test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

R.A. Salvatore on Neverwinter

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited February 2013 in News & Announcements
Kotaku sat down for a quick chat about Neverwinter, and video games with R.A. Salvatore. You can give it a read right here.

Link to the news article.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2011
    Excellent write up. The author appeared to be paying attention and wrote the article with some care.
    edited October 2011
    Meh, never cared for the wuss-with-the-scimitars or the drow in general - talk about cliched evil! However, Jarlaxle is the one exception as he's interesting and a great deal of fun. Entreri only slightly less so and that was only after his... downfall. I'll take tales of Jarlaxle and Entreri over Drizzt and co - which I guess are all dead now anyway - any day of the week. And yeah, even though it got pushed back a year would it kill them to at least show some new media?!
    edited October 2011
    Can't say I ever read any D&D novels past 2 or 3 Weiss and Hickman novels. Not a big fan of fantasy novel writing to start with so its a hard sell for me. But the idea that they have some writing backup is a good thing, even if it is only in collaboration.

Regarding Drizzt, I never had enough exposure to him outside of the CRPGs so I never got worn out by him. The most I ever saw of him was in the Mezobertaniumsnosmonsnks game referred to in the article, and it looked like an interesting character. Would like some more official trademark NPC development in the crpgs to see what people love or hate about these characters from the novels.
    edited October 2011
    Cutter wrote: »
    Meh, never cared for the wuss-with-the-scimitars or the drow in general - talk about cliched evil! However, Jarlaxle is the one exception as he's interesting and a great deal of fun. Entreri only slightly less so and that was only after his... downfall. I'll take tales of Jarlaxle and Entreri over Drizzt and co - which I guess are all dead now anyway - any day of the week. And yeah, even though it got pushed back a year would it kill them to at least show some new media?!

It's funny. I've read the Drizzt saga since the early 90's when I was a kid in school and still head to my book store every year around October to buy the newest R.A. Salvatore novel. However, with that being said, I never really liked Drizzt or his entourage very much. Drizzt was okay - usually a little more likeable when he would go into his frenzy/hunter states, but overall not very interesting as a personality. The rest of his team were so stereotypical and boring I could hardly put up with them.

However, I've always enjoyed every book in this series. Outside of the original Crystal Shard series, all of these books are highly enjoyable and entertaining - they remain my favorite series to date and should as I've read them for around 20 years now. I usually credit that to Salvatore's ability to write from the perspective of multiple characters and more importantly, enemies. I've found myself liking the enemies of Drizzt and company more than them. Artemis/Jarlaxle especially which is why I felt Servant of the Shard and the ensuing Sellsword saga to be some of my favorites.

What I've enjoyed about Gauntlgrym and more specifically the newer Neverwinter novel, is the fact that Drizzt no longer has his companions; he's finally coupled with a character who is as smart as he is, as skilled as he is, but looks at life from a completely different perspective and questions every thought that Drizzt thinks. It's looking like Drizzt's new life is going to be a little more "shades of gray" which is what I think his character needs - especially in the more dark Forgotten Realm post spell plague setting.
    edited October 2011
    [like]
    edited April 2012
    Isn't Mr Salvatore involved with Project Copernicus, the mmo in development by 38 Studios (makers of Kingdoms of Amalur)?
    edited April 2012
    Nice article. Never was a fan of Forgotten Realm novels myself, they played too much to Mary Sue characters all too often, but it's good to see that Wizards has that much faith they are putting a well known name behind Neverwinter to help promote the game for Cryptic.

This looks to be a good thing and with people impressed so far with the demo they were shown at PAX, that shows good signs.
    edited April 2012
    Keller wrote: »
    Isn't Mr Salvatore involved with Project Copernicus, the mmo in development by 38 Studios (makers of Kingdoms of Amalur)?

Yes in fact kingdoms of Amalur is essentially a prequel to the mmo code named "Copernicus".

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/44283/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-mmo-rpg
    edited April 2012
    Asm0deus wrote:
    Yes in fact kingdoms of Amalur is essentially a prequel to the mmo code named "Copernicus".

