test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fighter Bug List

nevertwinevertwi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 80 Arc User
edited April 2022 in Bug Reports (PC)
Due to a recent discussion I did a round of testing to identify which bugs the Fighter class currently has. Undocumented behavior (like Stamina Regeneration Stat not applying on any Stamina refill feat) was assumed to work properly and is not contained here. Additionally most threat mechanics are left out of testing due to its unconcise data (no combat log information nor any other number). The same applies to animation times and cancelling. I found the following bugs (the list now includes additional reports from this thread, thanks! Have to update this entry text later.):
  • Tide of Iron uses Magical Damage Boost instead of Physical Damage Boost in its formula.
  • Knight's Valor is extremely vague and has a bug: Any blocked damage (e.g. by guarding) is transferred to you as piercing damage ignoring the limit. It can effectively kill you! The guard meter is still reduced by that amount, thus meaning that the damage is inflicted twice!
    Possible fix: Please see comment #13
  • Staying Power (Vanguard T1 Feat): Description: "Enforced Threat now grants the added effect of increasing threat generated by at-wills for 6 seconds."
    Bug: The buff icon appears, but the threat generated by at-wills is unchanged.
    Possible fix: Update the threat modifier.
  • Rising Tide (Vanguard T2 Feat): Description: "Tide of Iron grants the effect of Rising Tide, causing you to deal additional physical damage whenever an attack strikes multiple enemies. Magnitude: 25 Duration 3s"
    Bug: It deals 40 Magnitude instead.
    Possible fix: Update the tooltip, because the feat is already quite bad.
  • Cleaving Bull (Vanguard T2 Feat): Description: "Bull Charge no longer knocks back targets and now grants the effect of Cleaving Bull, causing you to deal additional physical damage whenever an attack strikes multiple enemies. Magnitude: 40 Duration 6s"
    Bug: It deals 50 Magnitude instead.
    Possible fix: Update the tooltip, because feats shall provide a change in the game play.
  • Shake it off (Vanguard T5 Feat): This one is already known too, but I will repeat it: Description: "Increases the magnitude of Retaliate by up to 300 based on your remaining stamina. Damage decreases as remaining stamina decreases."
    Bug: It is the other way around: It deals 0 additional damage when Stamina is full and deals 300 Magnitude damage when it is empty.
    Possible fix: Update the tooltip, because the feat makes this way more sense! "Damage increases as remaining stamina decreases."
  • Momentum (Dreadnought Class Feature): Description: "Bull Charge no longer knocks targets, but deals an additional 300 Magnitude damage. Movement speed is increased by 20% after running for 2s Effect ends when movement stops."
    Bug: It deals 400 Magnitude instead.
    Possible fix: Update the tooltip.
  • Heavier Slash (Dreadnought T1 Feat): Description: "Grants your at-will attacks a 20% chance that your next heavy slash will deal an additional 300 magnitude damage."
    Bug: The tooltip does not state that the at-will Heavy Slash can not trigger the feat. It was a documented change some years ago.
    Possible fix: Update the tooltip.
  • Weight of Vengeance (Dreadnought T1 Feat): Description: "Grants Anvil of Doom the effect of dealing an addional 380 magnitude damage, recovering from cooldown 4s faster, and consuming 15 vengeance. No effict if your Vengeance Gauge is below 15."
    Bug: The tooltip from Anvil of Doom states that it deals 1260 Magnitude in 1 hit instead of saying it provides 380 Magnitude by an additional hit.
    Possible fix: Update the tooltip to state the additional hit instead of an Magnitude increase.
  • Ricochet (Dreadnought T2 Feat): Description: "Shield throw now bounces to up to three nearby enemies dealing 10% less damage to the second target, 20% less damage to the third target and 30% less damage to the fourth target. [...]"
    Bug 1: The second hit does not deal 405 Magnitude damage (representing 10% less damage), but instead deals 400 Magnitude damage (50 Magnitude less damage instead of 45).
    Bug 2: The fourth hit does not deal 315 Magnitude damage (representing 30% less damage), but instead deals 320 Magnitude damage (~29% less damage).

