test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Poll #4: The Foundry

aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
edited May 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
The Foundry: Where are the Dreamweavers?

Well, this game is unique to DDO in two main areas, 4e and the Foundry. The Foundry is this games main hook imho to keep this game relevant in the coming years.

1. Who actually has plans to use the Foundry to create content in Neverwinter ??

2. Would you pay real life money to create this content?

3. Give us a precursory glimpse into your Foundry project (s). Something perhaps to look forward to.

4. Have you ever utilized the Foundry in Neverwinter Nights I or II?

5. DM Voice. Do you want it to properly tell your story? How could this be implemented at no cost to Cryptic, who would certainly need to have a way to "police" it.

6. Bioware just about gave Neverwinter Nights dreamweavers free reign. If the Foundry is too limited and users can't make their own furniture or models and import them, the Foundry may never see much use. If that's the case, then should they scrap "The Foundry" and just add more content to the game instead of wasting resources, if they aren't willing to empower the community?

7. That is the #1 reason Neverwinter Nights is still arguably considered, the greatest and longest running D&D/RPG of all time, the community and user created content. Agree or Disagree? Why?

8. PW/Cryptic has recently taken extra effort to distance itself away from 4e and from the Neverwinter Nights franchise. Is this wise considering many of the best dreamweavers may be the ones who created content for NWN I&II? How does Cryptic properly promote this game to lure the best content creators of NWN I and II? Or should they just forget about them and move on?

9. Finally, if you will be creating content for Neverwinter, what do YOU NEED to best succeed in telling your story. Do you think there is "a deal breaker" that would make you NOT want to create any user content?

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
Post edited by aandrethegiant on

Comments

• Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Here's your cut and paste ballot:

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2012

Well, this game is unique to DDO in two main areas, 4e and the Foundry. The Foundry is this games main hook imho to keep this game relevant in the coming years.

1. Who actually has plans to use the Foundry to create content?

3. Give us a precursory glimpse into your Foundry project (s). Something perhaps to look forward to.

5. Bioware just about gave Neverwinter Nights dreamweavers free reign. If the Foundry is too limited and users can't make their own furniture or models and import them, the Foundry may never see much use. If that's the case, then should they scrap "The Foundry" and just add more content to the game instead of wasting resources, if they aren't willing to empower the community?

6. That is the #1 reason Neverwinter Nights is still arguably considered, the greatest and longest running D&D/RPG of all time, the community and user created content.

I choose not to participate in this poll.....

In the future please make sure your poll is complete before you post it.....doing edits on the fly confuses people
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    1. I plan to. Time will tell if that happens or not.

2. No. It's free content (some of which will be of good quality) that helps to keep the game "fresh" while Crytpic adds more stuff. So having some players paying for helping Cryptic... er... no.

3. I do have a campaign idea but I won't develop/comment any ideas until I see first hand what can be done and what not. (it's not drow related, I can say that)

4. Yes (I, not II) but limited and for personal use.

5. No comment.

6. As much content as they may add, players are going to burn it fast. The Foundry gives something to do while Cryptic adds more stuff of whatever kind. Theme Parks need this kind of tool. Just because some don't want to work within the limits, doesn't mean we should be denied the tool.

7. Agree but the reasons have nothing to do with a "classic MMORPG" so they are irrelevant to Neverwinter (for the most part?).

8. NwN I and II creators are not needed at all (but would be welcomed). You only need people who enjoys Neverwinter and that also like to add new adventures to it with some dedication from their part. I heard that users of STO are quite happy with the Foundry stuff.

9. I like choices and consequences that go beyond a single adventure. Its absence wouldn't be a deal breaker but would take away some of the fun of creating linked adventures which is what interests me most rather than single adventures. For the rest, I'll try to be open minded about the options.
  • Options
    aavarius1aavarius1 Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2012
    1. Who actually has plans to use the Foundry to create content in Neverwinter ??

I do.

I'm not aware of any place in which it has been said this will happen, so I think the question is hypothetical. As it stands, my hypothetical answer is "probably."

This is a little hard to answer because my Foundry experience is from STO, where the Foundry is still very much in Beta. I understand NW has all the new Foundry tech and working with it in STO means working with a very limited set of tools. That's not to say that incredible projects aren't possible but that it's important to remember that things are made with a Swiss Army knife and not a full sized collection of tools when planning ahead.

