test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Solo or Group, RP, PVP, PK, PVE?

higherfasternowhigherfasternow Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Im sure most of you know as much about this game as I do... which is next to nothing. I've watched all the media releases and it is my hope that this is the WoW killer right here. But that isn't the point of this post really. What I was wondering is what what is your style of play? Are you a solo campaigner or do you prefer the more social setting of a group romping through dungeons ? And after that when your character starts to develop into what you have envisioned, what do you do next? do you role-play? or PVP, maybe you find the biggest and baddest monsters to slay? or do you pick fights with random players?

I myself am a bit of a solo player. It seems to me that if you don't get a group of friends right from the beginning of an MMO it gets hard to find one. I'd love to fight some big boss type characters with a small group, really immerse myself into my character, and dare I say it role-play a bit too. And once I get powerful enough, then I'd like to play against other characters, hopefully we can reset our skills throughout leveling up so we don't get stuck with a sucky character in end game.

Anyways just wondering your thoughts.

Babble babble babble
Post edited by higherfasternow on

Comments

• aralixaralix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 45
    edited May 2012
    i prefer grouping
    and though i accept its sometimes more efficient to solo, i hate the idea of playing a mmo solo
    i might as well play something like skyrim which has no online feature
    The truth will EAT you!
    328894f9-2005-4d27-a221-67ec37aa20f9_zpse7d8f150.jpg
  • aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I prefer grouping as well, but don't like PUGs. I tend to play with a small group of close friends. And in the absence of that I'll solo. I doubt this will be the wow killer, but wouldn't that be nice if it was? I'm sure Cryptic and PW would like that as well!

I enjoy a bit of role play, but not the extreme. I'm a bit selective about the things that get role played actually. I enjoy walking where it makes sense to walk (cities, indoors (banks, taverns)). And I do enjoy a game that allows my character to actually "sit" in a chair. It makes taverns so much more interactive. There is a thread on this forum about games to play "inside" Neverwinter. To me it would be a real novel thing to be able to sit in a tavern and play dice games. Or card games. But I don't get so into character that I talk like an elf or dwarf or whatnot. I've never been that hard core.

PvP does sound intreging, but I've not participated in PvP of any sort since UO, many years ago. DDO does pvp as arena fights, and that's not my idea of fun. I'd be more interested in the UO style of PvP (personally).

That said, I've never enjoyed the outright PK'er mentality either. And UO was full to the brim with that. So PK doesn't interest me. Although if there were a way to restrict PK'ing but still have open PvP, I'd be interested in that.

And as a D&D fan, I'm mostly interested in the PVE. I love the story, to follow the quest through and savour the adventure experience.
  • tuukkasalonentuukkasalonen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    small groups + RP for me :P

And i trust to say that there isn't game what could kill WoW...It haz so much players and even when mist of pandaria goes out people leave it it wont be enough
    I am inactive and I know it
  • talsictalsic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2012
    I like to do a combination of solo and grouping depending on my mood. I prefer to be in Role-Play mode at all times except maybe after I have been with a guild for a while. I usually establish guild friends later in game that I like to do raiding or PVP raids with.

This is really hard to describe without saying what I don't like. I dislike strangers in game walking up to you or shouting I want this or that whether your asking for a handout, selling something, or looking for group. If you are going to ask me to group or for a hand out for goodness sake Role-Play it. I always say no to folks that have the approach "hey dude could you......". I much rather have "I was out doing a job for Graff the Blacksmith and was attacked by bandits, could you spare so gold to help me get back on my feet". Oh, and make sure you are dressed in rags when you do it instead of the latest fancy plate mail. If someone actually did that I might give them all the gold I had as opposed to bonking them on the head.
  • aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    talsic wrote:
    "I was out doing a job for Graff the Blacksmith and was attacked by bandits, could you spare so gold to help me get back on my feet". Oh, and make sure you are dressed in rags when you do it instead of the latest fancy plate mail. If someone actually did that I might give them all the gold I had as opposed to bonking them on the head.

I love this! That's awesome! And so true. I'd be way more likely to lend a hand up if this was the encounter.
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    I ussually play MMO's with my irl friends and hopefully it will happen in Neverwinter too :)

I like grouping more but yeah sometimes i like to do solo quests aswell. i also dont like to create multiple characters, ussually i just keep growing my main one.

And yeah, the last game i actually did harcore PVP was on UO aswell all games after UO i never did much again :/ And to be honest im not planning to do it again.

Finnally, beside some guild events i dont actually do much RP.
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    Bit of both solo n group. Having a good mix of both is very crucial for any MMO.

