test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wizard changes

ravenmaddravenmadd Member Posts: 11 Arc User
edited September 2021 in The Library
Great job not listening to people who actually know how to play CW... MM is so sluggish I went from doing 13 encounters to 8 on daily / arti calls. animation locked so cant dodge as easy as you could with ray of frost.. doing less damage then before the changes now in ST. Only good thing is FB being almost instant cast, but with a 12 second hard CD on smolder ect how do you really expect to keep up with TR getting 3 encounts ( at 3x magnitude of FB ) ? FB hitting for 3300 at 59k IL with 90x4 ratings cant proc bonedevils. This rework is a absolute fail. After seeing how bad of a job the DEV's have done on a CW rework, it's no wonder the player base is diminishing more and more each day.
Post edited by ravenmadd on

Comments

• fritz#8093 fritz Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    I think it's baby steps tbh.

Let's assume they fix Steal Time by significantly raising the magnitude to make it better than old version that procced many Storm Spells. Then I guess we're talking about slight improvements to both single target and AoE. Maybe not perfect, but at least a step into the right direction.

Key is to not let this Steal Time issue linger for too long. If they're concerned about giving ST too much dmg on top of control then just attach the control component to a feat (?) or class feature (Orb of Imposition).
  • modlesiemodlesie Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    as always....xDDDD nothing new- Buff is nerf/ Nerf is buff- work as intended....hahahahahaha :D
  • rysiek86rysiek86 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    To be honest... the changes are a step in right direction... I realy enjoy the changes and i want to say... Good job @noworries#8859, I hope this is not the end of a bit of care with Wizard class and we can count for more fixes in the future (arcane power field class feat for example :) ).
  • kir4me8604#8436 kir4me8604 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    step in the right direction........ smh. totally disagree.
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    For me fealt like a step in the "rigth direction"... i will explain;

Since i play a lot of classes (have all the classes maxed in level and boons except from Cleric (deleted) and bard that have no boons) i always have a hard time chozing each char to focus on, this chages made clear the i can move enchants and insignias from my wizard at least till next year !

tks for the help ! will wait next Wizard "balance" to test again, at this point you could rewor the whole class from scratch and really few will complain nice job...
  • omicron#4703 omicron Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    rafaelda said:

For me fealt like a step in the "rigth direction"... i will explain;

Since i play a lot of classes (have all the classes maxed in level and boons except from Cleric (deleted) and bard that have no boons) i always have a hard time chozing each char to focus on, this chages made clear the i can move enchants and insignias from my wizard at least till next year !

tks for the help ! will wait next Wizard "balance" to test again, at this point you could rewor the whole class from scratch and really few will complain nice job...

and what to do for those who, like me, play in this class with m4, because at the moment the wizard class is further behind in terms of damage from half of the classes, so I think what the developers have done for the wizard class is too little

• admiralwarlord#3792 admiralwarlord Member Posts: 611 Arc User
    The class needs more improvement, fact!
  • mrimsogoodmrimsogood Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    The DEVs do not, and apparently will never, care about this class or the game for the matter.
  • mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited December 2021

Let's assume they fix Steal Time by significantly raising the magnitude to make it better than old version that procced many Storm Spells. Then I guess we're talking about slight improvements to both single target and AoE. Maybe not perfect, but at least a step into the right direction.

Key is to not let this Steal Time issue linger for too long. If they're concerned about giving ST too much dmg on top of control then just attach the control component to a feat (?) or class feature (Orb of Imposition).

