test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Impressions of Neverwinter Online from the NWN1/2 community

2»

Comments

• nwn0babayaganwn0babayaga Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    thanks for the info about the custom content... or no cc so to speak. I will work on my nwn stuff anyway so i dont lose my own creativity in that regard. And with a unique Light and sound setup you can create some realy unique environments even you?re limited to the same objects including wall/floor parts like all the others. So i?m open to that part of creating new adventures. The keyword here maybe is "improvisation".

The foundry itself looks very user friendly which is good for people without any knowledge or basic knowledge of other editors or modding in general and for us it means we dont need to much time to getting used to.

one question, is the lighting done by lightmaps or realtime?
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012

one question, is the lighting done by lightmaps or realtime?
    One thing regarding lights - either to have pregenrated light sources, or to place the lightsource at some location yourself - however it is only an educated guess but I think you will have options to both like the option to populate the room with prefab objects.

Regarding lightmaps or realtime, though information has not been released - I believe it would be latter. But we can only know once foundry is released.

EDIT: My reasoning is that you may have disappearing objects in a mission for dynamic map types and there would be no way to "know" any triggers for that condition. So having pregenrated lightmaps would be complicated.

EDIT2: One more thing -the foundry is not going to be perfect- there would be some disappointments in regards to cryptic engine - which is although good, is bound to have some physics limitations as being discovered by STO foundry authors. I am not very in on those developments however, but I believe some workarounds are being considered by devs (here is link to STO foundry where you can find some bug reports and requested features if you are bored sometimes :) ).

EDIT3: From the dev:-
    Persistent maps remain a goal for the Foundry team, though I can't say weather this will be in at launch. From our early design discussions, we essentially want it to be a type of map you can publish that functions as a social map, but with contacts and doors that you can link other foundry quests to. This will allow authors to use persistent maps for a whole slew of purposes, from social maps to quest hubs to guild housing.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    While certainly different in regards to the location, the STO Foundry update really appearers to mirror many basics of what we've seen the Neverwinter Foundry do in its videos (of course no Space in NW at this time.) Since it's free to play, I'd recommend considering downloading the STO game if curious to check it out (but they do charge in game currency per slot for their Foundry slots, but you can get enough in game currency after the tutorial for new players in STO.)

Or feel free to wait if you are taking a purist or not interested int that kind of game. In no way required, just an interesting "preview" option.

Or just head on over to Starbase UGC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]