test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Mages' Roleplaying Guild (Name will come!)

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
Hello there everyone. Just wanted to introduce an idea of mine. I've led plenty of mage-oriented roleplaying guilds in the past in various MMOs, but my true heart has always belonged to the Forgotten Realms.

Some friends and I are aiming to create a mage-roleplaying guild (We're europeans, huzzaaaaaah) for those well-versed in the lore of Faerun, as well as the Arcane Arts / the Weave.

More information will come - would love to see some support / interest from some likeminded Toril-wizard fans!
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2011
    Interesting Idea for sure. How are they going to handle areas of magic destruction and augmentation created from the god wars I wonder? If these areas still exist in the distant future time period of the game.
    edited December 2011
    Indeed so, it'll be interesting to see. Also, I should add - the foundations /history for the guild has not been set in stones yet. We most definitely won't be a mercenary-mage group, or a clergy of Mystra. and most certainly not a "school". Think more like the... Arcane Brotherhood of Luskan / Cowled Wizards / Mage-Lords of Athalantar. :)

Ideas are welcome, of course
    edited January 2012
    Go to the top of the forum!
    edited January 2012
    sounds cool

Just keep in mind guys that in 4e there is no "weave" anymore and Mystra is dead and wasn't replaced.

Guess they decided four dead gods of magic was enough :D
    edited January 2012
    "The Weave" is all magic of Fareum. It can never "die," but be assured, it got hella damaged after the second godswar when Mystra was murdered. Her literally blowing up was the "cause" of magic not working for a long time and just recently "normalizing" as well as the Spellplague (at least in the Forgotten Realms.)

And Greenwood did bring back Mystra reborn as a (approximately in power) demi-god in his novel line, but the keepers of Mystra's power after she died (including Elminster) all became ash liches when they released her power to bring her back.

That said, this does not mean it is Cannon that Mystra is around in the 4E game, just a FYI.

And is one dead god of magic Azuth who was the god of wizards/spellcasters? I was counting Mystrul and Mystra (LN and NG goddess of Magic and the Weave dead twice) but who is (or are) the other god(s) to make four?

Oh yeah, wizards are absolutely my favorite class in D&D. That typed, how are you going to manage party balance it everybody is a wizard? Now if artificers and/or sorcerers (and other similar classes) were added, it could work.
    Asm0deus wrote:
    sounds cool

Just keep in mind guys that in 4e there is no "weave" anymore and Mystra is dead and wasn't replaced.

Guess they decided four dead gods of magic was enough :D
    edited January 2012
    "The Weave" is all magic of Fareum. It can never "die," but be assured, it got hella damaged after the second godswar when Mystra was murdered. Her literally blowing up was the "cause" of magic not working for a long time and just recently "normalizing" as well as the Spellplague (at least in the Forgotten Realms.)

And Greenwood did bring back Mystra reborn as a (approximately in power) demi-god in his novel line, but the keepers of Mystra's power after she died (including Elminster) all became ash liches when they released her power to bring her back.

That said, this does not mean it is Cannon that Mystra is around in the 4E game, just a FYI.

And is one dead god of magic Azuth who was the god of wizards/spellcasters? I was counting Mystrul and Mystra (LN and NG goddess of Magic and the Weave dead twice) but who is (or are) the other god(s) to make four?

Oh yeah, wizards are absolutely my favorite class in D&D. That typed, how are you going to manage party balance it everybody is a wizard? Now if artificers and/or sorcerers (and other similar classes) were added, it could work.

Not a big fan of ED but anyhoot:D

1.Mystryl died from the spell Karsus Avatar (in reality Mystryl suicided to save the weave from further damage )

2.Karsus WAS a deity for the brief time he survived his folly :D

3. Mystra was born and limits spells to level 9 so acces to level 10 11 and 12th level spells are gone as an attempt to stop this from happening again. She was then killed by Helm.

