test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

zombie subclass

quseioquseio Member Posts: 43
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
i just thought it would be really cool to play as a zombie, they would be a subclass of any melee, and have a chance to turn any liveing creature into a zombie the stronger you are the more and stronger zombies depending on skill
able to devour their victims and regen health cant be stunned or mind effected but vulerable as all undead are
able to takeover control and posses any of your zombies you can be hard to kill.

You also naturally spread diseases but suffer a nasty penalty to intelligence charisma and speed( the speed penalty goes down and becomes a bonus eventually)

What do you guys think ? and if you like the idea think of your own monster class idea
Post edited by quseio on

Comments

• tethiyeltethiyel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31
    edited January 2013
    Having a playable undead race isn't something I have ever seen in D&D. (I could be wrong.) WoW (don't kill me for bringing this up) has one so it is quite possible for an mmo to pull it off.
    "What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause? To use their own knowledge against them?"
  • uglybuggeruglybugger Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    While having a monster mini-game could be interesting for PvP purposes, I don't really think it fits the Dungeons and Dragons theme. Guild Wars 2 has had "monster elimination" events where players try to be the last one standing, and when you're "killed" you come back as a monster and try to kill the other players still alive. Some people enjoy those events quite a lot. I don't get into pvp very much, so I never spent a lot of time in those events.

However, I would not suggest zombies as the monster type. In D&D, zombies are just about the lowest possible rung of the totem pole so far as undead are concerned, lower even than skeletons. They have an intelligence of 1, and that's less intelligent than most animals. They also don't "spread" like a disease, but are generally created through some arcane or divine (evil side) method.

I'm not entirely certain about 4th Edition monsters in terms of multiplying by killing living creatures. I believe wraiths still multiply that way in 4th edition, but I don't know about ghouls or ghasts (are ghasts even in 4th ed. monster manuals?). That's not to say that the developers couldn't make up their own monster type and run with it, such as the mutant creatures spewing forth from the Chasm, for example.

At any rate, I'd rather be the hero slaying monsters than the other way around.
  • tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Why be a zombie? Isn't a Tiefling or Dragonborn (and yes I know only one is in it so far, but with so many people wanting the other the devs are going to have to include it eventually) good enough? Why be a shambling corpse when you can be a demi-demon or a demi-dragon? Why have world's worst morning breath when you can have firebreath? Why have exposed brains when you can have horns?
  • borisbotborisbot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 88
    edited January 2013
    tharkan wrote: »
    Why be a zombie? Isn't a Tiefling or Dragonborn (and yes I know only one is in it so far, but with so many people wanting the other the devs are going to have to include it eventually) good enough? Why be a shambling corpse when you can be a demi-demon or a demi-dragon? Why have world's worst morning breath when you can have firebreath? Why have exposed brains when you can have horns?

Undead is awesome thats why
  • mnaticmnatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Zombie no.

Undead hmmmm cough** VAmpire cough **

:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    unfortunately we need all zombies as cannon (fodder):p
  • surf13surf13 Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I wonder... With Revenant, Shade, Vampire and Vryloka (plus Dhampyr) do we really need the humble Zombie?

I've seen a couple of Zombie companions in P&P tho. Wil Weaton's in the Penny Arcade podcasts jumps to mind.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    If it is not a PC in D&D PnP by WotC, I doubt it will be in.
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Once you get one monster from the MM in as a playable race, soon they'll be getting tons of emails saying, "Why isn't THIS monster a playable race, too?!?" and "Where's my gith?!"
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well, in PnP 4th edition you could be a Revenant, probably you could settle for that (if it's ever introduced as playable race).
    edited January 2013
    Once you get one monster from the MM in as a playable race, soon they'll be getting tons of emails saying, "Why isn't THIS monster a playable race, too?!?" and "Where's my gith?!"

Githzerai is a playable race as well from Player Handbook 3 of DnD 4th edition.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    BRAINS?!

tethiyel wrote: »
    Having a playable undead race isn't something I have ever seen in D&D. (I could be wrong.) WoW (don't kill me for bringing this up) has one so it is quite possible for an mmo to pull it off.

I mean...

Vampire class. Heroes of Shadow source-book. It's a class now in 4th ed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013

Well met truthseeker. I am a vampire and I don't drink blood.

