test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Money disappearing so I can't craft.

jana#2651 jana Member Posts: 597 Arc User
After upgrade to workshop 3 which cost a helluvalot because they didn't add up my filled commisions with the AD I ended up giving which I noticed to late, but after all that I started to have to pay to craft anything. 5 or 6 silver and a lot of shillings. I don't buy much with the money anymore since I started making my own potions. But before that stupid upgrade I did not have to pay to craft anything, except the ingredients if I didn't want to wait for them to collect it. I had 700 in gold not that long ago (I know a lot of you have a lot more) and really begining to feel successful, then the workshop 3 started and I thought oh boy I will be able to make better things. Well I can only make the same things as before and it is charging me an arm and a leg to make anything and I just want to know if that happens to everyone when they get to workshop 3. I am lucky now if I have 22 in gold and that is only from selling the alexandrites from lock boxes, before I would refine them. Why would you want to pay millions of astral diamonds just to have to pay for everything you make? That makes no sense to me. And one of my other characters who is still at the 2nd level workshop has to pay too. She has maybe 21,000 in stats if that matters. Can anyone tell what their experience has been because I cannot get an intelligent answer from support. I have asked them over and over does this happen to everybody and all they do is ask some pointless question. Also my money disappears sometimes on quests. Appreciate any answer in advance.

Comments

• Options
    tamtoucantamtoucan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    Workshop levels just increase the storage space of your box and the chance of getting high level artisans (you can only get epic and level 4).

Gathering resources costs money (it shows you how much per item). Crafting an item costs money (again it shows you how much). The artisan you use has a "commission multiplier" percetage. If that is 200% then it will cost you 3 times as much to gather/make item, so be careful who you use. The workshop level makes no difference to either of these things except you will be able to gather/create more before the box fills up. Item level (I assume that's what "21,000 in stats" means) has no effect either.

Crafting is basically a gold farm. Look at the low level things you can craft and sell (not on AH, just to vendor). You can make about 30gold a day with just using your 400 morale to craft then sell. Ask anyone in game about what to make.

Other than a gold farm crafting isn't much use, unless
    1. Making +1 health pots (depending if you actually need to heal yourself much, and if you have an artisan that makes the cost worthwhile)
    2. Armor reinforcement kits. Useful when you are tweeking your stats. You really need a -50% or -75% commission multiplier otherwise it will be cheaper to buy off the AH (the kits cost AD, not just gold)
    3. If you spend a lot of AD and time then you can get Mastwerworks and make the Masterwork weapons.
  • Options
    rheylinsark#1888 rheylinsark Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    jana#2651 said:

Also my money disappears sometimes on quests. Appreciate any answer in advance.

Are you wearing a piece of gear from Undermountain called Thief's Stolen Gloves? That gear piece has an equip bonus called Golden Steal that states: "Your attacks have a chance to cause extra damage, but at a financial cost." These gloves may be the source of this specific issue for you.

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,218 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    jana#2651 said:

After upgrade to workshop 3 which cost a helluvalot because they didn't add up my filled commisions with the AD I ended up giving which I noticed to late, but after all that I started to have to pay to craft anything. 5 or 6 silver and a lot of shillings. I don't buy much with the money anymore since I started making my own potions. But before that stupid upgrade I did not have to pay to craft anything, except the ingredients if I didn't want to wait for them to collect it. I had 700 in gold not that long ago (I know a lot of you have a lot more) and really begining to feel successful, then the workshop 3 started and I thought oh boy I will be able to make better things. Well I can only make the same things as before and it is charging me an arm and a leg to make anything and I just want to know if that happens to everyone when they get to workshop 3. I am lucky now if I have 22 in gold and that is only from selling the alexandrites from lock boxes, before I would refine them. Why would you want to pay millions of astral diamonds just to have to pay for everything you make? That makes no sense to me. And one of my other characters who is still at the 2nd level workshop has to pay too. She has maybe 21,000 in stats if that matters. Can anyone tell what their experience has been because I cannot get an intelligent answer from support. I have asked them over and over does this happen to everybody and all they do is ask some pointless question. Also my money disappears sometimes on quests. Appreciate any answer in advance.

