test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Not a fan of the Dragon Hunts system

janhow#7164 janhow Member Posts: 27 Arc User
I don't mind grouping with people to run the occasional instance but mostly I started Neverwinter because it was ranked #1 for solo play. I've done all the events that get replayed every year so a new module is what gets me playing. The last one could be done complete solo except the new Trial. Not all gear was great, but some of it was pretty good. Previous modules were similar, I didn't feel compelled to always have to group up.
Well this one is different. I solo'd about 20 Dragons so far (and a couple in Dragon Well) but that really isn't useful even with a modifier. I did a few Adult Dragons in random and they were challenging as 1 person was always much lower DPS. So I figured time to try Ancients. Spent a lot of time grinding W.O.D. while in random queue, finally baled. My current guild was pretty barren since the mass exodus of the last year or so. I changed guilds. Seems they already have a core group so I'm thinking about jumping again... Then I realized solo play is pretty much gone. If I want better gear I need Ancients and 4 other people. I need to schedule around 25 minutes with 4 other people several dozen times a week for the next few months if I want to go after most or all the mythic gear.
So I'll wait a couple weeks and see if there are any changes that allow solo play to be productive and cut down on needing a group constantly when I play. If you are in a guild already and have a core group, good for you! Please say how wonderful it is to whomever is left to listen. The average players will NOT be able to random Ancients with their gear and the fact people will give up on multiple wipes. Thus creating the smaller haves vs the have nots. Other MMOs may have you group up for instances/raids 2x or so a week, but solo play is still viable. This game basically became a true multi-player only game. I hear my old Lich King friend is making a return so I may cut my losses...

Comments

• arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    IMO, this is not any where #1 solo mmo, where ever you heard that was sorely mistaken. SWTOR and GW2 are miles ahead when it comes to being solo friendly. Adults can be solo'd but I doubt Ancients will be able to be solo-able.
  • janhow#7164 janhow Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    I played mostly solo for the past few years. I bought some gear off the AH but I was able to build a decent DPS Warlock with close to 90% PWR, CRIT, CRITSev and 75% CA with pots/food and just <70k IL. I wouldn't want Ancients to be solo, but it'd be nice if there was a change. Maybe all parts drop solo less frequent, Adult - more often, Ancient most the time. Or random Ancients were tuned for random and drops were less than private/pre-made. Or more parts needed for solo/Adult and only a handful from Ancients. I don't see an issue with any of these being a better option. Maybe I'm in the minority and my opinion won't matter. Only time will tell, but if I'm right it'll be too late to turn this ship around after all the recent damage it's taken.
    I believe Adults have a 50% drop rate for most parts...you can hover over the parts needed in the store and see more info.
  • chaderickrax#3780 chaderickrax Member Posts: 245 Arc User

I don't mind grouping with people to run the occasional instance but mostly I started Neverwinter because it was ranked #1 for solo play. I've done all the events that get replayed every year so a new module is what gets me playing. The last one could be done complete solo except the new Trial. Not all gear was great, but some of it was pretty good. Previous modules were similar, I didn't feel compelled to always have to group up.
    Well this one is different. I solo'd about 20 Dragons so far (and a couple in Dragon Well) but that really isn't useful even with a modifier. I did a few Adult Dragons in random and they were challenging as 1 person was always much lower DPS. So I figured time to try Ancients. Spent a lot of time grinding W.O.D. while in random queue, finally baled. My current guild was pretty barren since the mass exodus of the last year or so. I changed guilds. Seems they already have a core group so I'm thinking about jumping again... Then I realized solo play is pretty much gone. If I want better gear I need Ancients and 4 other people. I need to schedule around 25 minutes with 4 other people several dozen times a week for the next few months if I want to go after most or all the mythic gear.
    So I'll wait a couple weeks and see if there are any changes that allow solo play to be productive and cut down on needing a group constantly when I play. If you are in a guild already and have a core group, good for you! Please say how wonderful it is to whomever is left to listen. The average players will NOT be able to random Ancients with their gear and the fact people will give up on multiple wipes. Thus creating the smaller haves vs the have nots. Other MMOs may have you group up for instances/raids 2x or so a week, but solo play is still viable. This game basically became a true multi-player only game. I hear my old Lich King friend is making a return so I may cut my losses...

I agree with every single word in this post.

The new hunt system is taking a game that is skewed heavily towards solo play (whether everyone agrees with the quality of that play is irrelevant) suddenly got yanked not just into queues but into the realm of private queues due to the level of challenge involved in fighting them.

My wife has a tank. We queued adult with a Tier 1 Easy and a Tier 1 Medium, got a healer to join us randomly...and it was a titanic slog that we almost lost. There are two more tiers of Easy and Medium, and two more ranks of modifiers above both of those. That's staggering levels of difficulty.

