test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

High end rigs and Neverwinter... unplayable?

2»

Comments

• Options
    l3thin4thl3thin4th Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 198 Arc User
    I think that drop in FPS is due to the spikes of lag (since it happens on ALL of your systems).

rivodu's problem is happening on a specific configuration.

It is confirmed that the problem appears when you have your client receiving or elaborating a packet about damage.
    if you put on /netgraph do you see an accumulation of received packets just before a crash?

Lethinath - DC

Fayn Fiddler - HR

Jean Fiddler - OP

Quinn Fiddler - TR

Tre'Davious Flynn - SW

Bogus Skullslicker - GF

Vanhankaupunginselk - CW

Alea - GWF

Noble Misfits

• Options
    rivodus07rivodus07 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Soŕry been a away for a while work has me doing alot of hours.

Some good news! Ok so I managed to put my CPU back to its stock settings It's a 6700k i7 skylake.. It was overclocked to 4.4.. Now it been put back to stock 4.0. So I logged in and started playing and I played for about an hour I tested different zones different mobs I even completed a quick kessels run and shores run no problems at all..

Now saying that there was one time I managed to get the game to work for 30mins about a week ago and it crashed then... So I have to keep testing..

If I can play an hour or two a day everyday for next week I will say the issue is fixed.. so I will be back soon to post my results.

It looks promising.
    Post edited by rivodus07 on
  • Options
    tantrumusmaximustantrumusmaximus Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    These are the facts I've learned since I built my system... (3) 144Hz monitors in surround (5970x1080) and TriSLI 980s. Ran that setup for about a year.

Any shader that is translucent like the slime mount/ghost horse/slime monster in Clock Tower quest "WHILE in FULLSCREEN MODE" will bring FPS to it's knees (5FPS for example.) It doesn't matter if single card or SLI, doesn't matter in what resolution.

Taking the above in consideration and putting the game in Windowed Maximized all the above goes away and I have butter smooth gameplay even when translucent objects are on the screen.

I now gave up on Surround gaming (too much of a hassle getting all the games to work right) and just play on a single WQHD Asus Rog 2560x1440 with Gsync and still the above holds true and play in Windowed Maximized mode.

This has been my experience with NW anyhow... I'm running 353.62 drivers as all the newer ones have SUCKED!
  • Options

These are the facts I've learned since I built my system... (3) 144Hz monitors in surround (5970x1080) and TriSLI 980s. Ran that setup for about a year.

Any shader that is translucent like the slime mount/ghost horse/slime monster in Clock Tower quest "WHILE in FULLSCREEN MODE" will bring FPS to it's knees (5FPS for example.) It doesn't matter if single card or SLI, doesn't matter in what resolution.

Taking the above in consideration and putting the game in Windowed Maximized all the above goes away and I have butter smooth gameplay even when translucent objects are on the screen.

I now gave up on Surround gaming (too much of a hassle getting all the games to work right) and just play on a single WQHD Asus Rog 2560x1440 with Gsync and still the above holds true and play in Windowed Maximized mode.

This has been my experience with NW anyhow... I'm running 353.62 drivers as all the newer ones have SUCKED!

Did you try different DirectX too?

Lethinath - DC

Fayn Fiddler - HR

Jean Fiddler - OP

Quinn Fiddler - TR

Tre'Davious Flynn - SW

Bogus Skullslicker - GF

Vanhankaupunginselk - CW

Alea - GWF

Noble Misfits

• Options
    Well guys I'm done.. it's still crashing in combat the game is unplayable.. it's like driving a car without a steering wheel.

If anyone EVER finds a solution to this problem please post here. I am sick to death of this issue.

How the hell am I the only one having the crash issue in combat? I have run so many tests, bend over backwards to change settings all over my pc.. I'M DONE
  • Options
    rivodus07 said:

Well guys I'm done.. it's still crashing in combat the game is unplayable.. it's like driving a car without a steering wheel.

If anyone EVER finds a solution to this problem please post here. I am sick to death of this issue.

How the hell am I the only one having the crash issue in combat? I have run so many tests, bend over backwards to change settings all over my pc.. I'M DONE

Same thing as before?
    I mean, before you were crashing as soon as a combat started. Still the same?

Lethinath - DC

Fayn Fiddler - HR

Jean Fiddler - OP

Quinn Fiddler - TR

Tre'Davious Flynn - SW

Bogus Skullslicker - GF

Vanhankaupunginselk - CW

Alea - GWF

Noble Misfits

• Options
    Yes still the same. sometimes the crash happens right away.. sometimes it happens 10 minutes into combat the longest I have ever managed to run the game normally while fighting was just under an hour, then of course it crashed during combat.

The game is a "standing around in town simulator" now.

as long as I don't enter combat I can run the game for days.

