test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What type of skum are you?

Comments

• iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I decided to make a rouge instead and he...was...FAB-U-LOS!

Uh-oh, is that a very color coordinated fashionable mob assembling to go after me?

Gotta run!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bethsabeebethsabee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I like rogues with lots of skill to be able to be usefull in many situations, traps, climbing, dual weilding, backstabing, stealing, intimidating, bluffing, spying, lockpicking etc. So rogues with inteligence. I love rogues whan they go acrobatic.
    And from time to time i enjoy a ditance and tactical weapon, like a marking gun that stop an opponent hide abilitie, or a fast 1Hand Xbow wich come with poison of various kind...
  • mnaticmnatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    ranged rogue with a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> sword for when the fighting gets up close and personal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shredstallion33shredstallion33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 66
    edited December 2012
    Don't know if 4e has hamstring and all that cool rogue stuff but some stealth kill combat animations would be <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, in fact critical combat kills would be cool if every class had a few. Example: ice shattering wizard.
  • gigaflop1gigaflop1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    My hope was to have a Dwarf crossbow sharpshooter rogue, dual weilding a light hammer and hand axe for up close. moderate stealth but focused on locks traps and skills appropriate to a Sniper.
    This, of course, could be a Ranger build too
  • raistlin6144raistlin6144 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I would have to say.... Highly intelligent Assassin type rogue, most effective at mid - long range, but capable of hand to hand combat (though only for a short time, wearing only the lightest of armors for unencumbered speed he would be unable to last long in melee combat, also choosing the bow/crossbow during training over the dagger/shortsword leaves him at a disadvantage over better trained people) Highly trained in the use of poisons, even if his shot only grazes the enemy, the chance of a "death" shot is still likely in the end. This character wouldn't focus on normal "rogue" traits IE pickpocketing, etc. Preferring to make his money by fulfilling "contracts" instead, however he would have points in Speech and Trap Detection/Disarm, and of course all Hiding and moving silently =D
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    My rogue had a sword which glowed whenever orcs were near me.

I was never able to sneak attack an orc.
  • ruikesan85ruikesan85 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    My rogue had a sword which glowed whenever orcs were near me.

I was never able to sneak attack an orc.
    I always wondered how that was supposed to be a bonus.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2012
    ruikesan85 wrote: »
    I always wondered how that was supposed to be a bonus.

In one of the pnp sessions, we had great fun when we found this dagger which glowed in orc presence. Our DM is quite creative and he allows a lot of crazy things. We found and orc lich a few weeks afterwards and we didn't have mage or cleric(As I am the one who plays cleric). So we lured it near the dragon. Inside the dragon lair, I aimed that dagger on orc's back who was not able remove it due to his broad shoulders. Then we ran out. The dragon (I think it was a green dragon) had a fascination with shiny and so he grabbed the orc lich and flew off.
    I wonder if such things can be done using foundry ...
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    In one of the pnp sessions, we had great fun when we found this dagger which glowed in orc presence. Our DM is quite creative and he allows a lot of crazy things. We found and orc lich a few weeks afterwards and we didn't have mage or cleric(As I am the one who plays cleric). So we lured it near the dragon. Inside the dragon lair, I aimed that dagger on orc's back who was not able remove it due to his broad shoulders. Then we ran out. The dragon (I think it was a green dragon) had a fascination with shiny and so he grabbed the orc lich and flew off.
    I wonder if such things can be done using foundry ...

Cut scenes?
  • valas625valas625 Member Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    I have an amazing obsession with loot. I don't care what I have to do to get it. Set you up for a fall, walk you into a orc camp then leave you, rob you while you sleep, whatever works. I LOVE treasure, mundane or magic. Although I'm damn near a wizard with my knowledge of lore and basic use of magic trinkets, I'm always looking for more to obtain. Dragon lair? What do I care, thar' be treasure! Take what you want and give nothin' back!
  • tiima1tiima1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Don't know if 4e has hamstring and all that cool rogue stuff but some stealth kill combat animations would be <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, in fact critical combat kills would be cool if every class had a few. Example: ice shattering wizard.

