test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Looking for Mods

Comments

• Options
    ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 58 Community Manager
    Ok, so, update: the two folks I reached out to are not interested in being moderators. So the poll is still open. If you have anyone who isn't already nominated in this thread who you want to put forward, let me know.
  • Options
    irene#2829 irene Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    Vote for me :3
  • Options
    stryker80#0653 stryker80 Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    Perhaps posting the job description, or at least some semblance of it, would help people to identify nominees who meet your criteria.

Not that I personally think there aren't already suitable nominees; it just seems that if you're still asking, then you'd like to see a larger pool, and so why muddy the waters with "popularity" rather than aptitude?
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Perhaps posting the job description

Because if he does that, anyone can apply to be mod for fun, or just quit whenever they want. He wanted someone who has reputation on the forum, which means someone he can trust to run the long race. Like he mentioned "We have only just started" in the 10 year anniversary topic.

I truly love forums, am very active and have endless ideas to manage the categories. Have knowledge on setting up php files and database too. Have been a mod and even admin in many forums in the past. I believe he wants to revamp the forum to make it simple, clear cut, and establish better communication between users and developers.

More importantly I have ten thousand of ideas which I wish to work on with mods and players. For example we should introduce a new "Average DPS in dungeon X" graph menu. That will motivate people to play, retry, grind, or even purchase in store items.

Do nominate me! I'm super active and long lasting. :p
    Post edited by irene#2829 on
  • Options
    arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    I would like to nominate @autumnwitch They've been a constant voice on these forums and provides both helpful information and constructive posts.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,099 Arc User

Because if he does that, anyone can apply to be mod for fun, or just quit whenever they want. He wanted someone who has reputation on the forum, which means someone he can trust to run the long race. Like he mentioned "We have only just started" in the 10 year anniversary topic.

I truly love forums, am very active and have endless ideas to manage the categories. Have knowledge on setting up php files and database too. Have been a mod and even admin in many forums in the past. I believe he wants to revamp the forum to make it simple, clear cut, and establish better communication between users and developers.

More importantly I have ten thousand of ideas which I wish to work on with mods and players. For example we should introduce a new "Average DPS in dungeon X" graph menu. That will motivate people to play, retry, grind, or even purchase in store items.

Do nominate me! I'm super active and long lasting. :p

A moderator is a forum police officer, thug, and often hatchet man as needed.

Don't throw your beliefs on what someone wants unless they specifically spell it out. Amb. Kael is the STO moderator. With the departure of the last active mod here, these forums were added to his. Policing the forums for one game can be hard enough. Adding more makes it more so.

If the Devs wanted better communication with the playerbase, they'd be here a lot more often. Percemer is the official go-between of the forums and the Devs.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    greywynd said:

A moderator is a forum police officer
    Don't throw your beliefs on what someone wants
    If the Devs wanted better communication with the playerbase, they'd be here a lot more often. Percemer is the official go-between of the forums and the Devs.

There is little to no value to get a police officer. Players of D&D Neverwinter are more mature than players of fortnite. There are some that reached their boiling point when things don't work, a temporary display of weakness, but it's fine after.

The forum needs a mod to tidy up things. It is currently very badly optimized. Multiple 8 year old topics still pinned. So many category and so difficult to find information and feedback from the community.

If you vote me as a mod, I'll pin the most commonly faced issue, or most wanted feature / most annoying bug that needs priority fix. Everything is so messy that a new content requires reply with blue text red text. There needs to be a mod that can consolidate data and present it as a topic or report to the developers. If Percemer is the go-in-between, why stop there. Why not get 3 more mods to do it.

I am not throwing my believes. Kael once ask the community if they want simpler forums. I am advertising myself. I know what you need and I am the solution! :p
  • Options
    hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    edited August 2023

There is little to no value to get a police officer. Players of D&D Neverwinter are more mature than players of fortnite. There are some that reached their boiling point when things don't work, a temporary display of weakness, but it's fine after.

The forum needs a mod to tidy up things. It is currently very badly optimized. Multiple 8 year old topics still pinned. So many category and so difficult to find information and feedback from the community.

If you vote me as a mod, I'll pin the most commonly faced issue, or most wanted feature / most annoying bug that needs priority fix. Everything is so messy that a new content requires reply with blue text red text. There needs to be a mod that can consolidate data and present it as a topic or report to the developers. If Percemer is the go-in-between, why stop there. Why not get 3 more mods to do it.