And for all the time that went into that hunt, I got a horn. Well, also the middle-finger reward that is a black opal. Don't forget the black opal.
  • chaderickrax#3780 chaderickrax Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    Hit post too soon:

To finish the campaign in 7 weeks (SEVEN. WEEKS.) you need to kill something like 16 dragons a week.

The slog that is one dragon was exhausting. Utterly a waste of time.

I don't know if I have it in me to do this once. This will absolutely be the first campaign that I don't complete on any of my other characters. I love looking at all the checkmarks accumulated, but the streak is broken by this.
  • lordseth1985lordseth1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 319 Arc User
    Hi. Since the launch of Dragonslayer, I'm having A LOT OF ISSUES! First of all, the "elitism" in thsi game is more and more clear, shiny and bright. If you don't have the required Ilvl/weapons/enchatments/etc you never get a chance to group with anyone and run some adults or even ancient dragons. You have 50 ilvl? sorry, but never gonna find a group. 60k ilvl? maybe you get lucky and find a group.

Sorry, but that's just BS, based on a mod where you need to group up to hunt those dragons... even with guildmates, some just don't want to run those hunts cuz... they don't want to spend time on something that in 2 or 3 months will become obsolete.
    Avestruz.Q.T.Seduz - Rogue, natural born assassin.
  • lordseth1985lordseth1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 319 Arc User

The new hunt system is taking a game that is skewed heavily towards solo play (whether everyone agrees with the quality of that play is irrelevant) suddenly got yanked not just into queues but into the realm of private queues due to the level of challenge involved in fighting them.

My wife has a tank. We queued adult with a Tier 1 Easy and a Tier 1 Medium, got a healer to join us randomly...and it was a titanic slog that we almost lost. There are two more tiers of Easy and Medium, and two more ranks of modifiers above both of those. That's staggering levels of difficulty.

And for all the time that went into that hunt, I got a horn. Well, also the middle-finger reward that is a black opal. Don't forget the black opal.
    EXACTLY! Hos in 9 hells you raid a dragon's hoard and get a simple gem... not even a magic item? c'mon, anyone that ever played pen and paper Dungeons and Dragons know that a dragon's hoard is worth untold treasures...
    Avestruz.Q.T.Seduz - Rogue, natural born assassin.
    How about this - W.O.D. is a joke now. You can farm Crackling to swap for others and Chromatic for your Guild. I like that. The Dragons are HAMSTER - I can solo them and they drop HAMSTER. Since so many people have high IL and get scaled down when they do Dragon Hunts, it's horrible. How about making the W.O.D. dragons super Ancients that need about 20 people or more that drop parts for epic gear so all these people can get better gear and a 10% or 20% chance at an Ancient part? Then people can farm them as a solo player not needing a pre-made, can do them at any time when convenient and actually improve gear for playing the Dragon Hunts. And maybe on a random timer have a "special" Dragon(s) that pops at random that would need the zone full to be able to kill it with better drops. Pop it up where the Tiamat entrance is. I really don't want to hear how much more work it would be. You'll see in a couple months if you don't.
    Nothing like random adults 3 person, tank, healer, high DPS. Tank can't hold aggro, poor healer is trying to keep me alive. I die in phase 2 and still do 45 mil dmg, tank has 10 mil and even w/ death sickness couldn't hold aggro. Most the time I was hit w/Chaos. I hope the 10% enjoying this mess can keep this game a float to see if the next module is better...
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,217 Arc User
    edited June 2022

Nothing like random adults 3 person, tank, healer, high DPS. Tank can't hold aggro, poor healer is trying to keep me alive. I die in phase 2 and still do 45 mil dmg, tank has 10 mil and even w/ death sickness couldn't hold aggro. Most the time I was hit w/Chaos. I hope the 10% enjoying this mess can keep this game a float to see if the next module is better...

I did random adult the first time today. Sure, I was killed and revived twice mainly because I did not know green dragon mechanic and .... well, careless. There was no tank. Sure, the dragon chased me. But overall, it was not a hard fight for my 66K (scaled down to whatever it is supposed to be) bard and I don't really know how to play bard correctly. e.g. he has no feat (I have not assigned any) and never use daily. He is not high DPS. He had top dps in that run though, double the next guy.