More into PvE rather than PvP however I frimly beleive that for any game to really compete, survive, or whatever you have to have PvP as that is one of the main pillars in MMOs. Also fighting the same scripted fight for hte 20th time isn't fun, PvP is unscripted and you never know what you'll get out of the encounter which is why I firmly believe that PvP is the true content.

As for RPing... well never done that in an MMO so NWO will be a first as I really think that if there is any MMO that one needs to RP with in order to really make full use of it is here.
  • mccalmccal Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I am a completionist as that usually means i solo a lot but love grouping when it benefits the group or when i can find people happy enough to enjoy spending time just stuffing around or having fun either chatting or killing monsters
  • perdidurperdidur Member Posts: 67
    edited May 2012
    I tend to solo a lot but I do enjoy grouping on a regular basis. Of course it all depend upon who you group with.
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    I'm more of a solo player than a group player. I will play with a small group on occasion if I can find some good people to form a group with.

Mostly PvE is what I like to do, however I could do some PvP if it made sense within the story, such as the other Player is the leader of an opposing faction.

I would be playing to RP, sort of the point of an RPG, but I am not hardcore about it. I only do that in the game itself, I don't carry that over into the forums.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • care9care9 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I've always enjoyed both solo play and group play.

I enjoy solo play because I can just worry about myself and do things how I want to do them. there's no need to keep an eye out for other players and make sure everybody is doing what they're supposed to be doing. You can sit back, relax and go at your own pace and do your own thing.

I enjoy group play because I enjoy the social activities that come with the games. I'd prefer smaller groups to large groups as you can go through a games content with a few friends and not have to slug together a load of guys in an attempt to get anywhere.

There's both pros and cons to both, which is why I enjoy both. It just depends what sort of mood I am in at the time and whether or not I enjoy the people I play with.
  • danceofthefallendanceofthefallen Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I enjoy solo mostly. It seems that when you Group the content of the game gets rushed through. Someone is always rushing to the next quest and skipping dialog. They know exactly where to go and what to do. This tends to take the mystery and adventure out of the game and it becomes almost soley combat based (defeat the next monster).

That being said I do enjoy groups when dungeon diving where the combat IS the main point and the role playing and dialog part of the quest are mostly finished. As long as the group members are good.

I wonder how the AI henchmen will work. Will it be only in dungeons or will you be able to use them in the sandbox? What about PVP with AI henchmen? Sort of off topic, but ties into the soloing.
  • torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I love to have solo adventures where I can wander off, do my own thing, and create my own stories.

Grouping with guildies and the occasional stranger is fun too. I really enjoy wandering into overland adventures and helping others with whatever is going on whether it is a quest or just a battle, and then moving on.

I typically like to talk to others in sort of character and do light rp as I adventure, but I'm not really the kind to sit and act out heavy rp sessions in the tavern or in town.

Not really into PvP anymore. My first MMO was Lineage and had fun with pvp in that game, but really just enjoy pve now.
  • mzeeusikumzeeusiku Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 38
    edited May 2012
    I would like to keep separate characters for all that stuff. I COH I was in a guild, Alt Addicts! The best thing about that is you get to do all those things.

I like pugs, keeps you on your toes. Most times if you don't expect too much going in, you get a lot more coming out. At least that works for me. I know how bad it can be...

That said, I would love to have a mob of people that I play with regularly, but as someone said earlier, if you don't get in with that group, you may be left behind, and not be able to continue. I have the feeling that the community will have the regular Tuesday night groups. I for one have sent this over to many of my friends who I used to play with back in the day. I hope because its F2P that we can get our old gang together and really have some fun.

Gasp! I would even be willing to ...DM!

P.S. If I am doing solo, what am I playing an MMO for?
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I do all playstyles except PK (thanks to UO ruining that experience to me being fun.) With D&D, PvP doesn't work for me, but if you can integrate it into the storyline (outside arenas which are the watered-down PvP and always in some MMO game D&D or not) I'd do it too.

I do prefer mixing it up when it comes to solo, group, guild and/or PUG's. One thing that is consistant is I always come up with an excelent character back-story, and play to heavily role-play in this NWO game since it is D&D. Other MMO's role-playing amount vary on how they are set up (for insance in STO, not so much as there isn't much supporting it, but I have been known to call a "bubble alert" in character when somebody uses a "party popper" that spews bubbles while we're in a local area....and if you have to ask what I mean, it would just be quicker for you to download the game and hang out in Starfleet Academy around the bank/exchnge area.)