I am not throwing my believes. Kael once ask the community if they want simpler forums. I am advertising myself. I know what you need and I am the solution! :p

Actually greywind is right.. Moderator is forums officer, the person who enforce rules.

To be mod is not about having fun. It's about keeping order in forum. And you need be active here, not like check forum once per week. You need check more less daily.. Also not just check one or two topics, no no no. You sweep through many topics.
    Not mentioned that some forum members may report other members due inappropriate behavior. So you as mod also will have to check situation, evalaute it and make decision. Though I am not sure what permmisions mods have here in this forum.

Other thing, moderator should be not a popular person, but active in forum( visiting wise), and also person who do not afraid to do what's need to be done.. That's mean, regarless if certain person is popular or not,, if he/she breaks forum rules, do not afraid to apply punishments.

Other thing, there is non writen rule among all moderators, regardless in which forum you would be. . If you don't have thick skin, then don't bother to become mod or administrator. Cuz moderator to some degree represent company. And you are the first one who take hate and criticism.

Now about optimization..

Neverwinter forum need changes, that's true.. But some old threads/comments stil usefull. As like Zebular's writen instruction how coppy character from live server to preview( test). It;s old yet still usefull.
    Also in forum we had index like threads.. The Guides Index. You can find in guides forum part, but also in each class sub forums too..
    The purpose of it where to act as indexing, gathering links to specific gudes/information pages.

As for maturity.. Through my years of experiance I can say. That does not matter which game forum you take, or music or movie or etc.. There will always appear someone would try bend rules.
    Post edited by hadestemplar#9918 on
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,248 Arc User
    edited June 2023
    There are different level of duties a moderator may need to do.

IMO, the basic duty of the moderator is to monitor the forum, examine each post to check if it is appropriate. If not, uses different level of tools to deal with it such as:
    - keep monitoring to see if that get worse
    - remove the post
    - edit out the bad post
    - warn the poster
    - ban the poster

The basic moderator duty does not include more advance administration duty such as pinning and unpinning post. That would be forum administrator's duty. Sure, one can give that power to moderator but that means the person would be more than just a moderator.

I was a moderator in a team of moderators in a fantasy sport forum many years ago. It was okay in the beginning but not good in a longer run. That was no fun because I needed to be careful what I posted. Eventually, it would be easier if I did not post at all. Remember I mentioned I was in a team of active moderators (might be 6 or 7 and the keyword is 'active'), the target of my back was relatively smaller or shared. That forum had active administrator to assist. Do we have such luxury here?
    Fortunately (or unfortunately), that fantasy sport game site needed to shutdown. Otherwise, I would need to decide if I should quit.

A good moderator needs to be active (to check the posts in forum) and most likely inactive of posting his/her stuff. A good moderator should not be bias. Need to consistently keeping (and more importantly, remembering) that posture is tiring.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    dandelionboy#6023 dandelionboy Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2023
    Unsure of any of the suggestions here hahaha almost like stuff ramped up here and on discord directly after this thread.
    hope you all have a good day though and that the forum does get revamped.

-at work will try to word this better later.
    Post edited by dandelionboy#6023 on
  • Options
    hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    edited June 2023

Voting Irene. I lurk a lot and Irene is usually a positive poster and contributes a lot while never starting arguments or making petty posts and who's to say Irene can't lay down rules and be firm when needed.

Also Hadestemplar. I think he could be a good mod.

Thanks but I would have to decline. I am no longer active forum member. Only visit it time to time. Same can be said about game.. Also once 10'th Aniversary event ends, I gona stop play this game.

Post edited by hadestemplar#9918 on
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • Options
    autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    Since someone nominated me let say. (Thank you!)

Have been playing NW since Chult was released

Have run & own (and still do) a fansite forum for another game for the last 10+ years (can give a link if needed)

Have an active Twitter account with over 11K followers started over ten years ago

I am older (50+) and have been gaming since there was gaming

Have over 30 Neverwinter toons

Have owned a NW Guild for nearly as long as I have been playing

Also want to voice my support for plasticbat

Thanks!
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • Options
    stryker80#0653 stryker80 Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    Thank you to those who have elaborated upon what I was trying to imply about a mod being a mod and not a community advocate.

