Favorite fighter build?

werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2012 in The Militia Barracks
what is your favorite fighter build?
for me, my favorite has got to be chain fighter
21.jpg
Post edited by werealchemist on

Comments

• iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Same here. In several other threads, I posted some awesome MC Chain power feats. Mix that with a swashbuckling-based fighter, then you're mobile and deadly!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    In 3.5e it was Great sword blacksmith weapon master who only knows how to craft great-swords.

In 4e, I haven't tried fighter a lot, but weapon specializations do look nice. They have made that part more extensive imo.
  • nimlohnimloh Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    Two-handed bludgeoning. Give me a big slow hammer or mace and I'm happy.
  • alateraalatera Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Using pathfinder, I successfully created a spear grappling fighter. Starting at level 6, it would only do one attack per round, but that attack would do some pretty heavy damage, and with the feat Hamatula strike or grasp (can't remember which one right now) I was able to make a free grapple check to impale my target with my spear whenever I attacked. Other feats allowed me to make attacks with the weapon I used to impale my target with. So, while my target was impaled on my long spear, I was still able to do my one attack per round while he could literally do nothing except try to break the grapple.

I really only made a fighter like that in hopes that our rogue would use my grappling maneuvers to his advantage so he could run up behind for a flanking bonus, quickly taking down one target at a time in a systematic kind of order. What I didn't plan for was our rogue wanting to actually be a fighter. -_-
    edited May 2012
    alatera wrote: »
    ... so he could run up behind for a flanking bonus, quickly taking down one target ... . What I didn't plan for was our rogue wanting to actually be a fighter. -_-

A rogue who doesn't likes back of enemy! How rare - you just sighted an endangered species! I believe that is much more important than game :O

[Sorry for going off-topic, couldn't resist. lol]
  • wulfewulfe Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Gruff, in your face straight up fighter. Dwarven battlerager types.... i miss the 2nd ed write up for them
  • werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    alatera wrote: »
    Using pathfinder, I successfully created a spear grappling fighter. Starting at level 6, it would only do one attack per round, but that attack would do some pretty heavy damage, and with the feat Hamatula strike or grasp (can't remember which one right now) I was able to make a free grapple check to impale my target with my spear whenever I attacked. Other feats allowed me to make attacks with the weapon I used to impale my target with. So, while my target was impaled on my long spear, I was still able to do my one attack per round while he could literally do nothing except try to break the grapple.