I am sure I can't run ancient though. At least, not running in in cold turkey.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    OK. I think you made my point. I ran a few Adult with only DPS that had well built toons. We crushed them. Did 6 Ancients and the same. Ran with another poor DPS high IL toons and fought my butt off on Adult. One of 2 deaths in 60+ runs. Poorly built toons will make this rough. FYI a good group can do Ancients without a healer and high modifiers. Only companion healers. Unfortunately this isn't meant for players that have high IL but poor stats. Scaling will be painful.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    Scaling has been painful since they introduced it.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited June 2022
    I ran a few random adult dragons with my ranger, sometimes with a tank, sometimes without. For some odd reason I had threat much more than average, even though I did the least damage overall. So, much of the fights involved me getting thrown around like a rag doll, but it worked out in the end, mainly because I was using the Drowned weapon set. Maybe threat is somewhat "sticky", such that if I don't drop it doesn't migrate to another player?
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited June 2022

And for all the time that went into that hunt, I got a horn. Well, also the 'middle-finger' reward that is a black opal. Don't forget the black opal.
    At least you got a Horn one time, I've done 5 and never got a Horn, Claw, or Scale yet; granted you need to unlock all easy rewards, and possibly several mediums just to have a chance. Yet I was first mostly progressing the Wings of Dragons for Campaign, the Dragon Slayer doesn't interest me all that much if at all.

Still I agree, given that in one Dragon Hunt you can easily burn a lot of Greater Stones of Health; even with 10% dmg & resistance.

They really should boost boost Heroic rewards, to encourage people to do them, by dropping even a little Silver from Enemy; even like 125 Rough Astral Diamonds for Minor Heroic's, or 250 R.A.D. for a Major Heroic.

I do the BARE minimum each day for Dragon Hunts, Wings of Dragon's is more appealing, yet Dragon Slayer really isn't that much. Maybe as I continue to raise in item level I'll rethink that, as the 1850 Mystic Armor is appealing, just it's a longer term thing to earn.

There would be Tiamat too, yet they took that out before even 1 day had passed; clearly someone doesn't realize they are going 'over-board' on the difficulty here. *sigh* :(
    greywynd said:

Scaling has been painful since they introduced it.

While most never liked it, it wouldn't be quite so bad if they reduced the damage done by 10-15% across the board. I haven't even unlocked the higher difficulty on any of the Dragon Slayer Campaign.

That's the biggest issue often, enemy hits are not just way too hard, they are significantly heavier damage than they should be, especially given the lockups, roots, slows, and everything else they do! While you barely can control, root, freeze, or do anything, and a good player with Max Item Level might finish in 10-16 minutes, some lower ones can often take up to 30m or slightly longer.

*sigh*
    Post edited by strathkin on

Hit post too soon:

To finish the campaign in 7 weeks (SEVEN. WEEKS.) you need to kill something like 16 dragons a week.

The slog that is one dragon was exhausting. Utterly a waste of time.

I don't know if I have it in me to do this once. This will absolutely be the first campaign that I don't complete on any of my other characters. I love looking at all the checkmarks accumulated, but the streak is broken by this.

I think Dragon Slayer never ends so take as much time as you need, it's on the Wings of Dragon's that ends Aug 22nd. Most should have 7/20 progress toward that if you did 3 the first day, and one each day since. Still plenty of time to finish it, got 2 months.
  • chaotisedchaotised Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2022
    I have only one issue - if your servers disconnect me during 1st phase of fighting dragon, I'd really like to be able to rejoin during intervals and not get stuck behind the wall for the entire fight.... It's nonsense. Why you are making those intervals for? So that the disconnected unfortunate has longer time to be useless?
  • unknowndramaunknowndrama Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User
    For me is this:
    The GOOD PART: Is in que and you can party up with people...que last forever
    : New gear to farm
    The BAD PART : Most annoying combat and not fun to play ...who thought that getting kicked and disrupted is fun..when challenging content means to be kicked and disrupted all the time..
    I don't think i will play this content for long time..i doubt i will get all the gear..and i hope in future content mods...you give up on this annoying pushing and disrupting shiit..not fun at all
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,217 Arc User
    edited June 2022

For me is this:
    The GOOD PART: Is in que and you can party up with people...que last forever
    : New gear to farm
    The BAD PART : Most annoying combat and not fun to play ...who thought that getting kicked and disrupted is fun..when challenging content means to be kicked and disrupted all the time..
    I don't think i will play this content for long time..i doubt i will get all the gear..and i hope in future content mods...you give up on this annoying pushing and disrupting shiit..not fun at all

Did the dragons before this event also kick and disrupt?
    However, you did those hundreds times and you probably didn't even see that anymore. Your muscle memory allowed you to avoid those without even thinking.
    Well, after you do this hundreds times, you probably will not see those too.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • stryker80#0653 stryker80 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    chaotised said:

I have only one issue - if your servers disconnect me during 1st phase of fighting dragon, I'd really like to be able to rejoin during intervals and not get stuck behind the wall for the entire fight.... It's nonsense. Why you are making those intervals for? So that the disconnected unfortunate has longer time to be useless?

WHEN the servers disconnect. "If" implies they might not.
    edited June 2022

Have you played the ancient hunts, the majority of their attacks have no noticeable animations/warnings that they are either going to eat you or fill the arena with instant death rings for the dps...