Also, I second the nomination of @autumnwitch

• Options
    rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    I'm too vocal about the company's mistakes and ruffle too many feathers, there is no way in hell they would make me a mod, but thanks for the noms. X
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • Options
    I forgot to nominate. I nominate no-one because we already have 2 people who are supposed to be interacting with the players on here and representing the company and being a go-between the Devs and us, and adding mods would just add one more layer of obfuscation.
  • Options
    bigblackafricabigblackafrica Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User

I forgot to nominate. I nominate no-one because we already have 2 people who are supposed to be interacting with the players on here and representing the company and being a go-between the Devs and us, and adding mods would just add one more layer of obfuscation.

That doesn't mean that the Forums don't need moderation, but I guess you're keeping in character with the previous post ;)
  • Options
    bigblackafricabigblackafrica Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User

Since someone nominated me let say. (Thank you!)

Have been playing NW since Chult was released

Have run & own (and still do) a fansite forum for another game for the last 10+ years (can give a link if needed)

Have an active Twitter account with over 11K followers started over ten years ago

I am older (50+) and have been gaming since there was gaming

Have over 30 Neverwinter toons

Have owned a NW Guild for nearly as long as I have been playing

Also want to voice my support for plasticbat

Thanks!

I'm also on board for the nomination of @autumnwitch They seem qualified and capable.
  • Options
    jana#2651 jana Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    I didn;t think of moderators as someone who moderated the content of what were saying but as people that would or could or might help with a real issue or add a thought to a discussion and be a bridge between the players and dev, when necessary. Somebody here mentioned that it would only take the devs 10 minutes a day to read the new posts, but that doesn;t mean they do. I think Irene had the right idea about a mod should get their attn. and shout back any info she got to us.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,248 Arc User
    edited June 2023
    jana#2651 said:

I didn;t think of moderators as someone who moderated the content of what were saying but as people that would or could or might help with a real issue or add a thought to a discussion and be a bridge between the players and dev, when necessary. Somebody here mentioned that it would only take the devs 10 minutes a day to read the new posts, but that doesn;t mean they do. I think Irene had the right idea about a mod should get their attn. and shout back any info she got to us.

What you described is not a moderator. What you were talking about is more like to be mediator or a kind of liaison.

It is up to Cryptic to define the role and power of the moderator. What you want and what you think is not necessary what you get.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    So I vote for Irene, it would be nice to be able to find information here. I can't find some tips I got now and I think Irene would do a great job of making this forum easier to navigate, and actually saying something helpful instead of just trying to look like she is being helpful. I don't see her worrying over petty stuff and being a HAMSTER over what someone writes. It should be a done deal that she is a moderator now. Rockster would have been good but he is not interested, by the way Rockster I love that word obfuscation.
  • Options
    What the hamster up there is for is a synonym for the third reich not a bad name for a female, thought I would clear that up because I will use N--I but not b----h. At least here.
  • Options

FYI Moderators are most often used to delete things which the people who run the forum don't want there. This forum is dead as a doornail (discord is where all the activity is currently, go and check for yourselves) and I heard someone saying jokingly on there the other day that there's more or less only about 3 people posting on the forum and that nothing happens there. So I ask myself why is there suddenly a need for moderators on the forum if activity is slow and most importantly no-one is arguing or fighting? Only thing I can think of is that a lot of the content we post on here doesn't reflect well on the company and they want to clean it up by deleting posts, but they want to pass it onto someone else so they can say it wasn't their decision, it was the moderators who decided to do it. That's why I was not contacted in the first round of noms and it was said that new noms should only be people not already nominated because I'm probably one of the main people they want to control by removing content I post. It's not rocket science.

The following graphic is something which caught my eye in an article yesterday, it's about Facebook and their fact checker system, but it can easily apply to moderators here as well. I'm pretty sure that whoever became a mod would be instructed to start deleting content not favorable to the company, which means you would never again be able to voice a complaint, dissatisfaction or point something negative or wrong out, it would only be a wall of glowing praise and positive statements about the game. Should this be allowed to happen have a long hard think about what you would end-up with - nothing will improve and the game will continue to be dumbed down, things keep going wrong, and players continue to be aggravated and disappointed in whatever happens with no way to voice dissatisfaction about it. You would be more powerless than you are already, which is pretty powerless let's be honest. Voicing your concern about things going wrong on here is about the only way (for all the good it does) you can feel you're at least trying to make things right for the game you love so much. There's literally no other avenue to do it. So do you really want that shut down as well by new mods who delete everything the company doesn't like? The forum doesn't need mods anyway, it needs more 2-way communication from the company to the players.

