test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question about Subscription Model and Lifetime Subscriptions

princessluneprincesslune Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 32
edited December 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
I had assumed that like so many other F2P games that there would be F2P content and subscribers would have access to all the content / features. Now I noticed that STO and I believe CO have a "lifetime" option. While I'm probably not too keen on a lifetime subscription for those games I do think it's a great idea for people who plan on spending a lot of time with a particular game. I would like to have this option for Neverwinter in the pricing structure. I was wondering if there was any confirmation on what the pricing strucutre would be and if there would be a lifetime option available. I think i'ts a great concept and I think of it like an electronic "special edition".
Anyway please let me know if this has been asked before I did do some searching but wasn't able to find an answer.
Post edited by princesslune on

Comments

• Options
    ghosty2aghosty2a Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    ... snip....
    Anyway please let me know if this has been asked before I did do some searching but wasn't able to find an answer.

Yes it has been asked a zillion times, and probably will be asked another zillion times before the game gets launched. Check out truthseekers facts thred for a more detailed set of answers than the one I will give. And that answer is that there in NO priceing plan or plans, as the game will be totaly FREE to PLAY. There will be a cash shop but only "fluff and cosmetic items" will be for sale in it.
  • Options
    princessluneprincesslune Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 32
    edited December 2012
    ghosty2a wrote: »
    Yes it has been asked a zillion times, and probably will be asked another zillion times before the game gets launched. Check out truthseekers facts thred for a more detailed set of answers than the one I will give. And that answer is that there in NO priceing plan or plans, as the game will be totaly FREE to PLAY. There will be a cash shop but only "fluff and cosmetic items" will be for sale in it.

compelling i will check out the thread thanks.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I found it thanks a bunch turn out I wanted "What do they mean when they say "Free to Play?""
    in the new user FAQ, just missed it the first time. If they're serious about it being truly F2P
    then that is VERY exciting. While I don't mind the DDO/STO type models, making it truly F2P
    means no "oh ya you have to buy that content to play with me" nonsense that made it so hard
    to find good groups in DDO. I think that's an excellent decision if the stick with it. Although STO
    has a slightl different model which isn't that they restrict content, just access to certain game features
    (for example foundry, which would never fly with Neverwinter). So this is a great choice.
    Thank again!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    OK in the video one thing Andy Velasquez mentions specifically is "respec services".
    Which is similar to their other games. We shall see.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Neverwinter is being designed Free to Play from the ground up with no subscription model. You will be able to freely download and play the game. There will be no "Subscribers" or "Lifetime Members," as we know for now. We do know there will be a cash shop that aims to only offer non-power items, such as account services, cosmetics and fluff, as well as convenience items. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    Neverwinter is being designed Free to Play from the ground up with no subscription model. You will be able to freely download and play the game. There will be no "Subscribers" or "Lifetime Members," as we know for now. We do know there will be a cash shop that aims to only offer non-power items, such as account services, cosmetics and fluff, as well as convenience items. :)

I think that's great. I don't mind paying for features, but I'd rather pay for the extras. The biggest issue I see with paying for features is, if you are progressing through content that you MUST subcribe to play and for some reason need to suspend your subscription etc... but the game is otherwise F2P you lose access to all those features until you're able to pay again. Which
    tbh sort of ruined DDO in a few ways for a lot of people I think. It makes the game swiss cheese for some. I much prefer this approach as it means everyone can play the game without there being road blocks. Although I don't mind the way STO is I think for Neverwinter it would really have to be F2P from the ground up as you said. Again my example being that I have to have an STO subscription to use the STO Foundry to get slots or pay with dilithium to buy them individually (which currently doesn't work). This would never work with neverwinter as the toolset is a core component and expected functionality out of box in any Neverwinter title.
    So i'm very pleased to hear this, it really will make for a better experience in the long term.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    There are two types of Free to Play games on the market at the moment...

Most call the first type Freemium which is more in lines like a demo service. You can play for free but at some point you're going to reach a wall where a premium subscription is going to be so beneficial you will either pay the subscription or walk away. Those games are truly Premium Games which are subscription based models with a Free to Play model put in place mainly in an effort to gain more subscriptions.
    This is was Champions Online and Star Trek Online uses.

