test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Everything back to normal

gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Neverwinter Discussion (31 Viewing)
A place to discuss all things related to Neverwinter.

Now the stampede is gone and everything is back to normal, what are your thoughts about this 'accidental' marketing ploy? Was it successful?

One thing is clear though, there are a lot of people out there who want to try its alpha as soon as possible.
Post edited by gillrmn on

Comments

• vinsinarvinsinar Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Will I don't think it was 'accidental' I think it was successful. Anytime you can get people to come to your site and/or talk about your game without spending money is big.
  • mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Now the stampede is gone and everything is back to normal, what are your thoughts about this 'accidental' marketing ploy? Was it successful?

One thing is clear though, there are a lot of people out there who want to try its alpha as soon as possible.

Well it did drive people here to check things out so that's good. Also there's a slight increase in viewers so there are
    people interested that are returning, mostly at night. So I believe it's done good even though I didn't like the odds of getting a key as most here I'm sure, but that's besides the point.
  • mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    One thing to take from it, is that the forums survived the masses of players hitting it. While it is still a small sample size of what we can expect upon launch, it is a good thing none the less.
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    A few people always stay after a hype :)

In the college forum someone mentioned in a single post, he waits for Neverwinter Online to be released without link or anything. This was the first time I heard of it, now I tasted blood and will keep an eye on it as well.
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    It certainly raised awareness of the game and brought a lot of people to the forums (unwillingly, most likely, though). I bet a huge population is going to be butthurt for a while that they "wasted their time going to the forums", so unless they follow up quickly with another contest or giveaway the team might have some bad karma to deal with. With so many people registered here now, this would be the worst time to have another information drought, that's for sure!

Also, I think most of the people are just impatient and want to play the game, not actually help with the testing. I think their plan may have backfired in that regard. Keeping up the momentum is only going to attract more people who just want a piece of the pie, and may actually work against them. This is one of the reasons I was very much for having testers that were dedicated to the game beforehand, such as forum-goers. But you never know, the feedback from such a huge variety of people could be for the best, too.

Still, unless I'm openly given a beta key, I'll still be here waiting until open beta or release............
  • cosmictimbercosmictimber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well, marketing in my mind is an attempt to draw interest and awareness to your product/brand. So, I'd say with the big spike of traffic on the forums... it worked. Not that I hope the contest was rigged, but I do hope that some of the folks that have been here since day one, got a key. It's great to see people excited about the game, and hopefully that continues to grow. I just equally hope that the mainstays get taken care of a bit, since they tend to be the staunchest supporters, and the ones that won't abandon the game after the next big f2p comes along.

Hopefully beta comes soon, and we all get some love.
  • mnaticmnatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Alot of but hurt was generated let alone marketing awareness.

I do think it was sucsessful, i mean its pretty obvious considering the numbers we had.
    Also, I think most of the people are just impatient and want to play the game, not actually help with the testing. I think their plan may have backfired in that regard. Keeping up the momentum is only going to attract more people who just want a piece of the pie, and may actually work against them. This is one of the reasons I was very much for having testers that were dedicated to the game beforehand, such as forum-goers. But you never know, the feedback from such a huge variety of people could be for the best, too.

i totally agree with all of this. I mean how much can you really trust the people that just came due to a give away. The people that we here before and the people that stay around after they are your true fans and deserve recognition in the form of a cough *beta
    key cough* sorry i mean HUG.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    And I just have to ask...... were there REALLY thousands of people trying to get a key? How many of those do you think might've been dummy accounts just to get picked? How many of those posters said "Join Date: Jan 2013"? Something to consider for the next contest.
  • jez777jez777 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    vinsinar wrote: »
    Anytime you can get people to come to your site and/or talk about your game without spending money is big.
    I'm sure the pcgamer spread cost some money.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I really wouldn't call it butt hurt (yet another term people blindly attach to everything) just the continuation of a frustrated community over the worst marketing team that I have ever seen or heard tell of; but don't mistake most rational people know that Marketing is it's own entity and speaking as someone who has worked with the industry I can tell you they have way more power then they need or deserve which is mainly due to their position with the financial resources of the developer.
    jez777 wrote: »

Not necessarily often times the groundwork for these interviews are established at PAX or E-3 they schedule hands on time and move from there bringing in upcoming game issues moves units and games in development usually has four or five Free e-sites sniffing around that is competition for the paid magazines so it doesn't make much sense to try and charge them.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
    edited January 2013
    jez777 wrote: »

This was a marketing success, in my opinion.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    zagemogga wrote: »
    A few people always stay after a hype :)...

Yes, the strength is double.

Usually it was 16. Now it is near 32.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    And I just have to ask...... were there REALLY thousands of people trying to get a key? How many of those do you think might've been dummy accounts just to get picked? How many of those posters said "Join Date: Jan 2013"? Something to consider for the next contest.

