test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Malware with new up date?

went to log in to play and every time I opened arc it started posting malware ad's I been hours trying it chase it down finally uninstalled all the arc games now trying to reinstall but it froze up and is no responding at all can't even get the install wizard window to close just a blue spinning ball. last night I had no issues to day the game is infected what changed?

Comments

• thany#4351 thany Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    I don't think there was an update today. Only maintenance. So you collected your "guest" somewhere else and no one can know what is infected at all. Try first with some malware removal tool (malwarebytes...) and than try to reinstall the game.
  • xxsuperheroxx#8731 xxsuperheroxx Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    i unistalled the game and then reinstalled I had to get a new install download as the one I used was "compromised" not having the issue as so far but there are some clitches as I just exited the game but it kept going for a bit.

most likely your right as we only have third party content to get any kind of information on any thing in the game and that just is messed up in so many ways as they infected the arc game client which puts in to question is this game safe to play on my pc or am I putting my self at risk just using it?

Kind of like Conquerors blade that was an awesome game but it was messed up as a plate form it used your pc as the server for every and any body; research it and it was listed as a virus program. Pc ran 24/7 tell I uninsalled that and purged my pc of malware and viruses... anyways just well not search out any more for answers just write off the quest lines.

The game is super complicated countless currency's complete lack of any clear route to better gear and now running in to having to do countless daily's of the same quests to get the next progression in a main quest line is making the game less and less appealing. not even going in to the weapons of air water fire what ever no enough people playing to get any of that done you just sit there waiting for people to show up but no one does.... fun huh..

Thank you for replaying not many on this forum and those who try to help are rare so I make it a point to thank those like you help.
  • datarider#1036 datarider Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    press "]" and pick what to play :)
    also K for the dungeons :)
    seriously messed up morning uninstalled a great deal of apps scanned and finally had to clear every thing. not sure where I picked up adware:win32/browser assistant but it was super hard to get out of my pc. not even sure it's truly gone.

It might have started with the whole not being allowed to use the chat. the YouTube people all have super cool mod's and their chat boxes were so much better then the one i am stuck with. twitch was cool on wow but neverwinters is not popular enough to rate their interest. nor could I get any response from the content creators of the videos of neverwinter chat tutorials. I guess mod's are not legal or some thing but to put up videos of you clearly using third party mod's one would think the mod's to be ok with hasbro/wizards of the coast/ arc bla bla bla I have yet to open the game again in fear that is where the virus is hiding.

I thought i had fixed this before but after opening the acr game again after playing I had major issues with malware ad's opening windows with every click of the mouse waiting on Microsoft to respond to my concerns weather this game is a risk. I remember being prompted if I wanted to allow the game to make changes to my system. so the games kind of fun but not worth having to chase down adware;win32/browser assistant viruses every time I play.

anyway thought to give you people a heads up you might want to look in to see if your systems have this virus. just because you never had and issue before does not mean you'll never have it in the future as people find ways to get around defenses.

I imagine I'll be the joke now and people well find time to make fun of my plight but that is ok as it shows alot about arc players.

best of luck cross my fingers I hope this is fixed....=/
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User

nor could I get any response from the content creators of the videos of neverwinter chat tutorials. I guess mod's are not legal or some thing but to put up videos of you clearly using third party mod's one would think the mod's to be ok with hasbro/wizards of the coast/ arc bla bla bla I have yet to open the game again in fear that is where the virus is hiding.

Not sure what you mean here. Not that I really watch NW videos but I've yet to see any video with a clear use of third party mod to the chat. Maybe if you post a screenshot.

Also NW has consoles port, where the UI looks a bit different.
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    Little know fact: You can install and play NWO without Arc or Steam launchers. Those are just extra garbage to me. I mostly use some Steam apps on my laptop, I play some simple games on there like Stardew Valley and whatnot over discord... I keep all the viruses safely contained on my old HAMSTER laptop that way. :trollface:

Just killing time...
    I well be the first to admit I am not a computer programmer I did learn a lot from an old forum i had back in the day before they closed the servers. My new forum me being the solo and only member is way easier a couple clicks were as the old one was a hack and slash in to cascading screen and other codes.