Free to Play games are far rarer. I only know of one off the top of my head which is truly Free to Play: League of Legends. In these games every bit of content is free and you choose to pay for cosmetic or convenience services. There's not only no subscription model but also no items in the shops are in any way arguably required to advance or enjoy the game. This is what Cryptic has claimed NW will be.

Now there will always be discrepancies on whether or not something is pay to win or not, some people consider bags of holding pay to win, but overall the marketing we've been advertised states we won't be able to buy success in Neverwinter. And that's a very promising concept.
  • Options
    sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It should be noted that if Star Trek Online is any indication, the cash shop will only be level 1 of their monetization. If NW follows both STO and Champions Online's example, they will employ locked boxes containing special loot generated randomly from a special loot table. You won't be able to find the keys through normal gameplay. You'll buy them on the cash shop. The theme of the lockbox will change periodically, and there will be an ultra-rare item you'll have ultra-low odds of getting. If they are consistant with their prices, the keys will run 125 Zen ($1.25 USD) each. However, once purchased, the keys will likely be tradable on the regular in-game exchange or auction house.

In STO there are individuals who have spent hundreds of dollars in pursuit of the ultra-rare lockbox items.

Also in STO there is a currency called Dilithium (CO has its own equivilant). You earn small amounts of it from doing most gameplay. But the high-end content progression is dilithium gated, and you need massive amounts of it to progress. There will probably be something like that in NW as well. You can earn it in-game, but the amounts you need takes many days to gather. But good news! You can spend Zen on a special currency exchange to get it as well. And if they do like STO, there will be less desirable stuff in the cash shop than there will be in the NW-equivilant of Dilithium store.

It sounds really really nice when they say the game will be free and the cash shop will only have cosmetic/convenience items. They class the keys as convenience. If you are not careful, you can find yourself dpending 10 times the amount of a subscription buying Zen in small quantities her and there to make it easier to do things.

I am not saying that this is how NW will be. It is how both CO and STO are, and the same people governing those games will be governing this one.

Be prepared to either spend a lot or grind a lot.
    I'm not really a John Galt,
    but I play one on the forums...
    :P
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I have to admit that when i first encountered a lock box, I was shocked. I did find the idea of a grab bag intriguing and when I did finally buy some keys to open a few lock boxes I was pleseantly surprised to find he items to be high end and generally useful (which made spending the money OK). However I would have fealt a lo better about it if I hadn't already been paying the subscription price.
    Although it can be argued with the monthly stipend that to some degree you are getting some in-game cash value out of your subscription. It's not the worst thing in the world, but if they do have something similar in NW not having a subscription is going to get me to spend more on stuff like that, I would be, less apprehensive.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    While you are right sirsitsalot, Cryptic has stated many times over they will not be following the same model as STO and CO.

That doesn't mean lock-boxes won't exist...sadly...
    But it's a bit harsh to think they won't learn from the errors of their past in some power content releases. The subscription options, for instance, are gone without question. Just because they *could* hook players with hundreds of lock-box style content doesn't mean we should expect it.
    Honestly the D&D Community is a bit smarter than that. I don't think relying on those will get Cryptic far...in fact we'd probably all walk away.
  • Options
    ghosty2aghosty2a Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    ... snip ... It is how both CO and STO are, and the same people governing those games will be governing this one...