here is my chain fighter build from pathfinder ( the the best of my memory it's been a while) this is at lvl 10 basically i just try to keep em on the ground while allys kill em
    pathfinder wrote:
    KORWIN CHELLIN CR 9
    Male Human Fighter 10
    CN Medium Humanoid (Human)
    Init +3; Senses Perception +6
    DEFENSE
    AC 20, touch 14, flat-footed 16 (+6 armor, +3 Dex, +1 dodge)
    hp 68 (10d10+10)
    Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +3
    Defensive Abilities Bravery +3
    OFFENSE
    Spd 30 ft.
    Melee (S) Chain, Spiked +5/+0 (1d6+4/20/x2) and
    (S) Chain, Spiked +5 (1d6+3/20/x2) and
    Gauntlet (from Armor) +13/+8 (1d3+2/20/x2) and
    Unarmed Strike +13/+8 (1d3+2/20/x2)
    Special Attacks Weapon Training: Double, Weapon Training: Flails
    STATISTICS
    Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 11, Cha 12
    Base Atk +10; CMB +12 (+14 Repositioning+16 Tripping); CMD 26 (28 vs. Reposition28 vs. Trip)
    Feats Combat Expertise +/-3, Combat Reflexes (4 AoO/round), Dodge, Greater Trip, Improved Reposition, Improved Trip, Lunge, Mobility, Repositioning Strike, Spring Attack, Two-weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse
    Skills Acrobatics +4, Appraise +3, Bluff +5, Climb +4, Disguise +6, Escape Artist +2, Fly +0, Heal +5, Intimidate +8, Perception +6, Ride +5, Sense Motive +4, Stealth +0, Survival +6, Swim +7
    Languages Common, Dwarven
    SQ Armor Training 2 (Ex)
    Combat Gear Chain, Spiked, Chain, Spiked, Chainmail;
    SPECIAL ABILITIES
    Armor Training 2 (Ex) Worn armor -2 check penalty, +2 max DEX.
    Bravery +3 (Ex) +3 Will save vs. Fear
    Combat Expertise +/-3 Bonus to AC in exchange for an equal penalty to attack.
    Combat Reflexes (4 AoO/round) You may make up to 4 attacks of opportunity per round, and may make them while flat-footed.
    Greater Trip +2 to Trip, target provokes AoO when tripped.
    Improved Reposition Reposition at +2, without an attack of opportunity.
    Improved Trip You Trip at +2 and don't cause an attack of opportunity.
    Lunge -2 to AC for +5' reach
    Mobility +4 to AC against some attacks of opportunity.
    Repositioning Strike Critical hit's confirmation roll is a Reposition maneuver check.
    Spring Attack You can move - attack - move when attacking with a melee weapon.
    Weapon Training: Double +1 (Ex) +1 Attack, Damage, CMB, CMD with Double weapons
    Weapon Training: Flails +2 (Ex) +2 Attack, Damage, CMB, CMD with Flails
    21.jpg
  • xulumachxulumach Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Personally I like the battlerage fighter... Its perfect for dwarves and such, they are nigh impossible to kill, and they hit like a bus...
    edited May 2012
    xulumach wrote: »
    impossible to kill

Welcome to 4e, where gods are not that difficult to kill, en masse.
  • arajirarajir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    My personal preferences are the brawler and arena fighters.
    Hope they are going to implement one of them since they both give a strong unortodox street-fighting feeling the other options lack.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    arajir wrote: »
    My personal preferences are the brawler and arena fighters.
    Hope they are going to implement one of them since they both give a strong unortodox street-fighting feeling the other options lack.

*Agreed* I think the Arena fighter options would work best in the porting to a computer game. You'd gain any bonuses with specialty weapon feat(trees) to all weapons as well as a +2 prof bonus to hit and 1d8 damage 1h 1d10 damage 2h for all weapons not trained in as improvised (so for fighter, any exotic or superior weapons become usable with those base damage 1h/2h amounts however adjusted for the game attk/dmg scale.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    I want a luchador build. Barehanded with the exception of the occasional folding chair attack.
  • aavarius1aavarius1 Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2012
    vangald wrote: »
    I want a luchador build. Barehanded with the exception of the occasional folding chair attack.

Isn't that basically what the arena fighter build is in the Dark Sun Campaign Setting book? (Not that it wouldn't be awesome to have, of course).
    edited May 2012
    I don't know. I have never messed with Dark Sun.
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Dwarf Dreadnought Adamantine Soldier!

... none of this will be in at launch x'(

Probably I'll have to settle with an Iron Vanguard.
  • eshnickeshnick Member Posts: 54
    edited June 2012
    THF Dwarf using greataxe. Nothing quite like swinging once and killing 3-5 mobs. b:laugh
    edited June 2012
    eshnick wrote: »
    THF Dwarf using greataxe. Nothing quite like swinging once and killing 3-5 mobs. laugh

There is one more advantage. You saw those 10 feet long werewolves in the trailers? They will easily trip when trying to run towards ... whatever non-dwarf they can see.

*raises the Shield in anticipation of massive dwarf attack*

*has second though and lowers the shield while in guard position*
  • varadelarmgovaradelarmgo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    A cleric with the War and Strength domains. A better fighter than the fighter.
  • ezgoezitezgoezit Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    We had a cleric go the war/str domain route in our 4e campain and we found that the cleric wasn't very sticky and had trouble compensating for the punishment fighters can deal for ignoring their marks.