4. Midnight becomes the new God of magic (basically because she wears Mystra necklace and Ao grants her the duty) and adopts the name Mystra.

When Cyric kills her the "weave" bursts and she is not "reborn" the weave goes down for good and this is why we have the spellplague and why magic is weird and why mages have to relearn how to use magic.

The weave is not magic itself, its how magic was regulated/controlled which was done by the god of magic Mystra. The spellplague was caused by the magic being "freed" from the weave and reverting to its natural wild state.

The weave unraveled because its "controller" Mystra died.

I wont argue about it but you might find this a nice read, pay close attention to Mirteks posts.

here's an excerpt from page 3 :

"Actually the weave was there so that mortals could use magic at all. Technically the weave never was the source of magic, only filter between magic and mortals, because raw magic on Toril was so potent that only divine beings could access it without killing themselves. A mortal would fry himself by trying the lowest fire cantrip if not for the weave between him and the raw magic. Why it is no longer needed in 4e? No real explanation was ever given. Maybe the spellplague burned out the potential of Raw Magic that much, that's it's now safe to use without gloves (which would also lead to it being too weak to support level 10+ spells anymore) "

source: http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-4th-edition-discussion/275248-mystra-weave-magic-we-know-now.html

You can also see it here: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19777426/The_one_and_only_34;Ask_the_Realms_authorsdesigners_thread34;_3?post_id=336686330#336686330

here's an excerpt:

"Here's the way Ed G. explained it to me years ago: The Weave is an interface. It's the conduit through which the spellcaster accesses the raw potential of magic lurking in every atom of the cosmos. When the interface is removed, magic doesn't die--it's still locked up in everything around you. It's one of the fundamental forces of the universe. Electromagnetics, strong force, weak force, gravity, and magic. Well, I might be exaggerating a bit; it's not clear to me that things like atoms or radio waves or the nuclear strong force exist in a world composed of the classic elements. But I digress."
    edited January 2012
    I had completely forgotten that! ORIGINAL magic was like worse than the olde school Mythal, and only those touched by dieties then safely cast, and it was a big thing.

As for now,
    Spellplague

Because Mystra (and formerly Mystryl) was inextricably bound to the Weave (one cannot exist without the other),[2] when Mystra was assassinated by Cyric and Shar on 29 Tarsakh 1385 DR, the Weave collapsed and initiated the Spellplague.[4] (Brian R. James (2008-02-27). "Spellplague: The Wailing Years". Retrieved 2008-04-14.)

But it was my intrepretation that since mortals cast magic (or at least arcane magic) again, that the "Weave" repaired, just not with Mystra, which is why the Spellplague technically ended on the lands eventuually. As for what the "Weave" is post Mystra return, I got no clue. Your call Greenwood.
    Asm0deus wrote:
    Not a big fan of ED but anyhoot:D

Mystryl

The weave is not magic itself, its how magic was regulated/controlled which was done by the god of magic Mystra. The spellplague was caused by the magic being "freed" from the weave and reverting to its natural wild state.

The weave unraveled because its "controller" Mystra died.

I wont argue about it but you might find this a nice read, pay close attention to Mirteks posts.

here's an excerpt from page 3 :

"Actually the weave was there so that mortals could use magic at all. Technically the weave never was the source of magic, only filter between magic and mortals, because raw magic on Toril was so potent that only divine beings could access it without killing themselves. A mortal would fry himself by trying the lowest fire cantrip if not for the weave between him and the raw magic. Why it is no longer needed in 4e? No real explanation was ever given. Maybe the spellplague burned out the potential of Raw Magic that much, that's it's now safe to use without gloves (which would also lead to it being too weak to support level 10+ spells anymore) "

source: http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-4th-edition-discussion/275248-mystra-weave-magic-we-know-now.html

You can also see it here: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19777426/The_one_and_only_34;Ask_the_Realms_authorsdesigners_thread34;_3?post_id=336686330#336686330

here's an excerpt:

