things look odd now. It's not even beta yet, and judging by the amount of time they are spending in Pre-Alpha, and Alpha, Open Beta (or even Closed Beta) will have most of it ironed out.
    "Truth is absolute, so if you truly seek it, you can find only one answer."
  • meldrothmeldroth Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    xearrik wrote: »

I read that audio will be included in the Foundry. They want you to have the ability to create dev quality content. :)
    "Truth is absolute, so if you truly seek it, you can find only one answer."
    edited January 2013
    meldroth wrote: »
    I read that audio will be included in the Foundry. They want you to have the ability to create dev quality content. :)

Yes audio will be there ofcourse, just no custom audio. And make it dev+ content :)
    edited January 2013
    All we can do is see...it's just concerning is all. I hope they don't wipe these forums before launch, it would be nice to come back and see what concerns were founded and what weren't.
  • nohaaanohaaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 35
    edited January 2013

I love music in MMOs too, and every Cryptic game has music. NW seems to be higher budget than previous Cryptic titles, so I find it hard to believe it will lack an epic soundtrack. From the videos, the environments do look large, but I actually like the epicness of it all. It doesn't work in STO, but I think it will for NW. Whoever your sources are should be reminded that the game isn't even in beta yet.

Not really actually. I haven't played the game but i do know that the last 2-3 early beta's i was in and had that exact same mindset, it turned out that absolutely 0.0% had been changed later on. I'd 10000000% rather have people complain about something now that they hopefully will change in Beta or Live and still have time for, then nothing being said about it and making the live game.

Soooo many games fail these days because of stuff that could have been prevented if a. Devs would have listened to people complaining about it (no matter how many) b. Let more people in, IN TIME, so that there is adequate time to complain about it!

That being said; i really do hope this will be a gem among gems among gems but im keeping it "real" this time around. Last few times i was super excited for something (MMORPGS only) it turned out less than I and the community had hoped for.

High standards? Maybe. An super interesting IP/best previous single-player games ever/awesome looking game so far (except for some animations) but having a big chance to let a lot of people down? Triple check.

Time will tell.
  • pherephattapherephatta Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Personally, my interest in this game is the Foundry. I am very sure that even if the dev created content is terrible, bland, boring or worse, the community will produce many gems.

People are STILL producing top notch modules for the original neverwinter nights game. All I need is a good looking character (and there's no denying Cryptic does character generation very, very well) and the Foundry to enjoy this game.
    edited January 2013
    Personally, my interest in this game is the Foundry. I am very sure that even if the dev created content is terrible, bland, boring or worse, the community will produce many gems.

People are STILL producing top notch modules for the original neverwinter nights game. All I need is a good looking character (and there's no denying Cryptic does character generation very, very well) and the Foundry to enjoy this game.

Right but here is the thing gamers miss time after time.

They say well this is my interest...yet they never consider that what is of no interest to them is a key polish feature to many other gamers. Even Craig said the number of Foundry Authors would be small, so if Dev content is bland boring horrible unpolished ....kiss this game goodbye.

That is a fact
    edited January 2013
    nohaaa wrote: »
    Not really actually. I haven't played the game but i do know that the last 2-3 early beta's i was in and had that exact same mindset, it turned out that absolutely 0.0% had been changed later on. I'd 10000000% rather have people complain about something now that they hopefully will change in Beta or Live and still have time for, then nothing being said about it and making the live game.

Soooo many games fail these days because of stuff that could have been prevented if a. Devs would have listened to people complaining about it (no matter how many) b. Let more people in, IN TIME, so that there is adequate time to complain about it!

That being said; i really do hope this will be a gem among gems among gems but im keeping it "real" this time around. Last few times i was super excited for something (MMORPGS only) it turned out less than I and the community had hoped for.

High standards? Maybe. An super interesting IP/best previous single-player games ever/awesome looking game so far (except for some animations) but having a big chance to let a lot of people down? Triple check.

Time will tell.

