test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Role-play check!

valistariusvalistarius Member Posts: 11 Arc User
edited September 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello everybody.

Being a veteran role-player with many years of experience, the thing I have valued most in the NWN games - together with the toolsets - has been the possibility to create true and unfettered role-play, which has been completely player-driven; the unique ability to emerge yourself into a gameworld and subsequently affect the environment through role-play and player actions.

I love dungeon crawling as much as any DnD fan, but I am also very passioned about role-playing. With this new game steering more in the MMO direction, I am wondering whether there will still be room for us veterans who enjoy hanging around the campfire or local inn? Will it still be possible to create a red wizard faction or playing as a Zhentarim and actually have it mean something in the gameworld? Or will everything be pre-scripted content which the players have no way of influencing?

I wonder whether this new Neverwinter will cater to these kind of players, and equally important, are there still some of you "true role-players" out there who will use this game as a platform to create and experience some genuine and proper role-play?

All the best,
~ Valistarius ~
Post edited by valistarius on

Comments

• discorddiscorddiscorddiscord Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
    edited September 2012
    Sounds like your talking about whether there are DMs in neverwinter online. Currently there is no DM system. Im a roleplay vet as well. I have a feeling we will have to huddle together to protect ourselves from the horrors of OOC talk. We may be able to find some quiet areas where roleplayers can hang out. Or play in user generated content designed for roleplay.
  • valistariusvalistarius Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Or play in user generated content designed for roleplay.

We may indeed have to resort to desperate messures.

On that note, I wonder how big custom mods can be. I wonder if it would be possible to create a world within the world.

If so, one could theoretically create and entire gameworld just for role-play and then players could access it through the regular game.

And with the toolset allegedly being fast to work with, opposed to the one in NWN 2, perhaps putting together an entire PW could be possible for a single individual. Or if there will be system which allows other players with access to upload and expand on already existing custom content, I could suddenly see how this would be innovative.
  • discorddiscorddiscorddiscord Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
    edited September 2012
    I dont think we will be able to create worlds at first. I imagine that user generated quests will have limits to how many can enter.
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, probably too utopian at first. Maybe we'll be able to upload PWs on dedicated serves down the line if the game becomes successful.

Hopefully they will implement an OOC channel, which can be turned off by the player if he doesn't want to get his dialogue box cluttered with OOC chat.

So, are there other people out there who has an interest in using this game to role-play?
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    I already talked about my views of roleplaying in another thread so rather than simnply reiterate here's my post from this thread.

Unfortunately they won't be having multiple servers so my views go down the drain...
    But I hope they add massive support for roelplaying because it is an iconic and more or less unique aspect to D&D compared to other games.

The only way to do so would be to separate the roleplayers from the OOC players completely in some sort of game mode. So goodness knows if Cryptic would want to spent that kind of time supporting the feature but to me it's not enough to have 'roleplaying chat' and 'ooc chat.'
    To truly be immersed in a roleplaying environment we can't even see those who do not want to participate. Random people running around me, interacting physically with me but not talking to me just throws me off. Ignoring the text doesn't make them not exist.
    edited September 2012
    Ignoring the text doesn't make them not exist.
    So true. I doubt they will let us have our own server, there would be too few players. And the usual way it goes for roleplayer servers is that people tend not to roleplay. Heres a thought though, there could be an application process. I wouldnt mind getting involved in something like that.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Sounds like your talking about whether there are DMs in neverwinter online. Currently there is no DM system. Im a roleplay vet as well. I have a feeling we will have to huddle together to protect ourselves from the horrors of OOC talk. We may be able to find some quiet areas where roleplayers can hang out. Or play in user generated content designed for roleplay.

Not necessarily.

One piece of UGC content I have in mind is The Black Dragon Tavern; folks may remember it from Neverwinter Nights, it's basically a atmospheric hangout and in talking to people that have had hands on with Neverwinter and the Foundry will be easily doable, groups can enter get their RP on whenever they wish and if Cryptic allows a social class of UGC with a expanded group cap and a join in progress request so much the better.