Possible fix: Update the damage numbers or the tooltip. In the end the overall damage would be the same.
  • Crushing Blows (Dreadnought T3 Feat): Description: "Whenever you attack you have a chance to deal a crushing blow consuming 5 vengeance to deal an additional 150 magnitude damage. [...]"
    Bug: Into the Fray is able to trigger it. If this happens it reduces Vengeance by 5. Into the Fray gets applied to any close standing alli and even to companions. For each alli (companion) a dice is rolled to test if Crushing Blow is triggered on the alli. Thus it is able to trigger Crushing Blow often and is able to significantly reduce Vengeance. Theoretically this can exceed 50+ Vengeance! The 150 Magnitude damage is not dealt to the allies.
    Possible fix: Update Crushing Blow to ignore Into the Fray or mark Into the Fray as no "attack.
General bugs, which interfer with Fighter mechanics:
  • Movement Speed from Bonus Enchantment getting removed after using Dig In / Seethe. See the video from modlesie below.
  • Lionheart Weapon Set with Retaliate: This one complicates tests: When triggering Retaliate shortly (below 1s) after activating Dig In, the bonus of the Lionheart Set is calculated with around 91 Stamina only. This 91 can be reproduced repeatedly: Use Survivor's Wraps to receive damage, use "Perfect Block" to let your Stamina stay at 100% and trigger Retaliate.
Other unreproduced bug reports (partially floating around in other threads in this forum) stating that:
  • Knight's Valor keeping people in combat after combat ended for some time.
  • There were quite a few reports of Encounter Powers / Dailies being cancelled not properly by each other.
  • Hard taunts not properly working sometimes in Reapers Challenge.
Combat Logs are left out unless they provide any additional use to devs.
Please post any more bugs if you know more!

Fixed Bugs:
  • Retaliate (Vanguard mechanic): Reference Bug Report When Retaliate crits it is countered by the Critical Avoidance stat of the player making it effectively hit less than a non critical Retaliate.
    Fixed on Patch NW.135.20220208a.1
Post edited by nevertwi on

Comments

• Options
    modlesiemodlesie Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    movement speed still broken, Wonder How long it will take to fix this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDkK0i2ZLpg
  • Options
    taikaias#9396 taikaias Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    I have noticed Fighter's encounters/dailies cancelling each other out or not doing damage at all.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

I have noticed Fighter's encounters/dailies cancelling each other out or not doing damage at all.

Do you have special encounters / dailies in mind that are notorious for that behavior? And when special powers cancel each other out, what was your expected behavior to take place? Asking that, because there are cases where you implicitly expect to cancel other powers out: Like raising your shield and cancel your currently cast Tremor.

Edit: I found some Bug reports regarding it: However, I am unable to reproduce any of the mentioned bugs. More Information (which encounters, what else happens, which powers are queued and so on) or a video would help.
    Post edited by nevertwi on
  • Options
    sergey235711sergey235711 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    Staying Power feat (vanguard paragon) doesn't work at all. Checked with all 6 at-wills.
  • Options
    nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    Thanks for the thread. Adding it to the weekly report and also saving for future internal class discussions.
  • Options
    taikaias#9396 taikaias Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    I don't usually play my Fighter's dps build, unless I am questing and I notice it then. I watch the animations go through, but no dmg numbers proc with the animations. I only use Heavy Slash, Earthshaker, Bull Charge, Anvil of Doom, and Onslaught. I hear other fighters that mention the same thing. They play the fighter's dps more than I do.
  • Options
    modlesie said:

movement speed still broken, Wonder How long it will take to fix this.

Great video. Thanks. Added the bug to the list.

Staying Power feat (vanguard paragon) doesn't work at all. Checked with all 6 at-wills.

Thanks. Verified and added the bug to the list.

I don't usually play my Fighter's dps build, unless I am questing and I notice it then. I watch the animations go through, but no dmg numbers proc with the animations. I only use Heavy Slash, Earthshaker, Bull Charge, Anvil of Doom, and Onslaught. I hear other fighters that mention the same thing. They play the fighter's dps more than I do.

Thanks. Added the bug to the list.

Thanks for the thread. Adding it to the weekly report and also saving for future internal class discussions.

Nice to hear (read)!
  • Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    edited February 2022
    Into the Fray (DPS): Using the power will reduce your potty "Vengeance" meter by 25%.