Right the text book example of this is SWTOR, that game died by a thousand paper-cuts...the game was too quiet ( as in no epic star wars music and no ambient music) simple alpha bugs were never addressed, nothing was there to make the game immersive.

The crying shame throughout all of it was the devs were so surprised that people actually cared about this stuff...they even said as much to those they invited (at great expense to themselves) to their much ballyhooed guild summit... and if you go back and watch those videos you can see people in the audience shaking their heads in disgust when they realized this supposed dream team of developers couldn't even grasp simple concepts like epic music during a fight scene or the right ambient music/sounds in a dungeon or the fact that yes it matters that Kiras lightsaber is still on when she has clipped it to her belt.

The small immersive things are just as important as the big things...cryptic misses this they should have just re-skinned CO 1.0 and released it eight months ago.
    edited January 2013

They say well this is my interest...yet they never consider that what is of no interest to them is a key polish feature to many other gamers. Even Craig said the number of Foundry Authors would be small, so if Dev content is bland boring horrible unpolished ....kiss this game goodbye.

That is a fact

Did I say anywhere that I think this way, so everyone else must as well? I was simply stating my opinion. I don't care if the dev content is bland or boring. None of the people I'm bringing to this game care either - we're all in it for the Foundry.

If the dev content is that important to you, I'll hope for you that it's what you want. But for me, it's no where near a game killer. Heck, I still haven't finished the campaign stories for NWN 1 or 2. I just don't care what comes with the game so long as the construction set is good.

I guess I should have answered the OT with what I'm worried about: a lackluster Foundry. If the Foundry sucks I won't be playing this game. But I checked out the Foundry in STO, which is awesome, so I'm not all that concerned. As long as I look good, can tell good stories, and play stories written by other players, I'll be sticking with this game for years. The devs can release a campaign that is nothing but white walls and I'm happy so long as my two criteria are met. :)
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    It might take a while to get some truly great UGC out, though. Unless you are in beta and know the intricacies of each class, it'll be hard to implement the skills used (whether passive or active) through anything other than fetchquests. That's why I'll be spending a lot of time getting to know each class and what it can do, such as rogue's find secret doors or wizard's detect magic, all they way through to their highest level skills. Until I'm familiar with the subtleties for them, I can't make the most of the foundry, in my opinion, because I'll definitely be having some adventures tailored to suit some classes in some circumstances. Of course, I'm not for exclusion of classes, but I just want players to feel like they're needed when others are lost.
    edited January 2013
    Did I say anywhere that I think this way, so everyone else must as well? I was simply stating my opinion. I don't care if the dev content is bland or boring. None of the people I'm bringing to this game care either - we're all in it for the Foundry.

If the dev content is that important to you, I'll hope for you that it's what you want. But for me, it's no where near a game killer. Heck, I still haven't finished the campaign stories for NWN 1 or 2. I just don't care what comes with the game so long as the construction set is good.

I guess I should have answered the OT with what I'm worried about: a lackluster Foundry. If the Foundry sucks I won't be playing this game. But I checked out the Foundry in STO, which is awesome, so I'm not all that concerned. As long as I look good, can tell good stories, and play stories written by other players, I'll be sticking with this game for years. The devs can release a campaign that is nothing but white walls and I'm happy so long as my two criteria are met. :)

I guess I should clarify...I wasn't saying you were..it's just how you started your topic made me think of that, and Dev content isn't that important to me personally as I spent most of my time in Neverwinter Nights building a persistent world...but it is very very important to some folks.

Hope that clears things up.
    edited January 2013
    Personally, my interest in this game is the Foundry. I am very sure that even if the dev created content is terrible, bland, boring or worse, ....

I kind of believe in dorkness of devs. I think their content would be fun innovative with strong storyline.
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    I kind of believe in dorkness of devs. I think their content would be fun innovative with strong story line.