After the devs said in an article qoute Ranged players are lazy do not expect cw to be improved
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

After maining tank / heal for a while I reactivated my CW and oh boy it's not pretty. Except Collars the toon is bis yet has trouble cracking 400k dps/sec when other classes surpass 600k easily. Except CoK I feel like the toon is viable in all content, but the difference to other DPS classes is stark. Obviously the main culprit is Band of Air which other classes like TR can get more procs from, but helping with raising the magnitude across the board wouldn't hurt either. After this experience after a week or two I'm back to support. I had fun building the toon though. Didn't take as long as I expected.
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User

After maining tank / heal for a while I reactivated my CW and oh boy it's not pretty. Except Collars the toon is bis yet has trouble cracking 400k dps/sec when other classes surpass 600k easily. Except CoK I feel like the toon is viable in all content, but the difference to other DPS classes is stark. Obviously the main culprit is Band of Air which other classes like TR can get more procs from, but helping with raising the magnitude across the board wouldn't hurt either. After this experience after a week or two I'm back to support. I had fun building the toon though. Didn't take as long as I expected.
    i have seen wizard doing 540k on dummy and also 500k in cok.....

i have seen wizard doing 540k on dummy and also 500k in cok.....

Yes I think I've not gone all the way, but early results were already discouraging enough to stash the toon again and hope for improvements down the road. Even 540k is not really what you're looking for on a dummy compared to other classes.
    edited March 2022
    So I guess there's some good news as CWs are getting looked at soon(tm). Funny though that they first need to fix Bards which shouldn't have been released in their current state in the first place. Talking about problems they themselves created, pushing back a class that's lacking for longer than the Bards have... Quite sure there are more CW players out there so this prioritization is a fairly interesting misjudgement.

Also between CoK and the Bard this surely isn't an advertisement of the Alpha testing. Not sure they have the wrong audience in there or devs simply aren't able to process valid concerns fast enough, but both systems released with such severe flaws that I think you can get much better results by going to PTS 2-3 month prior with the clear intention to hear a wide range of feedback and process most of it.

It's funny because out of four class releases only one might have been balanced right from the start (Scourge Warlock). Hunter Ranger needed a big rework soon after, Paladin was completely broken OP and now the Bard performs badly and has a gazillion bugs. It's certainly interesting that completely different dev teams throughout the years have struggled with the same tasks over and over again. Hints at mis-management and / or not giving the systems enough testing and QA.
  • ivansoong#2073 ivansoong Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited April 2022
    ravenmadd said:

Great job not listening to people who actually know how to play CW... MM is so sluggish I went from doing 13 encounters to 8 on daily / arti calls. animation locked so cant dodge as easy as you could with ray of frost.. doing less damage then before the changes now in ST. Only good thing is FB being almost instant cast, but with a 12 second hard CD on smolder ect how do you really expect to keep up with TR getting 3 encounts ( at 3x magnitude of FB ) ? FB hitting for 3300 at 59k IL with 90x4 ratings cant proc bonedevils. This rework is a absolute fail. After seeing how bad of a job the DEV's have done on a CW rework, it's no wonder the player base is diminishing more and more each day.

I agree what you said. Look at the screenshot below as proof. I am the Wizard (Ivanus) with almost the same stats and almost the same item level with the two other identical rogues (assassins). Even Dinus the other rogue joined the game late after/at the boss fight Arcturia in the Lair of Mad Mage can easily outperform me with almost double of the accumulated damages (refer to the picture below as proof). Even a Warlock can easily outperform me as Wizard in the dungeon/epic trial runs. WHERE IS THE FAIRNESS? What is the point spending many AD, Zen and real currency when you are just a supermodel in the game? I am done with the mage or worst with the game, Neverwinter if there are no corrections with updates in the near future. I agree with you they will lose out a lot of fanbase if there are no amendment in the future. Embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed sometimes. I am tired of being jeered, hinted or labeled as 'low DPS' that caused the dungeon/epic trial runs unable to be completed successfully. It is not I do not put in effort to play the game as I always lunged forward to attack the enemies as many as possible but no avail to produce the high damages. The other players do not understand the difficulty of our build as the wizard that unable to produce so many damages like a rogue regardless of item level in the dungeon/epic trial runs and it is nerfed and scaled so badly until it is the lowest DPS class in the system. Hope the developer WILL listen to us. Else, I guess churn rate will be high. Developer PLEASE kindly do something. It was no fun when other players hated you for no reasons that do not understand it is not my problems/playing styles but in fact the low DPS produced that unable assist them to win the game. Thank you for your kind attention!

