test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cloaks?

enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
edited July 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
I just noticed that I've never seen someone wear a cloak in NWNO. Any plan to implement this or are they there and I just don't see it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by enderlin50 on

Comments

• vashthedrunkvashthedrunk Member Posts: 45
    edited July 2012
    I saw some in one of the trailer video, but too bad it clips through the ground when you kneel, a sign of lazy work ethics.
  • higherfasternowhigherfasternow Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    you know i think cloaks are one of the hardest things to animate properly with a physics engine. instead of complaining that PRE ALAHA video shows clipping. just be happy cloaks are included. i remember when new games came out and you had to pray that you'd even get to see your armour change colour.

just my 2cents
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2012
    I agree higherfasternow.

Of course I love cloaks and robes and don't think it's a *truly* complete D&D, pre-1700 or general fantasy game without cloaks and robes included in the game but it takes a lot of time and effort for those features to be added.

NWN didn't get them until Hordes of the Underdark due to it's complexity.

I'd never call it lazy to have clipping issues with them or not include them. The work required to develop cloaks/robes alone is easily just as hard, if not harder, than the process of developing the rest of the body armor in their entirety.

The biggest problem with clipping issues is the simple fact that the more you try to fix those the higher you push the system requirements. Simply put the more time placed into physics development the higher the investment is for fewer customers.

Be happy you get Cloaks/Robes and try to understand a fraction of the work it takes to make them work with minimal clipping issues. Nobody will hate the game for not having them or having a few clipping issues but they won't play if they don't have a computer that can handle the game.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Tiefling helmet also shows clipping, but in a game which places more stress on active action combat, lag is a greater concern. Would be nice to turn visibility of helmets, cloaks off if they get too distracting.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2012
    I do love cloaks, hoods and robes in fantasy MMOs and especially for my clerics, rogues and mages in PnP D&D. I also admit that one of my most disappointing things about how cloaks are implemented in most MMOs is how they always tend to clip or fly through the character and environment. While I would be disappointed to see such graphical and technical bugs in NWO also, I think I would be more disappointed if they didn't exist in the game at all.

I'd rather have slightly buggy cloaks and hoods at release rather than not having them at all, even if it meant waiting for them to be released with no clipping issue. That is, as long as an effort is made to fix such bugs and issues. For D&D players like me, who love Role-playing and Character Appearance, cloaks and hoods can be an essential part of a character's role-playing persona.
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I dont recommend keeping the audio on, but if you jump around in this video you can see a little cape action as the model is spun and manipulated. I don't know about anybody else, but I'd be happy with that if it's all I got. If I had my way the cloak physics would implode my video card upon itself...but the Champions Online stuff would work, too.