Install Arc
Options

What is an Online, Cooperative RPG?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2011
    I can't get together with friends that often ... I'm not going to pay MMO monthly fees for a game I play a lot less ...

Since they obviously want MMO monthly fees have no fear though, it will be a MMO in the end. The rest is just a pre-emptive excuse for not having end game raids on release.

Actually I am pretty sure they are at least considering free to play. They've said over and over that the profit model is not set.

- Bar
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    barfubaz wrote: »
    Actually I am pretty sure they are at least considering free to play. They've said over and over that the profit model is not set.

- Bar

one interviewer claimed it was set for F2P model, but that is 1 of many, so not sure if it is correct.

I think DDO has a good set up.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Since they obviously want MMO monthly fees have no fear though, it will be a MMO in the end. The rest is just a pre-emptive excuse for not having end game raids on release.
    See, now you're just making stuff up.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Presbytier wrote: »
    Ok, so I get the idea that you do not want to call this an MMO. But, I have to ask what is an online cooperative RPG? What differentiates its mechanics from a standard MMO? Answering this I believe would go along way with solving some of our questions. I also believe that most of the gaming websites think this is a MMORPG (MMORPG.com for instance), so I think it is important that we recieve an explanation for what an Online Cooperative RPG actually is.

Thank you.:)

It IS an MMORPG by definition, which is a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game. They decided to further differentiate it from OTHER MMORPG's by putting it into its own subset of MMORPG's (a co-op game, which humorously most other mmorpg's also are but they can also be played solo if you wish; grouping is encouraged in most, especially at higher levels) and trying to say that it isn't an MMORPG at all which is utter nonsense. Their wrong reasoning that is isn't an MMORPG is their flawed assumption that ALL MMORPG's are like WoW and EQ which have wide open worlds, but that has NOTHING to do with the fact that an MMORPG ONLY MEANS THIS: LOTS OF FREAKING PEOPLE ARE ONLINE PLAYING THE ROLEPLAYING GAME AT THE SAME FREAKING TIME, so can all of you stop this ridiculous nonsense of saying that it isn't an MMORPG because that is EXACTLY what it is?!?
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well I'd buy that definition but that's not how Neverwinter is being described.

I think Cryptic may need to tread very carefully here since this is the realm of contracts and licensing agreements.

As I understand the social part is there, but when gets into the actual gameplay (the questing/adventuring/instanced part), then its not so massive.

- Bar

It doesn't matter if it has instanced dungeons or not; tons of online games have had instanced dungeons for many years; this doesn't mean they're not mmorpgs.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Stop yelling.

And it does not mean they are. Darkspore is not an MMORPG, yet lots of people are playing an online only RPG style game.

And ultimately, it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Raven-SB wrote:
    In the end who really cares what 'type' of game it is? So long as it meets the following criteria I'm in,

- D&D : Check
    - Multiplayer: Check
    - Fun Game: Waiting for open beta/release :).

More than a tiny network of geek friends allowed to play at once: Check
    Requires the Internet: Check
    Game which allows the person to role-play his or her character: Check

= = Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~Stormshade
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Corpeces wrote: »
    First of, DDO is not an MMO. DDO is a coorpetive game, which is same thing as multiplayer.
    An MMO is a presistant game where up to thousands of players can interact with the world at the same time on the same game shard. Anything less is not an MMO.

If you played DDO, then it is easy to imagine this game will be just like DDO. You will have a central meeting place(a town) for players to run around, shop, meet, talk, craft, repair and sell. Then after getting a group together go into an instance to adventure.

Considering how little info we got, I imagine it as above.

DDO not an MMO? Oh really... Let's ignore then all their ads that describe it as an MMO all over the web then. Hell by you definition then there are no MMOs are out there, not even WOW as it doesn't have thousands interacting... Hundreds at best. EVE would be bout the only one that's an MMO by you definition.

People like you have the misconception that an MMO means massive amounts of people, thousands by you, when in reality it doesn't matter require anything near that number. It's more of the social interaction mechanics that defines it not the numbers that really defines an MMO.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Ferrick976 wrote:
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~Stormshade
    Or it simply means that your pigeon-holing doesn't always work.

