test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Thoughts on playable races?

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Now I'm sure we all know that the Three will be playable: Human, Elf, and Dwarf. Even if this isn't confirmed, it just wouldn't be a fantasy game without them.

The big question is, who else will be in the mix?

I'm sure halflings/gnomes will be playable, but personally I'm hoping for some of the more monstrous races, such as the Half-Orcs or those dragonmen that are so popular with the 4th Edition.

So, what do you all think? I'll add the popular ones to the list.

*Human
*Elf
*Dwarf
*Gnome
*Half-Orc
*Tiefling
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Elf, drow, and eldarin are all likely to show up since they all look pretty similar so it will be easier to split into 3. Drow are even featured at the top of the forums.

Tieflings will likely be in the the same reason.

I see halflings coming before gnomes.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Drow has been mentioned over the past months by some of the dev's working on the game so they would be on the playable list too I assume.

(Plus the sheer level of whininess if the masses couldn't make their Drizzt clone in NW I dare not imagine.)

I would actually be surprised to see Half-Orc as that isn't a 'core' race so much anymore, neither are Gnomes.

My guess would be, at the moment:
    Human
    Elf
    Dwarf
    Tiefling
    Drow

With maybe on:
    Halfling
    Half-Elf
    Eladrin

What I really want to be able to play but don't expect at launch are:
    Genasi
    Half-Orc
    Gnoll
    Dragonborn (just because they'd need lots of custom work to handle the wings)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    mm.. subraces would add fantastic depth, or at least for the custom-content and PW audience the ability to customize a any base race into a subrace for all those non-Faerun worlds that will emerge from the Foundry toolset...

I mean... no need to make a 'separate' race for Drow, they're just basic elves with a sleight stat modifier and altered racial... and how can you *not* include them? ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I would love to see the githzerai and githyanki or at least the githzerai as a playable race. Ever since Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape: Torment I've been dying to see a D&D game where you had the opprotunity to choose one of those races. It would definitly be an interesting change. :D
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Krivoklat wrote: »
    . I mean... no need to make a 'separate' race for Drow, they're just basic elves with a sleight stat modifier and altered racial... and how can you *not* include them? ;)

How Dare you!

There's nothing 'basic' about Drow and do not think to akin us to weak willed scum on the Surface

:D
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    My bet is on the classic Human, dwarf, elf, halfling for release and maybe more later.

I do hope they won't just retexture an elf into a drow and make a different model for it. They aren't suppose to look the same just because they are elves.

You can see how different the Drow look compared to the other elves.
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Elf
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    This is a 4th edition online RPG so I would assume they will include all the 4th edition races.

Human, Elf, Dwarf, are pretty much a given.

Eladrin, Dragonborn, tiefling, Halfling, Half Elves a fair possibility...

Aasimar, Genasi, Half Orcs, Kobold, Gnoll, Drow, Githyanki, Gnome, Shadar-Kai, and even Warforged (which in 4th ed arent specific just to Eberron) are not out of the realms of possibility though I would suspect more likely C-store options if such a feature it coming with Neverwinter (ans I suspect it is).
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well, I'm expecting that they will have atleast the races that appears in the Players Manual 1-3.

And by that I mean human, elves, dwarves, eladrin, halflings, gnomes, goliaths, deva, shifters, thiefling, shardmind, minotaurs and dragonborn.

But id like to see gnolls as a playable race too. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tiefling and Drow plz
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hythian wrote: »
    Genasi
    Half-Orc
    Gnoll

Dragonborn don't always have wings but they could make it an optional feature. Plus i'd imagine they'd be rare lorewise considering:
    A) They are a small population since most of those on Toril are centred in former Unther (which is on the other side of the continent to Neverwinter)
    B) To everyone else they are aliens so I imagine they aren't entirely welcomed by some.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tiefling and Drow plz

Judging by the trailer and the picture at the top of this forum I'd say things look promising for you...:D
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If eliminating drow would mean that I would never have to see another Drizit, Drizzit, Drzit, Drizziz, Drizt, or Driznitz, then please, take the drow away.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Because we're in 4th ed, I imagine they'll start with PHB1 and the FRPG.

