Install Arc
Options

Character Creation

2»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2011
    Does it really matter? I mean REALLY? If it takes them 30 tries to get the high result they are aiming for, then so what? It isn't like this is a PvP game where we are directly competing against each other. If I take the quick way and do point buy, I'm not going to care if someone starts with higher stats, as long as the rules apply. They won't be overpowered. You can only call something overpowered if they manage to beat you to a ****** pulp.

As Cryptic has said, this is NOT going to be a PvP game.
    Jharii wrote:
    Sure it matters. If I go with point buy and team up with 3-4 other people inflated stats thanks to them rerolling characters, my functionality within that party is much less than if everyone was on par. If I am playing an inferior character to those around me, I am of less use to the party and it's not as much fun if I am not as useful, not to mention I may not even get a group because of it.

This^

Or to put it another way. If it didn't matter, would people try 30 times to get the highest possible stats? I mean REALLY?

Stats give the character certain benefits whether there is PvP in the game or not. And these benefits make the character all around more effective and allow them to go through content faster.

If it really didn't matter, why not just had out all characters a nice stack of "18s" in ALL stats from the start? The answer is simple, they won't, because it does matter.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Jharii wrote:
    Sure it matters. If I go with point buy and team up with 3-4 other people inflated stats thanks to them rerolling characters, my functionality within that party is much less than if everyone was on par. If I am playing an inferior character to those around me, I am of less use to the party and it's not as much fun if I am not as useful, not to mention I may not even get a group because of it.

On the other hand, you would likely be outleveling most of the people who reroll several days running to get their so-called overpowered character.

I think it is safe to say that it is up to a DM to decide which method of character generation is acceptible for the campaign he's running. Cryptic will be the DM of this game, so I'm sure they will choose the fairest method. Point buy most likely.

I was merely pointing out that all three options are systemically viable. It isn't my fault that so many people cannot stant the thought that someone might have better stats randomly than with pointbuy. Nevermind the fact that EVERYONE would have the option to roll for stats...

Just sayin'...
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    On the other hand, you would likely be outleveling most of the people who reroll several days running to get their so-called overpowered character.

I think it is safe to say that it is up to a DM to decide which method of character generation is acceptible for the campaign he's running. Cryptic will be the DM of this game, so I'm sure they will choose the fairest method. Point buy most likely.

I was merely pointing out that all three options are systemically viable. It isn't my fault that so many people cannot stant the thought that someone might have better stats randomly than with pointbuy. Nevermind the fact that EVERYONE would have the option to roll for stats...

Just sayin'...

/shout "Group forming for instances. MUST have at least 4 18s!"

This is a multiplayer game. People want to be effective. People want to team with those who are effective. Gimping a person out of the gate is going to limit that person's opportunities to participate in the multiplayer aspects of the game.

And no, having a few extra days of play time is not going to give someone such an advantage over someone with 3/4 18's that they're going to have any kind of meaningful advantage. If the game were set up so that was the case, then there wouldn't be any reason to even purchase it after the first week it was released, now would there?
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    As much as I like having options, rolled stats wouldn't be valid, as severally of you have said it wouldn't be a fair system or it would cause a schism between players. Most online games try for a fair system, whether they achieve it or not. Since this a co-operative game a schism would just be ridiculous, and ruin the game. Though I hope that the point buy system is 32 point buy, which is a vast improvement over the normal 28 point buy.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    As much as I like having options, rolled stats wouldn't be valid, as severally of you have said it wouldn't be a fair system or it would cause a schism between players. Most online games try for a fair system, whether they achieve it or not. Since this a co-operative game a schism would just be ridiculous, and ruin the game. Though I hope that the point buy system is 32 point buy, which is a vast improvement over the normal 28 point buy.

The point buy number to me is irrelevant, since all it does is give the basis for the devs to base the encounter difficulty on. It wouldn't really matter if everyone had all 9's in every stat, as long as the world was balanced around that fact.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    FYI, 4E is 22 points-buy with all stats starting at 10's. You can drop one stat to 8 to gain 2 bonus points.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Jharii wrote:
    FYI, 4E is 22 points-buy with all stats starting at 10's. You can drop one stat to 8 to gain 2 bonus points.

Actually according to PHB1 it is one 8, five 10s and then 22 points. If you start as all 10s then you would have 20 points.

Personally, I think the point buy is the only viable option for Multiplayer. While I think option 1 is okay, I do not think that the player base will approve of having fixed numbers like that.

For single player games I prefer rolling, but the nature of multi player makes it non viable in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    2 is the most common and sensible in my eyes, but 1 could work as well. We're going to get a lot of people that never even touched a D&D game period that'd pump dex to hell instantly thinking they're gonna be a critmonkey melee character and be sorely mistaken.

1. would at least start people off on pretty equal terms with some choice involved as well,
    2. would let people customize much further
    3. would just achieve the same results of 1 and 2 depending on how many times someone is willing to keep remaking a character hoping to hit the jackpot
  • Options
    edited July 2011

I was merely pointing out that all three options are systemically viable.

I'm not sure they are. Cryptic as DM isn't going to be tailoring each event to the specific characters such as a live DM might. They're creating automated encounters. Encounters that must be balanced without the live dm ability to "fudge" the rolls. In order to do that they have to make a baseline on character abilities.

I think stats matter enough that an encounter balaced against average characters may be a cakewalk for a group of "all-18s"
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    RazorrX wrote: »
    Actually according to PHB1 it is one 8, five 10s and then 22 points. If you start as all 10s then you would have 20 points.

Personally, I think the point buy is the only viable option for Multiplayer. While I think option 1 is okay, I do not think that the player base will approve of having fixed numbers like that.

For single player games I prefer rolling, but the nature of multi player makes it non viable in my opinion.
    The character builder is updated to the latest standard. But yes, 20 points with all 10's.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Jharii wrote:
    The character builder is updated to the latest standard. But yes, 20 points with all 10's.

Which in 3.5 is a 32 point buy, since you start with all 8s. If that's the system they'll use at least it's a decent one. I thought it was the same as 3.5, which means I haven't played in awhile.