• silente07#2597 silente07 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    Old classes are not priority. Maybe they see no financial incentive to fixing.
    I never really cared about the board, it as just the chest at the end. I stopped caring when the dps classes I play were effed so hard they could never compete. It was all about the end chest.
    But those are paltry and not worth the effort anymore.

Still waiting on that change.

Not holding my breath.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited June 2022
    mynaam said:

After the devs said in an article qoute Ranged players are lazy do not expect cw to be improved
    My Reply:
    Background: Revisions after more runs June 10th-15th, I'd recommend as starting point... ...'they claimed' Thaumaturge is hurting more, yet I disagree. I'll show why later.

Arcane Wizard
    ♦ Steel Time stuns to last +15% longer, and be +7 Magnitude though!
    ♦ Lightning Bolt previously nerfed too harshly, should see +10 Magnitude boost, counterpart Fanning the Flame.
    ♦ Arcane Tempest could be buffed by +7 Magnitude as well, as small node to Arcanists.
    ╘ is same as Conduit of Ice for Thaumaturge!
    ♦ Ray of Enfeeblement doesn't need a Magnitude buff,
    ╘ yet could reduce outgoing damage from -10% to -12.5% at least.
    ╘ both the debuff needs to CONFIRM it's 10s, same with it's Mastery benefit -- see Bugs*

Only Thaumaturge feat's add's more Chill stacks while having 3 more Ice (Chill) Encounters, so Arcane Feat's need a bit more work; if not they need to further increase Magnitude Damage. Likely suggestion is Orb of Imposition, yet it's available to both; so wiser to boost Storm Spell.

Note: Someone also reported Ray of Enfeeblement only last 5 seconds, not 10 seconds for Mastery effect; I'd want them to check the debuff last 10s as it should; both are likely only 5 seconds! :(

Arcane should start with +24 Magnitude Damage which is small but adds up, yet both Wizard's don't compare to Rogue, Warlock, or other DPS Classes! Still these are small suggestions to test, and think Arcane powers may be buffed further especially if they don't improve Class powers or Feats!

Thauma is still leader in DPS, and suspect that will remain:
    https://www.mmorpgtips.com/neverwinter-wizard-arcanist-build/
    https://www.mmorpgtips.com/neverwinter-wizard-thaumaturge-build/

Thaumaturge Wizard
    ♦ Fanning the Flame could also be boosted by +12.5 as starting point, up from 100 Magnitude.
    ╘ Fireball is recommended in Mastery, while more powerful -- it doesn't render FX -- see Bugs*
    ♦ Conduit of Ice should receive buff of 7.5 Magnitude as well.
    ╘ yet could reduce outgoing damage from -10% to -12.5% at least.
    ╘ both the debuff needs to CONFIRM it's 10s, same with it's Mastery benefit -- see Bugs*

Thaumaturge be overall of +20 Magnitude Damage these be good starting points only!

I still find Thaumaturge not nearly as bad as everyone claims, I know Arcane since M16 has always been behind Thauma Wizard's in DPS. So in this test I used ALL the recommended Arcane abilities & Class powers for Arcane per the Guide yet omitted Repel in both cases so Chilling Presence was used as class power in both cases. For Thaumaturge however, I used the less popular Fanning the Flame rather than Fireball in Mastery, and it still beat Arcane time by 2 minutes and several seconds! I might have further increased the victory to 3-4 minutes faster had I used Crit Conflagration & Swath of Destruction together; that doesn't include Fireball in Mastery! Everything was same gear, potions, enchantments, etc...

Note: Both -Young Green Dragons - above shown in image above.

3rd run, I gave Thauma a more ideal Class power: kept Chilling Presence, & Critical Conflagration.
    ╘ That reduced time to 12m 52s. Thauma best DPS is Critical Conflagration & Swath of Destruction.

Had I used Fireball I'd likely shave another 2 minutes, or far more off the time; especially with it's 2 best class powers too!