That being said, I'd like to create some very story-heavy missions where I can focus on character development.

Absolutely yes, in both cases.

5. DM Voice. Do you want it to properly tell your story? How could this be implemented at no cost to Cryptic, who would certainly need to have a way to "police" it.

Thinking from the perspective of the dialogue boxes and reach marker text in the STO foundry I don't think it would be too hard for authors to have a narrator or a DM's voice in a mission the players create. I don't think it's critical for story telling but I do think it's a nice option. That being said, I think it really works better when its voice acted, which is not something I expect to have the option to do (but Cryptic will!)

6. Bioware just about gave Neverwinter Nights dreamweavers free reign. If the Foundry is too limited and users can't make their own furniture or models and import them, the Foundry may never see much use. If that's the case, then should they scrap "The Foundry" and just add more content to the game instead of wasting resources, if they aren't willing to empower the community?

First of all, I'm going to answer the implied question in this.

We're not going to be able to import our own models, textures, animations, and so on. We'll have access to what's already in the game and whatever is put into it in future updates. To expect no holds barred modification where you can rip the guts out of the assets, write/skin/model up new ones and bend them to your will is an unreasonable expectation. (But Neverwinter Nights did it!) That's right Neverwinter Nights did it because it was traditional end-user only software. The MMO format is different. it means we won't have to go through the insanity of hak packs, PWC files, and so forth, it'll also be infinitely more accessible to people without technical experience. It also means some of the access to the interworkings of the game that NWN allowed you to tinker with are tied up in the MMO format to keep the play experience controlled and consistent. Moreover, I challenge anyone's memory when they say that NWN gave users "free reign" when it comes to modification. I remember many, many issues people had with limitations of the game.

I say all that above as a preamble to saying that to expect Aurora- or Electron-like functionality isn't sensible. This is a new game in the spirit of Neverwinter Nights, just as NWN was new in the spirit of the original AOL game. The different formats have different limitations and benefits.

So as to the directly asked question, I don't think it'll be a problem. I wouldn't play this game if they scrapped the Foundry.

7. That is the #1 reason Neverwinter Nights is still arguably considered, the greatest and longest running D&D/RPG of all time, the community and user created content. Agree or Disagree? Why?

Agreed, but see my caveats above. They're two different animals.

8. PW/Cryptic has recently taken extra effort to distance itself away from 4e and from the Neverwinter Nights franchise. Is this wise considering many of the best dreamweavers may be the ones who created content for NWN I&II? How does Cryptic properly promote this game to lure the best content creators of NWN I and II? Or should they just forget about them and move on?

As somebody that's been following the progress of this game from the initial press release, I have to say that both points are misleading. Cryptic has said from the beginning that this game isn't Neverwinter Nights 3. And as somebody that's played table top games and their video game iterations it's unreasonable to expect 4th Edition D&D rules to translate in whole to an MMO. As such, Cryptic has never said this would be a game just like 4E. To imply of either of these two things that the distancing was somehow recent is simply incorrect.

I think Cryptic would be better served to be MORE candid about the differences. People that play video games (especially MMOs) create expectations or interpret statements from developers as being absolute, set-in-stone truths. Anybody that's ever done linguistic translation knows that it isn't very exact often times. I think it would help blunt the coming rage when the "this is going to be Neverwinter Nights 3" bubble bursts if they emphasize that this new Neverwinter is created in the spirit of the originals--like a translation from one language to another. Given that some people aren't going to listen regardless of how much advertising you do, I think talking about the game and being candid about its differences serves the double purpose of getting out the word and setting an expectation based in facts at the same time as well as can be expected.

9. Finally, if you will be creating content for Neverwinter, what do YOU NEED to best succeed in telling your story. Do you think there is "a deal breaker" that would make you NOT want to create any user content?

I try not to operate in absolutes, so there aren't really any "deal breakers" for me. What I need is a community of people excited to play my UGC and an interface for creating it that doesn't make me cry myself to sleep at night. Since I'm not getting paid to make UGC I have to have a good time making it and get some form of community validation for doing so to make it worth it.
  • Options
    uallaaaaaauallaauallaaaaaauallaa Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2012

I'd like so, but it depends on what the Foundry will allow to do!

