test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Who gets the keys.

xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
The alpha key give away showed us how people are still looking forward to Neverwinter. But I have to say I'd like to see a bit of fairness when it comes to the give away. Join date and activity should have a lot to with who gets a key. People such as Andre should be guaranteed a key. And anybody with a join date of January 2013 should be thrown to the bottom of the list.

It will be interesting to see how many January 2013 members read and post in this thread ^^
Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
Post edited by xearrik on

Comments

• pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Elistist mentality should have NOTHING to do with who gets selected for Alpha keys
  • tinypyrotinypyro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    xearrik wrote: »
    The alpha key give away showed us how people are still looking forward to Neverwinter. But I have to say I'd like to see a bit of fairness when it comes to the give away. Join date and activity should have a lot to with who gets a key. People such as Andre should be guaranteed a key. And anybody with a join date of January 2013 should be thrown to the bottom of the list.

It will be interesting to see how many January 2013 members read and post in this thread ^^

There is some merit to that. Many of us have been here for a very long time through thick and thin and may feel slighted if our longtime loyalty didn't get rewarded. However, We must allow a fair shake of the dice to new comers as well. For a very long time many of us (myself included) have griped about bad marketing. We wished for a more active community. What this has done is launched the hype train onto the tracks at breakneck speed. This forum is 100x more active than I have ever seen it since may of 2012 when I joined it. We wanted better marketing. We just got it. We wanted more people. We just got them. We wanted a concrete sign that the game is truly close to complete. Here we are.

And I'm just happy we are here finally :)
  • xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    pboar2006 wrote: »
    Elistist mentality should have NOTHING to do with who gets selected for Alpha keys

Do you mean "Elitist". And if you do. Then being a member of the community doesn't make you an "Elitist". Since everybody has had the ability to join and post for years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ruikesan85ruikesan85 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I will say that my join date is incorrect, i had signed up for news and updates and the random beta LONG before I posted on the forum which somehow changed the community "Join date" to my first forum post. I don't think join date would be fair, but I would like to see it give slightly better odds if you've played the other games or spent money in the store, or best option which would probably be impossible at the current state, get the people who have DnD Insider subscriptions in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ruikesan85 wrote: »
    I will say that my join date is incorrect, i had signed up for news and updates and the random beta LONG before I posted on the forum which somehow changed the community "Join date" to my first forum post. I don't think join date would be fair, but I would like to see it give slightly better odds if you've played the other games or spent money in the store, or best option which would probably be impossible at the current state, get the people who have DnD Insider subscriptions in.

I have also been checking in on this game for almost more then a year before my join date. But that doesn't mean I was part of the community. I was more of a silent observer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • yinyyiny Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So I think the people who've been active in the community already should have preference for Alpha access but not for this particular giveaway. The purpose of giveaways like this is to get some excitement I think. Get more likes on the Facebook page, get friends to share with their friends about the Alpha keys and drum up more interest. That becomes a turn off if you then say, welcome now sit down and be quiet we were here first.

That being said, I think the people who've been here should already be in Alpha so I agree with both sides :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Currently: Lilyth Lightlorn@dreasimy of Hammerfist Clan.
    Formerly Neverwinterly Known As: Allsfaire of KORT ITB Lilyth Tr1sta of House Fey-Branche Sednablood of BDA NWT Cyane
    edited January 2013
    yiny wrote: »
    So I think the people who've been active in the community already should have preference for Alpha access but not for this particular giveaway. The purpose of giveaways like this is to get some excitement I think. Get more likes on the Facebook page, get friends to share with their friends about the Alpha keys and drum up more interest. That becomes a turn off if you then say, welcome now sit down and be quiet we were here first.

That being said, I think the people who've been here should already be in Alpha so I agree with both sides :D

Good point. This is what made me want to throw up a pole. I was a sort of on the fence. But I was leaning towards a priority give away. That's why I put up the third option. I really wanted to see how people felt. So I made all middle men/women have to call me a poo head if they couldn't make up their minds :D.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • radnomadradnomad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I want to know who is going to read through 2k+ posts and decide. lol
    edited January 2013
    radnomad wrote: »
    I thought about that as well. It instantly made me feel like I was going to miss out, and the winners would be chosen among the first dozen or so pages.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013

Really join date is irrelevent. One does not need to register to follow Neverwinter and really some of the best and brightest players are those that don't make themselves known.

