test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game Engine

wulfewulfe Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited June 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Honestly am hoping the game engine for this game is NOT like champions or STO
Post edited by wulfe on

Comments

• macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    I think the base is the same. But why u said that ??
  • torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    According to several gamer site articles it will use a modified version of the Cryptic Engine that drives STO. Sounds fine to me.
  • vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I don't think they'd waste money on purchacing a licence for another engine, when their own is pretty decent and ofc free for them to use.

I especially wouldn't want them to use PWE's Angelica, because that fossil of an engine is awful (though it does give ppl some lolz when it runs better on an i3 machine than on an i7 one XD)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    They are using the same engine as with their other MMOs, this has already been stated. The demos showed some real good gameplay footage so pointless to discuss this.
  • stormshadestormshade Member, Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    We're using the Cryptic Engine. The Game looks and plays really well right now. I can't wait for you all to get your hot little hands on it!

Thanks,

Stormshade
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Good news!

Can you tell us Shade if the E3 hype train will contain the exact dates for closed beta and possibly open beta?

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • stormshadestormshade Member, Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Nope, I can not.

Thanks,

Stormshade
  • admosxadmosx Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Well seen as how the look of STO has been greatly improve compare to when it first launch..

I would have to agree with using it again, not because it saves you guys money than going with a 3rd party engine but I would say its a pretty solid engine, that just need fine tuning for what Neverwinter is looking to accomplish...

Keep up the good work guys!!
  • torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    admosx wrote: »
    Well seen as how the look of STO has been greatly improve compare to when it first launch..

I would have to agree with using it again, not because it saves you guys money than going with a 3rd party engine but I would say its a pretty solid engine, that just need fine tuning for what Neverwinter is looking to accomplish...

Keep up the good work guys!!

Agreed. I play STO some and I like the engine and the look of the game. There are some things I would like to see improved, such as USB sound switching requiring a client restart, but overall it's a very decent engine.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Member Posts: 601 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Been playing Champions mostly. STO looks good, Champions runs quite well. Don't understand the desire of the OP if the Cryptic engine will be used. Of course, it's a solid engine. God forbid they use the Hero Engine, that's a POS. I doubt Blizzard even lets anyone use their own personal engine, and Unreal engine is so hacked that developers would, to be blunt, have to be desperate to use it because they would never be able to stop exploiters and hackers.
  • vindevereauxxvindevereauxx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Been playing Champions mostly. STO looks good, Champions runs quite well. Don't understand the desire of the OP if the Cryptic engine will be used. Of course, it's a solid engine. God forbid they use the Hero Engine, that's a POS. I doubt Blizzard even lets anyone use their own personal engine, and Unreal engine is so hacked that developers would, to be blunt, have to be desperate to use it because they would never be able to stop exploiters and hackers.

QFT.

I'm also very fond of Champions, and it really does look very good.
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    as long as it aint the warhammer or GW2 engine, id be happy with that, i hate skipping when im supposed to be running + wahammer looks like crapola, pretty much how dissapointing GW2 was!, aye Champions, STO running animation have got that downpat FTW.
  • trollololloltrollolollol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    Whats wrong with it? I think they can make own kind of games with it, one reason why Im here, Cryptics engine is honestly the reason why Im so excited.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Only thing I dodn't like with the engine was the occasional bad camera angles if you kept it on default view in STO, but the rest was fine as engnes go. From what I saw of the videos for NW, those angles looked fine when you were fighting in an action combat, and that's what matters most to my worries. I'm sure their modified engine will do very well with NW. As to if I'd like the gameplay or not, I have to try it first.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Only thing I dodn't like with the engine was the occasional bad camera angles if you kept it on default view in STO, but the rest was fine as engnes go. From what I saw of the videos for NW, those angles looked fine when you were fighting in an action combat, and that's what matters most to my worries. I'm sure their modified engine will do very well with NW. As to if I'd like the gameplay or not, I have to try it first.

I don't know about STO, but in CO the viewing and controls are amazing! And customisable too. Almost anything and everything can be customised. Initially I was annoyed as the camera was not to my liking, but I soon found that I just had to check some checkboxes in option and make a few changes, define some hotkeys and lo! the controls were exactly how I wanted.

I don't like the jump with their game engine though - it doesn't feel realistic. When someone makes a jump, while falling down, you are supposed to accelerate - having hang time in air at top then falling down with increasing speed. Jump in CO is like a ballet dancer's jump of flying in air at same speed. If only there was a checkbox for gravitational jump...
  • aralixaralix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 45
    edited May 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    If only there was a checkbox for gravitational jump...

and a portal gun.... fly anyone?
    The truth will EAT you!
    328894f9-2005-4d27-a221-67ec37aa20f9_zpse7d8f150.jpg
  • seikilosseikilos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Aren't STO and CO a little more on the "point-and-click" side than on the "action-based combat" side? If Cryptic uses the same engine, wouldn't NWO be the same?
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    seikilos wrote: »
    Aren't STO and CO a little more on the "point-and-click" side than on the "action-based combat" side? If Cryptic uses the same engine, wouldn't NWO be the same?

Cryptic has said (and their demos have shown) NWO is action-based responsed instead of point and click based. This coupled with the Cryptic customization options (including the STO camera checkbox options which is why I mentioned the default view in STO) for viewing/movement meaning NEW very action-oriented fun potentially indeed!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • seikilosseikilos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Cryptic has said (and their demos have shown) NWO is action-based responsed instead of point and click based. This coupled with the Cryptic customization options (including the STO camera checkbox options which is why I mentioned the default view in STO) for viewing/movement meaning NEW very action-oriented fun potentially indeed!

Oh cool.

/10char
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    seikilos wrote: »

Its more of tab and click with flying, running etc (like DDO) rather than point and click. You can play it as point and click by adjusting UI too. (I don't like controls where mouse-look is not toggled), but by adjusting control UI you can play it like many online games with active combat.

But neverwinter will not have any tab - all the action would be by manual targeting. So it is going to be very active combat based game, may be first for online RPG perhaps.