――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――
    https://twitch.tv/videos/1497519296
    Still the one BUG that sticks out is with Thaumaturge Fireball it never renders the Fireball, you only can screenshot it just as it arrives at the target if you extremely lucky, so most only see the Flames that burn the enemy afterward by the vast majority, not the Fireball itself!
    ――――――――――――――――――――

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1265340/known-wizard-bugs

Known BUGS I'm aware of:
    So Fireball FX has been broken a LONG time, and needs rework to make it more visible for sure!

There's 2 problematic BUGs, and now one introduced since M23 dropped here:
    https://account.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1265327/thaumaturge-missing-fx-for-fireball-it-seems
    &
    https://account.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1265342/ray-of-enfeeblement-duration-bug

https://account.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1265378/wizard-ice-knife-not-shown-since-m23-june-14th-in-dragon-hunts
    Post edited by strathkin on
  • olocancom#0595 olocancom Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    @nitocris83 Just wanted to make sure you and Robert saw that people are still replying in these older threads for the upcoming wizard changes. Anyways, now that you're here(?)

Bug: The cooldown bug that's been reported I'm sure. Your encounter power looks like it's ready to use, you hit the button, the cd resets for a few more seconds. Maybe tied to Arcane Empowerment? IDK. But it's been years and I'm sick of it.

Suggestions: 1) Less stack building. Most mobs are killed by your team before you've built any stacks outside of boss fights.
    2) Higher magnitudes. I don't want to fan the flame. I want to pour gasoline on the fire.
    3) Make Thaumaturge all ice/fire and Arcanist all arcane. You end up not even considering powers because feats don't align.
    4) Circle back to all the old posts that people wrote. There's a lot of suggestions that are still relevant.
  • omicron#4703 omicron Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    remove the cooldown from the directed flame and then the thaumaturge will be in balance
    edited June 2022
    Posted a few new BUGs to the reply of mine above; and made some additional revisions based on the Dragon Tests with just me verses a Young Dragon as both Arcane & Thaumatuge. As that's really the best INDICATOR to compare each class by itself. I could likely even increase the Victory from 2 minutes and several seconds for Thaumaturge, and did increase it to more than 3 minutes not even using it's 1 best power Fireball either; that wider the victory possibly even closer to 5 minutes faster!

Thaumaturge is clearly still the DPS Leader of the two for certain!

DEVs should really test all Classes against the same Young Dragon, as baseline using the mmorpgtips.com Build guides specifications for each class. Still they should make changes to ensure no under utilized power is too weak as well.

o:)
    edited July 2022
    Background: Revisions after more runs June 15th to July 1st, I'd recommend as starting point... ...'they claimed' Thaumaturge is hurting more, yet I disagree. I'll show why later.

Arcane Wizard
    ♦ Steel Time stuns to last +15% longer, and be +5 Magnitude though!
    ♦ Lightning Bolt previously nerfed too harshly, should see +7 Magnitude boost, counterpart Fanning the Flame.
    ♦ Arcane Tempest could be buffed by +7 Magnitude as well, as small node to Arcanists.
    ♦ Disintegrate should be given (slight) buff of +5 Magnitude.

Only Thaumaturge feat's add's more Chill stacks while having 3 more Ice (Chill) Encounters, so Arcane Feat's need a bit more work to enhance Control! Otherwise a slighly higher magnitude buff above, also the numbers be then +2.5 or +5, or +3.5 or +7, or +5 or +10 it's better to start small then slowly increase.

Note: Someone also reported Ray of Enfeeblement only last 5 seconds, not 10 seconds for Mastery effect; I'd want them to check debuff last 10s as it should; both are likely only 5 seconds! :(

Arcane should start with +24 Magnitude Damage or 50% that, and work up. Which is small but adds up, especially as Disintegrate has shorter cooldown! Yet both Wizard's don't compare to Rogue, Warlock, or other DPS Classes! Still these are small suggestions to test, and think Arcane powers may be buffed further especially if they don't improve Class powers slightly!