As for contribution... who has ever contributed to the game or community? Answer is none. Being loud and vocal does not equate contribution. For instance one of the most vocal ones here has contributed zero and endlessly posts worthless "polls" or how on day one started preaching to Cryptic that they need to follow DDO's path which lead to very heated debates.

As for who should get the alpha keys? QUALITY testers not some knucklehead that just posted on the thread which is 99.99999% of the posters. Quality and well recognized testers should be given keys. For example well known NWN2/NWN/Skyrim/DA ect ect modders, people who have tested other MMOs (like GW2, SWTOR, Rift, TSW, ect ect) which typically have an extensive network. People here are not the quality testers you want and who couldn't do a subjective testing if it hit em across the face. Beta is a different story and should be open to all really.

Somehow I get the feeling that this is more of a glorified beta than an actual Alpha which the real Alpha is already done and gone, from the vids and demos they are pretty much on par to what GW2 was at (no quality but stage of development) when they went to the beta phase.

Maybe alphas are not as much as I think they are and the testing I'm thinking of is more of development in house and alphas are just an initial beta.
  • mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Join date and activity should have a lot to with who gets a key. People such as Andre should be guaranteed a key. And anybody with a join date of January 2013 should be thrown to the bottom of the list.

I almost bet anything Aandre has access, but if he didn't I'd say he'd be one that deserves it. But yes, I think there should be a fair contest or such for the long time forum members.
  • health002health002 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I thought about that as well. It instantly made me feel like I was going to miss out, and the winners would be chosen among the first dozen or so pages.

am pretty sure just by the way they did this ,that the beta emails start tomorrow.think about it :) its a pitching technique
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    yiny wrote: »

Yes,that should be the fourth answer on the poll
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • olddogolddog Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Just so you know this is PWE my join date is like 6 years ago.

Oh but now I see it list's your first post on this forum as join date. Well done guys well done.
    edited January 2013

I disagree with almost everything you said lol. Except for your comment about about a glorified beta. I was thinking the same thing. I've been an Alpha tester on 3 games, and this is the first time I've ever seen Alpha invites thrown out like this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    radnomad wrote: »

That's why I think it's going to be random. They will probably use a program to enter the names of everyone who entered and use either the same or another program to randomly pick people from the list. I wouldn't be surprised if the question was supposed to be something to make people post something other than a generic "ooh ooh pick me pick me!".
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    tharkan wrote: »
    That's why I think it's going to be random. They will probably use a program to enter the names of everyone who entered and use either the same or another program to randomly pick people from the list. I wouldn't be surprised if the question was supposed to be something to make people post something other than a generic "ooh ooh pick me pick me!".

I think they pick to balance the giveaway out, like if those initially chosed for keys and there is an overabundance of X class then they'll repick some of those of X class that has fewer and disproportionate to the others. The problem is though that since when does one stick with their initial class? People will bounce around between classes. Or maybe it's a trick to find the foundry users.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    I haven't asked Pin directly but I'm pretty sure it's going to be a random draw. If the random post answered the question then they will get a PM to discuss how to obtain access to the Alpha Tests.

As for the poll...I'm going to abstain from voting.
    Sadly Alpha is not open to everybody, that's part of the point of the Alpha Tests. It's extremely limited and 100% under NDA.

However, I will throw a curveball into this mix. Well we finally have an open to the public statement about Alpha Testing...Just a couple of months ago I had to sit here and avoid confirming its existence by playing the "Beta has not started" card.
    So, with the understanding that Alpha Tests are happening but everything about them other than their existence is withheld under the NDA including who is or is not partaking in the Alpha Tests...

How can you possibly know some players on the forums didn't get access to the Alpha Tests?
    They couldn't tell you even if they did.

Mmmm food for thought. Good stuff!
    edited January 2013
    I disagree with almost everything you said lol. Except for your comment about about a glorified beta. I was thinking the same thing. I've been an Alpha tester on 3 games, and this is the first time I've ever seen Alpha invites thrown out like this.

