test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Executive Producer Q&A Thread?

ukspawnukspawn Member Posts: 426 Arc User
Meet the new Executive Producer for Neverwinter! Brett Norton will be joining us for a Q&A stream next Tuesday, March 8! We will be taking live questions and also ones you can start posting now on this forum thread.

Thread not up yet? Just goes to a page saying "you do not have permission"

Comments

• Options
    cranky#1430 cranky Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    when u going to stop breaking things when u try and fix others ?
  • Options
    cranky#1430 cranky Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    how much will it cost to send your coders back to coding school so they don't break more of the good game
  • Options
    b0rkch0pb0rkch0p Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    Doesn't matter tbh.. the forum thread wont be read till theyre streaming and even then wont be used cause theyll care about the chat... #frustrating dont ask us to do something if you just smoke and mirror us
  • Options
    blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    Brett, if you are reading this thread, I wish you the best of luck with this crowd. :trollface:

I hope people will remember this is the new guy, not the old one who replaced the other guy. Brett Norton was the director on Aliens: Colonial Marines (2013), lead designer on F.E.A.R. Extraction Point (2006) and the production designer on Axis & Allies (2004). He hasn't done anything with Neverwinter yet. Please do not treat him like he is Scott Shicof on his first day on the job.

Just killing time...
  • Options
    mrimsogoodmrimsogood Member Posts: 147 Arc User

Brett, if you are reading this thread, I wish you the best of luck with this crowd. :trollface:

I hope people will remember this is the new guy, not the old one who replaced the other guy. Brett Norton was the director on Aliens: Colonial Marines (2013), lead designer on F.E.A.R. Extraction Point (2006) and the production designer on Axis & Allies (2004). He hasn't done anything with Neverwinter yet. Please do not treat him like he is Scott Shicof on his first day on the job.

Wasn't that a huge flop?
  • Options
    kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User

I hope people will remember this is the new guy, not the old one who replaced the other guy.

LOLZ!!!!

He's the new EP, not to be confused with the last guy in this role, or the guy he replaced or the guy he replaced or the guy he replaced or the guy he replaced.

Wait a minute...I sense a trend here.

• Options
    hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User

Wasn't that a huge flop?
    Which one? I looked up some ratings but I never play any of these titles.
    Depending on who reviewed these games, they got mixed reviews.

Here are the review scores from Metacritic.
    Aliens: Colonial Marines - 45/100 (PC) - 43/100 (PlayStation) - 48/100 (XBox)
    F.E.A.R. Extraction Point - 75/100 (PC) - 66/100 (XBox)
    Axis & Allies - 65/100 (PC)

You can't blame one individual for the success or failure of any project. It is a team effort.
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User

Wait a minute...I sense a trend here.

Yes, and the question to ask is why is NW changing producers so often.

My guess: The job is hard and unsatisfying since you have to struggle to produce enough content to keep the game alive with minimal resources.

My guess: Being producer for NW gives very little status or career prospects since NW got so few players. I guess that the producer status ranking in the game world is closely tied to the number of players in the game.

Basically a producer training position.
  • Options
    hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    Blargskull was telling me this morning he plans to tune into the stream and watch. With players being so judgemental of anyone new showing up is far too common. They expect immediate changes, like a bunch of kids in a 24 hour road trip to Disney World, shouting "Are we there yet?". This is suppose to be a warm welcome for a GearBox employee being placed here to make changes for the better. About the only thing that would concern me, if I was here to play Neverwinter D&D, does this man know the genre and how familiar is he with D&D lore?

The games he has worked on before, seem to be about war, first person survival shooters, and not so much story driven content. How flexible is he on working in fantasy realms?
  • Options

This is suppose to be a warm welcome for a GearBox employee being placed here to make changes for the better.

You think this is a Gearbox representative sent to assess the NW situation?

You could be right.. got any references that he comes from the Gearbox organization?

• Options
    powerpuff#6508 powerpuff Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    If Cryptic wants to have a "touchy-feely, here is who I am and my goal" type of livestream, they can. They just need to set expectations. Answering questions from a slightly (?) miffed gaming community probably isn't a good way to do that. If the Producer and Community Manager don't see that, they have only themselves to blame.
  • Options
    blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User

This is suppose to be a warm welcome for a GearBox employee being placed here to make changes for the better.

You think this is a Gearbox representative sent to assess the NW situation?

You could be right.. got any references that he comes from the Gearbox organization?

Brett was moved from GearBox to Cryptic. Aliens: Colonial Marines is a GearBox product. Not a "bad game" just full of glitchs like so many games these days. However I can tolerate Bethsda every time I bootup Oblivion, Skyrim, and Fallout New Vegas. This is GearBox putting their person at the wheel.

Just killing time...
  • Options
    rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    Looking at the trends at Neverwinter steam statistics through the last 12 months, my only question would be if he intends to maintain at least some player-base by a transition to pure maintenance mode, or if he aims to hasten the fall by trying to implement additional "bright" ideas.

But to be honest, it would be unfair to aim such a question at a brand new guy. :D So, I wish him luck - it will be needed.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,233 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    He probably just wants to see what kind of question ask and get a feel of the product he inherited. For his own career (unless he was directed by upper management), he should not want to do maintenance mode for a PR answer or for his own career path answer.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    powerpuff#6508 powerpuff Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    Apparently this guy plays NW and is well aware of the issues in the game. A positive development.
  • Options
    thany#4351 thany Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited March 2022

Apparently this guy plays NW and is well aware of the issues in the game. A positive development.

True and he told that we can forget about foundry. And why we should forget. He was realistic imho. Not that Chris promise too much kind of twitch stream.
  • Options
    Did anyone write a summary or transcript of the Q&A?
  • Options
    chisca17chisca17 Member Posts: 25 Arc User

Did anyone write a summary or transcript of the Q&A?

Credit to Deadmano for this:
    - New replayable content soon akin to Barovia hunts?!
    - Return of CTA events???
    - Day Of The Dungeon Master return
    - Bard fixes!
    - 3 modules in the works, with one being close?!
    - No foreseeable major combat changes/changes to fit into current constraints.
    - No ETA on strongholds/masterwork updates yet.
    - Looking into increased storage space?! (Bank Space?!)

I'll also add that there were talks about more "streak-breaker" style rewards, like the Knox-Box, with a lockboxes rework.