No, of course. Why i should pay to create something? I can understand the F2P policy (even if i never buy anything on F2P games...), but a "pay to create" policy would kill the Neverwinter fans spirit!

See answer #1

I used the Aurora even today... ^_^

I don't know about that, actually. The simple chat was great, to me. Until a dm is present, everything is fine...

Cryptic has to be free to develop the game it want, of course. But The Aurora toolset was the real great thing of Neverwinter Nights 1 (the second one changed a lot and i really never loved it but i know the toolset is very good as well). The NWN vault has always been a must for every NWN lover and builder. I'm playng these days on a PW with lot of custom material. YEARS after the release of NWN 1. And just think to the CEP!

Of course, if the "vanilla" game from Cryptic should have so so so much (free and not bugged) material that it could cover quite every need of builders, it would be another kind of thing. But the Aurora has been used for everything form pre-historic world to Star Wars ones thanks to fans custom material...so....

As i said, i keep on playing NWN 1 online. And always in custom made PW. 'nuff said. ah ah.

It's not Neverwinter Nights 3, we got it. Actually, from what i read around i'm finding very very difficult to see what of that fantastic game remained. I grow up playing Baldurs' Gate and Neverwinter Nights and i really can't love these MMORPG.

This said, PW/Cryptic should feel free to do whatever they want, of course. But they should understand that NWN is far more than a game, it's a community and maybe it was the nearest thing to D&D ever. So, distancing from both the franchise and D&D (but also 4e made D&D fans get angry, i've heard...) it's a bit risky, i think. I think the game will like to last minute players and people who likes the hack and slash without minding to dices, rolls, numbers and bla bla. But a great part of the old players will be a little disappointed, i think.
    For example, i have been, when i saw wonderful graphic in the gaming videos but no dice rolls.... ?_?

Few items, few creatures, few tilesets, etc. But above all, little freedom to customize the modules and to be forced to pay for create them. That would be totally crazy... O.o
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Answers Inline.

Actually, the Foundry is related to STO, so not unique to NWO and DDO, although DDO doesn't have it of course.

I'm on the fence and would have to see how a person who may not develop games naturally well could do.

No. As for in-game currency I earn through playing like STO's Dilithium, uncertain.

Unknown, see answer 1.

Not really, see Answer 1.

I really can't say unless I know what the mechanics can and can't so. Can we have voice-acting? Is it pre-scripted only? Can we narrate and attach? Are we limited to text only? What about pictures? Etc.

Importing is a hack waiting to happen with a now PW MMO-based game. I'd accept internal models if they had many options for items to build and consistently updated content models to use.

Agree. Not only were great games made, but new creatures and game rules too! While I don't expect new rules, who could say what users could make if given a little more flexibility than expected without risking the servers.

Specific links or it didn't happen. Saying they are not NWN3 or inspired by 4E doesn't mean they're turning their back on those, just not fundamental on what was done before. Please offer specific proof before ever saying " taken extra effort to distance itself away from 4e and from the Neverwinter Nights franchise. "

I really don't know enough about the Foundry they will release for this to comment further. Ask me again when they explain this Foundry in more detail.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cybertroll62cybertroll62 Member Posts: 30
    edited May 2012

Hopefully here. Played a bit with NWN1 and ran into issues. NWN2 was even worse.

Yes, and if is a robust, easy to use tool to create vibrant adventures, it will be a huge boon to the game, and will attract a very loyal fan base.

I sure as he"double cowboy boot's" plan on it.

Depends on how much, and what I would get for the investment. If the investment came with editorial assistance, and an official approval process to get adventures made available. {Think of Living Greyhawk as a model for submiting and approving official content.} You bet I would pay real money for it. Especially if approved adventures provided the creators with the creators "Free" money for store purchases. Heck, making approved community created content available at their on-line store for a dollar or two, could be a huge money maker for them in the long run. Look at how many modules in NWN1/NWN2 have 10,000 plus downloads. If even 10% of those players would be willing to pay a dollar for official approved modules. Imagine if PerfectWorld paid $20.00 for each approved submission in Neverwinter Store Dollars, plus 5% or 10% of each sale of the community created product from their online store!!!

So many ideas and so little time. My first would be one of my oldest Puzzle Trap with Undead. Of course, I would need some wall textures like those in the Crypt of the Sepulchral Lamp in the Catacombs of Paris.