See I agree with this...way back when Jupiter Broadcasting did one of their first video interviews with Craig I noticed a lot of 4th edition D&D manuals in the bookcase, I know that Jack is a huge Warhammer 40k player and comic collector and Andy said he's been playing D&D for quite awhile (even though I probably have socks older than he is) in short I think the team is capable...my worry is, them getting this wrong minded notion that immersive assets (music ambient sounds etc) bug polishing and attention to detail just isn't worth perusing. Bioware made a 300 million dollar mistake by not thinking it was important....just hope Cryptic doesn't follow suit.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Hmmm...

Have I not been saying it's dangerous to let people know what hasn't been worked on yet?
    Simply looking at the claims, true or not, this is a prime example of why game companies can't discuss much of the development stage.

For the record though applying audio to the game is the one of the last steps. You must have the mechanics perfectly done before game developers can put true focus into the game's audio.
    Some generic things will always be worked on simultaneously such as attacks by even those basic audio effects are subject to improvements with one final polish after development is considered complete.

To put this simply...if you animate an explosion for a movie the sound effects are applied after the explosion. Audio has to be timed to the visual effects and it's almost unheard of to time visuals to an audio effect.
    edited January 2013
    Hmmm...

Have I not been saying it's dangerous to let people know what hasn't been worked on yet?
    Simply looking at the claims, true or not, this is a prime example of why game companies can't discuss much of the development stage.

For the record though applying audio to the game is the one of the last steps. You must have the mechanics perfectly done before game developers can put true focus into the game's audio.
    Some generic things will always be worked on simultaneously such as attacks by even those basic audio effects are subject to improvements with one final polish after development is considered complete.

To put this simply...if you animate an explosion for a movie the sound effects are applied after the explosion. Audio has to be timed to the visual effects and it's almost unheard of to time visuals to an audio effect.

No guy...I really get your point, but by the same token the last four MMO's I tested if it wasn't in by late Alpha it didn't make it in...and that seems to be a scary precedent as of late, and please don't mistake the concern for the sky is falling .
    edited January 2013
    I guess I should clarify...I wasn't saying you were..it's just how you started your topic made me think of that, and Dev content isn't that important to me personally as I spent most of my time in Neverwinter Nights building a persistent world...but it is very very important to some folks.

Hope that clears things up.

Yeah, I got that.

I'm just familiar with being told that what I want isn't important, and so try to be very careful with stating my personal preferences and opinions as just that rather than as facts. :)

It's very, very, very important to me that my character looks awesome. If my character looks like <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, it doesn't matter how awesome the game is, I just won't play it. The first thing I do in any single player game is figure out how to change my character's appearance, and in any MMO i play, I literally spend hours playing with the appearance. I've been known to delete high level characters just because one day it bugs me how they look.

EQ2 made me swoon with happiness when my pre-order got me the character creation tools so I could play around and save various appearances. I wish more games would do that.

But I get told all the time that character appearance doesn't matter at all, and I should stop whining about it and focus on "real" issues whenever I say the characters look ugly in a game. So I totally understand how important some things can be to people, even if they don't matter to me.

But I am hoping for a huge, thriving, sprawling, active, wonderful adventure creating community in Neverwinter. That is my dream, and that is what will keep me playing this game for the next decade. That's my biggest worry: that the Foundry will be awful, or so buried in cash shop necessities that it can't possibly thrive, or it'll be too difficult to get into, or it won't allow the customization we've been led to believe will be there, or any number of other horrible fates.
    It might take a while to get some truly great UGC out, though. Unless you are in beta and know the intricacies of each class, it'll be hard to implement the skills used (whether passive or active) through anything other than fetchquests. That's why I'll be spending a lot of time getting to know each class and what it can do, such as rogue's find secret doors or wizard's detect magic, all they way through to their highest level skills. Until I'm familiar with the subtleties for them, I can't make the most of the foundry, in my opinion, because I'll definitely be having some adventures tailored to suit some classes in some circumstances. Of course, I'm not for exclusion of classes, but I just want players to feel like they're needed when others are lost.