Thaumaturge Wizard
    ♦ Fanning the Flame could also be boosted by +10 as starting point
    ╘ Fireball is recommended in Mastery, while more powerful -- it doesn't render FX -- see Bugs*
    ♦ Conduit of Ice should receive buff of +7 Magnitude as well.
    ♦ Fireball should be given (slight) buff of +5.5 Magnitude.

Thaumaturge be overall of +22.5 Magnitude Damage and start with 50%, and also work up.
    As these be good starting points only!

Note: Both -Young Green Dragons - shown below; using 2 Single Target, 2 AoE - Hybrid more typical.

╘ Thaumaturge has more control cause of Feats, and a wider Gap exists using AoE over Arcane.

This time, I gave Thaumaturge it's two best class powers Critical Conflagration & Swath of Destruction; yet used Fireball (AoE) rather than Repel. Had I used Repel the time even be further reduced by 45s, 1m or more.

╘ still this is all Single Target, which shows the gap is narrowed.

Still the one BUG that sticks out is with Thaumaturge Fireball it never renders the Fireball, you only can screenshot it just as it arrives at the target if you extremely lucky, so most only see the Flames that burn the enemy afterward by the vast majority, not the Fireball itself!
    ――――――――――――――――――――

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1265340/known-wizard-bugs

Known BUGS I'm aware of:
    So Fireball FX has been broken a LONG time, and needs rework to make it more visible for sure!

https://account.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1265327/thaumaturge-missing-fx-for-fireball-it-seems
    &
    https://account.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1265342/ray-of-enfeeblement-duration-bug

https://account.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1265378/wizard-ice-knife-not-shown-since-m23-june-14th-in-dragon-hunts
    edited August 2022
    So here's 4 revised runs, worst shown first, then to best last:

Note: I later changed Arcane feats from the Guide, as recommended by another:
    ╘ doing so resulted in 8m 49s on Arcane, while Thaumaturge was still at 8m 1s.

Arcane Feat's I changed to first DOWN, then next 4 Feat's were all on TOP.

Arcane Single Target - Chilling Presence & Storm Spell
    ♦ Ray of Enfeeblement Mastery, Entangling Force, Disintegrate, Repel.

Thauma Single Target (with even 1 AoE) beat Arcane, Critical Conflagration, Swath of Destruction
    ♦ Ray of Enfeeblement Mastery, Fireball (to show difference in Mastery), Icy Rays, Chill Strike.

Then Thauma with Fireball in Mastery, Critical Conflagration, Swath of Destruction
    ♦ Fireball Mastery, Repel, Icy Rays, Chill Strike.

Then Thauma with Enfeeblement in Mastery like most, same Class powers.
    ♦ Ray of Enfeeblement Mastery, Repel, Icy Rays, Chill Strike.
    edited August 2022
    Here's how I got Arcane down to my best run of 8m 50s after I tried talking to some, who suggested other Feat's to try. I wrote them down on notepad, and I admit I did improve my time shaving off a fair bit, yet still 49s faster on Thaumaturge.

Note: I also tried 3 times a Green dragon, and my best time was 9m 00s, my worst was 9m 08s a bit longer. I eventually got Arcane down to 8m 50s. I do know the Arcane Wizard in Dragon Hunt with 3 of us did 37m, compared to my about 21m for my Thaumaturge yet she also had BoA. While her item level was 3k higher than mine, yet I also noted a 52k to 57k difference resulted in 57% improvement in times when I ran them too. Still I can only report what I see mostly on mine, after making their changes.

Note: Update from July 2nd, using Arcane Empowerment 100% for Daily did later reduce this to 8m 50s. Previously my best time of 9m 00s was mixed between Ice Knife & Arcane Empowerment. It's still however 49s behind my Thaumaturge Loadout (shown above) is 8m 1s time again Young Green Dragon.

These are what I was previously using however earlier:

Someone later clarified when you change them to single target, yet I changed them identically as they said and yes it and sure it improve my Arcane time. Yet still I see Thaumaturge in the lead!