If you mean the toolsets? Yes, quite a bit in NWN1, mostly making treasure items. Couldn't get the area creation aspects done right, and with little tutorial help, gave up real quick. Tried again in NWN2, and that toolset was horrible, I couldn't even get it to load properly, on several computers. Gave up frustrated to the nine he"double cowboy boot's!"[/I]

Yes, absolutely. No cost, I do not think possible. However, almost no cost, could be implemented i several manners. One is to allow collaboration in the editting/approval process I mention above. They could have a list of approved Voice Reader players in the community, who have been screened for their skills, and who could be tasked with being the various DM voices. These approved readers could get "Free: money for the online store for their efforts.

Yes Bioware did, but they dropped the ball horribly thereafter, by not providing enough support of the community created content. Of course, having no on-line store to purchase special upgrades and such, hurt them in this. They had no means to reward the creators for their efforts.

So no, they should not scrap the Foundry. They should make it robust and easy to use, and implement a system of approving community created mods for introduction into the game. Think of hundreds or even thousands of Community players being inexpensive freelance modders, editors, storywriters, voice actors, etc

Yes, I agree. Even with Bioware not having the vision to capitalize on it. If they had capitalized on the creativity of the community, and rewarded the creators appropriately, imagine what NWN1 would be now.

If in the spirit of AD&D, then it could be a very wise decision. Remember, the NWN1/NWN2 are not necessarily D&D4E players, and in fact, are more likely 3E and 3.5E players, like myself, who think that 4E is too big a divergence form the D&D franchise we grew up loving to play surrounded by friends, and copious amounts of pizza, doritos and mountain dew.

[COLOR="lime]More than anything, a toolset that does not take a PhD to use, and is robust in all aspects. [/COLOR]
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited May 2012

1. I have

2. Not for content. Maybe for special features I have to use in campaign I would (like a special altar, shinning chalice etc. to make content look more realistic) but not for whole content. If it is f2p, basic things should be free. (And hopefully I can use paid content in all other foundry projects too)

3. devs have stated that dialogues, making npc's do animations is possible. So I am planning on a few story driven campaigns. One regarding lost noble estate in neverwinter. Another regarding 'He Who Was' and something with chalice.

4. No. Had designed a few campaigns in other games(WC3, SC3, SHC etc), but not nwn.

5. Not really. Would be a nice feature but can be done without.

8. They have always tried to distance themselves from NWN. Earlier in one interview they said repeatedly: "NWO has nothing to do with NWN..." but it will always be compared as any new online game in Daggerdale will be compared/confused with that terrible one.

9. Nothing.
  • Options
    rangergonewildrangergonewild Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2012

I will definitely give it a shot. I have a lot of expectations though. We'll see what happens.

No. IF we ended up having to pay to upload our modules I wouldn't even bother with the game. If there was some in-game currency we could use to do so, It would just depend on how hard it would be to get it but then I might still be interested.

I got a couple ideas but I don't want anyone to steal em.

The Aurora and Electron toolsets? Yes. Very much. The Aurora toolset much more so. I've been using it since NWN1 came out and still use it almost daily to test out scripting. I've used the Electron toolset off and on a little. Due to the many bugs that plagued NWN2 I just couldn't get into it as much. Though the scripting for both games are almost the same.

Though narration would be nice I would be ok with just text. It's what we've always had with all the good old rpgs since waaay back. I wouldn't complain if they didn't implement it.

I don't expect the Foundry to have any sort of features that would allow users to upload custom content. So no "gmax"ing any of the objects and reimporting, etc.. However since this won't be an option I do hope that there are a LOT of different placeables and items to use that will ensure that everyone's uploaded content won't all look the same. I want to be able to feel like every user made area/dungeon is completely different than the last.

Completely agree. User made content is exactly what keeps NWN alive. People are still doing unbelievable things with this game. It's incredible.

I think that those from NWN1/2 will just be curious to see what they will be able to do with the Foundry. Cryptic really wouldn't need to lure any of these people. They will naturally just want to come and show off. haha. As long as the Foundry has some decent versatility I think that many from the NWN1/2 community will be hanging around making stuff. I know I will.