You'll be glad to know that 4e does, in fact, have a rogue power specifically called 'hamstring'. You'll be sad to know that said power is a L25 daily!
    [SIGPIC]Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.[/SIGPIC]
    Confident, cocky, lazy, dead.
    edited December 2012
    Cut scenes?
    I don't know about NW, but STO foundry doesn't have any provisions for introducing cut scenes.
    tiima1 wrote: »
    You'll be glad to know that 4e does, in fact, have a rogue power specifically called 'hamstring'. You'll be sad to know that said power is a L25 daily!
    I hope skills like Hambug!(useful when people ask you for gifts), Hamburger(useful cooking skill when resting) and other such skills are available too besides from combat...
  • jonathanc10jonathanc10 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    A Drow Elf Assassin, black skin, red eyes and white flowing hair. I sneak up on my enemy and with a flurry of strikes I leave them bleeding out like a sieve unable to scream because their lungs are full of blood. Then I slip away into the shadows but not before grabbing any jewellery or coin purses they might have in their possession.
  • cybertroll62cybertroll62 Member Posts: 30
    edited January 2013
    I have two favorite types...

The Rogue-Wizard, this highly intelligent rogue archtype, uses his natural abilities of stealth to avoid combat until the most oportune time, when he uses Touch and Ranged Touch Attacks to devastating effect. He always is a source of knowledge on Monsters, Traps, and other Dungeoneering relevent Lore. (Thus the High Intelligence to put points into Lores in addition to the normal Rogue skills... Does not use Sleight of Hand)

and

The Devout Rogue, this stealthy servant of the Gods of Rogues, Shadow or Illusion, uses his natural abilities to avoid combat until the most oportune time, and by then, has an impressive arsenal of Buffs cast, to magnify the effects of their sneak attack, when they do let loose. They prefer to Jump in, strike, and jump out of harms way before their unwitting foe realizes what happened.
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I have two favorite types...

"Welcome back to the forums goodsir, you have been missed!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    CT is back! Horray!

Too far? :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cybertroll62cybertroll62 Member Posts: 30
    edited January 2013
    CT is back! Horray!

Too far? :D

Not at all... At least you didn't Rick-Roll me!
  • therumancer23therumancer23 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    When I play rogues, I tend to mostly think in terms of a professional tomb raider. Being a complete, backstabbing, ******* doesn't tend to go well with team play (and rogues despite what you might think need teams more than anyone... ironic given tht conceptually you'd expect them to be the most solo-centric class). I tend to get the greed aspect of things involved simply by having no real remorse out of maximizing profits, either in negotiating initial fees, or going out of my way to grab all the loot in a dungeon. My rogues generally aren't likely to try and rob the local bartender, but they are likely to tell other party members "just suck it up and deal with it" when they despoil royal graves and such for their treasure (which comes up more often than you might think). I guess now that I mention "Tomb Raider" (intended in a generic sense) it does fit in retrospect, since most of my thieves do wind up acting like Lara, despoiling dungeons, ruins, and other places for their own profit, as opposed to "It belongs in a Museum!". :)

One of my more successful and long running rogues was a female drow Spellfilcher who was defined as belonging to a noble trading house (similar in concept to Fey-Branche from Menzoberanzzan). In the underdark textiles and things like paper, wooden furniture, and similar things are all paticularly valuable (if mentioned as a side note). The character started in a dedicated underdark campaign but when it ended she received a wish (actually used by an NPC) that allowed her and the other characters present to retain their Drow abillities and equipment on the surface without penelties (this was back when this was more of an issue). When she started adventuring normally she wound up actually dealing with wood cutters and such to arrange caravans carrying surface goods to the underdark trading cities. When she hit the level to establish her own "Thieves Guild" I was allowed to define it her finally getting put in charge of her own section of the trading house, and thus directly controlling numerous caravans (with her "leveled" thief henchmen being Carvan leaders) and gaining a much higher percentage of the trade profits (this character always had to pay a tithe due to being loyal to her "guild" as part of the Spellfilcher kit, but once she was defined as a leader this changed a bit). Kind of amusing since i could justify her showing up anywhere looking for what would be trivial goods (well by surface standards) that she'd sell for a killing underground. She also got declared a Dwarf Friend (Tokienesque sense, rather than Drizzt's relationship with a specific king) by two differant holds which was kind of amusing in it's own right, especially seeing as she secretly wound up looting the crown jewels from the burial chambers of one of them beforehand (though there was understandably an entire adventuring party involved).