*shrug*

Like I said, it ultimately doesn't matter. The only "ridiculous nonsense" going on is your condescension towards people with different opinions other than your own. Enjoy.

You should note that I won't hear you from this point on.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Saco123 wrote:
    Let's ignore then all their ads that describe it as an MMO all over the web then.
    Please show me one Cryptic/Neverwinter advertisement that defines Neverwinter as an MMO. Just one, please.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Guys, you're all wrong.

NWO is a CO-OpMMORPG. ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I cant wait for this game but if it is like ( dungeons and dragons online )(DDO)

then forget it , didnt work there for me , wont work for Neverwinter either.

If by co-op they mean logging in to servers and choosing games in progress like in atari Daggerdale then also forget it.

For now i guess we will have to wait and see,I have big hopes for this game,DDO let me down,daggerdale let me down,i hope Neverwinter doesnt.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I can't get together with friends that often ... I'm not going to pay MMO monthly fees for a game I play a lot less ...

i would go with Pinkybrain on this one. On top of the excuse of not having end game content, they also have numerous complain that the massive feeling was missing in their two other titles.
    on top of this Cryptic is a MMO maker using a MMO engine...i m sure the end result can t be that far.

- Bar

To be honest Bar, it is difficult for me to believe that a company would invest 2 years to develop a game without knowing how they are going to get their money back and some more. it does not make sense.
    my guess on this one. they already have a plan but:

1 they Give themselves more time to modify their pricing plan if necessary looking at more data coming from their other titles or other market research.

2 From a marketing point of view they need to get as many people interested and lured into this game before letting them know the final bill. Some of us would have scared away if they already told us this game was going to be on monthly fee basis for example.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Agreed. They pretty much already know or are already dead set on what they're going to do, regardless if they've announced it or not.

With the way the MMO market has been moving and will continue to move toward, which is away from required paid subscriptions, I would almost be willing to bet that this game will be F2P with the option of paying for a sub with certain minor benefits. I could be wrong, but I very seriously doubt it'll be P2P at launch.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Venatici wrote:
    i would go with Pinkybrain on this one. On top of the excuse of not having end game content, they also have numerous complain that the massive feeling was missing in their two other titles.
    on top of this Cryptic is a MMO maker using a MMO engine...i m sure the end result can t be that far.

To be honest Bar, it is difficult for me to believe that a company would invest 2 years to develop a game without knowing how they are going to get their money back and some more. it does not make sense.
    my guess on this one. they already have a plan but:

1 they Give themselves more time to modify their pricing plan if necessary looking at more data coming from their other titles or other market research.

2 From a marketing point of view they need to get as many people interested and lured into this game before letting them know the final bill. Some of us would have scared away if they already told us this game was going to be on monthly fee basis for example.

To be honest, I think they fully intended to make it a monthly fee two years ago. But I think they have been paying attention and realize they may have to change it.

You guys going on about stuff you don't know the answer to with great passion and confidence doesn't change the fact that you don't know the answer.

- Bar
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well, my only experience on F2P MMO was DDO, but if anyone here is familiar with DDO you know that is (for example) almost impossible to reach the lvl cap without be a VIP = P2P.

What i mean is that F2P is just marketing, if u wanna explore 100% of the game u will have to pay. DDO had a big boom when they change to F2P but that was just to bring people to try it and if u like it u will eventually pay to keep play. In DDO for example when u reach lvl 12-14 u just dont have much more to do if u dont waste money in the game.

The big advantge is that u can just buy all adventure package and never waste money again.

I understand perfectly if cryptic launch the game at F2P but if we enjoy the game we will eventualy pay to play....
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Agreed. They pretty much already know or are already dead set on what they're going to do, regardless if they've announced it or not.

With the way the MMO market has been moving and will continue to move toward, which is away from required paid subscriptions, I would almost be willing to bet that this game will be F2P with the option of paying for a sub with certain minor benefits. I could be wrong, but I very seriously doubt it'll be P2P at launch.