I swear I read somewhere that the modules created during the beta will remain around at launch. But I can't remember where. Maybe I just fantasized that because I spend all my time drooling over the Foundry. :)
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

That is a fact

Link please? You likely are confusing the number of QUALITY foundry content authors are small, and until it is shown otherwise, I will treat default, as speculated.

Hmmm...

No guy...I really get your point, but by the same token the last four MMO's I tested if it wasn't in by late Alpha it didn't make it in...and that seems to be a scary precedent as of late, and please don't mistake the concern for the sky is falling .

From Sprials and also from the audio Dev

I would love to to detail the music heard so far, but cannot...

Things like this are typically added after development for the game appearance.

Same with VO.

Yeah, I got that.

I'm just familiar with being told that what I want isn't important, and so try to be very careful with stating my personal preferences and opinions as just that rather than as facts. :)

It's very, very, very important to me that my character looks awesome. If my character looks like <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, it doesn't matter how awesome the game is, I just won't play it. The first thing I do in any single player game is figure out how to change my character's appearance, and in any MMO i play, I literally spend hours playing with the appearance. I've been known to delete high level characters just because one day it bugs me how they look.

EQ2 made me swoon with happiness when my pre-order got me the character creation tools so I could play around and save various appearances. I wish more games would do that.

But I get told all the time that character appearance doesn't matter at all, and I should stop whining about it and focus on "real" issues whenever I say the characters look ugly in a game. So I totally understand how important some things can be to people, even if they don't matter to me.

But I am hoping for a huge, thriving, sprawling, active, wonderful adventure creating community in Neverwinter. That is my dream, and that is what will keep me playing this game for the next decade. That's my biggest worry: that the Foundry will be awful, or so buried in cash shop necessities that it can't possibly thrive, or it'll be too difficult to get into, or it won't allow the customization we've been led to believe will be there, or any number of other horrible fates.

I swear I read somewhere that the modules created during the beta will remain around at launch. But I can't remember where. Maybe I just fantasized that because I spend all my time drooling over the Foundry. :)

You mean this:

Will it be possible to get hold of the Foundry and start working on projects before the game's official release? If so, will my missions be "wiped" on official Release?

The chances for working on the Foundry will be the same for any chances of getting into a beta stage, but other people focusing on the Foundry or "authoring" will be considered for this component of the game and separate beta stages will be done for Foundry testing as well. Like the Beta question in section I, some people may be asked to participate outside of Public Beta, but no more information can be mentioned here.

Updated 9/05/2012: At the time of this FAQ's last update, content created will stay post launch (but remember, testing could wipe content before final launch.)

To quote Mapolis:

Originally Posted by rujind
    5.) Will it be possible to get ahold of the Foundry and start working on our projects before release?
    Yes.
    Originally Posted by rujind
    6.) Will the Foundry be available in beta and will published content carry over to release?
    Yes.

We intend to have a long, multi-stage beta process that will test many aspects of the game. Cryptic has always valued player input, and PWE has given us the time and resources to execute the beta cycle we've always wanted to do. I should also note that the Foundry will have a similar, but somewhat separate beta cycle.

It's certainly not going to be a last-minute marketing-only beta.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    Link please? You likely are confusing the number of QUALITY foundry content authors are small, and until it is shown otherwise, I will treat default, as speculated.

:

But aren't you playing antics with semantics? A few gems in a sea of utter <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>....what's the diff?
  • neoyoshineoyoshi Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    and lack of any DM flavor text in game,

Actually i would love if we could get voiced DM narrations similar to what they did in DDO.

But that's asking a lot probably, considering DDO was originally pay-to-play.
    edited January 2013
    neoyoshi wrote: »

Actually i would love if we could get voiced DM narrations similar to what they did in DDO.

Yeah I agree and feel the game is going to be sorely lacking without them...at the very least they should have them in the Dungeon delves.
    edited January 2013
    You mean this:

Yes, yes that's it!

I so can't wait to get my greedy hands on the foundry... :cool:
    edited January 2013
    neoyoshi wrote: »

I think this has already been cleared that there are voiced DM narrations - however the artists are none we would recognize.