I could back track to find a screen shot but then I have to find some where to host the image to get a URL to post it here and I really do not want to read the terms of use as third party content posted here is a no no if I remember right.

anyway I stopped googleing for answers just working up my courage to reopen the game to play as doing that whole find the virus and try to get it off my PC was not fun.

back in the days of world of warcraft there where really good mod's that were trust worthy not an issue. Now knowing the clients not safe to use mod's or google third partys for answers is half the battle in avoiding issues such as this adware:win32/browser assistant virus. it would be nice if hasbro would provide answers but that would cost money and it really is not their concern they players can't find answers as long as it profits them they do not care if people get malicious viruses seeking out third party answers.

thinking back on it most the you tube contents dated years ago they may have just moved on to other games for more views as they are in business to make money of you tube. I digress going off on things. at the moment the problems dormant.

might look in to a new tower with cutting edge graphics card and make it exclusive to gaming and not have any other data on it just to be safe as clearly I am not tech savvy enough at computers to fix the uglies I could catch just playing games.. =/

thank you for responding sorry if this comes across badly but no answers is frustrating and worrying I may have screwed up my $1000.00 dollar cyberpower PC has me on edge as I can not afford to replace it tell the season breaks.
    No degree needed. Just find the Neverwinter.exe on your hard drive and make a shortcut directly to it. When I installed mine, it wanted to post to C:\Program Files (x86) but I told it C:\Cryptic Studios and everything is in there. You should be able to open the file exploder and do a "Search" for Neverwinter.exe

Hold ALT and drag to your desktop to make a shortcut.

Just killing time...
    when this whole thing started tried clearing my browser but this issue was in the game client so I uninstalled all the arc games both neverwinter and the legends. went to my downloads page to reinstall with the exe file but I was prompt it was compromised or corrupted so I deleted those went to the game page here redowned loaded the exe and reinstalled. the ad's did not seam to show up again tell I went to us my browser and then cleared that and uninstalled every thing that had the dates this problem started on. so far not having opened the game again the issue seams to have gone dormant.

still looking in to a few things before risking opening the game again like backing up my stuff make sure I have all the passwords to site's copying my bookmarks in a private section of my forum so if stuff goes sideways again I at the least backed up every thing.

the app feature only list arc so it was uninstall that or not uninstall debating weather to uninstall the whole arc again and reinstall again using another new exe file down load the virus didn't come from here but were it did come from they knew how to compromise the software and use it to get past my firewalls. not sure how that happened but avoiding third party sites for arc games would be the best solution no matter if I can't figure out how to use most of the game. =/ it's my fault I should have known better then to go looking for answers. Live and learn.

thank you for taking time in responding with help!
    awesome I opened my client to play and bam adware:win32/browser assistant malware took control of my pc again. I was just on here posting no problem been on all morning browsing open neverwinter poof lost control over my browser awesome another couple more hours trying to get ride of this again got to go I have to uninstall arc again as clearly that is where it's hiding can't say I well reinstall it's just not worth it I never had this issue with world of warcraft but now having this issue multiple time in the short time playing this game.....
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    Well, just guessing here, but that sounds more like the adware is hiding somewhere else and attaching itself to Neverwinter over and over again, i suggest you go to https://www.malwarebytes.com/ and download the free version to clean your PC, then get some decent security software (Bitdefender for example) to prevent catching any unwanted HAMSTER in the future...

You also might want to think about what you've downloaded recently and from where, since that it's most likely the source for your current problems.

I mean, when you download an addon for WoW that is carrying some extra HAMSTER, it's not the games fault either, is it?
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
    dooo deee dooo the only thing I been down loading is this game.

I uninstalled the game, deleted and emptied my deleted file. I deleted a lot of things over the past week twitch being one of them and that is the world of warcraft mod site. world of warcraft has been off this tower for a couple years now.