This is how the Join in progress can work: Say a group of five people has entered the BDT, the leader of said group acts as the Bartender, and can allow or disallow Join request as the see fit that way the group can have a private RP session or a social hangout of up to say twenty people. I think it is a very doable solution.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    No, they've already confirmed there would be a "one server solution" so a separate server is out of the question.

A Separate Game Mode would be a possibility if Cryptic so chose but it would involve a lot of work as well as a decent amount of thought put into preventing abuse but it would be my ideal solution to the problem.

Basically a player wants to roleplay so they go into the game options and under gameplay select 'Switch to Roleplaying' so that only other roleplayers will be rendered to their screen. It's not a separate server but simply blinds players from seeing each other.
    OOC Players will not know Roleplayer's are in the area and Roleplayers won't know OOC Players are in the area.

It can still be on one server at that point and while I am not sure how Cryptic's Engine works I know basic graphics rendering is elementally easy to segregate.
    But again this would require Cryptic to want to put the effort into supporting Roleplaying and, honestly, whether they do or don't I'll be here playing so the incentive is a bit low to do something so drastic.
  • valas625valas625 Member Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    So true. I doubt they will let us have our own server, there would be too few players. And the usual way it goes for roleplayer servers is that people tend not to roleplay. Heres a thought though, there could be an application process. I wouldnt mind getting involved in something like that.

I dunno know about too few players. It's D&D, you'd be surprised how many people would like to RP. Yea, there'll be a bunch of people who don't, but those people are looking for a classic MMO. Half of the WoW/Diablo players will quit simply because those games went from needing some actual skill to "tank agro, healer atl+heal, everyone else smack the boss to death" And that's another problem for people. Tabbing each enemy to attack them will get rid of alot of them. Actually having to aim will make this game fun simply because you'll have to do better, but alot of gamers won't like the idea of targeting in an MMO. Look at Tera, great idea but people found the targeting too hard. Not cause it is hard, just cause it's not simple. Anyhow, my point was that RPing shouldn't be too hard since of alot of players will BE people who play D&D(RPing), and the different chat panels would be incredibly helpful. Heck, send me a message if anyone gets a solid idea on this problem.
  • viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm not sure if it is possible but maybe there could be a way to make the general; OOC, LFG, Trade, ect. chat channels not show up in the chat box in certain areas of the game, or make an option in the players option panel to block these chat channels altogether or in certain areas like libraries, tavern, campsites, ect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    It is possible and I believe stormshade even spoke about it once but I don't remember exactly what he stated on the matter.

Bottom line is ignoring they are talking doesn't solve the problem. In fact it makes me feel like a class act jerk ignoring players.
    edited September 2012
    Crypticmaplis sais "Persistent maps remain a goal for the Foundry team, though I can't say weather this will be in at launch. From our early design discussions, we essentially want it to be a type of map you can publish that functions as a social map, but with contacts and doors that you can link other foundry quests to. This will allow authors to use persistent maps for a whole slew of purposes, from social maps to quest hubs to guild housing." Which gives possibilities for people who like RP.
  • ghosty2aghosty2a Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Just some thoughts from one of those "non-role players" ( for the most part any way, i do occasionally indulge in RP). For one, they have said there will only be one server, but will will have many "layers" to it. For reference, LOTRO and Forsaken World use this process. Turbines version will create a new layer if there are too many players in a given area. This can and has created havoc with party's when they find themselves separated after entering a new area. As for FW, they have different "realms" that you can switch between. Each realm has the same content, but will have different players in them. And no, the realms are not different servers, just different "layers" of the same server. So what does all that have to do with Role Playing? Well, maybe, hopefully, they will create a RP layer. Not sure how they would go about enforcing only RP and or RP characters get on it, but it's an idea at least.
    Also, the servers will be using instances a lot from what i understand so far. This too could be a mechanism for creating a RP only area, a RP instance maybe? As well, if I understand the Foundry's functionality correctly, each UGC is it self a instance. So maybe what ever controls a User has in setting up a UGC will allow for limiting it to RP??
    Again, till we get our hands on the game and the Foundry, this is all just speculation. But at least it's some ideas to kick around and spur more ideas.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hello everybody.