So at launch we'll likely have:

Human, Tiefling, Elf, Eladrin, Drow, Halfling, Dwarf

Then soon after they'll add:

Half-elf, Dragonborn, Genasi

And from there they'd probably move onto PHB2:

Gnome, Deva, Half-Orc (Maybe Shifters and Goliaths, but I think they're less likely)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tiefling and Drow plz

im abit rusty on my d&d, but what is a tiefling?

i wouldnt mind seeing a drow elf or some kind of were creature.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tiefling is a humanoid with a demonic lineage,a union between some form of evil demonic creature and usually a human

They got horns and a tail and i only seen red-ish skin color but there could be more
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hythian wrote: »
    Genasi
    Half-Orc
    Gnoll

Dragonborn don't feature wings in 4e. (or even a tail)

Also I -swore- in the earlier version of this site that there was a silhouette of a Dragonborn character.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I love the dextherous race of the catfolk from the 3.5 book Races of the Wild. But i am afraid that is out of scope for the 4th edition.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    There's always the shifter races.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Personally I would think the main Players Handbook races will be in there.

Others may come as the game gets developed further.
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Also I -swore- in the earlier version of this site that there was a silhouette of a Dragonborn character.

I see dragonborn and I think Skyrim. I had to shake my head to get back on track.

I really hope that there aren't any monster races available as player characters, and this includes the drow.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    tlantl wrote: »
    I really hope that there aren't any monster races available as player characters, and this includes the drow.

I strongly disagree, the more choices the better IMO. I doubt I would even buy the game if its just the basic races and basic classes.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I assume Drow and Gensai will both be in at launch or fairly quickly after as both races were released if FR books for 4e. So would assume they would be early races.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    tlantl wrote: »
    I see dragonborn and I think Skyrim. I had to shake my head to get back on track.

No humans then? They appear in the Monster Manual. :D

Or maybe drow are valid playable race because they appear in the Forgotten Realms player's handbook as playable race. (or was it the DM guide? I cannot remember now)

Mindflayers on the other hand...
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Correct me if I am wrong, but would the major difficulty in adding races be unique animations?

Halflings requiring as much developement time as dwarves, for example.
    But Drow might just be Elves and not really extra work?
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Wintersong wrote:
    No humans then? They appear in the Monster Manual. :D

Or maybe drow are valid playable race because they appear in the Forgotten Realms player's handbook as playable race. (or was it the DM guide? I cannot remember now)

Mindflayers on the other hand...

Drow and Genasi are in the Players book for FR as playable races. They also go over all the standard ones presented in the 4E standard PHBs and introduce a new pact for Warlock.

I think we will see Human, Elf, Dwarf, Half-Elf and Drow at least given what I have seen.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Dardove wrote:
    Elf, drow, and eldarin are all likely to show up since they all look pretty similar so it will be easier to split into 3. Drow are even featured at the top of the forums.

Hoping to port over Bray back to her propper D&Dish setting when the time comes :D

...and hoping they don't disapoint me with the dark elf apperance options as well. I really hated how they looked in NWN 2, hoping they do a better job now, this being Cryptic and all.
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Doh, you are right. Had to go dig the books out and look at the art but you are definately correct.

I kept thinking that they did probably because the only one I've played in 4E had the "Scion of Arkhosia" Paragon Path with the wings and the flight speed.

But that would mean that their'd be far fewer reasons not to include them other then all of the extra time needed to model and design for all of their unique facial and skin textures and options. If they have the time, and the art resources, they would be nice to see.

(Though I'd still rather have the Genasi, and the Abyss-tainted versions of the Genasi first.)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    There is a similar topic happening right over Here
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Jharii wrote:
    If eliminating drow would mean that I would never have to see another Drizit, Drizzit, Drzit, Drizziz, Drizt, or Driznitz, then please, take the drow away.

AAaahhh!!! /head asplodes!

/amen!

Although I love Drow, that always drove me insane.

My favorite race to play was always half-elf.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I wonder if we'll see the "create your own" feature from STO come to NW in some form...