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/44283/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-mmo-rpg

That explains why the game has that awful World of Warcraft cartoon art style. I could not get into that game, it has a very `fairy´ fantasy feel about it, I am more for darker fantasy and realistic or gritty art styles.
    edited April 2012
    If the neverwinter will have story at least half good as "witcher 2" have then it should be alright. And i hope it will be not a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> like "mass effect".
    edited April 2012
    prejt wrote: »
    If the neverwinter will have story at least half good as "witcher 2" have then it should be alright. And i hope it will be not a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> like "mass effect".

Mass Effects are good, 3s endings are just <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, and bioware also said that they made them too hasty
    edited April 2012
    Anglomyr wrote:
    Mass Effects are good, 3s endings are just <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, and bioware also said that they made them too hasty

That's objective. Personally, I never understood why Mass Effect was so popular. The story was very bland and not very good, honestly.
    edited April 2012
    silverspar wrote: »
    That's objective. Personally, I never understood why Mass Effect was so popular. The story was very bland and not very good, honestly.

We all have our own opinions i suppose, after all world would be very gray if we all would think same way
  • exitghost342exitghost342 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I can't believe so many people dislike Drizzt's series. Before I started reading the series, I probably only read 3-4 books cover to cover for entertainment. Now I've lost count on how many books i've read haha
  • tuukkasalonentuukkasalonen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I have nothing against Drizzt series. But Drizzt himself is kinda...meh
    I am inactive and I know it
  • foodlefoodle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Will we see Drizzt, Catibrie and tha gang in NWN?
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    foodle wrote: »
    Will we see Drizzt, Catibrie and tha gang in NWN?

From the article linked in post 1:-
    "I think the plan is that he will (show up)" said Salvatore. While definite plans are in place to have other characters that survive the trilogy to act as non-player characters in the online game, Drizzt's appearance is still to be determined, though his creator is hopeful. "We haven't gotten to that point yet, or if we had I wouldn't tell you anyway, but I think they'll probably find ways to get him in the game. He's in the area, he might as well show up."
  • panthr0spanthr0s Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    @foodle

Spoiler alert lol!

Cattie-brie is dead. She died during the Spellplague. You might want to read Neverwinter book 1, Gauntlgrym ;)
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    panthr0s wrote: »
    @foodle

Spoiler alert lol!

hmm... still doesn't means she can't appear... (if you know what I mean ;p )
  • endingdawnendingdawn Member Posts: 61
    edited August 2012
    panthr0s wrote: »
    @foodle

Spoiler alert lol!

Cattie-brie is dead. She died during the Spellplague. You might want to read Neverwinter book 1, Gauntlgrym ;)

Not Gauntlgrym. You'de want to read Transitions Book III The Ghost King to actually read that part. And there is the fact that she may or may not appear. Since there have been sightings of a Pretty young "Witch" and her Halfling companion in the book Gauntlgrym
  • ulfang1ulfang1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've not read any Forgotten Realms novels for years but used to read them all the time. R.A. Salvatore was a favourite :)
    NW_Guardian_main_trigger_EN.jpg
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Man, that article is from 2011. I would like to see something more recent.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • yoazismynyoazismyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    All of the people here tend to forget that before every other game that allowed dark elves as playable characters there was only Drizzt Do'Urden. If you can remember playing through Against the Giants and finally meeting up with the drow for the first time ever you gained a lot of respect reading about Drizzt and what he has to deal with to live on the surface. Back in the day you couldn't get a drow higher than level 11, and that was only because you were a female fighter. Drow used to be the big bads of the dinner table and if it wasn't for RAS to make a good drow then no one would even want to be them anyways. We'd be playing copies of X'rtxzy'bick'fickle'whatever the beholder with a heart of gold. The gaming world owes a lot to Drizzt and to RAS for coming up with the idea in the first place. Just because you can open a PHB and make a character with better stats I challenge you to make any character with the written background, motivations and fellings that Drizzt has in the first 9 books.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Necromancy is bad, m'kay?
This discussion has been closed.