"Here's the way Ed G. explained it to me years ago: The Weave is an interface. It's the conduit through which the spellcaster accesses the raw potential of magic lurking in every atom of the cosmos. When the interface is removed, magic doesn't die--it's still locked up in everything around you. It's one of the fundamental forces of the universe. Electromagnetics, strong force, weak force, gravity, and magic. Well, I might be exaggerating a bit; it's not clear to me that things like atoms or radio waves or the nuclear strong force exist in a world composed of the classic elements. But I digress."
    edited January 2012
    I had completely forgotten that! ORIGINAL magic was like worse than the olde school Mythal, and only those touched by dieties then safely cast, and it was a big thing.

As for now,

But it was my intrepretation that since mortals cast magic (or at least arcane magic) again, that the "Weave" repaired, just not with Mystra, which is why the Spellplague technically ended on the lands eventuually. As for what the "Weave" is post Mystra return, I got no clue. Your call Greenwood.

Hmm this is DnD they can pretty much twist it to anything lol.

My understanding of it though is the weave is not magic itself, it is more a "method used" by the controller. The weave forces or controlls the "flow" of magic to make it more uniform or accessible to magic users.

When magic went wild and returned to its "natural" state many things happened. I don't think the weave repaired itself, people adapted and is why magic is not "worked" the same in 4e.
    edited January 2012

Hmm, I remember reading the latest book - Bury Elminster Deep - and I didn't see anything that implied that Elminster died / sacrificed his power / turned into a lich :P
    edited January 2012
    Arclath wrote: »
    Hmm, I remember reading the latest book - Bury Elminster Deep - and I didn't see anything that implied that Elminster died / sacrificed his power / turned into a lich :P

"Elminster Must Die!", and my apologies it's an ash wraith not lich. Although with his status now, this "what state is he as a being" may be moot. It's how Mystra is and if she changes him (if applicable.)
    edited January 2012
    "Elminster Must Die!", and my apologies it's an ash wraith not lich. Although with his status now, this "what state is he as a being" may be moot. It's how Mystra is and if she changes him (if applicable.)

-Spoilers-

Well, he didn't give up his power to Mystra. What has currently happened is: Manshoon destroyed Elminster. Elminster turned into an ashwraith. In the newest book "Bury Elminster Deep", he gets his body back, and may have found a way to restore Mystra. Let us hope that the Lady of the Weave returns and everybody's favourite Sage of Shadowdale lives on!
    edited January 2012
    Spoiliers below.
    Arclath wrote: »
    -Spoilers-

Well, he didn't give up his power to Mystra. What has currently happened is: Manshoon destroyed Elminster. Elminster turned into an ashwraith. In the newest book "Bury Elminster Deep", he gets his body back, and may have found a way to restore Mystra. Let us hope that the Lady of the Weave returns and everybody's favourite Sage of Shadowdale lives on!

Oh I could have said spoiliers. Weird this BBS while it can support doesn't have a spoilers tag.

Yeah what he said QFT. I guess I wasn't certain if he was fully restored both in body and power to how he was before when alive but Mystra gone. Nobody is certain what her status is except she has returned. What will be "granted" if her status changes...the book and its others if applicable will have to say.
    edited January 2012
    So i wonder if they bring Mystra back to full godhood will there then be 2 camps of magic ?

Those that use the weave (if it comes back) and those that use raw magic ?