The main thing that I would need would be A LOT of placeables and items to work with. I don't mind so much that user made content won't be implemented so long as I have A LOT of things to work with and I better be able to place them where ever I want (position x,y,z cords). After years of working with the Aurora toolset and working on PW's that didn't allow hacks, you learn to get pretty darn creative with what you have. Don't have a tree house? Make one out of trapdoors, siege equipment and some fence posts, etc. Shoving houses into underdark cliff faces makes a pretty decent dwarven city too. ;-)

Deal breaker? If I had to pay for extra placeables or to upload content.
  • Options
    vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    1. This guy

2. It would hinder the likelihood and if I had to pay just to have access to even prototype something then I wouldn't bother. Best case scenario is to pay to publish. But even then I am not fond of the idea.

3. I want to break away from just hack and slash. I want puzzles. I want philosophical debates presented in a narrative. I want comedies. I want to cover aspects of the world in D&D that isn't covered in canon.

4. I don't recall doing so. Then again I don't recall a great many things.

5. Would be nice, but I don't know of any way that could work unless there was a list of general phrases you could plop in, but no way to be very specific.

6. This could be solved by doing something similar to what VALVE did with the Steam Workshop. Even if you made it into less sending assets and more of a forum where people can post sketches and ideas instead of 3D files and sound files etc. it would be the way to go IMHO

7. Agree. You covered it.

8. I don't understand what is meant by distancing so I don't feel comfortable with answering this.

9. I need as many ways to have content interact with players and players to interact with content as possible. Paying to use foundry upfront though that might not even be that bad if it was a low one time cost. Not sure.
  • Options
    singularitariansingularitarian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    1. Aye, I.

2. Insofar as buying Foundry project slots, yes. Buying the content or tools... far less certain.

3. In a word: Dawntree. In two words: Eldreth Veluuthra. They are the main subjects of my currently most-developed plan, but I have others intended to explore the (a)morality of the archfey, the status of a half-elf amongst sun elves, tiefling camaraderie, and an odd movement in dwarven theology.

4. No, but I utilized the Aurora and Electron toolsets.

5. I don't see how this is feasible in an MMO, so it has never occurred to me any more than LAN play has, and I don't understand what you're imagining.

6. What? I reject your premise. Also see #5.

7. This is not of the Neverwinter Nights series and puts on no such mask, so I'm confused by your attempts to wedge it into that model. But yes, the ability of users to tell their stories is obviously what sustained that series. It's also what keeps me in Star Trek Online, and if Neverwinter's Foundry is even a mild improvement over STO's Foundry 0.5 beta, I'm all in.

8. I don't see that Cryptic has done anything to distance Neverwinter from the Neverwinter Nights franchise, because it's not a part of that franchise. The 'distancing' some people are noticing isn't reflective of a change from Cryptic, but their own unsubstantiated, illogical conclusion-leaping ceding to reality. Furthermore, I don't see how any new distancing from 4E, real or not, would specifically concern former NWN 'dreamweavers', who never had to work with this edition.

9. Many of my stories in planning assume that the scripts with selectable variables that Cryptic refers to include a script for recognizing the player character's race, sex, or class. I need to be able to have dialogue that says one thing if one variable is true, or another if another variable is true (even if they have to share the same exit point), and present different dialogue options to different player characters based on such variables. This is not presently possible in STO's Foundry, and I've gotten on just fine without it, but it's still my #1 hope for Neverwinter's Foundry, if only because these things are moderately more important in Faerun than the Federation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dabozerdabozer Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    1. It is my main area of interest in this title.

2. If the whole feature was locked away behind a pay wall, it would depend on how much they were asking, and if I got to try it first. If we're talking asset-packs and microtransactions, it depends on what is in each pack.

3. It will depend on what will be possible to do, but two ideas, from the hip:
    "A demon lusts after a goddess, and his 'wedding gift' is truly unforgettable."

"The crown jewel of a dragon's hoard has run away from home on a quest of self
    discovery, and what it learns could spell disaster for an evil queen."

4. Just designed some interesting henchmen last night for a NWN1 adventure.

5. I personally prefer the "show the audience, don't tell the audience" style of storytelling, so I wouldnt get much use out of that tool. But my own tastes aside, I think it's a feature that is more trouble than it is worth. The kilobytes really add up fast when dealing with audio files. Policing the content would be a nightmare. And let's face it (in the rudest way possible) most of us aren't Morgan Freeman - for every good DM voice there'd be a hundred poorly acted script-readings recorded in a wind-tunnel and drowned out by nostril-blasts and stop-plosives.

