test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Menu screens dark after patch?

myles08807myles08807 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 409 Arc User
After the massive patch on 9/20 my various menus...inventory, game options, literally every screen not involved in moving or fighting...became very dark. Nothing in any of the Options screens corrects this. Is anyone else having this issue and how do I correct it?

Comments

• Options
    masteryoda#6623 masteryoda Member Posts: 267 Arc User

After the massive patch on 9/20 my various menus...inventory, game options, literally every screen not involved in moving or fighting...became very dark. Nothing in any of the Options screens corrects this. Is anyone else having this issue and how do I correct it?

Many of us are still waiting to get into the game after over 12hours of maintenance, hope you find a solution but I can't get past start up on ps4 atm
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User

I am in PC. I don't have the problem you described.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    noname#9277 noname Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    > @myles08807 said:
    > After the massive patch on 9/20 my various menus...inventory, game options, literally every screen not involved in moving or fighting...became very dark. Nothing in any of the Options screens corrects this. Is anyone else having this issue and how do I correct it?

Same for me. After maintenance, all menu, inventary, etc are very dark
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    It would be easier to describe to dev if you can post the screen dump here.
    After you got the screen dump in your clipboard, you can past ('ctrl-v') to the post. You don't need external image hosting.

If you use Windows 10, 'Window_key" + "Shift" + "s" to get the screen capture. That will be stored to your clipboard.

e.g.

*** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    myles08807myles08807 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 409 Arc User

The boxes of my inventory are barely visible, and the numbers of stacked items also difficult to see.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

The boxes of my inventory are barely visible, and the numbers of stacked items also difficult to see.

Hmmm! I can only say from my monitor (actually 3 monitors), everything from your screen dump is very clear in the browser. No problem to see the numbers and the whole picture is not dark for me. I am not saying you don't have problem with your set up.
  • Options
    arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    edited September 2022

Hmmm! I can only say from my monitor (actually 3 monitors), everything from your screen dump is very clear in the browser. No problem to see the numbers and the whole picture is not dark for me. I am not saying you don't have problem with your set up.
    Clear for me as well, which leads me to think it's the monitor causing the issue. OP, try increasing your brightness settings.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I assume OP see the screen capture displaying in OP's browser is also dark. If that is the case, I would say it is OP's system problem because there is no Neverwinter involves when the static picture is displayed in a browser.

For OP, are you running Windows 11? If yes, are you running Windows 11 dark mode? Are you running HDR? Yes, I am just fishing.
  • Options
    senjorassenjoras Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1 Arc User
    I also have the same problem after the patch, all very dark and if I open the character or inventory type windows and close them everything goes jerkily :( the game is not smooth or clear as before.
  • Options
    nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    Thanks folks! We'll look into this and may reach out if we need more details.
  • Options
    midnightlight#2361 midnightlight Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 45 Cryptic Developer
    @myles08807 On my three monitors your screenshot looks fine and not too dark. Just to check, does your screenshot in the thread above look different than what you're seeing in game?

There are no UI changes we made that would have done this so I have to assume it's a settings issue. I would suggest resetting your options to default in Neverwinter to see if that helps otherwise it may be a monitor issue.
  • Options
    terramakterramak Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 991 Cryptic Developer
    Popping in to note that, if I'm guessing correctly, this may be similar to an issue I've been talking to folks internally about.

If the issue is that the borders of various UI elements (such as text, the squares around powers, etc.) draw too thickly and make it look "darker" because it's more obscured, then you may be seeing a similar issue to one I've been seeing and finally found reproduction steps to, recently. It seems to require having a high-DPI monitor and having scaling on.

And yeah, the bewildering thing is that it doesn't show up in screenshots, or in videos, so it's hard to prove it happens.

If your case is the same as mine: You can work around this by entering Fullscreen mode and exiting again. If you don't want that to mess with the size of your open windows / your desktop icon layout, you can instead do the following:
    • Find your Neverwinter executable (e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Neverwinter_en\Neverwinter.exe")
    • Right-click on the file and select Properties.
    • Go to the Compatibility tab.
    • Click the "Change high DPI settings" button.
    • Activate the "Override high DPI scaling behavior." checkbox. Then click OK.
    This will, unfortunately, make text in the game small, but you can fix that by using the in-game UI Scaling options.

I hope this works in the short term, while we look into a long-term fix that doesn't require such a weird workaround.