I think the rp u r talking about is only possible in small private servers. In MMOs a lot of things change to accomodate all kinds of players.

however, roleplay is as limited as your imagination. So in absence of certain things, imagination and creativity has to take over. Because remember, roleplay is older than computer games.

One thing you must remember is that people hate forced role-play and imo justifiably so. Therefore, if you want to play a certain faction, nothing is stopping you - go ahead and do it. Make your foundry missions based on that factions story and don't play official missions. But don't expect it to be there in official or canonical content. The cannon follows its own story.

Infact why limit your roleplay. With the way the game is, roleplay as space traveller from STO who comes to a world isolated somehwere far far way in the galaxy where your power cells run out. And then role-play as a person from Vulcan who works to go back to his world, and along the way helping some quests as they are "in the way".

Or roleplay as CO hero who planar transported to another dimension in 'multiverse'. But a role-play where all the people are forced to roleplay a certain faction (or factions) is a bad role-play as it limits the imagination.
    edited September 2012
    There's no doubt that this product will be significantly different than its predecessors, but that doesn't necessarily mean that some sort of role-play orientated features can't be implemented. I think several of the ideas mentioned in this thread have merit - especially if they a feasable.

Being a co-op MMO, the focus is not primarily on role-play and the target group is probably people under age 25, but the Neverwinter franchise has a fine pedigree, which I think the developers should stay as true to as possible. From the information we can gather, they have come a long way already, and they have even taken some new an innovative steps to carry on the NWN legacy.

The Foundry system where people can upload approved custom content is awesome, but even that will become old at some point as going through scores of hack 'n slash mods only is exciting for so long. It's good for longevity, but if they really want people to keep coming back over and over again, some sort of role-play setup where people can truly immerge themselves might proove a necessity.

Again, role-play might not have first priority at this point, but it is probably something the developers should take into account. That combined with the Foundry system would surely elevate this game way above its competitors.
  • aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Add in voice filters to change the sound of a players voice to match the race they chose. That can be toggled on/off of course. So your male Dwarven fighter sounds like a deep voiced, barrel chested Dwarf, and not a 13 year old boy who's voice is changing.

Just sayin. It's role-play, not manditory, and doesn't necessarily make everybody feel as though they are a hard-core role-player.

Again, just sayin'.
    edited September 2012
    aescleal wrote: »
    Add in voice filters to change the sound of a players voice to match the race they chose. That can be toggled on/off of course. So your male Dwarven fighter sounds like a deep voiced, barrel chested Dwarf, and not a 13 year old boy who's voice is changing.

Just sayin. It's role-play, not manditory, and doesn't necessarily make everybody feel as though they are a hard-core role-player.

Again, just sayin'.

A very good idea, i am pirating it to my ideas thread. In fact have a slider for deep and shrill voice which users can change according to their choice. Shouldn't be tough as it would just be like using a voice editing plugin with the game client.
    edited September 2012
    ghosty2a wrote: »
    Also, the servers will be using instances a lot from what i understand so far. This too could be a mechanism for creating a RP only area, a RP instance maybe? ...

