test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Devs, stop deleting the fabric of the game for no reason.

rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User

This is ridiculous. I haven't been to Icespire Peak for a while, today I went there leveling-up a new character.
What did I see? Well more to the point what didn't I see. You thought it was a good thing and made sense to delete the flags on the poles near the bridge? Really? Why on earth did you do that. I mean are a few flapping bits of fabric such a load on the servers you can't run the game properly? WTF is going on. It's giving me PTSD-like symptoms at this point the way you do this stuff to us. I'm not sure what you're going to delete next. It doesn't seem to matter how large or small, it's all up for grabs. You already deleted half the locations, half the lore, half the fun of it, now the atmosphere furniture on the maps too? The maps we still have left and thought were safe? Who thought those flags should have been removed and who OK'd it as something which made sense to do? Honestly, do you guys actually care about the game or not. They're flags, they flap in the wind and they provide atmosphere,there could be no good reason to take them away. And what are the empty poles there for now, they make no sense anymore. Stop sabotaging Neverwinter. It's extremely frustrating and sad you keep ripping the guts out of it.

Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.

Comments

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User
    I believe it was removed long time ago and not something recent.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    First I've seen it and still doesn't explain why it needed to happen.
  • Options
    It's feedback.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    It stripped more than you reported. I believe at least few NPC were removed + other visual items. People 'soft' complained about that back then.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    Want to know the reason.
  • Options
    Thing is, we have enjoyed this work of art for years and immersed ourselves in the space as it was designed, but new players are now being denied the experience we all were able to have. It just doesn't seem fair or right that anyone who finds the game now gets to see only a much degraded version of it and seemingly for no logical reason. I would like to know why the flags were taken away. Specifically the flags.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User

Want to know the reason.

They never tell us "why".
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    jana#2651 jana Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    Are you tryiug to say the wind did it lol? I think Rockster's concern that the new players wont find Neverwinter as good as when he started legitimate and kind.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User
    Honestly, it isn't as good as it was. That's one of the reasons the playerbase drops every time they do a major overhaul.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited March 2023
    jana#2651 said:

Are you tryiug to say the wind did it lol? I think Rockster's concern that the new players wont find Neverwinter as good as when he started legitimate and kind.

Multiple layers of interpretation of my "joke" can be made. First obvious degree (more or less how i would explain it in roleplay), but also deeper and more symbolic ones.
    Good Neverwinter is like Rohan's flags in the wind. The wind blows and erodes continuously, and sometimes it rips out a flag or two. Kind of saying the same thing as @greywynd but in a nostalgic/sad poetic way.
    Post edited by tchefi#6735 on
  • Options

jana#2651 said:

Multiple layers of interpretation of my "joke" can be made. First obvious degree (more or less how i would explain it in roleplay), but also deeper and more symbolic ones.
    Good Neverwinter is like Rohan's flags in the wind. The wind blows and erodes continuously, and sometimes it rips out a flag or two. Kind of saying the same thing as @greywynd but in a nostalgic/sad poetic way.
    Another interpretation is 'Gone with the wind' like many aspects of the game. Yes, a lot of thing does not have to say it out loud.
  • Options
    chaderickrax#3780 chaderickrax Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    And Vallenhas still has trees that yearn to give someone a seizure.

I was watching an older video of Vallenhas on YouTube the other day, and it sucked to remember when the trees were...well...trees. There are multiple threads about it, and at one point a dev responded to say that they couldn't replicate the issue.

Half the trees in Vallenhas are ugly blotches of gyrating color and have been for over a year.

Agree on the flags point, and all the other similar points. If those flags were a big enough issue to merit removing, then this game is farther along in its life cycle than most of us realize.
  • Options
    chidionchidion Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Honestly, it isn't as good as it was. That's one of the reasons the playerbase drops every time they do a major overhaul.

I can't even count how many people said they are disgusted with the game because of all of the changes that occur over time. I'm not talking about adding new content but things like players grinding to upgrade their mounts to move faster, then having the game suddenly negate their effort by making all mounts move faster even for those who haven't made the effort to make it happen.

So much of the previous - now deleted content has definitive storylines with a starting point and end point, when the big boss was defeated in the Blacklake district for example, the zone was completed the player wins and and what rewards were available in that area were collected. No need to run hours, days, weeks of the same content to grind for completion rewards, it was time to move on to a new zone.

The hours and days obtaining and refining enchantments became a meaningless exercise in futility when someone decided to introduce an entirely different enchantment making the former ones all but worthless. Players grinding for seals to purchase a certain item only to have those seals become obsolete and no longer available and the items they were trying to acquire no longer available. Being rewarded duplicate items in special events players can neither trade nor sell is kind of insulting 'Here's the reward for your heroic efforts... it's worthless by the way'.

Too many changes, too frequently which seems to do little except negate much of the time and effort - not to mention real world currency players have invested in playing Neverwinter... Like the movie said it seems "The only winning move, is not to play"... make that "pay"
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    There is a lot of content that is MIA today. It would be nice if the devs would give us some indication as to their status:

Blacklake district
    Blackdagger ruins
    Helm's Hold
    Pirates' Skyhold
    Mount Hotenow
    Lair of the Mad Dragon
    Throne of Idris (the 5-man dungeon, not the solo version)
    Dread Vault
    Original Castle Never
    Call-to-Arms skirmishes (there are many of these)

I can see that they wanted to shorten the time it takes to reach campaigns so that new players don't become discouraged before they get to the "real" part of the game. Fair enough. As a guild leader, I can attest to the fact that the number of new players who quit before reaching that point was significant. Bringing in new players only to see them become disinterested before ever reaching level 80 was frustrating. Hopefully this content will return to provide some needed spice to the game.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Yea the location deletions were particularly painful, they were like home to us.

• Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    hustin1 said:

There is a lot of content that is MIA today. It would be nice if the devs would give us some indication as to their status:

Also Fardelver and Dwarf King's Crypt.

What bugs me most is that they keep remaking stuff that is still in the game (Demo and TOS) while there are whole dungeons that they could rework and bring back. Also the old skirmishes, CTA or otherwise to make the RSQ better. The current list has too many skirmishes that were build on the 'ranking' system for better loot, but no one cares about the loot so the mechanics of the skirmish become meaningless.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    pitshade said:

hustin1 said:

Also Fardelver and Dwarf King's Crypt.

What bugs me most is that they keep remaking stuff that is still in the game (Demo and TOS) while there are whole dungeons that they could rework and bring back. Also the old skirmishes, CTA or otherwise to make the RSQ better. The current list has too many skirmishes that were build on the 'ranking' system for better loot, but no one cares about the loot so the mechanics of the skirmish become meaningless.
    I get a twinge of sadness everytime I do the dwarven kings storyline on a new character and visit the old Gauntlgrym map. At the end (when you're in the old entrance area which was perma-open) I always make a point to go and stand in front of both dungeon entrances and remember. But I'm happy I can still go to the map at least and be there again. I wish they'd bring Gauntlgrym back, it was a nice event to do every day and brought people together.
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    I don't know why they don't bring Dread Vault back. It was a great dungeon. I can only surmise that someone at Cryptic is simply being hard-headed about it.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    hustin1 said:

I don't know why they don't bring Dread Vault back. It was a great dungeon. I can only surmise that someone at Cryptic is simply being hard-headed about it.

It also matches the end quest area in whispering Caverns design-wise.
  • Options
    ksellksell Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    End quest lair is like small dungeon itself; Dread vault boss mechanics are reused in new trial - kinda

All zones could end up with intro to dungeons eg. clockkwork tomb would be one ; this way we would get set of leveling Q (like we used to have before) and storylike intros (so we could skip those animation in runs)
  • Options
    caldochaud#4880 caldochaud Member Posts: 213 Arc User
    It's like the old Powerpoint and Skill Tree system. I thoroughly enjoyed them not just from the theorycrafter appeal, but from the sense of being invested in the development of my characters.

The major problem is that every MMO is being flooded by professional complainers who busy themselves picking a game appart simply because they can, and the developers very mistakenly listen to these professional complainers and make swaths of changes in a knee-jerk response instead of pausing... carefully thinking things through... and then taking the time to ask the actual dedicated playerbase whether there is a genuine problem or not. Had the developers done this in regards to Neverwinter Online, I believe that 90 percent of what has been removed would still be in the game today because the professional complainers were simply LYING to the developers. There was never truly a problem with Neverwinter Online to start with. Pre-Mod 13 Neverwinter Online was a vast, deep, immersive, engaging and beautiful game from start to finish! But such is the world of MMOs these days. Most MMOs' dedicated playerbase is routinely villified by developers as simply being "toxic" and "entitled", while the professional complainers are set up on a pedestal all in the name of "inclusiveness" and "representation."

The dedicated playerbase must be more vigilant, organized and vocal than these professional complainers or else we will simply lose everything we genuinely love in gaming.
    "Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire." - Sir Bernard Williams
  • Options
    ksell said:

End quest lair is like small dungeon itself; Dread vault boss mechanics are reused in new trial - kinda

All zones could end up with intro to dungeons eg. clockkwork tomb would be one ; this way we would get set of leveling Q (like we used to have before) and storylike intros (so we could skip those animation in runs)

Yea, I was referring to the design of the entire last area more than anything, the place where the laboratory is etc, all those squares everywhere were in Dread Vault. DV was in fact my most fave dungeon back then, long after I should have moved on and be doing other things I was still running it both because I enjoyed it and because I liked helping other people out who were having difficulty with it. I miss that big brain boss.
  • Options
    mintmarkmintmark Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 407 Arc User

...all those squares everywhere ...

Look up some pictures of bismuth crystals in a search engine... the squares are real! :)

• Options
    mintmark said:

Look up some pictures of bismuth crystals in a search engine... the squares are real! :)

I remember those days with the squares and "everyone is awesome" in Dread Vault. :)
  • Options
    mintmark said:

You learn something new every day! :-)))

• Options
    ksellksell Member Posts: 181 Arc User

ksell said:

Yea, I was referring to the design of the entire last area more than anything, the place where the laboratory is etc, all those squares everywhere were in Dread Vault. DV was in fact my most fave dungeon back then, long after I should have moved on and be doing other things I was still running it both because I enjoyed it and because I liked helping other people out who were having difficulty with it. I miss that big brain boss.
    The last subzone is basicaly new map, or the actuall location - at least for me; it sad we got just bits of ilithid here n there, and with that in mind Dread Vault would be interesting "addition". Even the zone skirmish, mianly with those aestetic was something really pleasing. I hope BHE in menzo is just some teaser and not final word in this matter.

• Options
    mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    They need to remove stuff like this so they can put in broken stuff like in New Sharandar that doesn't animate half the time because the map is swamped with mists, fogs, and other FX:s that makes the whole area a pain to go through.
  • Options
    gamgzy#8454 gamgzy Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Slightly off the original point but truth is, you need a healthy trickle of players always coming back to old areas for them to not turn into ghost zones and that's where the game is failing. No reason to ever go to back DBV and the rest after you've got the boons. I'm guessing River District will suffer as fewer ppl bother (or need) to grind Mirage and Northdark has nothing to offer after you have the weapon set.