• Options
    wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User

Wouldnt it be a better idea to fix the bugs that have been in the game FOR YEARS instead of saving the information for future discussions ?
    Elite Whaleboy
  • Options
    scratcheesscratchees Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    yeah i posted about the encounters on my fighter canceling each other out before but today its super noticable its doin it all the time and its been bad the past week i can get it to reproduce thats not an issue what happens is anvil of doom i hit key it starts animation if i tap a second time it cancels and cooldown starts the attack never happens and now i am see'n it with lunge is doin the same thing only it will start to lunge but cancel on second tap and i will rubberband back or i will hit target and and on second tap hit target a second time or it wont go at all then theres onslaught i now have to be dirctly in front of a target right up against it to activate the attack if the target moves a tiny bit it drops the attack when normaly i just need needed to be in range to activate the attack and then theres the heavy slash if your like me and constantly pound that in between cool downs it looks like you are flailing your sword in the air it doesnt actully hit anything that one is difficult to reproduce alot but i see it happening more when battling a mob that others are attacking as well those are the attacks i have just reproduced the bug very simply by goin in neverdeath and battling little mobs
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    rjc9000 said:

Into the Fray (DPS): Using the power will reduce your potty "Vengeance" meter by 25%.

Nice discovery! Small correction: ITF is not the real cause of this behavior. It is the combination of the Feat Crushing Blows and ITF. The loss of 25 Vengenace is not static either. It can be any multiple of 5 depending of how many allies get the buff from ITF and how often Crushing blow is then triggered by ITF. I added the combination of Feat and ITF as a bug to the list.

yeah i posted about the encounters on my fighter canceling each other out before but today its super noticable its doin it all the time and its been bad the past week i can get it to reproduce thats not an issue what happens is anvil of doom i hit key it starts animation if i tap a second time it cancels and cooldown starts the attack never happens and now i am see'n it with lunge is doin the same thing only it will start to lunge but cancel on second tap and i will rubberband back or i will hit target and and on second tap hit target a second time or it wont go at all then theres onslaught i now have to be dirctly in front of a target right up against it to activate the attack if the target moves a tiny bit it drops the attack when normaly i just need needed to be in range to activate the attack and then theres the heavy slash if your like me and constantly pound that in between cool downs it looks like you are flailing your sword in the air it doesnt actully hit anything that one is difficult to reproduce alot but i see it happening more when battling a mob that others are attacking as well those are the attacks i have just reproduced the bug very simply by goin in neverdeath and battling little mobs

This sounds a lot as package loss between client-server or when the server drops delayed packages and overrides the client with its current state. Do you see similar behavior on other classes too? And if possible, may you add a video? That would probably help the devs to identify the issue.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Had found some time to test Knight's Valor to improve my Fighter guide:
    • The good news: The aggro transferred works fine.
    • nevertwi said:

Knight's Valor does not properly work sometimes, for either its damage interception or for its aggro part.

Other good news: I found out why it behaves weird in some cases like player getting killed even with KV covering the player, but that stems from the vague tooltip.
    • One bad news: There is a bug that may kill the Fighter. If the covered target blocks incoming damage this damage is not only depleting the block meter but also gets transferred. Thus the damage is inflicted twice!
    Before addressing the two last points, let's clear out KV's current behavior.
    My guide already covers a more complete description of KV thus I ll simply copy the a more complete tooltip over:

Cover the nearest party member, intercepting every second all pre mitigated damage from the target up to your current amount of Hit Points. The damage you receive is the post mitigated damage that the covered target would take given as unavoidable, deflectable piercing damage. If the damage over the Hit Points limit would still kill your covered target, no damage is transferred to you.

Added Effect: All threat generated by the covered target is transferred to you. The transferred threat is not further increased by any threat multiplier. The covered player does not gain any threat while linked.

Bug: Any blocked damage (e.g. by guarding) is transferred to you as piercing damage ignoring the limit. It can effectively kill you! The guard meter is still reduced by that amount, thus meaning that the damage is inflicted twice!

That is probably too condensed for the reader: My guide already covers examples thus I ll copy them over too:

Let's assume that our party consists of a Fighter tank that has 1 000 000 Hit Points and a Barbarian Tank with 700 000 Hit Points which can survive some hits from Halaster. Let’s also fix Halasters damage values to fixed amounts for a nicer calculation (completely made up):
    Arcane Blast deals 250 000 post mitigated damage (500 000 pre mitigated on the Barbarian, note that the Combat Advantage vs the Barbarians Awareness is already calculated in the pre mitigated damage). Arcane Blast is cast three times with 0.7s delay in between.
    Annihilation deals 750 000 post mitigated damage (1 500 000 pre mitigated on the Barbarian).