We did ask stromshade that question (if it was possible to have RP-only instance which was monitored by some mods to enforce rp - but it seems very less-likely. The sever architecture makes it so that same rules apply to all instances.) It has not been answered yet though.
  • subway7850subway7850 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The chat system will most likely be what they use in STO and DO, so dont worry, its easy to create costum chats, even privat chats.
  • heavenshock12heavenshock12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    subway7850 wrote: »
    The chat system will most likely be what they use in STO and DO, so dont worry, its easy to create costum chats, even privat chats.
    Yet when surrounded by 999 people who /shout "WTS bla bla bla" etc. it's pretty hard to roleplay as just a folk walking around the city who you're able to interact with, if you just bump into someone and start RPing with him and he has no idea of it he'll just ignore you and run away, and slowly slowly it'll happened to you more and more and you'll give up the idea of roleplaying, which honestly can be extremely fun, unless everyone will choose to be "The strongest warrior alive" w/e.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Being a RPer first (and foremost,) and also a player of STO, I can say you're missing the point if you are looking for a mechanical role-playing option. Honestly, speaking as a game role player for thirty four years (this October,) I'm a little insulted that people feel the necessity to use things like servers or voice modulators to "role play" in game. If you wish to role play, then do in in chat/voice. Tag your description/biography as a character role player and play your character! It can be something as simple as contacting your fellow players who role play and typing something out when together to as complex as only doing things in a way your character would act like language immersion or anywhere in between.

Speaking briefly as to what's done in Cryptic MMO Mechanics, people often have a RP channel to play their stories and coordinate meetings at places to socially RP and game RP (that is throughout the world and not done in just one game zone, but can also be done locally for immersion.)

There's one"mega server" and that's how Cryptic does it (servers linked to one game world.) Don't bother trying to change that as they won't do it for their fourth game build in existing game engine and server architecture.

Using voice modulation is fun, but when you try and speak, sometimes it doesn't sound clear (anybody who used D&D Virtual Table understands) let alone speaking out of character (OOC) is tough as it's not a simple toggle. And this is based on a system that had voice modulation built in, and here it would have to be developed, tested and rolled out. Time that would be spent away from other small things like additional classes and races since we would be researching new tech rather that building on existing one (Cryptic does have game voice support but not modulation support. Voice is not popularly used in STO and I can't comment on CO.)

I can hear the nay-sayers already,

"But truth, if we don't do something to make it part of the physical game, it will never be supported!"

To those who hold onto that, respectfully, it comes out of the rear end of a bull. I can't type what comes after bull, but yep, it's four letters.

If people are serious about role-playing, then role play. But it's up to those who are committed to it to band together and-and I'll try to use the word and clarify its meaning here-enforce it.

Now I don't mean "if you don't play your character, you can't be here," but the players who want to find like minded people need to play their character and keep playing their character. Even if it turns out you are the two people in an entire area (or even game) that do so. If you are passionate about something, then fight for it. But understand, your views are not always going to be the supported or popular ones, no matter how much you feel it makes sense to the "game mechanics."

Take PvP. There are those who say it is absolutely essential to any MMO and an MMO will fail without it. Then there are others who say PvP has nothing to do with D&D and the framework of the party setup being counterpoint to the ideals of D&D, even the latest edition of every character is balanced to work in a (co-op) group setup.

Want to know the secret to who's right? They both are!

But (much like certain political things which I will not detail here,) people on opposing sides think the only way they can "win" their point is impose their views and get some guarantee that their ways are always gong to be there (currently with a position sometimes that the other side will be sacrificed if it means their way succeeds.)

PvP is an important part to MMO's. But it's not always the right thing either. It may be vitally popular in one game, a very small minority in another, and anywhere in between for most. But the option is there to do it, and have a choice not to be forced either way and not take away resources from other things. This decision was prevalent enough to be one of the points that delayed the game to 2013 rather than have it later released after the game came out, risking alienating people needing this when it requires a mechanical setup. In the end, "PvP choice rules!" was a very wise decision even if only one reason in a game polishing checklist why.

Bu the wonderful thing about RPing is we don't need to have servers or voice servers or modulators or RPing filters to guarantee rping.

We just need to RP, find others who also RP, and keep it up as long as we don't block others from playing the game their way including (gasp) not RPing.