For Arcane the Guide says:

For Thauma the Guide says:

Here's what 2 Arcane Wizard's suggested I do for Single Target, with variation from a HDPS Wizard too.

So the feats shown by Thaumaturge, are reversed here for Arcanist single target. I was told to try First feat DOWN as Arcane already shows, yet all the others are on the TOP!

So to me I still see Thauma on TOP of the Leader Board! But I have to wait till tomorrow to review, it's possible they are using better companions all mine are Legendary, not a single Mythic. As I've been gone for 2+ years, and those could also make noticeable difference. Still I can't compare her to my character she also has BoA, I can only mostly report what I found.

―――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――
    Update 07/04: My guess is only that Thaumaturge has higher Critical Strike Feat, where Arcanist does not so using Chilling Presence & Storm Spell. Thaumaturge as I said uses Critical Conflagration, Swath of Destruction it's two best.

For Arcane you could use Eye of the Storm which gives 10% severity for Arcane, yet it's only active 5 seconds out of every 20--so this only translates to 2.5% on average.

Note: Still I find my Thaumaturge build out performs my Arcane even with the revisions above!
    edited August 2022
    So I still stand by this claim made early June, and revised a bit early July:
    ╘ I'd recommend as starting point... ...'they claimed' Thaumaturge is hurting more, yet I disagree. Here my test criteria.

I used Young Green Dragon, as it's single player, and if you don't get them you can requeue without penalty. Then on both classes I used similar powers, as Identified (above), and both classes are using same Enchantments, Artifacts, Gear, Weapons, Companions/buffs, Mounts/insignia, etc... "always applied to both loadouts" in fact, or it's not fair.

Arcane Wizard
    ♦ Steel Time stuns to last +15% longer, and be +5 Magnitude though!
    ♦ Lightning Bolt previously nerfed too harshly, should see +7 Magnitude boost, counterpart Fanning the Flame.
    ♦ Disintegrate should be given (slight) buff of +5 Magnitude.

Only Thaumaturge feat's add's more Chill stacks while having 3 more Ice (Chill) Encounters, so Arcane Feat's need a bit more work to enhance Control! Otherwise a slighly higher magnitude buff above.

Note: Someone also reported Ray of Enfeeblement only last 5 seconds, not 10 seconds for Mastery effect; I'd want them to check debuff last 10s as it should; both are likely only 5 seconds! :(

Arcane should start with +24 Magnitude Damage or 50% that, and work up. Which is small but adds up, especially as Disintegrate has shorter cooldown! Yet both Wizard's don't compare to Rogue, Warlock, or other DPS Classes! Still these are small suggestions to test, and think Arcane powers may be buffed further especially if they don't improve Class powers slightly!

╘ (above) I showed a revised arcanist build feat's for single targer, first down, remaining 4 all UP.

Thaumaturge Wizard
    ♦ Fanning the Flame could also be boosted by +10 as starting point
    ♦ Conduit of Ice should receive buff of +7 Magnitude as well.
    ♦ Fireball should be given (slight) buff of +5.5 Magnitude.

Thaumaturge be overall of +22.5 Magnitude Damage and start with 50%, and also work up.
    As these be good starting points only!

Note: Both -Young Green Dragons - shown below; using 2 Single Target, 2 AoE - Hybrid more typical.

╘ Thaumaturge has more control cause of Feats, and a wider Gap exists using AoE over Arcane.

This time, I gave Thaumaturge it's two best class powers Critical Conflagration & Swath of Destruction; yet used Fireball (AoE) rather than Repel. Had I used Repel instead of Fireball the time even be reduced down to 8m 1s as shown in another thread. Both loadouts used same gear, and did not use BoA to further influence the base wizard classes in both paragons.

╘ still this is all Single Target, which shows the gap is narrowed.

Then Thauma with Enfeeblement in Mastery like most, with Critical Conflagration, Swath of Destruction
    ♦ Ray of Enfeeblement Mastery, Repel, Icy Rays, Chill Strike.

――――――――――――――――――――

Known BUGS I'm aware of:

&