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    Hey,

I just read through this thread (hours ago and posted half a message and then got sidetracked) and I have to say this is all incredibly strange. I no longer have a top of the line computer but it is still way up there and has always been able to play the game with no issues even when the rest of the community was screaming about low FPS.

There's no doubt this isn't the most low level computer friendly game in the world. I hear people say they play the game at minimum settings in the teens of FPS which just send shivers down my spine as those people obviously have no concept of what "playable" means...

However upper end rigs have generally been able to powerhouse through the demanding upper limits of the game. Newer modules seem to consistently put more and more stress on my system but overall it still plays the game without any issue minus the texture glitch which was apparant after Mod 4 but nearly consistent after mod 5....example. But even then it was more of an annoyance and never caused crashes.

All I can really say is I am sorry you are having this problem. I'm almost inclined to say it might be due to Skylake or DDR4 but asking you to test the game with a fourth generation Intel processor and dDDR3 is no small request. If you have access to them I'd be curious to see if there is a link as new technology can and does cause compatibility issues.

As I had to tell people when Windows 10 launched, there's always a chance that your very specific combination of parts cause a problem. It doesn't matter what intensive programs your computer can run because it only grants you the potential for performance. Your super computer which renders Neverwinter at 144 FPS could very well be unable to play movies at the proper settings if the software has a compatibility issue with your specific computer.
    It actually happened to me where I could play Skyrim at maxed settings at a steady 60 FPS when it launched but was unable to play a web browser based MMO above 5 FPS due to a compatibility issue with my AMD CPU and/or GPU. However unlike that MMO I am not going to tell you that your computer is below specifications (No joke that was what they told me and others for months when suddenly the game became unplayable) but rather that there is likely some piece of code which is not behaving properly with your specific hardware that will at the very least take some time to track down the root cause and resolve between the hardware, driver and game developers.
  • Options

Hey,

I just read through this thread (hours ago and posted half a message and then got sidetracked) and I have to say this is all incredibly strange. I no longer have a top of the line computer but it is still way up there and has always been able to play the game with no issues even when the rest of the community was screaming about low FPS.

There's no doubt this isn't the most low level computer friendly game in the world. I hear people say they play the game at minimum settings in the teens of FPS which just send shivers down my spine as those people obviously have no concept of what "playable" means...

However upper end rigs have generally been able to powerhouse through the demanding upper limits of the game. Newer modules seem to consistently put more and more stress on my system but overall it still plays the game without any issue minus the texture glitch which was apparant after Mod 4 but nearly consistent after mod 5....example. But even then it was more of an annoyance and never caused crashes.

All I can really say is I am sorry you are having this problem. I'm almost inclined to say it might be due to Skylake or DDR4 but asking you to test the game with a fourth generation Intel processor and dDDR3 is no small request. If you have access to them I'd be curious to see if there is a link as new technology can and does cause compatibility issues.

As I had to tell people when Windows 10 launched, there's always a chance that your very specific combination of parts cause a problem. It doesn't matter what intensive programs your computer can run because it only grants you the potential for performance. Your super computer which renders Neverwinter at 144 FPS could very well be unable to play movies at the proper settings if the software has a compatibility issue with your specific computer.
    It actually happened to me where I could play Skyrim at maxed settings at a steady 60 FPS when it launched but was unable to play a web browser based MMO above 5 FPS due to a compatibility issue with my AMD CPU and/or GPU. However unlike that MMO I am not going to tell you that your computer is below specifications (No joke that was what they told me and others for months when suddenly the game became unplayable) but rather that there is likely some piece of code which is not behaving properly with your specific hardware that will at the very least take some time to track down the root cause and resolve between the hardware, driver and game developers.

You know what? Your right.. The game even crashes in "safe mode" It HAS to be a hardware problem like you said the new Skylake or the DD4 or the new m2 hard drives or something like that...

I have a feeling once the DEVS upgrade there rigs to Skylake and DDR4 and all that jazz the bug will happen to them and it will get fixed no doubt. So I guess it's a waiting game.. Like iv'e said in previous posts I still have my laptop and that is working fine with Neverwinter so I guess I will play on low settings with that for how ever long it takes.

Well at least I can log in and run around and do whatever I want ... apart from hitting mobs.. or training dummy's or any type of combat.

• Options
    vasiamen1vasiamen1 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    For future generations:
    It looks like I found a solution, these steps helped me get rid of game crashes:
    1) go to launcher settings
    2) uncheck mark "On-demand patching"
    3) let the launcher download all game files
    4) check "On-demand patching" back
    5) enjoy the game :smiley:

p.s. found on Reddit this CLI command and added to "Command Line" launcher option: "-ArcOverlayEnable 0" just for safety.