I admitted I googled neverwinter content and there is where the issue started. it hide in some thing that is part of this game meaning the game client or this sites cookies in my opinion. I have uninstalled the game. I once again allowed this site to install it's cookie having to go to my gmail get a code and prove I am who I am.

I have to do this every time I come here as I have my browser set to delete all cookies when closed.

going to a site for free stuff huh can't see that going horribly wrong and free malware is kind of like shooting your self in the foot "click here well tell you if you have a virus ops yes you do here pay for this and well remove the nasty adware" bla bla bla

at the moment I reset my browser firewall to high and have yet to down load the client I am here no testing out if the sites cookies are the issue. as I stated I am not a computer programmer I can only look back to when the issue started I have had this tower for 5 years and had no issues tell playing arc games. I have not downloaded any thing I just went to sites for answers using bing which I am thinking of converting to the google chrome browser.

I can't tell if your mad or trying to help I am just asking here because this is where the problem started and want to know if any one else had the same issues. it's awesome your paid for security software works and you do not share the same issues or that your so good at the game having played for so long you do not have the need to look for answers.

anyway I am waiting to see if it comes back after posting this and now that I purged the exe that was tagged by my laughing incompetent Microsoft fire wall I might look in to reinstalling the exe or just not play. I can not afford fancy high tech security software nor to pay for a new pc tower or even pay some one to come fix my stuff. if this pc tanks it well be over a year before I can scrap up over a thousand dollars to replace this tower.

thank you for your advice and help I am working on the issue to the best of my ability if I fall short then it would be best to not play arc games Not sure why Magic the gathering arena works but then again I didn't seek out answer to questions on third party malicious sites.. It is my fault and I am the only one to blame I should have known better.
    Obviously you're the only one that have this problem. So, obviously it's not arc related. If you have win 10 - google it - how to restart windows 10. If not, format and fresh reinstall. Or find someone who knows how to get rid of that malware. You're spinning arround and don't know how to solve it.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    Well, most of us actually have "fancy security software" up and running, because they cost less then the professional help you might need after some really nasty piece of software got on your PC - and all these different programs tell us that Neverwinter Online is not the problem here.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

In your case, you did download the adware somehow, unless someone else has access to your PC, and it will remain on your PC until you use a removal software. Also, some adware can even "survive" formatting the HD and reinstalling everything, and malwarebytes is a worldwide renown tool for situations like these.

Anyway, i'm done here, do whatever you want with your PC...
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    I'll just support @regenerde in this:
    * It most likely is not the Neverwinter installation that brought this into your system
    * You need to get a tool to scan and remove the malware - it is unlikely you can fix this manually by yourself
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User

I'll just support @regenerde in this:
    * It most likely is not the Neverwinter installation that brought this into your system
    * You need to get a tool to scan and remove the malware - it is unlikely you can fix this manually by yourself

The Cryptic's launcher is a simple web browser. I don't need to scan or care much about "malware" I run everything on Linux. I am not saying Linux is 100% fool proof, roughly 99% of my issues are cause by me tinkering with the system. If I keep my fingers out of the pie, it works just great.

Why I run Linux and not Windows 10;

It takes me 35 seconds at most to boot Linux, tested Windows 10 on the same machine and the fastest boot time was 95 seconds. My Linux OS uses about 350 MB of RAM to operate, which means 7.5 GB of my 8 GB of RAM is available to me. MS has not upgraded their journal file system for years. Among other file systems, I can use EXT4 which has less issues with file corruption and handles insane large files bigger than exabytes in size. I don't need to defrag, anti-virial software, or concern myself with errors. I have used Linux since 2010 and not once picked up malware or had a file corruption or HDD failure. What I really love about my machine, when the scammer calls me from India and tells me there is a virus on my Windows PC and he is with Microsoft Tech Support.... I just laugh at them.

I am not telling everyone to switch either, but it would be a good idea to dual boot the OS. Use Windows for your games and Linux for surfing the web and conducting business.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    You need to download and run malwarebytes as @regenerde suggested. It's an American internet security company founded in 2008 and have a proven track record.