While yes, Cryptic it the games developer, keep in mind it is PWE that is handeling the purse strings. One needs to check out their games and how they handel the cash shops to see how they will handel priceing and content. Also keep in mind that STO and CO started out as a P2P venture, they were converted to a F2P sysytem later on, and actualy to the Freemium style of buisness operation. Where as NWO, as has been stated a zillion times, is being built from the ground up as a stricly F2P opration. Therefore, it will be totaly different then either STO or CO. Which is why I said one needs to see how PWE is doing things in their games, because F2P from the ground up is what they are known for doing.
  • Options
    valandur1valandur1 Member Posts: 89
    edited December 2012
    I might enjoy this. Without the monthly sub price, getting to choose what I spend cash on will be kinda cool. I really like the idea of a real F2P game, as opposed to the many where you have to buy the game or they make you Pay to advance in the game.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    ghosty2a wrote: »
    While yes, Cryptic it the games developer, keep in mind it is PWE that is handeling the purse strings. One needs to check out their games and how they handel the cash shops to see how they will handel priceing and content. Also keep in mind that STO and CO started out as a P2P venture, they were converted to a F2P sysytem later on, and actualy to the Freemium style of buisness operation. Where as NWO, as has been stated a zillion times, is being built from the ground up as a stricly F2P opration. Therefore, it will be totaly different then either STO or CO. Which is why I said one needs to see how PWE is doing things in their games, because F2P from the ground up is what they are known for doing.

If this wasn't mentioned I was going to add it myself. This is correct.

Also, the "end game" content as mentioned before does not require secondary currency and rare resources regarding STO. That actually is for the Fleet or Guild Starbase options of STO and it is not end game just guild-based. If they now are requesting high amounts for things like the MACO and other quests for single players looking to do end game, then I stand corrected (but hadn't heard that yet, just a reward change to Omega Boxes.)

Now they do also have this new planet where your groups can also build embassies so we will see if this will go to a single player resource drain there or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It doesn't really matter one way or the other really. I'm still going to be playing this. Because it is free, I will be here for the long haul. And because I'll be here for the long haul, I will not seek to rush things. And because I will not rush I won't feel like I NEED anything to speed me along.

Between whatever gameplay mechanics Cryptic adds and the stories Foundry authors will be producing, if I pace myself and just try to enjoy the game, and the company of those I will play it with, then I should have a very enjoyable time.

So the business model won't matter.
    I'm not really a John Galt,
    but I play one on the forums...
    :P
  • Options
    diekaodiekao Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Well they better deliver on what they promise. If I find even one lockbox I'm de-installing the game that's for sure. Either do what you're advertising (F2P) or don't. Take a look at League of Legends, NOTHING you can buy there gives you anything except cosmetic stuff or faster leveling (which is pointless anyway). The moment you put content or items in special boxes I have to buy, I'm out.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    diekao wrote: »
    Well they better deliver on what they promise. If I find even one lockbox I'm de-installing the game that's for sure. Either do what your advertising (F2P) or don't. Take a look at League of Legends, NOTHING you can buy there gives you anything except cosmetic stuff or faster leveling (which is pointless anyway). The moment you put content or items in special boxes I have to buy, I'm out.

Ummm your anger is sorta laughable..it's a game Elvis calm down. Your ultimatums isn't going to effect their decision as many people hate lockboxes four times as many buy them including a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ton who <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and moan about them on the forums.

If peopel want to end lockboxes stop buying the keys but it isn't going to happen so PWE gets a cash cow
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    diekao wrote: »
    Well they better deliver on what they promise. If I find even one lockbox I'm de-installing the game that's for sure. Either do what you're advertising (F2P) or don't. Take a look at League of Legends, NOTHING you can buy there gives you anything except cosmetic stuff or faster leveling (which is pointless anyway). The moment you put content or items in special boxes I have to buy, I'm out.

Many of us despise lockboxes so don't be discourage regardless of how the previous poster replied to you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    pilf3r wrote: »
    Many of us despise lockboxes so don't be discourage regardless of how the previous poster replied to you.

I personally am not in love with them..instead of pissing and moaning about them I vote with my wallet and don't buy keys. I also realize that no game company is going to stop offering something that brings them in truck loads of cash.

Call me pragmatic.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    rustplayerrustplayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited December 2012
    I personally am not in love with them..instead of pissing and moaning about them I vote with my wallet and don't buy keys. I also realize that no game company is going to stop offering something that brings them in truck loads of cash.

Call me pragmatic.