The adults are manageable the ancients are on steroids and it's totally ridiculous how much they rag doll you and eat you consecutively and they hit way too hard.

My reply:
    That's the biggest issue often, enemy hits are not just way too hard, they are significantly heavier damage than they should be, especially given the lockups, roots, slows, and everything else they do!

Yea that's what I meant above, you'll need 20-25% Damage boost verses Dragon's & the same with Slayer & Protection Ward's from Dragon Potions, also the 10% Rare Guild Ward's; and even consider the Claw of Behamut & Scales of Behamut from Dragonborn Pack just to have HOPE.

It's better to start at a new release reducing damage by 10-15%, yet say this is only for 1 weeks to learn new mechanic's and allow people to learn. Then in 1-2 weeks evaluate results and increase damage by 5%, 10%, 15% based on results they observe. Wish they'd do that more often! o:)
  • masteryoda#6623 masteryoda Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    > @strathkin said:
    > My reply:
    > That's the biggest issue often, enemy hits are not just way too hard, they are significantly heavier damage than they should be, especially given the lockups, roots, slows, and everything else they do!
    >
    > Yea that's what I meant above, you'll need 20-25% Damage boost verses Dragon's & the same with Slayer & Protection Ward's from Dragon Potions, also the 10% Rare Guild Ward's; and even consider the Claw of Behamut & Scales of Behamut from Dragonborn Pack just to have HOPE.
    >
    > It's better to start at a new release reducing damage by 10-15%, yet say this is only for 1 weeks to learn new mechanic's and allow people to learn. Then in 1-2 weeks evaluate results and increase damage by 5%, 10%, 15% based on results they observe. Wish they'd do that more often! o:)

That's not a bad idea, and sounds better than just throwing bosses on steroids at us
  • cracklepants#2252 cracklepants Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    I have complained about content in the past, but think they have done a decent job on this with the exception of scaling. I have done pugs and alliance groups, and had success with both (of course much more with alliance.) Currently rank 34. For adults, as long as there is a tank or healer that is not a total porkchop, odds of completion are good. We usually run 2 DPS and either a tank or healer.

The exception is the black dragon. That one is a freaking nightmare.

I am having fun, even dying so much, but do think the required IL is severely understated.
  • zebulondaktoidzebulondaktoid Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    I really like the dragon hunts although you will have trouble queueing solo if you aren't pretty tough and happen to get partied with a few weaklings. I have noticed that a lot of the more experienced players won't pug the hunts, preferring to enter with a premade group, so that makes it tougher to just join a random group and expect any degree of success. I have also noticed a few people forming groups demanding unreasonably high IL and even Band of Air to join even for adult dragons. Fair enough, it is their choice if they want a fast run, but it would be nice if more people invited less experienced players to join their hunts, even if it does take a couple of minutes longer to complete the hunt.
  • silente07#2597 silente07 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    Games not casual anymore and folks are becoming more elitist and unwilling to train or help new players or just even play with them.
    You want in a 20 you have to have 65+ item level among others.
    So it will remain this way or more likely get worse as the experience players get what gear they need and stop playing.
  • stark760stark760 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 654 Arc User
    The game can be played solo, but since Mod 16, group play has been involved in almost everything to get the newest gear. ME's Avernus hunts, now this. Maybe you can consider bounties good solo content, I didn't. The RNG of wasting 2-3 hours to try and get gear once per day wasn't fun for me. Nor was grinding in avernus for hours farming lures, and then settling for RNG, and starting over. At least this way people don't have to argue over who gets the 1 drop from the hunt.

Most groups that have struggled that I went in with, played 3 hard/expert modifiers, even if showed it was the black dragon on the side. Also people taking alts through now, without knowing class all the way. And scrolls. If you're going to play modifiers, take at least a few scrolls. VIP is a good source of trade bars, and 200 bars gets 25 scrolls. I'm not saying you have to instantly use one, but if a run fails, its usually because someone is in fire, acid, etc and can't be picked up without someone else dying. And they let timer run out and are out rest of fight. But if you want mythic gear guaranteed, it should be halfway hard. How many people wasted 100's of hours in avernus making a T3 lure, with friends that helped, and didn't get the ribcage? A lot.
    Most groups are formed within guilds and alliance imo. But if you want to group with certain types of players, you can always be the one that starts a group. If people want to have super high requirements, they are welcome to it, if they want more casual, they are welcome to that as well. Be the change you want to happen.
  • stark760stark760 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 654 Arc User
    ALso, avoid itty bitty at all costs. Lowers entire party defense 15-20%. DPS have 15%-20%, and die from the wing push ive seen, and tanks 65-70%, so they die off the bite, and dragon goes after dps. Tanks need to know party running it, and run augment with defense and push defense 10-15-20k overcap to offset itty bitty.