Edit: Maybe a mod could split this thread for us, as we seem to be hijacking the OP thread?
    edited April 2012
    Are there any new ideas about your mage guild yet?
    edited April 2012
    Discussion about wizard guild turned that you guys talk about Weave and Elminster...man.
    Anyways i do hope that Mystra becomes greater deity again (here in finland only translated books about elminster is elminster saga) after all she's my 2nd favo deity from forgotten realms, Elminster is nice too but really not one of my favourite characters.
    Btw that wizard guild thing sounds cool expect that your guild should be EVIL (Minsc &Boo would never forgive it) if you want to be like mage lords of Athalantar :P
    edited April 2012
    Anglomyr wrote:
    Discussion about wizard guild turned that you guys talk about Weave and Elminster...man.
    Anyways i do hope that Mystra becomes greater deity again (here in finland only translated books about elminster is elminster saga) after all she's my 2nd favo deity from forgotten realms, Elminster is nice too but really not one of my favourite characters.
    Btw that wizard guild thing sounds cool expect that your guild should be EVIL (Minsc &Boo would never forgive it) if you want to be like mage lords of Athalantar :P

Interesting idea. If I were to go that route personally, I'd choose Halaster Blackcloak.
    His madness is fun when you can see,
    much worse in rhyming, most properly. :)

May your guild honor wizard and arcanists of all shape, size and mental capacity Arclath :D
    edited April 2012
    Interesting idea. If I were to go that route personally, I'd choose Halaster Blackcloak.
    His madness is fun when you can see,
    much worse in rhyming, most properly. :)

May your guild honor wizard and arcanists of all shape, size and mental capacity Arclath :D

Halaster.....YIPES *run away!*
    anyways in case you got me wrong (just making sure) I didn't mean that Elminster should become deity but that Elminster person is nice but not really my favourite from the Realms :P
    edited April 2012
    Meh, 4 ed FR was seriously inconsistent in the case of Mystra/Weave/Magic/Gods/Patheons (just don't get me started on gods like Hanali being in fact an "aspect" of Sune...) -it felt as if forced. But I do hope that Mystra comes back, along with Elminster as the substitute for Azuth. Still, of all killed gods I miss the most Eilistraee, she was my favourite, eh....

Anyhow, I find the guild idea interesting. I would be even better if all arcane classes would be in Neverwinter. That way we would not need martial, divine, etc. Bards, Swordmages, Wizards and Warlocks would be enough :P

Edit: As for Mystra, check the forgotten realms wikia: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mystra There is some info about how they want to resurrect her and also, curiously, her Holy symbol changed a bit.
    edited April 2012
    Qumi wrote: »
    Meh, 4 ed FR was seriously inconsistent in the case of Mystra/Weave/Magic/Gods/Patheons (just don't get me started on gods like Hanali being in fact an "aspect" of Sune...) -it felt as if forced. But I do hope that Mystra comes back, along with Elminster as the substitute for Azuth. Still, of all killed gods I miss the most Eilistraee, she was my favourite, eh....

Anyhow, I find the guild idea interesting. I would be even better if all arcane classes would be in Neverwinter. That way we would not need martial, divine, etc. Bards, Swordmages, Wizards and Warlocks would be enough :P

Edit: As for Mystra, check the forgotten realms wikia: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mystra There is some info about how they want to resurrect her and also, curiously, her Holy symbol changed a bit.

Eilistraee is my favourite deity, even after her death, but i miss Helm also
    edited April 2012
    Well, actually Eilistraee might not be entirely dead. The author of the book that was about her dead commented:

Spoiler
    “I would have love to have kept both Eilistraee and Vhaeraun alive and kicking, since they make such interesting antagonists for Lolth, but my assignment from Wizards of the Coast was to make the necessary “tweaks” to the drow pantheon. WOTC stipulated that they had to die, but I had the fun of coming up with the gruesome details. Whether Eilistraee or Vhaeraun are ever resurrected (either in game material or a novel) is strictly up to WOTC — although individual DMs can do as they will, within their own campaigns. Hopefully, I’ve written in a couple of “loopholes” in my trilogy that they can use!” -Lisa Smedman.
    edited April 2012
    Well, actually Eilistraee might not be entirely dead. The author of the book that was about her dead commented:

Spoiler

Well thank you...wait, Vhaeuraun died as well? What is the world going up to, what will Lolth or her followers do next, eat elf pantheon alive or?
    edited April 2012
    Just last offtopic update: Vhaeuraun was ummm... eaten by Eilistraee. They merged, she took over his followers and power.
    edited April 2012
    Just last offtopic update: Vhaeuraun was ummm... eaten by Eilistraee. They merged, she took over his followers and power.

