test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Community Built Areas

aelthas002aelthas002 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello, First post here

I am an avid fan of D&D, MMO's and Neverwinter Nights (since the beginning).

One thing that I enjoyed most about Neverwinter Nights was the role playing. I thought it would be great to have Community Based areas aside from the Quests (or Raid) areas. Where in these community based areas you could have more than just a party of five you could have a larger amount to house a guild or a community. These community areas could be good for those who want to not necessarily distance themselves from the real game or other players but just focus on guild matters or have a secluded area to role play, chat or whatever else.

I believe this would also give other builders like myself a chance to develop their own world for other players and not rely on the campaign world or a short quest to tell their tale. I feel it would be kind of like bringing what I loved about NWN 1 and 2 into this game. I'm sure its not to much of a stretch because city of heroes had something similar to this with the headquarters, I just think it would be interesting to have it in a bit of a larger scale.

I'm not sure if something like this is already implemented or discussed but I for one would like to see if this could be added.

Questions? Opinions? Other Ideas?
Post edited by aelthas002 on

Comments

• Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Guild houses would certainly be nice. They either could do them like in C9, where you basically get a special guild instance of an empty house, and then upgrade it and fill it with objects (furniture, banners, decorative weapons etc.) using crafting skills of the members. Or they could allow guild instances to be Foundry-d so that every guild could build a fitting "pocket plane" for themselves, be it a temple, a cozy tavern, a study room or a reflection of Baator b:pleased
  • Options
    hazrothhazroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 50
    edited August 2012
    I remember Lineage I had a guild hall system, which is a pretty cool concept. It gives your guild something to strive towards, upgrade, and a place to hold meetings or just hang out and get away from the stress of adventuring from time to time. But also if you're looking to create content and tell stories, the foundry will be implemented with NWO so that you can create your own delves for others to experience.

If you haven't already, you can check it out here.

http://nw.perfectworld.com/about/foundry

Also, perhaps a nice place to gather for non-guildies would be the tavern! Because who doesn't like to meet up and have a pint? (Even though I don't drink, I totally support this idea as well.)
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    *Brin' dis parch'd dwerf eh beer, will yeh!* b:laugh

But yeah, they should totally combine the Foundry with some form of guild housing system.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    I'd absolutely love to be able to do what your describing, especially in the non-guild hall manner.

It seems unlikely from what I've read on the subject and it has me feeling like we'll be limited more towards DDO style dungeon raiding development but I'd absolutely love to have them allow truly epic in proportions builds. Perhaps even make it so that a group of developers could put all their stuff under one roof so to speak and while I wouldn't think they could compare to a persistent worlds of the NWN 1 & 2 it would at least have the humble foundations of them.

It would be great too see them truly hold off the reigns and allow players a lot of freedom in their foundry creations...but it would also be unlikely.

Let's remain hopeful though.
  • Options
    darren0kitlordarren0kitlor Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I really wish SWG's city building could make a comeback.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    crypticmapoliscrypticmapolis Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 240 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2012
    Persistent maps remain a goal for the Foundry team, though I can't say weather this will be in at launch. From our early design discussions, we essentially want it to be a type of map you can publish that functions as a social map, but with contacts and doors that you can link other foundry quests to. This will allow authors to use persistent maps for a whole slew of purposes, from social maps to quest hubs to guild housing.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Housing you say!? Most excellent!
    Looking forward this more and more with each passing word.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Persistent maps remain a goal for the Foundry team, though I can't say weather this will be in at launch. From our early design discussions, we essentially want it to be a type of map you can publish that functions as a social map, but with contacts and doors that you can link other foundry quests to. This will allow authors to use persistent maps for a whole slew of purposes, from social maps to quest hubs to guild housing.

Excellent, really waiting for this. Even if it doesn't come with the initial release, I bet people would be willing to throw money at you if you release it later as an expansion, provided it works well. So take your time ;)
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    *Evil laugh starts*

BWahahahahahahah
    Bwahahahahahahahahahaha
    Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

*burst a vein*

BWWWAAAAHHHHAHHAHAA

*blood spills out*

[conditions met, it can finally be used]
    b:sin
  • Options
    aelthas002aelthas002 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012

That's exactly what I wanted to hear b:pleased, Thanks for the reply. I look forward to playing Neverwinter hopefully in beta, and being able to use the foundry as well.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    *blood spills out*

[conditions met, it can finally be used]
    b:sin

So wait, using the Foundry requires a blood pact? b:shocked
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I would love to bring the Black Dragon tavern from my NWN Shadowhaven campaign back to Neverwinter; it was a very popular hang out and jumping off point to other Campaigns...good times good times.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ausdoerrt wrote: »
    So wait, using the Foundry requires a blood pact? b:shocked

Blood and tears my friend! Blood and tears....
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    You made my night crypticmapolis.

A goal, either at release or later, is still better news than we've heard and some of the most joyous yet.
    The fact you care and want to try to make it a possibility all the community could want from Cryptic at this point in time.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,370 Arc User
    edited August 2012

As far as PvE or PvP based areas one thing that will go along way is if as devs you make certain gameplay aspects of creating these where there are some specifics so that if a buddy goes and makes a map that they can be linked together so basically between authors you can have a whole region made and this could be like semi new content that could be more easily maintained between expansions of the game.
  • Options
    darren0kitlordarren0kitlor Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You must gather your party before venturing forth!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012

• Options
    edited August 2012
    zebular wrote: »

*Ausdoerrt casts "Ease of Use Mod Pack"!
    * It's super effective!
  • Options
    aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Fellas. Hey, you guys. You guys working on the Foundry.

YOU ARE MY FAVORITE PEOPLE NOW!

I just wanted you to know that.
  • Options
    trollololloltrollolollol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    I really wish SWG's city building could make a comeback.

ArcheAge is probably closest to SWG we get any time soon. Although I heard a rumor "someone" started to make sandbox last year.
  • Options
    deadarmoured87deadarmoured87 Member Posts: 65
    edited August 2012
    Oh good god! I can't wait to create a guild or personal house with bedrooms tailored to each of my friend's characters b:dirty

Riddiculously awesome!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Oh good god! I can't wait to create a guild or personal house with bedrooms tailored to each of my friend's characters b:dirty

That somehow sounds waaay too creepy and awkward if you read too much into it b:laugh
  • Options
    deadarmoured87deadarmoured87 Member Posts: 65
    edited August 2012
    ausdoerrt wrote: »
    That somehow sounds waaay too creepy and awkward if you read too much into it b:laugh

Haha b:chuckle Yeah maybe.

I'm serious though; make a cozy tavern bar area with separate rooms branching off into a library/drawing room for my mage friend, a hole down in the cellar with traps and alchemic equipment for my rogue friend, a Scrooge McDuck style mound of gold treasury for my greedy friend and a furnace with weapon racks all around for me! b:cool