test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Compared to Raiderz??

mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
edited August 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
After playing Raiderz alpha I started getting more excited for NWO mainly because the combat is extremely fun and addicting in Raiderz, and NWO looks to be the same only faster with D&D elements which is even better.

So will NWO have more content than Raiderz and will it be similar in exploration?

Will everything in the campaign guides map be in this to explore and possibly more?

I didn't play DDO for long due to the cramped feeling of always being in that one town with only dungeons. I love freedom to go where I'd like and really hope this wont be like DDO style and We get imprisoned in Neverwinter.

That being said, Raiderz from PW goes into Beta august 8th and there's tons of beta keys out there to anyone interested in checking it out. I have a feeling NWO will be similar and hope this temporarily quenches my thirst to play NWO. Please let me know what you guys think on the comparison of the two.
Post edited by mrbuttflakes on

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    After playing Raiderz alpha ...

You raised my curiosity. I will also try it out in beta and check its combat. But all the games I played have all have had active combat - Rusty Hearts, DDO, vindictus etc. Other games which didn't have active combat were all real time strategy(or pnp) - a completely different genre. So I don't think that just the active combat would impress me. But I sure want to try it out.
  • mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well I just got back into playing DDO to give it another shot and have been having alot of fun..so much so I bought the new xpac and I'm only lvl 5 so got a ways to go before I can see that content. Only thing Raiderz has that I didn't see in ddo is dodging when you like to avoid attacks. Nevertheless I needed my D&D fix and DDO has been doing it so far for the past couple days.

Yeah the action combat in Raiderz is like Tera, only you can make weapons and armor from drops off creatures which is awesome and love that crafting system they have. Some say it's like monster hunters but I've never played that so not sure.
  • vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Only thing Raiderz has that I didn't see in ddo is dodging when you like to avoid attacks.

Plus, you know... an actual persistant world. DDO is just a bunch of instances, same with Vindictus, RH and the rest of the action RPGs out there, bar for Tera. Though I would barely classify DDO as "action" RPG in the first place - it works kinda like Elder Scolls, ie exactly like a classic RPG, except that you can't lock targets.

Raiderz is basically Monster Hunter for PC. It's all about fighting big monsters and using parts of them to then fight even bigger monsters, and so on and so forth. As an experience, I wouldn't really compare it directly with something heavily lore based D&D game, like Neverwinter or DDO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    vindicon wrote: »
    Though I would barely classify DDO as "action" RPG in the first place - it works kinda like Elder Scolls, ie exactly like a classic RPG, except that you can't lock targets.

You totally can, and often do, lock targets in DDO. Especially if you're playing a ranged/caster class. The only part about DDO that's similar to action combat is that you can move around while fighting unlike most WoW-style and Korean-style MMOs.
    edited August 2012
    ausdoerrt wrote: »
    You totally can, and often do, lock targets in DDO. Especially if you're playing a ranged/caster class. The only part about DDO that's similar to action combat is that you can move around while fighting unlike most WoW-style and Korean-style MMOs.

Actually, the reason why it is action combat is because of placing and speed. If you don't get lag(which you get a lot as its servers are ancient), you will see that unless the sword actually makes contact it won't register a hit. You can jump in combat or just keep changing you location and never get hit. Hell I even had a monk which could outrun magic missiles :p
    They do have lockdown, but it is a convince feature (like an AI helping you handle your controls rather than having the lock built up in the game engine itself). Even with lock you cant throw spell behind your back etc.

But lot of things are broken. At its time those were quite some innovations but their technology(game engine) has grown old. And NW it seems, is going to bring in new innovations using the new engine. D&D hasn't got its fair share of good online games as it should have. Much of it has to do with Atari, but cryptic is finally free of it :)

oops! I must cleanse myself now that I have taken that name...
    edited August 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Actually, the reason why it is action combat is because of placing and speed. If you don't get lag(which you get a lot as its servers are ancient), you will see that unless the sword actually makes contact it won't register a hit. You can jump in combat or just keep changing you location and never get hit. Hell I even had a monk which could outrun magic missiles :p
    They do have lockdown, but it is a convince feature (like an AI helping you handle your controls rather than having the lock built up in the game engine itself). Even with lock you cant throw spell behind your back etc.

That's true. I guess I was thinking more in ranger terms, where you can basically auto-attack+afk at certain boss fights b:cool

But yeah, all valid points, though I still think DDO is to action combat what IE games' RTwP is to turn-based combat. Similar but not at all the same.
  • tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I honestly think that instead of asking to compare Neverwinter to RaiderZ, two games published by the same company, you should ask to compare RaiderZ to a game published by a different company.

No, not TERA, Phantasy Star Online 2. Now THERE is something to ask for a comparison.
    edited August 2012
    tharkan wrote: »
    I honestly think that instead of asking to compare Neverwinter to RaiderZ, two games published by the same company, ...

Actually they are two different companies.
    One is cryptic who is now subsidiary of PWE. (i think). Whole game is thus with PWE.
    Raiderz is by maiet i think. PWE only has NA server. EU server's rights are with someone else. Similarly korean game (english one is just a translation) is still with maiet i think.