So, demand we have the right to RP, but don't enforce it with the mechanics of how we do it. And never force other to do it or leave "my game."

Just be your character and be happy with others who do theirs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    Just be your character and be happy with others who do theirs.

I agree, just use "Local" chat and RP your character!
    People that are to far away wont hear you, so non-RP players wont have any problems with it.

Hope to RP with you all when the game is out!
  • heavenshock12heavenshock12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    subway7850 wrote: »
    I agree, just use "Local" chat and RP your character!
    People that are to far away wont hear you, so non-RP players wont have any problems with it.

Hope to RP with you all when the game is out!
    You don't think that among a community of like, 10k players it won't be hard to find another roleplayer ? If, for say they will make an option to "Show only RP player" or as truthseeker said make an RP channel it will be tons easier and funnier, so you won't blend in the OOCers and your game will be purely RPed.
    Trolls and market shouts will interrupt constantly.
    edited September 2012
    Yet when surrounded by 999 people who /shout "WTS bla bla bla" etc. it's pretty hard to roleplay as just a folk walking around the city who you're able to interact with

Dont worry!

Create a new tab! In this tab you choose what channels you want to see. Like "Lokal" for RP, "Guild" so you can talk to your guild, "Tell" so people can whisper to you, and maybe some other custum channels.

That way you wont see "Zone" chat where all the LFG, WTS and WTT is going on. b:pleased
  • wkbuilderwkbuilder Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I feel like the MMORPG has moved away from the RPG part and favors the MMO part. They all seem to want to cater to the masses more than actually immerse the RPG'er. I'm a little tepid about this game, and how it will translate to the long time Forgotten Realms fan like myself. Nothing was more gratifying than when I started playing on RP servers in Neverwinter Nights. Creating a character from a table-top game, and falling in love with it all over again! Becoming that character; and interacting with others who were playing the characters they loved. It was and still is the best thing in gaming for me. That's why I still play, as well as build my own mods for NWN.

With Neverwinter MMO... I'm imagining a classic movie like the Godfater, remade starring Zac Effron and Robert Pattinson. Simply blashpemous! But here's to holding out hope. Maybe us RP'ers can make our own forum or guild once the game launches.
    edited September 2012
    wkbuilder wrote: »
    With Neverwinter MMO... I'm imagining a classic movie like the Godfater, remade starring Zac Effron and Robert Pattinson. Simply blashpemous! But here's to holding out hope. Maybe us RP'ers can make our own forum or guild once the game launches.

Perhaps we should start building a roleplay guild now.

And to respond to iamtruthseeker id say it would still be helpful to have an rp filter or a server.
    edited September 2012
    Perhaps we should start building a roleplay guild now.

Roleplay cuts across guild's boundaries.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    wkbuilder wrote: »
    I feel like the MMORPG has moved away from the RPG part and favors the MMO part. They all seem to want to cater to the masses more than actually immerse the RPG'er. I'm a little tepid about this game, and how it will translate to the long time Forgotten Realms fan like myself. Nothing was more gratifying than when I started playing on RP servers in Neverwinter Nights. Creating a character from a table-top game, and falling in love with it all over again! Becoming that character; and interacting with others who were playing the characters they loved. It was and still is the best thing in gaming for me. That's why I still play, as well as build my own mods for NWN.

It's not like they are doing that movie remake and Dax Sheppard is taking over the Pacino role....

*whispered to*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • urbanskill1991urbanskill1991 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I love RPing. I would love to see them in NWO. If anyone made rping guild. let me know. I would like to join it :D

Anyway. Iamthetruthseeker just put very good post. s/he have very good point.
    3.jpg
    edited September 2012
    I love RPing. I would love to see them in NWO. If anyone made rping guild. let me know. I would like to join it :D

Anyway. Iamthetruthseeker just put very good post. s/he have very good point.

If you plan to play an Elf and maybe are willing to help out with the start as an officer, you are more than welcome to join Wolfpack, just say the word =)