Finally, I prefer completionist over zerg, and would rather take my time and make sure the group enjoies the experience than rush it. If everybody (and I do mean everybody) else wants to rush a scenario we've completed 36 times before, then I would consider a rush-job, but never if we're IC.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    RP - yes, but with a static/semistatic group or RP server. Otherwise most frustrating thing is finding people who are not like minded and impose their ideas what is and what not RP, all the while talking ooc while playing RP.

Completion - Even if I kill an troll with 50% health remaining, I would go back and do it solo to find most efficient way to kill it. That is the only reason I solo.

PvP/PK - PvP not until it is combo based fast action like. Bored of hotbar PvP and just dont like it anymore. Rusty Hearts like PvP is better where postion, animation time, combo/ running away etc matter a lot (another was Rune(2000) - videogame). Don't like PK, leaves a bad aftertaste.

Group - Always. That is what I really would play an online game for. Even bad groups. That is what makes a map played hundreds of times different each time.

PvE - Should be tough with Good AI, and not cheats like giving immunities to mobs and increasing health. And story of-course. But there is foundry and thus even if it is lacking, we can all come up with something to make up for it.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2012
    I loathe forced teaming and will not participate in anything that "Requires" a team to do and experience - regardless if I can find a team or not. I do not like PUGs and will not participate in that bull donkey either. Forcing a playstyle is not something I am fond of, at all. Keep the game applicable to Soloers, Casuals and Groupers alike and it will succeed. Try and segregate the Dungeons & Dragons players, and you will fail. Nothing I hate worse than when an original design is changed from one play-style to another, foregoing all others.

Dungeons & Dragons is meant to be played with at least one player (and one Dungeons Master). In the case of an MMO, the DM is the Computer. Do not forsake those who either prefer or usually can only play as one. Heck, one of my FR PnP Campaigns was played for 3 years with just me as the DM and my best friend as the player. Then another friend joined in and we three continued to play that same FR Campaign for a total of 14 years, just us.

What concerns me the most so far is this talk about these end-act "Raids" - I am already feeling a bit of disappointment here /begin sarcasm just what we need in EVERY MMO... more raids... yay.. /end sarcasm I am a bit thankful that PvP won't be in at release. Hopefully it will never make it, but I am sure it will and it will screw up PvE, as it always seems to.

Just because a game is online and an MMO doesn't mean one should have to group or pvp. There is far more to playing an online social game than grouping and pvping and anyone that shuns casuals and soloers for playing online games, but do not like to group or pvp, has a very narrow perception of social interaction.
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    I loathe forced teaming and will not participate in anything that "Requires" a team to do and experience - regardless if I can find a team or not. I do not like PUGs and will not participate in that bull donkey either. Forcing a playstyle is not something I am fond of, at all. Keep the game applicable to Soloers, Casuals and Groupers alike and it will succeed. Try and segregate the Dungeons & Dragons players, and you will fail. Nothing I hate worse than when an original design is changed from one play-style to another, foregoing all others.

Dungeons & Dragons is meant to be played with at least one player (and one Dungeons Master). In the case of an MMO, the DM is the Computer. Do not forsake those who either prefer or usually can only play as one. Heck, one of my FR PnP Campaigns was played for 3 years with just me as the DM and my best friend as the player. Then another friend joined in and we three continued to play that same FR Campaign for a total of 14 years, just us.

What concerns me the most so far is this talk about these end-act "Raids" - I am already feeling a bit of disappointment here /begin sarcasm just what we need in EVERY MMO... more raids... yay.. /end sarcasm I am a bit thankful that PvP won't be in at release. Hopefully it will never make it, but I am sure it will and it will screw up PvE, as it always seems to.

Just because a game is online and an MMO doesn't mean one should have to group or pvp. There is far more to playing an online social game than grouping and pvping and anyone that shuns casuals and soloers for playing online games, but do not like to group or pvp, has a very narrow perception of social interaction.

If you don't like grouping or having to play with others then why are you here and not off in some single player RPG game? MMO is percussively that, playing with others hence the 2nd M... Multiplayer.
    edited May 2012
    If you don't like grouping or having to play with others then why are you here and not off in some single player RPG game? MMO is percussively that, playing with others hence the 2nd M... Multiplayer.

This has to be one of the most thoughtless comments someone can make. He was asked his opinion and gave it. While you don't have to agree with it and are free to enjoy your own preferences I think it's really rude to basically dismiss his because you don't understand or agree with it.