Well then ima continue with this off topic thing slightly
    That sounds quite funny considering conflicts between their followers (Elaine Cunninghams drow princess trilogy for example!)
  • neonblast97neonblast97 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Hey there!
    Was reading through this thread and I like the idea, I find it interesting. I would LOVE to be part of a Mage Guild, it would be complete fun and to already have somewhere to start when you begin playing instead of you know, roaming around Neverwinter looking for quests, new friends and a Guild that isn't loaded with "Rules" "Limits" etc. You can totally put my name down, I want to be apart of this :)
    OH and would you happen to know when Never winter will be released to play?
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Hey there!
    Was reading through this thread and I like the idea, I find it interesting. I would LOVE to be part of a Mage Guild, it would be complete fun and to already have somewhere to start when you begin playing instead of you know, roaming around Neverwinter looking for quests, new friends and a Guild that isn't loaded with "Rules" "Limits" etc. You can totally put my name down, I want to be apart of this :)
    OH and would you happen to know when Never winter will be released to play?

Welcome!

For questions like a release date, please (officially) go here and (unofficially) go here.

That latter one is our New users FAQ--our first user-stickied thread, but watch out for its creator! b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • velmornvelmorn Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Glad you've got an interest in the project as well!

And hello again everyone - pardon for the huge (cough) amount of inactivity lately, but I've been quite busy with a few side-projects IRL, but here I am again.

Right, so I have decided that my own character, Velmorn Ordal, is a War Wizard of Cormyr having travelling to the Sword Coast in the wake of this new calamity. He'll be gathering fellow wizards / sorcerers to combat the threats, and will thus be creating an order for the likeminded.

I haven't settled on any name yet, and any suggestions / imput from you guys would be a tremendous help. Perhaps something like the Azure Gauntlet, in honour of Azuth, hehe.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    velmorn wrote: »
    Glad you've got an interest in the project as well!

And hello again everyone - pardon for the huge (cough) amount of inactivity lately, but I've been quite busy with a few side-projects IRL, but here I am again.

Right, so I have decided that my own character, Velmorn Ordal, is War Wizard of Cormyr having travelling to the Sword Coast in the wake of this new calamity. He'll be gathering fellow wizards / sorcerers to combat the threats, and will thus be creating an order for the likeminded.

I haven't settled on any name yet, and any suggestions / imput from you guys would be a tremendous help. Perhaps something like the Azure Gauntlet, in honour of Azuth, hehe.

Big fan of the WW build myself (and still awaiting more info in the game builds to decide which type of wizard I make...all I know is whatever one had that black hole suck the weapons in and spit them back at the baddies daily power is the one I want :) )
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • avet85avet85 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This is amazing idea. I'am all in. I have played D&D for 15 years, mostly aD&D and 2nd edtion. My friends and I never bothered to look past 3.5. I haven't looked at the new 4th edition, but I will before the game is released. It will be great to have strong mage guild with ranks and everything, and I want to be there from the start. I'll continue to read this post,and help with bringing this guild to life. :)
  • velmornvelmorn Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Sounds good Avet! I hope more people will be interested as time goes by.

I know I'm terrible with names, but what does people think of "the Azure Gauntlet"?

Suggestions for a name is welcome!
    edited June 2012
    velmorn wrote: »
    Sounds good Avet! I hope more people will be interested as time goes by.

I know I'm terrible with names, but what does people think of "the Azure Gauntlet"?

Suggestions for a name is welcome!

I like it, but since blue is my favorite color (once had a DDO character with the first name of my favorite blue, Cerulean,) I could be biased on this :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]