• Options
    What Rockster said are strong valid points, but it also lacks a little vision. For example if we believe companies will hire people to delete things in forum, or discord is the new and better platform, it signals that we believe the forum has no future. In a way it is destructive. I mean why not we be constructive instead. We construct the forums and make them epic like never before. We show the world that neverwinter forum is the most fun place to be.

For example if the forum can be revamped, there can be a new section "Game Insider" where players can get

- codes
    - secrets
    - best build
    - best mount / companion to get tips
    - Other tips

All it takes is just one very active mod to communicate these information, and to consolidate players feedback to update them often. New razor hardware gives a new code? A Mod to make a topic about it. Win-Win for business, for players.

To me, the forum is actually a better communication platform where people can fully think about stuff and to pen them in paragraphs, and able to read them and truly express themselves. I've heard of a true story where a couple easily quarreled over phone, but as they changed that channel and wrote to each other, they fall in love again. The forum is a place where ideas can be shared and evolve. Discord on the contrary are just temp stops for hi-bye visitors. People come in, look for codes, post a few messages and off they go to another channel.

The problem with forum is that without a constructive leadership, people can all become destructive. People don't agree with other people, they don't lift others, and they all just want to bad mouth or to attack the company. For example oh this patch doesn't have anything I want, so I claim this company sux or whatever. This unconstructive attitude can easily spread because the next reader will learn and do the same. But if there is an active, constructive mod to post constructive messages, to inspire the next reader, it can all be reversed. Instead of a negative toxic place the forum will be a place where people focus on building the next idea together. I want to help revamp the forums, and only be becoming a mod I can try to do it. If I'm not wanted, then I hope someone else can help realize this dream.
  • Options
    Moderators are volunteers. They aren't hired, paid, or have as much power as people seem to think they do. Most of their work is to sort through flagged posts, and in general make sure users are not violating forum rules.

Irene does make some good points for how the forum could be used, but that has no bearing on this topic of nominating others to be moderators, nor would it be in the likely job description of a moderator. I actually find it quite offensive how they've "nominated" themselves and no one has moderated their fragrant attempts to hijack this thread.
  • Options
    Yes the forum could be so many more things than it is, but it's not. Is the engagement really here population-wise to become those things? Who knows. It takes engagement and traffic to make things happen and keep happening. But at the end of the day a mod will not do anything that you can't do already Irene without being one. You don't need a title to do those things. So go for it. But imho the reason they're wanting mods at this point in time is to open-up a new a way to censor content and I feel sorry for whoever ends-up being the meat in the sandwich.
  • Options
    We have to be fast to revamp the forums. If we slacked and let competitors take advantage, we will lose.

Right now, Tarisland has opened their mmorpg beta. It's from tencents, the previous company that dropped cryptic. The beta might take a few weeks, and after that Neverwinter gets a strong competitor.

In the website one of their selling points is "never pay to win". It's quite a contradict, since they are the ones who made so many pay to win games.

The forum could use new mods to consolidate data and manage a new game info section. Also to handle pay to win complaints when competitors sent their soldiers to attack us in the near future. :p
  • Options
    Irene you and rockster really rock. What rockster posted from facebook, about third party fact checkers being liberals and non profits is so whats up today. Who would you want to fact check. Profit only people with a narrow agenda-to make others poor and themselves rich?. But what you IIrene, suggest for this forum is a people or person to person solution for a situation in our world that is becoming more untenable not less. And if you can do it here this whole game could become something really important. There is a big difference between petty complaints, real problems and critical solutions and you would be someone really good at discerning the difference and bringing about some real communication. Which if we all thought about it for a minute or two-is why the world is dying. Let Irene be a mod, and let this world live, what do we have to lose-besides life itself.
  • Options
    I think Autumnwitch would be great too.
  • Options
    Bumping for visibility.