The adware will have self-installed in multiple locations on your computer and you can't just 'search & delete' files in the hope of stopping it. The only way you are going to get rid of it without security software is by doing a clean install of your operating system.

I am a qualified support technician. Still, it's up to you, it's your computer... but as others have said, you didn't get it from Neverwinter/Cryptic.

It's entirely possible to get it from websites without clicking to download anything, especially if you don't have any security software running constantly in the background.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • cracklepants#2252 cracklepants Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    Yep, Malwarebytes is awesome. Hitman Pro used to be good when MB missed something, but I have not had MB miss anything in years.
  • netherdragon#0997 netherdragon Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    Personally I don't use Arc just the game launcher itself through Steam. Whatever is happening to you is on your side not the developers.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    regenerde said:

Well, most of us actually have "fancy security software" up and running, because they cost less then the professional help you might need after some really nasty piece of software got on your PC - and all these different programs tell us that Neverwinter Online is not the problem here.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

In your case, you did download the adware somehow, unless someone else has access to your PC, and it will remain on your PC until you use a removal software. Also, some adware can even "survive" formatting the HD and reinstalling everything, and malwarebytes is a worldwide renown tool for situations like these.

Anyway, i'm done here, do whatever you want with your PC...

That's pretty much it - couldn't have said it better myself (and I'm saying that as someone who actually qualifies as an expert on malicious software).

Hoping for improvements...
    Sorry for not responding deleting the cookies each time I close my browser I have to go through the arc defender... giggle defender LOL...

oh well anyway...

yes I am clueless is it isn't it the client programming is it a weakness in their prograsmming?

It is my fault for going to other sites it is my fault for not paying a third party for the virus protection. My micro soft virus protection missed it. It got past my laughable firewall. arc down loads files to my pc those file were corruptible in my opinion. I unistalled the games deleted the all the arc exe files emptied my trash can unistalled just about every thing that is not microsoft or HP. I have not down loaded any arc files other then allowing the cookie so I could be allowed to post here.

You all are right I am bad I am to stupid to fix stuff so best I never play arc games as I can't fix the malware that comes with having and playing the game. after doing all that uninstalling and deleting I have yet to have any issue with the maleware. I'll just stick to my forum facebook and elvenar maybe magic the gathering arena mixed fellings on that one as it is another hasbo game as isthis one anyway for the foreseeable future.

I do appreciate all of you taking time even if your not happy with what I think or say about the game. It was a free to play program that started this whole mess that I downloaded their software on to my pc. Were I not be poor and just waited to pay for server time I would not have ran in to this issue at all. Nothing in life is free and true to that when you try to get stuff for free it cost you dearly.

Just because some thing that is free and made in the united states does not mean it good or does not have a agenda. Malwarebytes or any other virus ware company's have to make money some how and down loading them you agree to what ever their doing to make money company's they do not give their services out for free. servers, electricity cost money. Band width, internet connection all cost money. not even google or facebook are free their mining information tracking your every move and selling it to advertisement or other information mining company's "Oh I use this VPN no one tracks me" wrong the vpn is tracking you and the free one yea good luck with them.

ever wonder about one drive? the cloud? yea your whole pc is in some server some place were any one can look at the HAMSTER you been down loading they have all your file photos emails chat browser history your links what you been uploading. If thats not enough the voice activated alexa personal assistant... yea awesome huh LOL

anyways your all right I am at fault.

I am stupid.

I am the fool that brought this on my self.

Yes it's on my end now as I downloaded the arc exe hence the virus is in my system hiding most likely in my back up cloud files too so no matter what I do is I connect back to the cloud the virus well simply reinstall it's self.

If I can't afford 1000 + dollars to replace the pc tower I really should not be out surfing the internet or down loading free to play games or go to sites the force you do agree to the vulnerable software/cookies just to post on their forum.

anyways thank you for responding sorry to be a bother no worries I do not plan on down loading any more arc game hence no more reason to come here and bother you nice people enjoy your games, live life to it's fullest, cheerish your loved ones and have a good life....zooom zooom pooof.....
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

Yes it's on my end now as I downloaded the arc exe hence the virus is in my system hiding most likely in my back up cloud files too so no matter what I do is I connect back to the cloud the virus well simply reinstall it's self.