6. I disagree with the overall sentiment - I think the Foundry will see plenty of use without the ability to import custom assets. I tend to believe that the lower learning curve will invite just as many, if not more, dreamweavers than the stricter limitations will alienate. Owning a $3000 copy of 'Max is not a prerequisite for being a world-builder/storyteller.

7. Absolutely agreed. Why? Because the community is the *only* source you can currently get fresh NWN and NWN2 content from.

8. Move on. Make the best version of the game/toolset that THEY want to make, and trust us to recognize its quality on its own merits. We don't need a new product to revisit the glory days of NWN - see number 7. Builders for the old games are not just waiting for something new to come along. NWN2 did not kill NWN1, and if they made a NWN3 it would not kill 1 or 2, regardless of quality. If the Foundry is a quality toolset, the dreamweavers will come whether or not it builds upon the success of their current favorite title.

9. The ability to design decisions with consequences. Branching dialogue trees and encounters with multiple solutions, and to have the choices made dictate what happens later. A dealbreaker would be a toolset that only lets me create gauntlet-runs of traps and enemies.
  • Options
    gertiploissgertiploiss Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 49
    edited May 2012

I do. It's a great tool for bringing groups together, even on a basic level.

So long as it wasn't fully continuous or charging for single individual assets. If the business model is done reasonably, I will certainly pony up some dough (did I really just say that?) for the opportunity.

A few simple campaigns, possibly a very far reaching somewhat Magicka-esque campaign with branching choices. Mainly to entertain my friends unless I can be involved in a bigger project.

Indeed. Not extensively.

Give us voice chat? I'm not entirely sure of the question specifically, unless you mean like DDO. If you do mean like DDO, then no thank you. It's fine the first few times around, but it doesn't truly work in user generated content, I feel. But, if it must be, allow one of two alternatives:

1. The one I'd like the most, allow us to synchronize .wav files for voices. We should be allowed to supplant our own voice acting into a scene, if in a proper format. It is a great community tool.

2. Give generic VA's for the continuing of a heroes' journey. Of course, I'd like this the least, but I suppose it takes the less time. Just allow us to choose certain files when on loading screens, or something.

I think as long as they give a wealth of generic assets, it will be helpful. One thing I so rarely see but would help a lot is recolorization. Allow us to make that wood red, if we wish. It's easy to implement, and harms no one. A simple solution among many.

I agree, since the proof is in the pudding (did I really just say that?). Look at both games' multiplayer communities. Huge. It's because of the exploration and the feeling of progression that is, in essence, what D&D is. I hope that Cryptic won't forget that. Give us fantastic worlds and allow us to create our own.

Promote it as D&D. You can't hide the fact, so embrace it. Explain that there's great new worlds to explore that players create, and the beyond of what imgination can bring. Show the world all ready created and explain how it can open up your mind. People like D&D for this reason. Show that up, and you'll draw them.

Not being able to dynamically shift events. I don't mean radically, but we should be able to change the spawn of stuff based on player actions. This is, of course, essential if there's a DM client (please please?) but it should still be present even if the worlds are reduced to a linear slog. Change it up a little!
  • Options
    elfinmittenselfinmittens Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    1. I plan on using the foundry, but time will tell.

2. Yes, I would pay for the ability to create content but only if the player base is large enough. I certainly wouldn't pay money to create something that no one will play.

3. I've never used foundry tools before, so its difficult for me to think about what might be possible. Anything I create will probably be heavily plot and character-centric. I might try to make combat less frequent but more memorable.

4. No, I've never used foundry tools before. In fact, I didn't even realize they existed in the old Neverwinter games or Star Trek, all of which I have played.

5. No, I don't think DM voice is necessary, though I wouldn't mind the ability to voice the character dialogue if that were possible. It seems like voiced character dialogue keeps the player much more interested than if they have to read a bunch of text. As for how they could police it, well I feel a simple reporting option which flags content for the GMs to look at should suffice. I'm not really a fan of censorship though, so I'd probably be even more pleased if no policing were performed.

6. No, I don't think that uploading one's own models is necessary to make the foundry worthwhile. If the game has a comprehensive character creator and a wide variety of models and monsters, I think that should be enough to keep most creators satisfied. It would satisfy me, anyhow.