Opposite sides of the spectrum. I simply think that they need qualified testers which most here are not qualified. Being vocal and a constant poster does not equate to quality testers. Other games you actually had to submit a questionnaire resume that one needed to fill out in order to be put in the pool of possible testers most games. That is how is should be done if you are being selective, not to whomever and whoever that can make themselves visible.
  • mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Just a couple of months ago I had to sit here and avoid confirming its existence by playing the "Beta has not started" card

I remember that all too well. Infact, I was pretty heated.
    Not at you, but the fact knowing somethings going down and you're left in the dark.
  • health002health002 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Its funny how people fall for this kinda stuff LOL,Can lead a horse to water ,but you cant force them to drink it.....
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I have ulterior motives for basing my response on long term vets since I belong to that group. :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
    edited January 2013
    However, I am throw a curveball into this mix. Well we finally have an open to the public statement about Alpha Testing...
    Just a couple of months ago I had to sit here and avoid confirming its existence by playing the "Beta has not started" card.
    So, with the understanding that Alpha Tests are happening but everything about them other than their existence is withheld under the NDA including who is or is not partaking in the Alpha Tests...

How can you possibly know some players on the forums didn't get access to the Alpha Tests?
    They couldn't tell you even if they did.

Mmmm food for thought. Good stuff!

I have been thinking about that for a wile actually. I have been in some alpha tests my self. I usually become a lot less active in the forums because its hard to see people speak about things and not be able to comment because I have real knowledge of what they are discussing.

Though all the forums did have a hidden section in the forums to discuss the game with other testers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rainey70rainey70 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    either way, atleast we are getting closer to a release and that makes me sooo happy <3
  • necalannecalan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    In the PAX Foundry video's that were published in October on YouTube, you can clearly see it says "Neverwinter Alpha" on the login screen! In the same video, when Andy has his character list up, you can see that one of his character's is some sort of specialized cleric!
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It is my belief that it will be random.

However, something inside tells me voting in this poll is kind wrong so I will abstain.
  • maddmistermaddmister Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2013

What about those folks who have been a member of PW and posting in forums for the past 3 yrs or those that own and played NW before? Or what about those folks who have alpha and beta tested numerous other MMO's before? Just because they joined the forum in January doesn't mean they dont have an infinite amount of more XP than you or that they don't have a lot to offer to the forums or the game.

Trollallalalalalala
    Devs
    Are My Masters!
  • sakuda13sakuda13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I came to the forums on or at about Nov of last year. I would love a chance at the Alpha only thing is that i am not a big talker in the forums so i hope that does not make it so i don't get one. But i log on here every day and see the news if there is any on the game and all. So to put it straight ya i do think the people that been around the longest should have a better chance... *Shrug*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gerigeri Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    imo, the only people who should have a better chance of the alpha access should be the forum mods and so on, as they got to deal with threads of this nature , rofl

as a forum moderator in other games , i always had access to their alphas or betas, otherwise the selection was random for new players.

i really dont think Alpha codes should be given out on a limited basis, they should be available to those who apply for them on the forums, both to test server strength as far as capacity goes, and to also account for those who will log in and decide they dont like the game after a day or 2.

this way after the uninterested players are weeded out , we still have a solid player base to test things out.

10-1 the current alpha people besides this new potential wave, are mainly staffers and forum mods, but work still needs to be done , and these people cant be in the game 24-7. from the looks of the sheer numbers of people who applied for Alpha, hopefully there are enough people who will stick with it , so the peopel who dont get in , wont have long to wait for beta to come around.

Beta access i am betting will maybe be associated with promotional offers, like the mount codes from PC Gamer and so on.

maybe pre-ordering other games from PWI ect ect.

Hell , i'd toss some money into purchasing Zen if a code was available as incentive, since i play other PWI games anyhoo , even if i didnt stick around here i'd at least get a shot @ testing.

Beta is most likely 1-2 months away still , if they're still looking for more Alpha testers
  • twilighttime99twilighttime99 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well, i've been here a long time, but have been more reading/watching then posting. My opinion is leave it to random luck. we all get to play eventually and just because others do not have an account created in 2012 does not mean they love this game any less :)

-Twilighttime
This discussion has been closed.