test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will you walk or run?

2»

Comments

• singularitariansingularitarian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Walking is often agonizingly slow in MMOs because the world is built with running speeds (and the ability to run infinitely) in mind. See the scale of the areas in STO as but one example. It's a silly, self-perpetuating problem.

It's not insurmountable, obviously: EVE's avatar functionality areas are being built with walking speeds in mind, not just for the current captain's quarters areas, but for the rest of the stationside content to come (I sampled the stations proper myself in Reykjavik back in 2008). CCP is taking the same scaling into consideration with the upcoming World of Darkness.

It would be great if more developers went in this direction so we could break out of this trap of PCs being like lilliputians on crack, but I wouldn't expect Cryptic to be on the vanguard of this particular effort just yet. Not because I don't think they see the problem, but because I think they presently have bigger problems to allocate zots to than determining how to have an intimate world scale and a large-feeling world and thousands of players at the same time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shonsu5320shonsu5320 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I prefer flying or teleporting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    If you dig into history you will find that especially in Greek, Roman and Celtic cultures people ran damn near everywhere.....I like the option of doing both but think that RPers who insist folks should always walk is a bit silly.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    RPers who insist folks should always walk is a bit silly.

I don't think RPers suggest you walk everywhere. That would be against any RP. They suggest you walk where it makes sense to do so.

e.g. inside a building, when you shop, etc. etc.

Also consider that in a marketplace or crowded areas, since time immemorial, running means you are running after stealing something. If you do something like that in Roman/Greek/Celtic/aladin/or any/place any civilization you know of/ marketplace, you might be stabbed after mistaking you for a thief.
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Also consider that in a marketplace or crowded areas, since time immemorial, running means you are running after stealing something. If you do something like that in Roman/Greek/Celtic/aladin/or any/place any civilization you know of/ marketplace, you might be stabbed after mistaking you for a thief.

Or get your hand/s cut off

try picking pockets with stumps LOL
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    I don't think RPers suggest you walk everywhere. That would be against any RP. They suggest you walk where it makes sense to do so.

e.g. inside a building, when you shop, etc. etc.

Yeah but market places not withstanding from point A to point B usually meant a trot jog or quickstep, and it's just I had to hear a lot of silliness during my time in LOTRO with RPers complaining about people running through Bree (yet it was okay to run your horse through /boggle) in any event I should have been more clear.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • tuukkasalonentuukkasalonen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Never met people like that in LOTRO while i RPed there. However I met people who complained about RPers who ran inside Prancing Pony (note runners were RPers as well, nobody complained about questers who ran there)
    I am inactive and I know it
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    ... it's just I had to hear a lot of silliness ...

You shouldn't listen to, what salinger calls - phonies - as long as you know you are doing the logically right thing.
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    If I feel like running, I'll run. If NPCs have a problem with that, they can chase me. :p If "RPers" have a problem, I'm "In character". :p
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Now I have to make or buy a custom "track suit" and run everywhere! Take THAT roleplayers! :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deathtoast52deathtoast52 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    If I'm in a hurry I would rather run but sometimes I want to enjoy the view.
    Zander, our Cleric, by some stroke of luck bashed in a goblin's head in a very bloody manner.
    Me: "You evil Cleric! You killed him!"
    Zander: "The goblin was trying to kill you!"
    Me: "You don't know that for sure! That goblin could have had a family, you evil person!"

And from then on he became known as Zanders the Evil Cleric.