I bet a war/str cleric would be great for solo play though.
  • varadelarmgovaradelarmgo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    ezgoezit wrote: »
    We had a cleric go the war/str domain route in our 4e campain and we found that the cleric wasn't very sticky and had trouble compensating for the punishment fighters can deal for ignoring their marks.

I bet a war/str cleric would be great for solo play though.

I agree, 4e sucks as an edition.
    edited June 2012
    Having a class play outside its role on a very specific example does not commend or condemn an entire edition, nor was that what the quoted poster necessarily meant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    Having a class play outside its role on a very specific example does not commend or condemn an entire edition, nor was that what the quoted poster necessarily meant.

I guess its more of a meme ever since that 4e war started when pnp was released. I don't really think the poster even meant that. Makes me remember saying the same when I first found clerics lost their full plates ...

4e is not good or bad. Its just different and not an expansion pack to 3e. So it is both good and bad.
    edited June 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    There is one more advantage. You saw those 10 feet long werewolves in the trailers? They will easily trip when trying to run towards ... whatever non-dwarf they can see.

*raises the Shield in anticipation of massive dwarf attack*

*has second though and lowers the shield while in guard position*

Lowered the shield too late. Kiss your kneecap good-bye b:shocked
  • viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    My preferred fighter build is a fighter/ weapon master.

I'm not familiar with 4e rules but in 3.5e it was a good solid build. Multiclass with cleric for personal buffs, or bard for much the same result with a bit of arcane thrown in for spice.

I'm really hoping for multiclassing options or at the least a wide variety of class paths.

DnD has always been great for huge variety in builds, it helps in not every fighter or cleric or wizard being and doing the same thing.

Variety needs to be a key element in this game, variety in class builds, spells, skills, feats, and last but not least foundry resources.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    eshnick wrote: »
    Lowered the shield too late. Kiss your kneecap good-bye b:shocked

ouch... at least its not something worse ...
  • uchtreduchtred Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    My favorite fighter build was a knight with a code of conduct and/or code of chivalry. This does not necessarily mean he is good but with a few exceptions he has been.

An alternate build of fighter i have enjoyed is a Mercenary Warrior from a foreign land. He will wear a specticaled spangenhelm, Haubrek, quilted cotun, Sparth Axe or Pole Axe, He will have a long quiver on his back with three Javelins. A description of this fellow below:

Valiant and hardy ... great endurer of cold, labour and all hardness, very active and strong of hand, very swift of foot. A man of great stature, of more than ordinary strength of limb... Grim of countenance, tall of stature, big of limb, burly of body, well and strong timbered chiefly feeding on Beef, butter and bread.
    edited June 2012
    uchtred wrote: »
    My favorite fighter build was a knight with a code of conduct and/or code of chivalry. This does not necessarily mean he is good but with a few exceptions he has been.

An alternate build of fighter i have enjoyed is a Mercenary Warrior from a foreign land. He will wear a specticaled spangenhelm, Haubrek, quilted cotun, Sparth Axe or Pole Axe, He will have a long quiver on his back with three Javelins. A description of this fellow below:

Valiant and hardy ... great endurer of cold, labour and all hardness, very active and strong of hand, very swift of foot. A man of great stature, of more than ordinary strength of limb... Grim of countenance, tall of stature, big of limb, burly of body, well and strong timbered chiefly feeding on Beef, butter and bread.

Outstanding! I look forward to casting my spells of arcane might beside him while you fight with great resolve once Neverwinter goes live.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • adamantium1adamantium1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I would be honored to have you by my side this will be my account instead of uchtred. Think i have finally fixed the issue.
    edited June 2012
    My favorite fighter build is the one that hits stuff.
    edited June 2012
    uchtred wrote: »
    ...A man of great stature, of more than ordinary strength of limb... Grim of countenance, tall of stature, big of limb, burly of body, well and strong timbered chiefly feeding on Beef, butter and bread.

Dwarves are so much simpler to describe. They're short, fat, and drink lots of ale. LOTS of ale! Some ale, please? b:laugh