There were around 500+ people at a single time. That is still quite high than ever. And that means at least 500+accounts - which in practicality must be at least 2000+ (considering two days of such rush)
  • pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I really wouldn't call it butt hurt (yet another term people blindly attach to everything) just the continuation of a frustrated community over the worst marketing team that I have ever seen or heard tell of

I was pretty Butt hurt and got over it pretty quickly but not without ranting about things for a bit.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    pboar2006 wrote: »
    I was pretty Butt hurt and got over it pretty quickly but not without ranting about things for a bit.

Yeah but those of us that have been hanging around here for a few years...were sorta use to it.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Yeah but those of us that have been hanging around here for a few years...were sorta use to it.

Your right I am used to it, but that doesnt mean im not going to be butt hurt sometimes
  • ironykxironykx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    All I can say is the more, the merryer!
    Every hamster has his day!
  • tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    New to the forum not new to waiting for this game. I think the contest was a success in that it showed that there is still a strong interest in this game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • maddmistermaddmister Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yes I am sure it was a success also. You figure you had probably 3-4 thousand new users that signed up for this contest and probably about 95% will never come back, they did it just for the key give a way. The 5% that will stay turns into 200 new active users for the sight......success IMO
    Devs
    Are My Masters!
  • vinsinarvinsinar Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I really wouldn't call it butt hurt (yet another term people blindly attach to everything) just the continuation of a frustrated community over the worst marketing team that I have ever seen or heard tell of; but don't mistake most rational people know that Marketing is it's own entity and speaking as someone who has worked with the industry I can tell you they have way more power then they need or deserve which is mainly due to their position with the financial resources of the developer.

Not necessarily often times the groundwork for these interviews are established at PAX or E-3 they schedule hands on time and move from there bringing in upcoming game issues moves units and games in development usually has four or five Free e-sites sniffing around that is competition for the paid magazines so it doesn't make much sense to try and charge them.

I'm not frustrated at all and I've been following this game prior to it becoming an MMO.
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »

Everyone and their brother and sister and cousin will try to get in on a testing of an MMO in development even if they are just remotely interested and a sizable portion probably really have no ideal what said MMO is about only that they can test it. I've done several Betas of games which I never purchased or played on or after launch.

Word spreads fast, I actually found out from MMORPG.com about the Alpha giveaway, missed the sticky when I routinely visit these forums which is a testament to the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> poor marketing for their dedicated followers. They should have sent an e-mail out to inform their registered users about the giveaway.
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I just wish it had gone the way one person mentioned(and this was on of those who made an account for the keys I believe) They said that they though everyone of the longtime forum member should get Alpha, but the should also have a giveaway for people who havnt been here as long, for the facebook crowd.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    And I just have to ask...... were there REALLY thousands of people trying to get a key?

I hate you for doing that. And I hate you for giving that idea to people to stupid to think of it them self's.

I thought of it as well. But I've always been to proud to cheat in anything. I guess I'm a bit to full of my self to be able to cheat maybe lol.
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    Considering there's 30,000 people following the Neverwinter Facebook page I don't think it's unreasonable to assume 3,000 of them came here to try to participate in the alpha key contest.
  • xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    Considering there's 30,000 people following the Neverwinter Facebook page I don't think it's unreasonable to assume 3,000 of them came here to try to participate in the alpha key contest.

Agreed ^^ and this is what I hope happened. Down with cheating.
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
  • zuiquannzuiquann Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/perfectworld.com

Considering the page views( Perfectworld.com in general) went up 39% in the last 7 days i'd say it was successful

Can't seem to pull the stats for http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com
  • wodny1988wodny1988 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    http://youtu.be/htobTBlCvUU

Theme song of this topic. :D
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Responses in green.
    I really wouldn't call it butt hurt (yet another term people blindly attach to everything) just the continuation of a frustrated community over the worst marketing team that I have ever seen or heard tell of;

Even worse than Daikatana?

(ooh, twice in one day I got to use the reference!)

but don't mistake most rational people know that Marketing is it's own entity and speaking as someone who has worked with the industry I can tell you they have way more power then they need or deserve which is mainly due to their position with the financial resources of the developer.

This is about right in general for gaming companies. For obvious reasons, even if I had it, I'm not disclosing the company's specific marketing strategy here.
    ranncore wrote: »
    xearrik wrote: »
    Agreed ^^ and this is what I hope happened. Down with cheating.

Yeah that's what 99.99% % likely happened. Because...

There are ways to track accounts and how they are linked, again not detailing here. That coupled with the amazingly dumb things people do when violating the rules means a VERY serious legitimate several accounts were awarded. (Assuming they don't go and do some NDA breach,) I hope they enjoy it for the rest of the detailed Alpha!

And wait, we were NORMAL to begin with?!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • valas625valas625 Member Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    So, I'm kind of glad my son kept me busy. I didn't get a chance to get on till today, and find out the forum deal was fake? Very clever PW, very clever. Fool me once, congrats! Try it again and your homes will burn.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Not fake, just secret winners so we don't have the NDA disclosures...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]