I also shine when someone stabs me, or strangles me, or throws UV lights at me. I guess it is like a sunburn or a rash - this shining thing.

... ... ... No don't run. It is not contagious. Don't be scared. You will shine too.

And you will cry without any reason and... wait why are you having such a look of horror. I am not dangeous. I do not drink blood....

he fainted. Why are people more scared of vampires who don't drink blood these days than those who do?
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Because in a city being besieged by undead led by one of Tzam's commanders they are soooo gonna accept undead running amuck in their city...

While we're at it why not give us dragon mounts?

WoW really doesn't have undead in the traditional sense. Sure they use undead henchmen similar to the Necromancers would in D&D but the DKs aren't really undead as they regained their consciousness and no longer slaves to Arthus' will. They're more like a Blackguard than undead.
    edited January 2013
    I think he meant the Forsaken as a whole race/faction?
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    God please no Zombies Lychanatropes or Vampires......there are so many MMO's that goes down that road lets be different by not being different Besides Zombies are way over done and Twilight killed Vampires and Werewolves for the next five hundred years.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
    edited January 2013
    BRAINS?!

I mean...

Yep.....and watch that class get totally pwned by most DM's over the age of 30.
  • ottokranzottokranz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Play zombies and other monster or evil creatures.... should be nice as DM in a quest that i write with Foundry....is like a form of PvP...could be interesting
    Ottokranz a.k.a.
    Malamak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

I bet one monster will make it in ... the gnome... yes I know he is also a playable race in PH2...

by the way have you seen my axe...
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    I bet one monster will make it in ... the gnome... yes I know he is also a playable race in PH2...

*steals Francis from the Gnome*

You.... you don't deserve it!
    edited January 2013

Here it is.../*hands death a wicked looking double bladed axe Oh The Warhammer I ordered from Gnomesplat express just came in; let's go try it out.
  • tethiyeltethiyel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31
    edited January 2013
    I mean...

Huh, I did not know that. I freely admit that my knowledge of source books is nonexistence. My groups I played with never used any.
    "What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause? To use their own knowledge against them?"
    edited January 2013
    Huh, I did not know that. I freely admit that my knowledge of source books is nonexistence. My groups I played with never used any.

Heroes of shadow contains the power associated with shadowsource. It includes necromancer, shadowmancer, blackgaurd, assassin and yes, unfortunately Vampires too.

It is essential though and not core. But Shadowworld is part of Nverwinter so including them is not lore-breaking.
  • surf13surf13 Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    God please no Zombies Lychanatropes or Vampires......there are so many MMO's that goes down that road lets be different by not being different Besides Zombies are way over done and Twilight killed Vampires and Werewolves for the next five hundred years.
    Sorry Vamps and Lycans are cannon in 4e so it's inevitable they'll turn up sooner or later...
    edited January 2013
    surf13 wrote: »
    Sorry Vamps and Lycans are cannon in 4e so it's inevitable they'll turn up sooner or later...

Not exactly lycans, but werewolves, wereserpents and wererats. Werewolves are canon because of Vellosk angle with the background of deserter - forgot what term they were called, forsaken I think. For they forsake the oath to Uthguard. However, they loose most of their wolf abilities as Gray Wolf tribe member due to their powers being tied to the Totem.
  • quseioquseio Member Posts: 43
    edited January 2013
    well if not zombie some undead or werewolf !

and i know thered be some problems, maybe it could just be a transformation a really deep transformation im not saying id want zombies or say lichs to be good but at least neutral evil youve given sighlight to much credit werewolf and vampire lore are so much more than glowing emo vampires and stalker emo werewolves
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    ottokranz wrote: »
    Play zombies and other monster or evil creatures.... should be nice as DM in a quest that i write with Foundry....is like a form of PvP...could be interesting

Playable monsters in a PvP setting... make it happen :)
  • xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Having a playable undead race isn't something I have ever seen in D&D. (I could be wrong.)

Play more D&D my friend :p. Even DDO has the option. Though undead isn't a race, it's a state of being.
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
    edited January 2013
    I do support all PC from pnp, and would like that they include the pnp races before going monster play.

Even rarest of rare races deserve a chance before zombie - like (Full) Orc, Bugbear, Deva, Vampire, Shifters etc.
  • danielleborg42danielleborg42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Zombie?? Woah no.

I mean come on, this is still D&D here people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]