That's more my style when I play a thief. When I'm playing a straight rogue (which is rare) I honestly find it difficult to set up backstabbing and such because your generally travelling with a party, and by the time combat starts you generally can't hide in shadows to set up backstabs (3E made this a little more friendly though with the sneak attack rules). At higher levels you can get smoke bombs to create obscurment so you can do it, but that's not always reliable (and are a finite commodity), I found one of the more effective things to do with a thief is to use support weapons like nets, whips, kopesh swords, and things like that in order to try and open up targets for other characters. Being an archer-thief has always been a mixed bag to me, because in general your going to usually be the first one in melee, since if your doing your job your the first one in the marching order and typically at least 10' ahead of the front fighter, after all the thief can't stay "protected" in the party because finding traps is kind of useless if the guy in front of the party steps through them first. Things like the quarterstaff and staff sling always struck me as good choices as well, because while not as long as the classic "10' pole" you can use them to probe ahead of you for pits and pressure plates as a safe choice to go along with your find traps (which you can always fail, especially at low levels), and unlike a 10' pole it's a weapon so your not likely to get caught entirely defenseless if something pops out and goes "booga booga".
  • zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I usually play a brutal fighter or a whining rogue. Whenever possible he avoids combat with PC or NPC with dialogues, tries to talk himself out of the situation, if there is no other option he runs away from the fight. For normal monsters he has very high evade skills using ranged weapons or dual wielding (venomed?) daggers in a swashbuckler kind of style. Hiding in shadows is important to explore dungeons and probably sneak around monsters.
    He is no hero and only looks for his own advantage, which includes joining groups for profit and telling stories about his glorious fights against giants and such, while screaming every time he gets hit by something :cool:

Here is an excellent read about the DND 4 rogue class (download the playtest pdf):
    https://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dra/201106rogue

Rogue scoundrel comes pretty close with skills etc. what I read on this website. So I would go for Tiefling/Rogue (Artful Dodger), add charisma to AC is nice and keep my acrobatic skill high.

p.s. do Tieflings still have better sight in the dark?
    edited January 2013
    zagemogga wrote: »
    I usually play a brutal fighter or a whining rogue.

I can hear his battlecry now.."Not in the face, not in the face!" :)

zagemogga wrote: »

p.s. do Tieflings still have better sight in the dark?

In PnP yes, but I haven't heard anything being done yet for this in the Co-op-MMO but would make a great wishlist!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    I can hear his battlecry now.."Not in the face, not in the face!" :)

I misread it the first time and was wondering what it meant, I read it as "Mace in the Face! Mace in the Face!"
  • n1ghtm4skn1ghtm4sk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Assasin/Shadowdancer. If I not allowed to multiclass I'll choose the assasin than.
    Coming from nowhere makin a kill before you could say jack robinson and disappear to nowhere, and an other party member gained a free movement... That's my style :)
    Really like characters like Entreri or Riven. Even the attitude of they have:
    Ellery: "We will not be caught by surprise."
    Entreri: "Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words."
    Jarlaxle: "Then I am glad once again that you are on my side."
    Entreri: "They've often said that too."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • theincarnadine42theincarnadine42 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm playing a 4e rogue right now that is a charlatan, every time we find some weird sort of liquid or goo I collect it in bottles and in the next town we visit I sell it to the villagers as magic cure-all potions. I've only had to run out of a town with half the residents chasing me because the other half died once... ;)

While it may be overdone, the sneaky greedy little halfling is just so much fun to play, and is my usual choice for a Rogue. After all, what is the point in having party members if you cannot pick their pockets?
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013

While it may be overdone, the sneaky greedy little halfling is just so much fun to play, and is my usual choice for a Rogue. After all, what is the point in having party members if you cannot pick their pockets?

You might want to visit the "what do you hope for in PvP" forum :)
  • zeoxzzeoxz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    n1ghtm4sk wrote: »
    Assasin/Shadowdancer. If I not allowed to multiclass I'll choose the assasin than.
    Coming from nowhere makin a kill before you could say jack robinson and disappear to nowhere, and an other party member gained a free movement... That's my style :)
    Really like characters like Entreri or Riven. Even the attitude of they have:
    Ellery: "We will not be caught by surprise."
    Entreri: "Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words."
    Jarlaxle: "Then I am glad once again that you are on my side."
    Entreri: "They've often said that too."

^^ sellswords. promise of the lich king
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    I'm playing a 4e rogue right now that is a charlatan, every time we find some weird sort of liquid or goo I collect it in bottles and in the next town we visit I sell it to the villagers as magic cure-all potions. I've only had to run out of a town with half the residents chasing me because the other half died once... ;)

That's brilliant! Let me *puts all valuables in lockbox guarded by Cerberus*

shake your hand!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • phoenix970phoenix970 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i too will have trust issues if i was your patner
  • phoenix970phoenix970 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    :Di too will have trust issues if i was your patner:D
  • ipunketteipunkette Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I tend to prefer arcane tricksters myself, a lot of cunning with a touch of magic. A perfectly deadly combination.