There is most certainly room for the lone wolf in D&D and in most any online game. Multiplayer means more than one player not some prosaic contrived idea about "grouping".
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2012

I do believe the last paragraph of mine, that you quoted, is as good of an answer that you will get from me.

I will add this though:
    I fail to see the "G" or the "P" in "MMO." It stands for "Massively Multiplayer Online." It does not stand for "Massively Multiplayer Groups Online" or "Massively Multiplayer Parties Online."
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    I loathe forced teaming...

What concerns me the most so far is this talk about these end-act "Raids" ...
    I am a bit thankful that PvP won't be in at release. Hopefully it will never make it, but I am sure it will and it will screw up PvE, as it always seems to.

There won't be a forced teaming.

Devs have already confirmed that game would be solo-friendly (i.e. all maps could be run solo). However, imo, party is bound to make things easy comparatively.

From what I understand from interviews, it seems raids are possible to make, but might not be there in initial launch.

I am also skeptic about pvp when not build up into the game from basics but from what devs say in interview, pvp would be relevant.
    edited June 2012
    I understand people who like to be able to solo and as far i understand from dev interviews that will possible, actually maybe this will be one of the first games that u can actually do everything solo (beside delves i believe), so people who like to solo should be rly happy about neverwinter.

But one thing i must say, pnp D&D is all about gather a party and go adventure, as far i know theres not a single official adventure bellow 3 players.

About PVP, well pnp doesnt rly seems to have PVP but if u look in a diferent way theres PVP in pnp, in almost all adventures ive played our party eventually find another group of adventures, bodyguards, etc... to fight (NPC's) ofc this group are not players but in an MMO they can be.

Im a team player but im also VERY glad to have solo friendly option and for those who dont actually like to team up in a MMO i rly believe NWO will please u a lot :)
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    delves will be an option at the end of a "chapter" of the campaign where up to five players can do that challenging thing like a dungeon crawl of epic challenge. There don't seem to be Raids per se' but this. Whether it will work and if it's repeatable at level cap we have yet to see.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    macabrivs wrote: »
    But one thing i must say, pnp D&D is all about gather a party and go adventure, as far i know theres not a single official adventure bellow 3 players.

List of D&D Modules <site:wikipedia.org> Just ctrl-f and type in 'solo'.

When I first started playing AD&D (1st edition) in junior high there were 3 or 4 of us who would play together. All but two of us lost interest in it so my friend and I would play together taking turns as DM. Sometimes the DM would control extra npc adventurers, sometimes the player would control a couple characters, and sometimes we would just take a character through a solo adventure. We didn't need a horde to play.

After I moved away and didn't find anyone else to play with I still ran adventures by myself. D&D, and rpg gaming, is probably different for everyone. For me it's about creating my own adventures whether it's with other people or by myself.

I love to group, but mostly with friends. While I'll pug sometimes, I value my gaming time and don't necessarily want to go where a random group of strangers wants to wander.
    edited June 2012
    torskaldr wrote: »
    List of D&D Modules <site:wikipedia.org> Just ctrl-f and type in 'solo'.

When I first started playing AD&D (1st edition) in junior high there were 3 or 4 of us who would play together. All but two of us lost interest in it so my friend and I would play together taking turns as DM. Sometimes the DM would control extra npc adventurers, sometimes the player would control a couple characters, and sometimes we would just take a character through a solo adventure. We didn't need a horde to play.

After I moved away and didn't find anyone else to play with I still ran adventures by myself. D&D, and rpg gaming, is probably different for everyone. For me it's about creating my own adventures whether it's with other people or by myself.

I love to group, but mostly with friends. While I'll pug sometimes, I value my gaming time and don't necessarily want to go where a random group of strangers wants to wander.

Well having 4-5 solo adventures doesnt change my opinion, D&D is all about gather a party and go adventure. But yes i agree thats not "doable" on an MMO but it seems NWO will have plenty of solo content so we shouldnt worry about it :)

The bad news for u is that u will probrably have to team up eventually to do some content.
    edited June 2012
    macabrivs wrote: »
    Well having 4-5 solo adventures doesnt change my opinion, D&D is all about gather a party and go adventure. But yes i agree thats not "doable" on an MMO but it seems NWO will have plenty of solo content so we shouldnt worry about it :)

The bad news for u is that u will probrably have to team up eventually to do some content.

I group and run dungeons all the time in RIFT with my guild. We pick up pugs sometimes for randoms. Group content isn't a worry for me. I like to play with guildies a lot more than strangers and I don't like my solo time to be wasted, but group content is fine with me.

I was just pointing out that D&D isn't all about grouping and there were official solo modules way back when.