:)

just pointing it out, because D&D nerds have a reputation to uphold (of being smartass)
  • tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Actually they are two different companies.
    One is cryptic who is now subsidiary of PWE. (i think). Whole game is thus with PWE.
    Raiderz is by maiet i think. PWE only has NA server. EU server's rights are with someone else. Similarly korean game (english one is just a translation) is still with maiet i think.

:)

just pointing it out, because D&D nerds have a reputation to uphold (of being smartass)

Published. Published. Not developed, published. I am well aware of who developed what. I am merely pointing out that instead of comparing two games that are being published by the same company, wouldn't it be better to compare to another game published by another company (kind of like the RaiderZ/TERA comparison, but this time compare Neverwinter or RaiderZ with a game that falls into the same category of "action MMO" that received universally positive reviews).
  • stormshadestormshade Member, Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I understand that some comparisons are going to happen by default, but I really want to encourage you all to view Neverwinter as its own game.

We should focus our discussions here on what we can do to help make Neverwinter the best game it can be. Not on how combat in NW and another title look when compared side by side.

Thanks,

Stormshade
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Since I do not feel as though I'll be a regular player of RaiderZ nor a part of their forum Community, I thought I would rather share here, with the fine folks that is the Neverwinter Community.

I have TWO extra RaiderZ keys! I will give one to each of the first TWO people who send me a Private Message asking for them.

I'll edit this post when they're all gone. Just be ready for a super slow download rate from both sources.. as PWE messed up and waited until today to open up the client download...

What was that spell... Fiir.. Faar...

Oh! FIREBALL!

Update: 2 keys left as of edit time-stamp.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    I suppose the RaiderZ keys are still quite abundant in obtainment, no one has yet requested one of my four extras. So, I shall continue to hold on to them until such a time that someone requests one from me. RaiderZ CBT lasts until August 29th. I'll update the post above this one as/when/if I hand the four keys out.
  • needaloxneedalox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    stormshade wrote: »
    I understand that some comparisons are going to happen by default, but I really want to encourage you all to view Neverwinter as its own game.

We should focus our discussions here on what we can do to help make Neverwinter the best game it can be. Not on how combat in NW and another title look when compared side by side.

Thanks,

Stormshade

Dont F@#$ing use Gamegaurd! How's that for focused discussion?
  • thedio777thedio777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 75
    edited August 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    I suppose the RaiderZ keys are still quite abundant in obtainment, no one has yet requested one of my four extras. So, I shall continue to hold on to them until such a time that someone requests one from me. RaiderZ CBT lasts until August 29th. I'll update the post above this one as/when/if I hand the four keys out.

I pmed you :O
    edited August 2012
    Played RaiderZ for a few hours, and I'd say it's difficult to compare it to NWO in any way whatsoever, other than maybe the combat. If the NWO combat system feels the same/similar, I'd be okay with that. Just as long as the skills progression system is different (more DnD-like and not y'old typical tree).

As for Gameguard, I think it's a Maiet thing more than a PWE thing. IIRC, GunZ used GG as well, and it looks like they're intent on using it again, despite it being completely useless.

PS I did get two more extra keys when I registered, so if anyone else needs one, feel free to PM.
  • plamgarplamgar Member Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    Played RaiderZ for a few hours, and I'd say it's difficult to compare it to NWO in any way whatsoever, other than maybe the combat. If the NWO combat system feels the same/similar, I'd be okay with that. Just as long as the skills progression system is different (more DnD-like and not y'old typical tree).

I agree with you.I stoped playing RaiderZ cuz its too asian themed,you know what im saying.And all the male Players and NPCs look like women its hard to identify them.And the ingame songs just put me off.
    edited August 2012
    I dunno, I kind of like what I've seen so far, but not sure how long I'll stay interested. From what I've seen in Beta, there isn't all that much that changes as you develop your character, and the crafting is kinda limited.

But yeah, I hear you on the style, you get the typical Asian MMO faces. At least, I did find one that looks a lot like Robert Downey Jr. and named him Sherlock XD The world style I don't mind though, since I did also like games like FFXII or Last Remnant. A big chunk of the player base seems rather juvenile, though.
    edited August 2012
    Also, RaiderZ is experiencing some serious server stability issues. Hopefully that isn't the sign of things to come for NWO.
  • tuukkasalonentuukkasalonen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ....FFXII...

Personally I didn't like FFXII too much, other characters were fine and story okay i suppos BUT
    Vaan...ugh this main protagonist was just horrible (thats what i think anyways)
    I am inactive and I know it
    edited August 2012
    thedio777 wrote: »
    I pmed you :O

Just sent a key to your pm box!
    edited August 2012
    I dunno, I kind of like what I've seen so far, but not sure how long I'll stay interested. From what I've seen in Beta, there isn't all that much that changes as you develop your character, and the crafting is kinda limited.

But yeah, I hear you on the style, you get the typical Asian MMO faces. At least, I did find one that looks a lot like Robert Downey Jr. and named him Sherlock XD The world style I don't mind though, since I did also like games like FFXII or Last Remnant. A big chunk of the player base seems rather juvenile, though.