Let’s draw some scenarios:
    –1a) Completely Intercepted Arcane Blast–
    The Barbarian draws aggro and the Fighter activates KV at full HP (limit=1 000 000). The Barbarian takes immediately the first Arcane Blast hit. KV intercepts the (pre mitigated) hit and lowers the KVs limit by 500 000. The Fighter takes the post mitigated 250 000 piercing damage and has now 750 000 HP. The second Arcane Blast is cast and is still in the one second time frame where KV has not updated. Thus the limit is still 500 000. The second hit is again completely intercepted and the Fighter takes again 250 000 damage. The Fighter now has 500 000 HP. KV updates and the new limit is now 500 000. The third Arcane Blast is completely intercepted and the Fighter takes again 250 000 damage. The Fighter now has 250 000 HP. The Barbarian is still at full HP.

–1b) Not completely Intercepted and Deflected Arcane Blast–
    Let’s modify scenario 1a). The Fighter activates KV at full HP (limit=1 000 000). 0.5s later the Barbarian draws aggro and takes immediately the first Arcane Blast hit. KV intercepts the (pre mitigated) hit and lowers the KVs limit by 500 000. The Fighter takes the post mitigated 250 000 piercing damage and has now 750 000 HP. KV updates and the new limit is now 750 000. The second Arcane Blast is cast. The second hit is completely intercepted and the Fighter takes again 250 000 damage. The Fighter now has 500 000 HP. KV’s limit is reduced to 250 000. The third Arcane Blast is cast which is still in the one second time frame of the second Arcane Blast. The damage from Arcane Blast is only half intercepted and both the Fighter and the Barbarian take 125 000 damage. The intercepted damage is furthermore deflected by the Fighter (25% Deflect Severity) dealing 125 000 / 1.25 = 100 000 damage. The Fighter has now 400 000 HP and the Barbarian 575 000 HP.

–2a) Not completely Intercepted Annihilation–
    Let’s assume that scenario 1a) happened: The Barbarian has 700 000 HP. The Fighter has 250 000 HP and KV is still up. The KV limit is at 250 000. The next attack is Annihilation. The Barbarian takes the Annihilation without using the guard. 250 000 damage is intercepted by KV, dealing 125 000 damage to the Fighter. The remaining 1 250 000 pre mitigated damage deals 625 000 damage to the Barbarian. Both survive!

–2b) Barbarian gets killed case–
    Let’s modify the case 2a): The Barbarian has only 500 000 HP left. The Fighter has 250 000 HP and KV is still up. The KV limit is at 250 000. The Barbarian takes the Annihilation without using the guard. 250 000 damage is intercepted by KV. The remaining 1 250 000 pre mitigated damage deals 625 000 damage to the Barbarian and kills the Barbarian. The intercepted 125 000 damage is NOT dealt to the Fighter. Only the Fighter survives!

–2c) Bug: Barbarian guarding kills the Fighter case–
    Let’s modify the case 2a). The Barbarian raises the guard and takes the Annihilation guarded. Now the KV Bug hits in: The KV limit is 250 000. 250 000 damage is intercepted by KV, dealing 125 000 damage to the Fighter. 280 000 post mitigated damage is absorbed by the guard. This damage is dealt to the Fighter too, killing the Fighter. The remaining 690 000 pre mitigated damage deals 345 000 damage to the Barbarian. The Barbarian is the only survivor. His guard meter is depleted! and the Barbarian has 355 000 HP left.

Now back to the two last points:
    1. Point 1) "Other good news: I found out why it behaves weird in some cases like player getting killed even with KV covering the player, but that stems from the vague tooltip."
      The description makes clear why sometimes players die even when covered by KV: The inflicted damage over the limit will still kill the player! No damage is transferred to the Fighter.
    2. Point 2) To the bug: The description above already tells about the double inflicted damage. I ll just add a picture that provides its math and evidence that indeed the damage is inflicted twice:

This should be sufficient right, @cryptic-developer @nitocris83? If anything is still unclear, feel free to ask!