I m with glacier freeze on this one...
    To be honest, I think they fully intended to make it a monthly fee two years ago. But I think they have been paying attention and realize they may have to change it.

You guys going on about stuff you don't know the answer to with great passion and confidence doesn't change the fact that you don't know the answer.

- Bar

yes and no...

you right we don t know the pricing plan for Neverwinter Online (only) but i believe we are allowed to make educate guess using our common sense, trends and marketing research to reach the most likely answer. no? :)

Look STO for example. it s a monthly sub game with one of the biggest shop on the market... i would not be surprised that after crushing numbers they realized that lifetimers are the ones buying the most in the cryptic shop...cause they don t have to pay $15 every month so $5 to $10 a month is not that bad and who can remember they spent more than $200 a year and a half ago? here again i don t know the answer but i can t be that far from the truth.

We already know that there will be micro transactions now i do hope it will be free to play or use the same hybrid system than champion online which is all the features for a monthly fee or selected content for free. i don t think i will go for another game with limited features, a lot of potentials and hopes for players for a monthly fees and micro-transactions again... fool me once...

As you expressed it in another thread Bar...i m a bit confused by the silence treatment we are getting regarding the game as well.
    we already know by now that Neverwinter Online is only inspired from the NWNx series...same ingredients but different cook so we won t be getting the same thing in our plates...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Venatici wrote:
    you right we don t know the pricing plan for Neverwinter Online (only) but i believe we are allowed to make educate guess using our common sense, trends and marketing research to reach the most likely answer. no? :)

Oh I very much agree that you have that right. It gets a little more murky when those educated guesses get stated as absolute truths.
    Venatici wrote:
    As you expressed it in another thread Bar...i m a bit confused by the silence treatment we are getting regarding the game as well.

I think they mean to build up the suspense. But I do think they wish they could say more at this point.

They may be reevaluated a few things in light of the purchase of the studio (Cryptic). They haven't really officially even talked about that yet. Its not surprising that the marketing push for Neverwinter is a bit limited right now. Nor would I be terribly be surprised if it slips into Q1 or later of next year.

- Bar
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Macabrius wrote:
    Well, my only experience on F2P MMO was DDO, but if anyone here is familiar with DDO you know that is (for example) almost impossible to reach the lvl cap without be a VIP = P2P.

What i mean is that F2P is just marketing, if u wanna explore 100% of the game u will have to pay. DDO had a big boom when they change to F2P but that was just to bring people to try it and if u like it u will eventually pay to keep play. In DDO for example when u reach lvl 12-14 u just dont have much more to do if u dont waste money in the game.

The big advantge is that u can just buy all adventure package and never waste money again.

I understand perfectly if cryptic launch the game at F2P but if we enjoy the game we will eventualy pay to play....

Going to say that it is VERY possible to never pay turbine for anything and level to 20. Favor unlocks can buy content, grind favor and you have all the content free. I know people who have done this. They own all the content and have not spent a dime on the game.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    RazorrX wrote: »
    Going to say that it is VERY possible to never pay turbine for anything and level to 20. Favor unlocks can buy content, grind favor and you have all the content free. I know people who have done this. They own all the content and have not spent a dime on the game.

I know is possible but not likely to archive.

The max favor u can get per character is arround 2200 and that is if u have all content already.(And its VERY HARD to archive the max favor)

Even so when u reach lvl 12-14 u will have to start another character and start the grind again so u can buy the lvl 15-17 content (vale of twilight) and so on.

Im not sure but maybe u will need to build arround +7 character to have all the content without waste money and im not counting with extra race and other features.

To be honest i coulnd never do that because u will have to repeat the sames quests all over again, again and again, in normal situations this already happen so i dont want even imagine how it would be....

My point is, yes DDO its F2P and yes u get all content without pay (theoreticly) but if u want to play the real game u will have to pay otherwise u will spend ALOT of time just to have 100% of the game content.

If NVN online will be like DDO we dont know but if it will i will definitely pay to play.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Currently the favor cap is around 3700. Yes the way to get everything free is to make many characters and grind favor. I never said it was effortless, I just said it was entirely possible. I currently am f2p with all content, classes and races (except Warforged which I did not want).