If *everything* truly was accessible without RL money easy, the business side of the game would not ad up. They need money to run everything and likely not too little. Therefore we have to be - motivated to spend on the game. These lockboxes are a wonderful way of motivation, if everything inside them can be gotten elsewhere in the game as well (but very difficult / low drop rate / annoying to not spend money in general). If you dislike them boxes, ignore them like stormdrag0n seems to do.

Look at it this way: We who spend the money finance the game for you who choose not to spend money. For that we have to be given something worth wile, for otherwise we carry our wallets elsewhere.
    It's that simple.

Greetings :-)
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Call me pragmatic.

It's not so much what you say but how you say things, in an insulting and derogatory manner. See the above in green if you fail to see what I mean.

rustplayer wrote: »
    If *everything* truly was accessible without RL money easy, the business side of the game would not ad up. They need money to run everything and likely not too little. Therefore we have to be - motivated to spend on the game. These lockboxes are a wonderful way of motivation, if everything inside them can be gotten elsewhere in the game as well (but very difficult / low drop rate / annoying to not spend money in general). If you dislike them boxes, ignore them like stormdrag0n seems to do.

Look at it this way: We who spend the money finance the game for you who choose not to spend money. For that we have to be given something worth wile, for otherwise we carry our wallets elsewhere.
    It's that simple.

Greetings :-)

I think you misunderstand the problem most have with lockboxes and then presume because we are against lockboxes we are against the company making money or that ourselves will not want to spend money in the item mall.

It's a frequent misconception that because we are against one item in the shop that others are "paying" for our game play. I hate this attitude as it is generally a "subtle" and insulting way of insinuating we are cheap asses that need others to pay for us.

The problem most of us have with the lockboxes is that they are more like a lottery where you have to hope to get the item you want. If I want to buy the newest shop mount just let me buy the damn thing outright for X amount of cash, don't make me have to buy a damned lotto type box, orb or whatnot.

I would rather pay more outright for the mount (at a reasonable price) rather than pay less but have to buy an unknown amount of these lotteries.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Never underestimate cosmetics and connivance LoL proves it's very profitable, and Turbine's Lord of the Rings Online latest release (9 right?) shows how NOT to market that with being ridiculously aggressive on getting everything done instantly with silver coins and blasting your total owned/bought all the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jpnolejpnole Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It should be noted that if Star Trek Online is any indication, the cash shop will only be level 1 of their monetization. If NW follows both STO and Champions Online's example, they will employ locked boxes containing special loot generated randomly from a special loot table. You won't be able to find the keys through normal gameplay. You'll buy them on the cash shop. The theme of the lockbox will change periodically, and there will be an ultra-rare item you'll have ultra-low odds of getting. If they are consistant with their prices, the keys will run 125 Zen ($1.25 USD) each. However, once purchased, the keys will likely be tradable on the regular in-game exchange or auction house.

In STO there are individuals who have spent hundreds of dollars in pursuit of the ultra-rare lockbox items.

Also in STO there is a currency called Dilithium (CO has its own equivilant). You earn small amounts of it from doing most gameplay. But the high-end content progression is dilithium gated, and you need massive amounts of it to progress. There will probably be something like that in NW as well. You can earn it in-game, but the amounts you need takes many days to gather. But good news! You can spend Zen on a special currency exchange to get it as well. And if they do like STO, there will be less desirable stuff in the cash shop than there will be in the NW-equivilant of Dilithium store.

It sounds really really nice when they say the game will be free and the cash shop will only have cosmetic/convenience items. They class the keys as convenience. If you are not careful, you can find yourself dpending 10 times the amount of a subscription buying Zen in small quantities her and there to make it easier to do things.

I am not saying that this is how NW will be. It is how both CO and STO are, and the same people governing those games will be governing this one.

Be prepared to either spend a lot or grind a lot.

I hope otherwise, but I would not be the least bit surprised if you were right. Anyway off to play some NWN....
  • Options
    trollololloltrollolollol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    I hope they keep it simple. Planetside 2 is yet another example why I hate some games, basically everything cost money, 1 weapon, 1 costume, 1 decoration etc.

I give you 30 and pay 15 per month, devs happy?