7. I don't know if Neverwinter Nights is considered the best D&D/RPG ever, nor do I know if the foundry is the reason for it, but it sounds like a reasonable claim.

8. I don't think that distance from the 4e ruleset will discourage many creators. What will discourage them is if the game has no players. To avoid this, the game should be created so that it is as fun as it can be, and if this means adapting the rules to better fit computer game style, then so be it. If players enjoy the game, then creators will come.

9. I think that I will be so tied to the tools that I will have to adapt my story to fit them no matter how robust they are. However, there is one idea I can think of that would be helpful.

I read that this game is being designed with co-op play in mind, so I assume if I create a campaign, then people can play through it with their friends. This being the case, I'd like to give each player his own storyline.

In many co-op games, the players seem to act as a group. The first player to talk to an NPC starts a dialogue and makes the choices, or perhaps the group leader makes the choices, or just a random party member.

Instead, I'd like for any member of the party to be able to initiate dialogue and for the NPCs to be able to respond differently depending which player it is. Using this, I'd like to be able to give each player his own personal storyline which weaves into the main story and requires that player's participation to complete. To do this, each player would need to choose a particular role/background when the campaign is started, or I'd at least need to be able to record each character's individual actions.
  • Options
    aralixaralix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 45
    edited May 2012

I am most interested in this feature as it makes new content a constant in the game
    if done properly a create your own dungeon tool will make a great game into something so much more

not likely, it would, imo, be better to offer special tools or templates instore then to have a price tag on creating new content

what i'd make would be completely based on what the foundry limitations are
    a tower of moving bridges and puzzles with deadly traps-complex
    a cave full of monsters - simple

I actually haven't played those games and kinda feel like i missed out

DM voice in player created content would be difficult to do, perhaps only the "best of" would get narrated? as voted by players or judged by dev team

regardless of how powerful/useful the foundry ends up, simply having it in game will be good imo, during beta/first year i don't expect the foundry to do very well, however as content is added to it, players learn to use it, it will grow to awsomeness

User created content sure adds "replay" value to a game, and makes devs job easier once its completed

People are gonna play what they want, content creators will be naturally lured to a game that allows content to be created so its a build it and they will come thing

I'd rather focus on a good dungeon then an epic storyline for player content, i'd rather have good dungeons from the players and a good story from the devs
    The truth will EAT you!
    328894f9-2005-4d27-a221-67ec37aa20f9_zpse7d8f150.jpg
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    1. Nope, too much time and effort for my taste and never had the knack of being a good story teller... just want to play some good ol' D&D

2. *Edit* No it shouldn't. Cryptic is letting the fans make the content so they need to allow they full access to the tools needed with certain restrictions. For instance loot, this is something imo Cryptic needs to have tight control of. Loot should simpely be a random table like in the rulebooks as people have posted months and months ago that many were not around for, dating back when Cryptic was still part of Atari.

3. N/A

4. N/A

7. Fully agreed, while I didn't play much of the modules of NWN2... actually haven't even finished the OC yet, I did more extensively play numerous modules in NWN which some of the greatest enjoyments was playing some of those outstanding modules like Dawn which was a story of a paladin but the creater never made the sequel as the first installment had a "To be continued..." ending. However in NWN2 I did play around with some PWs and have to say some of the most fantastic work... created by fans for the fans. No MMO have I ever seen this and really some of your most ingenious creators are not the ones sitting in the company office but within the sea of fans.

8. Just go with the regular promotion, go through the fan community but don't go extravagantly trying to promote there. NWO is a bit of a mixed bag in this area, many will despise NWO due to lack of freedom as the boards in Dalelands Beyond showed.

9. N/A
  • Options
    macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012

I probably will :)

No

N/A

No. Only played NWI & II on single player and friendly lans.

Yes would be a great feature, but should have an option for those who dont want to implement them. Also i think cryptic should listen those files before put them online.

N/A

Yup probably, im dont rly know NWN community but i think the presistent world and custom content is the reason people still play it.

NVN creators know that Foundry wont have the same freedom like they have in aurora (correct me if im wrong), legal issues prevent us to add copyright content in cryptic servers so i think NVN creators have a clue of what they gonna find in foundry.

N/A