test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Remove time gating from legacy campaigns

doctorchronosdoctorchronos Member Posts: 1 Arc User
A suggestion: I feel as a returning player ( a new player would have the same) that I will never catch up to long time players in terms of campaigns. I would have to play for years to get all the legacy campaigns done and then I still never get to the new content, it feels like sometimes. By the time I get to what is current today, there will have been who knows how many new modules launched.

If the time gate is removed from legacy campaigns, (give me the first batch of quests, finish those, get the next batch, don't make me wait a day or a week for the next batch) players could at least devote a long time to finishing those and get current with the content. Sales of skip tokens would still be viable since even with no time gate, it is a lot of grinding work to finish up the campaign but at least you have a choice.

Some times it feels like if you have not been playing the game uninterrupted since 2013 there is no point for a new player or long time away player to even bother starting since they will be perpetually in a state of catch up that they can never achieve in a reasonable amount of time.
Tagged:

Comments

• durugudesudurugudesu Member Posts: 555 Arc User
    I think you are misunderstanding things - you are not forced to do campaigns in a linear order.

You can do dread ring sharandar iwd underdark chult barovia undermountain elemental evil all at the same time on one day until you reach the time gate for each of those.

If the game was locking you to do campaigns chronologically - then yes i would be with you that it may feel like forever before you catch up to current players - but this is not the case.

and as modules become older they usually get easier to complete - just look at the voninblood you need for SKT to unlock the boons now and as to how much you needed when it was the current module.. (it's still a lot imo but its way less than before).

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    You can do multiple campaigns concurrently. Each one takes roughly a month. Being Legacy Campaigns, you can also set Sybella to pay you extra for any one of them.

Also consider the option of Genie's Gifts if you can acquire them.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    Well, it would go much, much faster if there were no limits to the number of weeklies you could turn in. New players could catch up inside of a week or two.
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    - except in places like SKT. Those weeklies give such a poor return.

In campaigns like that one, I'd rather they increased the amount you get from weeklies than lift the limit on the number you can do.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,215 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    1. You don't have to do all the campaign.
    2. You can buy out the campaign. i.e. paying for not playing.
    3. You can do multiple campaign at the same time.
    4. It does not take a year to finish them all.
    5. Yes, campaign can be weekly gate and you can kind of overcoming the gate issue by multiple campaign at once. i.e. campaign A is gated this week, do campaign B, B is done for the week, do campaign C and so on.
    6. Many catch up fast enough. However, finishing all the campaign (which is easy part) does not mean you reach end game at all.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Running them concurrently, it depends on how much time you have to play. I'm guessing it's a decent amount or you wouldn't be bothered about the time gate?

If you have the time you can run them in batches based on your current TIL/capability but you should be up to Avernus within 4-6 weeks and have a bunch of boons to show for it as well as newer gear.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • xenocide#6577 xenocide Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    Honestly the idea of removing time gating from legacy campaigns is really good.
    Very few players will have time to do the dailies from every campaign but it is really nice when you finish one completely and have a little sense of accomplishment.

For me I feel like it would make the game feel just a little bit cleaner, being able to hang around in a zone for a while, as I work my way through that campaign. Instead of having to jump through zone to zone to zone to get a 3 - 4 quests done in each area.

It could really help newer players get into dungeons like Fang breaker island, and other dungeons that are burried deep into a campaigns progression, without having to wait through 2 months worth of dailies.

I think an idea that gives players a reason to play is a good one.
    One month, at most. And doing the zone is supposed to help you learn the critters and mechanics of a given zone's dungeon.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    And yet, here you are.
  • milehighxr#1299 milehighxr Member Posts: 461 Arc User
    Honestly all time gating needs to be removed form all areas of the game. Undermountain/Elemental Evil is by far the best way to go IMHO. I can run it at my pace, and not have to "worry" that I didn't get to the weekly haul this weekend cuz other things got in my way. Most people don't have time to dedicate 1-2hrs gaming every night.

I took me just about an hour and half to get thru the intro, and do the weekly haul in New New Sharandar on my rogue. Paladin will take longer since the combat rework(I know, I usedtacould main a pally, and now he get to sit cuz hes not as fun to play anymore).

I also think the shattered diamonds drops from the new campaign should be way higher, or the amount needed for the new "juma" bags be lowered significantly. The stuff you get from them is basically trash...
  • franciscoperolafranciscoperola Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    Campaigns really don't have a specific order and can be done simultaneously. Some campaigns start earlier at level 60 and 70, the easiest ones, but for a novice player, most can only be completed after level 80. However, thinking that campaigns give a huge advantage to those who complete them is a big mistake. Campaigns only account for about 19% of total statistics points, Each boon represents only 0.2% and, in a campaign like Elemental Evil, with four boons, this represents only 0.8%. If, theoretically, we divide the 19% by our 15 stats we will have a gain of 1.3% each. In fact, campaigns do not give great incentives to be concluded, this is a point that has to be reviewed by Cryptic.
    Post edited by franciscoperola on