test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Value

alby#2766 alby Member Posts: 2 Arc User
I have been (VIP)active in Neverwinter for 4 years now. I strive to be extremely cost/benefit aware of where I opt to invest my admittedly limited real world funds. I have also witnessed a lot of players quitting because the cost/benefit is to their detriment instead of benefit - a viewpoint that I did not agree with until recently.
The value I am receiving for spending my time, effort and money does not seem to be commensurate - I am not quitting, but am submitting this for consideration in the fervent hopes of redress of the situation with benefit to all.
The impetus for this posting stems from the Winter Festival 'rewards' such as they are. In no particular order, this is what I find degrading the value of participation.
1. Rewards that no longer have any use whatsoever in the game. Including but not limited;
2. Upgrade items that cannot be used
3. Enchants from a system that has changed
4. Marks of potency(of varying pedigree) that cannot be used
5. Mounts & Companions that are bound so they cannot be sold or auctioned
6. Retraining tokens in far greater quantity than can ever be used(I have over a thousand of them)
7. Re roll tokens that accumulate faster than can ever be used - I have over 5 thousand
8. Unique awards that are repetitive and of little to no interest or use to any.
The dearth of value is not limited to just the festival(s) which originate from 'old' code that would be onerous to update or modify and some argument could be made that this would be a ;waste' of time & effort by the developers - a lot of work for a limited benefit. The degradation of value for the player is also rampantly present in the latest modules added. The battle pass rewards for both the general players and those who opt for the 'premium' are the most limited I have ever seen. Simply put, there is no impetus to obtain the premium, or even participate in the general because what is being offered for rewards does not justify the time and effort(not mention expense) that the player is required to submit.
I truly enjoy participating in Neverwinter - it is my hope that in submitting this that some modicum of focus turns from developer profit to player appeal - the entirety of this game is 100% imaginary for the player - I understand that the game exists to make a profit for the owners, but this MUST be balanced against the cost/benefit for the player(s). I offer the following suggestions for analysis in the hopes of generating improvement and I strongly encourage all who are reading this to also offer ideas-with the provision that this does not degenerate into a 'monty haul' wish list of idiocy.
1. Increase re rolls on chest rewards to 5.
2. Enable rewards to be sold, either directly or by auction house via existing unbind tokens.
3. Eliminate old content that has no relevancy to the current game - such as enchants/marks of potency/items of no worth.
4. Implement new gemstone rewards - with new modules.
5. Adopt a vendor trade option - trade retraining tokens or re rolls for more useful(to the player) items.
I thank everyone who has invested their time and effort in reading this - I am NOT writing in denigration of the game, rather I am writing in the belief that we ALL want a better gaming experience and a more equitable cost/benefit equation.
Respectfully submitted for consideration,
Draco.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    I will agree with you that Simril rewards need an update. There are a number of outdated rewards, and the top rewards are not very interesting any more.

My reaction has been to just collect my daily free gift from the event and do nothing else.

As for bound/unbound, that is an old discussion. The health of the economic system depends on not too many items being released into the economy, and for an event like Simril that has the potential to release infinite amounts of items some controls need to be in place.

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,229 Arc User
    edited January 4

My reaction has been to just collect my daily free gift from the event and do nothing else.

I have been doing that for years.

As for bound/unbound, that is an old discussion. The health of the economic system depends on not too many items being released into the economy, and for an event like Simril that has the potential to release infinite amounts of items some controls need to be in place.

If all the bound one are unbound, I agree that whatever you got is pretty much worthless. You just have a lot of "junk" that nobody will spend much to buy (if someone would buy at all) but we will need to spend time to stash, sell or trash. Stashing is easier than trashing and trashing is easier than selling in that situation. So, my 'solution' is: don't open the prize box until .... (not sure when).
    Even the current unbound one, it is also a hard sell for the amount that is available.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Tbh I stopped playing NW a few months ago kind of because of the same reason, or at least very similar reasons.

Permanent grind, RNG and all for what?

Its a constant power creep and playing NW feels like a part-time job which became a chore with no real perks or wages.

I look back on my years here with great fondness, NW helped me through some tough mental challenges and kept me entertained for over 5 years, but the last year or two has just been one bad mod after another, obsession with BHEs and HEs, mob groups that hit HARD, boring scenery [new Sharandar was pretty in places though] and mods which become useless after the majority have finished them with no reason to revisit them.

And yeah - still finding old useless stuff in game is really pretty shoddy development.

Oh and yeah I gave up VIP when I realised it wasnt worth it at all...

But for a new player I still think NW has a real appeal and a thrill and still possibly the best combat system in an MMO i have played.
  • Options
    rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    Only yesterday I finally got off my backside and got my (now) main character to unlock the Citadel. Been literally ages since I was there last. Well there I was reacquainting myself with the vendors and I come across a section I don't remember from before, well it may have been there but I don't remember it. It has loads of really nifty unique cosmetic things in it and I got all excited that I could buy these things for my main character with currency I could grind for. Then I looked properly and saw the disclaimer at the bottom of each item... This is only for those to reclaim items which you have already reclaimed from the past campaign battle pass events. Oh well, they're using that venue in the Citadel to save space in the Zen Store I get it. But wait there's more...

It led me to peruse all the old rewards I was seeing in the store (candles which float around your shoulders, eyeballs which do the same, a vanity Zariel which is kind of amazing to see in real life, I won't lie,) in the old battle passes and I noticed how inventive and special they were. They had some REALLY good things as rewards. For doing the same things we do today in the campaigns which they release.

I then clicked through to today's battle passes and looked at what was on offer. A bag. A coal mote. A choice pack of old epic mounts which have been around for years and no-one wants anymore. Rehashes and other things which are so mundane you might find them anywhere. Whoopee.

The difference between then and now in quality of rewards to players (for money paid for premium as well) is staggering.

It's like they don't give a sht anymore as to what they give players.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • Options
    jana#2651 jana Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    I like the companion gear you can buy in wildspace, thats been a real plus, but the gear for yourself there is iffy. Yes it has a higher IL but the trade off on almost all of it for your critical strike, critical severity etc is sure annoying. Cant there be gear that after grinding for, doesn't hurt your stats in other ways? And please stop having so many things you cant sell, like some of the epic mount collars.
  • Options
    jana#2651 jana Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    Oh and Alby made some really good suggestions.
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    jana#2651 said:

I like the companion gear you can buy in wildspace, thats been a real plus, but the gear for yourself there is iffy. Yes it has a higher IL but the trade off on almost all of it for your critical strike, critical severity etc is sure annoying. Cant there be gear that after grinding for, doesn't hurt your stats in other ways? And please stop having so many things you cant sell, like some of the epic mount collars.

The principle they use to avoid excessive mudflation is:
    All gear will change the sum of your stats across the 15 main stats by 0.

So basically all gear will do is shifting stats from useless to more useful stats.
    That also means that as you manage to boost your offensive stats your defensive stats will suffer(greatly).
    High IL people are all glass cannons :)