You always need to pay copper/silver/gold to craft before/after/no upgrade. The amount may just be small and you did not notice. You ALWAYS need to pay to craft EACH time. The copper/silver/gold are reduced when the product is delivered. You have been paying it since your first craft when you stepped into workshop the first time.

In the craft window, there is 'commission'. That is the amount of copper/silver/gold you need to pay for each craft for that item using that particular artisan. Even the lowest level1 item, it will charge you like 11 coppers.

In addition, different artisan charges different rate for commission.

Regarding paying million AD to upgrade the workshop, most people don't use AD to upgrade their workshop. Those who do are those who want to upgrade the workshop in hurry or impatient to upgrade workshop through crafting (which can take months).

After you buy a company for a million dollar, do you still need to pay your staff to make product for you to sell? Even if your staff are your slaves, do you still need to pay for electricity and buy meal to feed them?

If you don't have enough gold, your workshop crafting can give you gold by crafting low level item and sell it to the vendor.

Most people would have gold gain (instead of lose) from workshop if they check their math and know what to craft to sell. So, check your cost (the commission from gathering and crafting) to make an item vs the gold you can get from the vendor. If it is positive, you gain. If it is negative, you lose. In a nutshell, only low level items can give you positive gold. Level 1 item gives you most positive gold. In short, do your math. There is no bug as far as I interpret your description.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    Thank you for your answers, Maybe I did pay to craft but it was so little I never thought I was, just for ingredients if I didn't have them. But the difference after I went to workshop 3 was immense, I know somebody said it just gives you more room and better artisans but for me it charged me so much it was ridiculous, and I was starting to lose gold on quests and I didn't have any equipment that cost to use either. I already was selling everyday with what I made so I would have money for potions etc. Now I don't have money to craft with most of the time and I am sorry I upgraded. I do know how to do the math and I was making money before and now I make money from selling alexandrites when I get them or stuff I don't want from a quest. If my experience is so different there must be some kind of bug that I got. Also I don't have any way to make armor reinforcement kits, Im at 20 but there is nothing like that on my lists.
  • Options
    By the way SamTouCan thank you for the information about the commission on the artisans. I never thought the negative sign was any good. I am going to check them out right now. ty again.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    jana#2651 said:

By the way SamTouCan thank you for the information about the commission on the artisans. I never thought the negative sign was any good. I am going to check them out right now. ty again.

If you want to save gold, you want negative commission. The best would be -75%. +% commission is bad in terms of cost of gold.

If you don't have enough gold, make gold through crafting. People uses Workshop to make more gold (enough to sell for AD) and not losing gold. People uses Workshop like a "bot" (a legal bot) to make gold everyday. It is the best, the easiest and the most consistent "offline" mechanism to make gold in the game.
    No, there is no bug based on what you described. It is just you don't understand and did not look/read carefully.
    As far as I know, upgrade does not raise cost. It actually can drop cost because you can get better artisan.
    I would say if you did it right, with the initial investment of may be 5 gold (just a ball park figure, probably does not need that much), you should be able to generate infinite amount of gold from workshop without using gold from external (outside of workshop) source anymore.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    methuslah#7626 methuslah Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    Ever since crafting was changed to the current system you have to pay copper/ silver/ gold for every item you gather or make. The higher the level of the item you make the more the base cost (commission) to create. This is then modified by the artisan used by anything from 1/4x the commission cost (artisan -75% commission) up to 3x the cost (artisan +200% commission).

The higher level the item is to make the higher the commission cost, so like someone said above, the 1st level items only cost a few copper each item made. By the time you start making higher level items, for example the higher level healing potions, they cost over 1 gold commission (with potions this may be for 12 in a batch) so this very quickly eats into money. If you then used a +200% commission artisan this can take the cost up to 5 gold per batch made. If you left several artisans making items at this kind of cost it would very quickly deplete your gold.

You say that you are losing gold when you are doing quests, but I suspect this is not the case. If you make items using morale, the gold is paid each time you click to make each item. However, if you set artisans up to make items whilst you are away from your workshop this causes your money to drop every few hours or so. The commission cost is paid when a job begins, so when you set it up initially you pay, say 1 gold. If you've told it to make a certain number of items or just continuously, after 3 hours (or however long the time listed) the first job is complete and it starts the next one, deducting 1 gold. This continues until the number of items you asked for is made, until your workshop box is full, OR until you run out of gold, deducting the cost to make every 3 hours or however long it takes. If you don't know this is how it works you just see your gold dropping every few hours.