Eh, no. First, that's not how it works. Second, the Arc software is not to blame for your problems ... if it was wouldn't you think others would have the same problem? Third, what you have is technically not a virus.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    @xxsuperheroxx#8731 for someone who has admitted to not knowing how these things work, you do an awful lot of conspiracy theory type rambling. Typical of the world today I suppose...

You have been given advice by people that are knowledgeable on the subject, if you choose to ignore it, that is your right.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • samerikersameriker Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    Yes my malware is up to date, thanks for asking. My advice about this, I just use the anitviralcrap that Windows 10 has on it. I keep my disk handy for system repairs. I only surf the pornsites in Incognito mode, learn it or keep your GFs off the PC. Don't facebook but if you must don't click on the bait. Always be prepared to lose it all. I lost tons of my personal arts and media collection when the HDD crashed. No way to save it from that and that wasn't even a virus, just hardware failure.

You don't GET virus from legit games only the pirated ones, so don't be a scummy pirate and just buy your software legal from Gamestop or Wal-Mart or the man wearing a coat on the street corner. Be nice and always rewind you VHS rental tapes too! Don't smoke cigarettes they will mess you up, don't smoke canabis it is better for you to drink it as an herbal tea.

My best advice for you, don't hang out at playgrounds and parks in a rusty panel van with "Free Candy" written on the side.
    Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion. ~ Mark Twain
    edited March 2021
    sameriker said:

I only surf the pornsites in Incognito mode...

Incognito mode won't save you from virus or malware or... ?!?! Only from parents or girl/boy(friend) :)

sameriker said:

I only surf the pornsites in Incognito mode...

Incognito mode won't save you from virus or malware or... ?!?! Only from parents or girl/boy(friend) :)
    ¿Qué? ¿No entiendes inglés?

You chopped off this part of the complete sentence ... ", learn it or keep your GFs off the PC." duh? :trollface:

Just killing time...
    huh this post is still here interesting dooo deee doooo well I think "stuff" is back to "normal" not sure bla bla bla....

I was not happy and getting even more not happy after posting here. The maleware was still on my computer windows was not removing it reading the news I was of thought that I was clearly not going about this the best way. not saying what I did was the right way but it fixed the issue with in a couple hours.

How did I fix it you are wondering or not.....

Well it was something some one said here about conspiracy's. So giving whats in the news I thought I would try a different approach to my problem. I got on facebook and looked up microsoft their pushing a new software so I posted this comment

why is it your windows ten firewall did not stop adware;win32/browser assistant from installing on my computer? why is it your "windows security" Laugh out loud tells me I have this virus but refuses to quarantine it nor remove it? does Bill gates have stocks in any anti virus company's is windows ten purposely flawed to make a market for anti virus removal and protection? I mean your software tells me I have this high threat virus but there is no way to get it off my computer? this browser assistant is your program you designed it for updates now it is a weapon to take control of your internet web browser my computer is not safe as long as I continue to use windows or any other Microsoft soft ware. that is the problem with monopolizing the market we are forced to use windows a flawed by design program which we have to buy the next version each year. how to I remove your malware from my computer?

a couple hours later I got an update prompt from Microsoft problem solved downloaded the game two nights ago been scoping out to see if the issue returned it has not so hence coming here to tell you all I fixed it and it is not arc's issue it was a microsoft greed issue as they had the fix they just wanted to market the fix by third party proxy.

Thank you for your time and effort and sorry about the chicken little the sky is falling deal zooo zooom poof
  • mwkmwk Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    @xxsuperheroxx#8731 I don't know what you have done to remove this virus? However Kaspersky trial is full latest update on anti-virus and lasts 30 days. Meaning it will remove this virus for sure! That's all you need to do anyway, right? Get rid of the virus! Also change your email password, because it might be hacked to give you the virus? Dont open suspicious emails! Just an extra precaution.

Add some @#$%^&;* or whatever to the password.