I also wasn't really impressed that much. The combat was fun in the beginning and I do like the art of the world and mobs, and what few differentiating appearance choices there were (they could do this latter much, much better in my opinion however). The major disfavor for me is that I absolutely loathe game mechanics that make it near impossible to hunt on your own, especially having huge bosses that kill a single person so very fast.

I knew the game was going to be group orientated, so I went into it knowing I'd not enjoy it. I prefer game mechanics that let the player decide when they want to group, having such being forced upon the players in order to progress quests and character development is not something I enjoy at all. There are probably enough people that do enjoy mostly group play however, so for those type of MMO gamers, I am sure they will enjoy RaiderZ.

My only real concern, in regards to comparison with RaiderZ, is whether NWO will have Gameguard or not. I seriously hope it does not, for many reasons which have already been brought up. Plus, it likes to interfere with my mouse's and keyboard's extra buttons and settings. I don't recall what game it was, but also one time I played a game with Gameguard, it disabled my speech recognition software and macros, which are essential for me to play most MMOs.
    edited August 2012
    Personally I didn't like FFXII too much, other characters were fine and story okay i suppos BUT
    Vaan...ugh this main protagonist was just horrible (thats what i think anyways)

Well, it's specifically the setting that's magical, there's many a bone to pick over story/characters/mechanics depending on one's personal preferences.
    I also wasn't really impressed that much. The combat was fun in the beginning and I do like the art of the world and mobs, and what few differentiating appearance choices there were (they could do this latter much, much better in my opinion however). The major disfavor for me is that I absolutely loathe game mechanics that make it near impossible to hunt on your own, especially having huge bosses that kill a single person so very fast.

Strange, I felt the opposite, I thought that group play was actively discouraged despite the ads. I mean, you only get a fraction of kill XP in a group, meaning your level grind actually goes down if you solo. I can see how grouping would be necessary for the bigger challenges, but so far the "epic monsters" haven't been much of a challenge if you approached them cautiously.

I also thought that the grouping interface was rather bare-bones and clunky, hoping to see something more intuitive in NWO, hopefully w/ voice chat included.
  • tuukkasalonentuukkasalonen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well, it's specifically the setting that's magical, there's many a bone to pick over story/characters/mechanics depending on one's personal preferences.

As i said i have nothing against game overall but it got pretty many minus points due to this annoying and in my opinion even a bit stupid Vaan. Sure he mighta been a great side character but main protagonist? no...just no...
    I am inactive and I know it
    edited August 2012
    Strange, I felt the opposite, I thought that group play was actively discouraged despite the ads. I mean, you only get a fraction of kill XP in a group, meaning your level grind actually goes down if you solo. I can see how grouping would be necessary for the bigger challenges, but so far the "epic monsters" haven't been much of a challenge if you approached them cautiously.

I wish I had your experience! The first boss quest I fought was quite challenging of a fight (Barbarian), which was an intense fight and generally not a bad thing. I was almost dead when thankfully someone came in and helped me finish him off. Then the second boss quest I was on appeared right next to me as I was just running by and began attacking me but got pulled off by a group waiting for it. I decided to help out and I guess I drew it's aggro somehow for it turned at me and let loose some breath weapon that took my life from full to dead in 1 second. Even if I could have tried to respond, it killed me so very fast, I couldn't do more than drop my jaw in disbelief as I watched my health bar drain from full to dead in about one second.

That's the thing I hope also not to see, in NWO, are things that happen so fast, that you'd need to be a young teenager high on caffeine to even think about a response to an attack. I enjoy being engaged and testing of strategy, but there is a time when the allowed reaction time is just not enough. Maybe I am just getting old.

P.S. I still have a couple CBT keys left for RaiderZ. <--- click for more info. | When you apply a key, you'll get 2 more keys in your registered email to share with others.
  • torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    zebular wrote: »

I knew the game was going to be group orientated, so I went into it knowing I'd not enjoy it. I prefer game mechanics that let the player decide when they want to group, having such being forced upon the players in order to progress quests and character development is not something I enjoy at all. There are probably enough people that do enjoy mostly group play however, so for those type of MMO gamers, I am sure they will enjoy RaiderZ.

My only real concern, in regards to comparison with RaiderZ, is whether NWO will have Gameguard or not. I seriously hope it does not, for many reasons which have already been brought up. Plus, it likes to interfere with my mouse's and keyboard's extra buttons and settings. I don't recall what game it was, but also one time I played a game with Gameguard, it disabled my speech recognition software and macros, which are essential for me to play most MMOs.

This is about how I feel as well. I could probably enjoy the game as an alternate, but the GameGuard thing is pretty much a deal breaker. I have played a lot of different MMOs including some that use watchdog programs and game guard is the only one that has consistently borked my system.

I really hope Neverwinter has smoother more responsive combat. Anyway, I don't want to be too harsh on RaiderZ. It's still in early testing. We'll see how they iron out the kinks.