So, if you have 3 artisans doing jobs at the same time this would make you money drop bit by bit and is why it looks like you are losing gold whilst doing quests.

Make sure you're using your best artisan for the job. If you have several to choose from you have to weigh up which is best for you at that time. Often the low commission ones have lower chance to succeed so you might pay more for higher success for example. If you leave them running whilst you are away, it's probably better to use a lower cost but slower artisan for example.

The commission cost will only be taken if that character has enough money to pay for it. If you put gold into your shared bank it is NEVER taken from there. Personally I keep all my gold in the shared bank and take it out as I need to, that way I know exactly how much I'm using.

As said above, you can easily make money using your workshop, instead of making items you would use. As an example, in leatherworking, if you make a reinforced leather belt it will cost under 2 silver to buy parts and commission cost. Once you've made it you can sell it back to a vendor for 35 silver, giving you around 33 silver PROFIT. It only takes 5 morale to make one item, so you can make 80 per day with morale, giving you around 26 gold profit. You can then leave these items being made whilst your away giving you over 30 gold profit per day as mentioned above.

There are similar profits to be made in each of the crafts, so you can pick one to work on, and even level new artisans up doing so.

So, remember, CHECK your artisan to avoid paying huge amounts of gold. SET the number of items to be made rather than leave the workshop running until it's full. KEEP your gold in the shared bank so you can't accidentally use it all up by picking a high cost artisan.

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    Thank you! That really explains a lot. I don't care what anyone says when I first started it was so minimal if any, this new system bites, Thank you all.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    jana#2651 said:

Thank you! That really explains a lot. I don't care what anyone says when I first started it was so minimal if any, this new system bites, Thank you all.

The "new" system is the only system you have been dealing with. The "old" system is long time ago like 5+ years ago. There was no workshop at all in the old system. It did not even have gathering.
  • Options
    I didn't mean enhancements I guess I meant the armor reinforcement kits. I don't have the option to make them and my gold disappears when I am on a quest and I have no gold eating gear I have a major bug or someone is assasinating my characters for some corporate reason which actually wouldn't be as far fetched as it sounds. I cant fashion anything, because way before the morale runs out my money does. Everyone acts like i am just stupid, but I know the difference and if a tier 4 upgrade should have done nothing but give me more storage than I have a major glitch, bug whatever.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    jana#2651 said:

I didn't mean enhancements I guess I meant the armor reinforcement kits. I don't have the option to make them and my gold disappears when I am on a quest and I have no gold eating gear I have a major bug or someone is assasinating my characters for some corporate reason which actually wouldn't be as far fetched as it sounds. I cant fashion anything, because way before the morale runs out my money does. Everyone acts like i am just stupid, but I know the difference and if a tier 4 upgrade should have done nothing but give me more storage than I have a major glitch, bug whatever.

You just don't understand how it works.
    Do it slowly. Write down your gold amount. Write down what item you make, write down the artisan you use. Write down what the expected gold cost. Then, check if the amount of gold disappears correctly. Do it one at a time.

As far as I know, nobody has your problem.

Which armour kit you want to make? What are the levels of each of your 7 profession?

Armor kit does not use GOLD to make. It uses AD to make.

Greater defense, Great HP Armor kit are in level 15 of Armorsmithing.
    Major defense, Major HP Armor kit are in level 18 of Armorsmithing.

Other type of Greater XYZ Armor kit are in level 15 of Artificing, Blacksmithing, Jewelcrafting, Leatherworking, Tailoring.
    Other type of Major XYZ Amor kit are in level 18 of Artificing, Blacksmithing, Jewelcrafting, Leatherworking, Tailoring.

Workshop tier upgrade only gives you
    (a) the bigger size of the collection box,
    (b) higher number of artisan you can hire,
    (c) quality of the artisan (blue and purple).

No, it does not cost you more to make the same thing using the same artisans in the process.
  • Options
    mintmarkmintmark Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 406 Arc User
    Just another thought... what is your gold bonus listed on your character screen? I know this can be increased with things like insignia of prosperity (so you collect more gold, from monsters and from quests), but I don't think it could go below 0%.